Zmago Sagadin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zmago Sagadin

Unfortunately, I haven´t watched many L. Rytas games when he was in charge there, but I surely remember his Olympija days. I always liked him: his team seemed to be prepared for the game and his coaching during the game was excellent. What is his reputation in Slovenia? Is he not working atm?
    Btw, in Greece he has a reputation for being a tad short-tempered. Is that true?
    Originally posted by Richey666
    yeah. fuck it. greece vs turkey, i dont care, whoever wins, I lose

He is unemployed right now, after he got replaced in Olimpija as well as in Rytas in such a short period he was mentioning he is getting tired of it lately.

He used to be manager as well as coach in some clubs and reason for insisting on keeping the both functions reportedly (noone really knows for sure) costed him a HC spot in Climamio for 02/03 season when things were already decided. Lots of Olimpija fans will blaim him for getting Olimpija into a financial crisis in the 00-02 period, but there is more than just his responsibility and if we're honest, without him there wouldn't be any financial crisis, but neither would Olimpija reach the level it did and which they're trying (unsuccesfuly) to maintain through the last period.

He is a difficult person to cope with, along with his authority, short tempered and his game system implies he is kind of control freak (that system works though) and that are to my belief the reasons for the duration of his recent short adventures. When he came back to Olimpija to replace Grdović, Halperin made a phone call to his ex-Maccabi teamate asking him about Sagadin, Jasikevičius words were: "that guy is absolutely crazy, but he is the best thing that can happen to your career at this moment" and I think Šaras was/is right about that, Sagadin must be one of the best talent bruisers there are. Players tend to agree some of his methods are weird and he overeacts sometimes with more than 7 hour practices per day (which are untolerable for older players as Walter Berry that quickly returned to Greece after a two month adventure in Olimpija), but to my belief every slovenian talent that doesn't get through his hands is deprivileged for some big dose of knowledge and experience, that succesfully shaped up quite some european players.

He probably considers this below his level, but I'd be more than satisfied if he decided to work either with some 18 y.o. kids or talent raising club as Slovan, since it's a big waste not to use the knowledge he has.
    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by BrutalDlx
      Unfortunately, I haven´t watched many L. Rytas games when he was in charge there, but I surely remember his Olympija days. I always liked him: his team seemed to be prepared for the game and his coaching during the game was excellent. What is his reputation in Slovenia? Is he not working atm?
      Btw, in Greece he has a reputation for being a tad short-tempered. Is that true?
      He is not working at the moment. He is strict and old school coach. As he said few times already he is open for coaching job only if a team with "winning ULEB Cup/Euroleague goal" comes by...

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

I really hope to see him coaching a Greek team some day; there is sufficient talent, but not enough "talent-bruisers", as you put it Matiz. I don´t think that Pao or Oly would give him the chance, yet there are teams such as Aris, AEK, Panionios and even a healthy PAOK that might and probably should (although he has raised the bar a little too high: none of these teams can be considered as serious Euroleague/ULEB cup contenders, except of course if Aris fails to qualify for the EL next season).
        Originally posted by Richey666
        yeah. fuck it. greece vs turkey, i dont care, whoever wins, I lose

Comment

Update on Zmago Sagadin: He said he isn't planning on returning to basketball anytime soon, but he said maybe someday, but he isn't sure. He even said that he doesn't even follow Euroleague games anymore.

For time being he is enjoying life, mostly on Krk (Croatia's island) where he has a house and a boat. He was in Paris, now he is in Prague visiting his daughter and so on... doing things he had no time to do when he was still a coach.

Comment

We got informed by a reliable source that Slovenian coach Zmago Sagadin agreed terms for next season with WTK Anwil Wloclawek. Sagadin is in Wloclawek since yesterday and he will sign one year contract within next 48 hours. He will replace other Slovenian coach Ales Pipan who already agreed terms with Zlatorog Lasko. Zmago Sagadin 's last coaching job was in Lithuania where he coached Lietuvos Rytas. Besides Lietuvos Rytas he also coached Celje, Maribor, Olimpija Ljubljana, Split and Crvena Zvezda.
            By Eurobasket

yeah We have great coach, now time for great succes !!!!

Comment

I was wondering who exactly is that reliable source?
              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

"Ponudbo imam, v enem tednu se bom odločil, če se bom res vrnil k trenerskemu poslu in podpisal za Anwil," je za MMC povedal Sagadin
                I do have an offer, I'll decide within a week if i'll really return into basketball and sign for Anwil, said Sagadin for MMC...
                ...meaning there is an offer, nothing more nothing less...

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan
                  I do have an offer, I'll decide within a week if i'll really return into basketball and sign for Anwil, said Sagadin for MMC...
                  ...meaning there is an offer, nothing more nothing less...
                  Quoting Dr. Gregory House - "Everybody lies". Including Zmago Sagadin .
                  Why you should going out to get a hamburger, if you can get steak at home?

Comment

Originally posted by woma
                    Quoting Dr. Gregory House - "Everybody lies". Including Zmago Sagadin .
                    meaning that he already signed, or that he doesn't even have an offer (that "everybody lies" part got me confused ) thank you Woma

Comment

It's official - Zmago Sagadin signed with Anwil!

Comment

Still no info on Anwil's official site, but Zmago Sagadin is gone from the club.
                        Reason for it? Very offensive anti-club interview in "Basket" magazine, plus players vendetta against him, lead by former NT star Andrzej Pluta.

Probably both sides won't solve contract termination issues, so they will met in the court soon.

Edit: It's officially official - http://www.wtkanwil.com.pl/index.php...d=339&id_kat=1
                        Last edited by woma; 10-10-2008, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by woma
                          Still no info on Anwil's official site, but Zmago Sagadin is gone from the club.
                          Reason for it? Very offensive anti-club interview in "Basket" magazine, plus players vendetta against him, lead by former NT star Andrzej Pluta.

Probably both sides won't solve contract termination issues, so they will met in the court soon.

Edit: It's officially official - http://www.wtkanwil.com.pl/index.php...d=339&id_kat=1
                          Could you describe a little what Sagadin said in this interview?
                          "Rudy Gay is a pretty good young player and yet he might be the only BB player that people feel very uncomfortable wearing his jersey."

Comment

Originally posted by boki
                            Could you describe a little what Sagadin said in this interview?
                            After Sagadin signed a contract he was telling how great Anwil's organization is, how talented young players are, etc...
                            He was even saying the same in private conversations.

In this interview he was all about complaining. We don't have a chance for winning a title, I hope that Turow wins it, we need one center more, because our best inside player Paravinja is injured and Miller isn't good enough, our clubs have better young players, which gives them advantage (we have a rule in Poland starting this season, that one player born in 86 or later has to play in 2nd quarter - I know playing young guys is natural in Slovenia, but not here), etc...

Comment

Typical Sagadin... He always protects his ass this way. He will never admit, that he made some mistake. If there is a mistake, he looks for someone to blame. That's his character and that is why he isn't popular in Slovenia also. I think it's time for him to retire, because it's obvious his time has gone by many years ago.
                              "Rudy Gay is a pretty good young player and yet he might be the only BB player that people feel very uncomfortable wearing his jersey."

