Greek NT 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek NT 2017

So season is over for the national team.Should we begin the new thread?It's very early now,but I don't think there is something more to add here.6 out of 12 made it for the first time to the senior team,probably for first and last time a team like this plays together,so we won't need to discuss something more in that topic.What do you think?
    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
    So season is over for the national team.Should we begin the new thread?It's very early now,but I don't think there is something more to add here.6 out of 12 made it for the first time to the senior team,probably for first and last time a team like this plays together,so we won't need to discuss something more in that topic.What do you think?
    Actually, I think that most of these players will play together in the future. Perhaps Katsikaris will leave, and there will be a few modifications. But this team is pretty much it.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
      Actually, I think that most of these players will play together in the future. Perhaps Katsikaris will leave, and there will be a few modifications. But this team is pretty much it.
      I was a bit wrong.Wanted to say that some of the players made the team because of some kind of coincidence like Athinaiou,Bogris,Agravanis and even Charalampopoulos and Thanassis.Even Perperoglou and Bourousis are doubtful.Pappas(?),Printezis,Sloukas,Papanikolaou and Papagiannis(?) + Calathes,Giannis,Papapetrou,Koufos and Mantzaris.That will be IMO the squad,maybe with 1-2 changes those two retire.Dorsey won't be available next year because of the draft I guess.
      1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

I was a bit wrong.Wanted to say that some of the players made the team because of some kind of coincidence like Athinaiou,Bogris,Agravanis and even Charalampopoulos and Thanassis.Even Perperoglou and Bourousis are doubtful.Pappas(?),Printezis,Sloukas,Papanikolaou and Papagiannis(?) + Calathes,Giannis,Papapetrou,Koufos and Mantzaris.That will be IMO the squad,maybe with 1-2 changes those two retire.Dorsey won't be available next year because of the draft I guess.
        I don't see how Perperoglou is doubtful. He is a key player at the moment and has some years left in him. But yes, you are right Printezis, Sloukas, Papanikolaou, Papagiannis, Pappas would be candidates to take the place of players like Athinaiou, Borgis, Agravanis, Charalampopoulos, Thanassis.

That said, it is a matter of time when players like Thanassis and Charalampopoulos will be back in the team again. At least if they make progress and some other players retire.

So it is quite likely than some 9 players of that squad will be part of the roster again some years from now.

Anyway, imo Bouroussis should play at least two more years with the Greek NT and retire at 35 which is still a relatively young age. Greece simply doesn't have the luxury to let him go. He needs to give Papagiannis some time to develop. I think Bouroussis should wait a few months and think clearly about his position.

Comment

so don't you want rebuild your NT in the next Eurobasket?

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
            so don't you want rebuild your NT in the next Eurobasket?
            As R1ou mentioned. Greece already started rebuilding the squad. It's just that the coaching staff didn't have a complete roster, and the team didn't have time to glue. But the pool of talent is basically there. That's what we have to work with and we just need time. I would go for a new coach though, which focuses more on the set game and is closer to the fundamentals of Greek style basketball. And I would ask Bouroussis to stay for at least one more season. At least for the next Eurobasket.

Comment

So I was thinking today about our Eurobasket team,and I think we can have a pretty legit squad.Players needed rest had all the summer free and I suppose that the veterans should be there,if healthy(like everyone else).That's the squad I was thinking about

Calathes,Mantzaris
              Sloukas,Pappas,Dorsey
              Antetokounmpo*,Papanikolaou,Charalampopoulos
              Printezis,Perperoglou
              Koufos,Bourousis

Players that could make the roster

Bochoridis(needs to step up)
              Mavrokefalidis
              Thanasis
              Papapetrou
              Papagiannis*

Papagiannis and Antetokounmpo most likely will be prevented by the Bucks and the Kings to participate here for obvious reasons.Giannis said he'll play,but how possible is it?Kings won't want to risk with Papagiannis choice and could keep him at USA for developing.It helps that he has this whole summer ofc and the Kings should be more elastic.
              1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

So I was thinking today about our Eurobasket team,and I think we can have a pretty legit squad.Players needed rest had all the summer free and I suppose that the veterans should be there,if healthy(like everyone else).That's the squad I was thinking about

Calathes,Mantzaris
                Sloukas,Pappas,Dorsey
                Antetokounmpo*,Papanikolaou,Charalampopoulos
                Printezis,Perperoglou
                Koufos,Bourousis

Players that could make the roster

Bochoridis(needs to step up)
                Mavrokefalidis
                Thanasis
                Papapetrou
                Papagiannis*

Papagiannis and Antetokounmpo most likely will be prevented by the Bucks and the Kings to participate here for obvious reasons.Giannis said he'll play,but how possible is it?Kings won't want to risk with Papagiannis choice and could keep him at USA for developing.It helps that he has this whole summer ofc and the Kings should be more elastic.

Solid squad if they all play. I expect Papagiannis to be integrated as soon as possible with Bourousis close to retirement.

In other news regarding a new coach Vasilakopoulos has said he believes the next coach will be someone who has coached the Greek squad before. I'm hoping it will be Yannakis. Could possibly be Kaslauskas, unlikely to be Zouros as he from what I read is contracted to Georgia.

Comment

As stated above. It seems that Giannakis is once again close to becoming the coach of the Greek NT. Accord to Vassilakopoulis, the president of the Greek basketball federation, the replacement of Katsikaris is probably going to be someone who has coached the team before. Since it's not going to be a non-Greek, it would seem it's Giannakis. Definitely not Zouros.

It will also probably be a long project. At least until the Olympics 2020.

Comment

Seems that Federation will have an arrangment with Itoudis at the weekend.Strange enough,as he had stated some days before that he is not aware of the NT interest for him. Latest reports say that he is the #1 goal right now,but due to the fact that he also coaches CSKA,his recruitment seems impossible.It's also stated that the problem is not financial,but Federation wants someone to run the project until 2020.Giannakis is not amongst the top candidates right now.I'd say go with Itoudis any day at Eurobasket if he is available.We're not for another failure with a roster like this.And Giannakis' selection is a guaranteed one at least for the next year,people will be frustrated if we fail again.Probably once the new calendar starts,he could run the team,assuming first that Itoudis will be unable to do so.

Ο Δημήτρης Ιτούδης είναι στόχος της ΕΟΚ για τον πάγκο της Εθνικής, αναμένεται να υπάρξει επαφή, αλλά πολύ δύσκολα θα είναι αυτός ο νέος ομοσπονδιακός προπονητής.
                    1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Seems that Federation will have an arrangment with Itoudis at the weekend.Strange enough,as he had stated some days before that he is not aware of the NT interest for him. Latest reports say that he is the #1 goal right now,but due to the fact that he also coaches CSKA,his recruitment seems impossible.It's also stated that the problem is not financial,but Federation wants someone to run the project until 2020.Giannakis is not amongst the top candidates right now.I'd say go with Itoudis any day at Eurobasket if he is available.We're not for another failure with a roster like this.And Giannakis' selection is a guaranteed one at least for the next year,people will be frustrated if we fail again.Probably once the new calendar starts,he could run the team,assuming first that Itoudis will be unable to do so.

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/baske...i-alla/3201456
                      It basically says that the Federation will have a talk with Itoudis for any possible future cooperation. It also states that the new FIBA schedule makes it practically impossible for Itoudis to be the next coach.

The only news is that Giannakis is in the background and not a primary candidate, but the above article is contradicting itself. So I can't take it too serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                        I don't think that there will be many absences. Let's not forget that this Eurobasket is the last one until 2021, and that in 2018 there will be no other international tournaments for European national teams.
                        About Greece,Bourousis gave an interview recently where he claimed that he's not going to retire yet.Although he seems below average this year,he's still irreplaceable until Papagiannis reaches his potential.Giannis again claimed that his priority is to be part of the team on summer,doubt it to be honest.Not many possibilities after signing that 100M contract.(Can the federation even pay his insurance?)

It seems that Priftis will be the new coach after latest reports.Had a good first year with Aris,however this year Aris is woeful.

Btw,seems that the tournament will start a week earlier,on late August this time,which means that the preperations will also start earlier.Not the best news for EL guys.
                        1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

About Greece,Bourousis gave an interview recently where he claimed that he's not going to retire yet.Although he seems below average this year,he's still irreplaceable until Papagiannis reaches his potential.Giannis again claimed that his priority is to be part of the team on summer,doubt it to be honest.Not many possibilities after signing that 100M contract.(Can the federation even pay his insurance?)

It seems that Priftis will be the new coach after latest reports.Had a good first year with Aris,however this year Aris is woeful.

Btw,seems that the tournament will start a week earlier,on late August this time,which means that the preperations will also start earlier.Not the best news for EL guys.
                          There is no point for Bourousis to retire now. If anything, he will retire after this Eurobasket since the next tournament is in 2019. Giannis will be there, no doubt. These kind of players are also a way for the NBA to advertise its product. If Gasol, Nowitzky and Parker could play all these years, then why shouldn't Giannis?

In any case, I don't think Priftis would be a good choice. He has no experience on this level. The NT should be coached by someone who has proven himself at the highest level. Not experiments. I have my doubts on Giannakis, but I think he may be the coach for the NT. Ideally, it would be Itoudis though.

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                          Djordjevic commented on the draw and said that we are aiming for gold.

http://www.mozzartsport.com/vesti/sa...basketu/152152
                          If you win silver at the Olympics and WC's, then your target should be gold.

Comment

and what about Spanoulis?
                            officially done?
                            "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Picek View Post
                              and what about Spanoulis?
                              officially done?
                              Yep, he retired from the NT. Zisis as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information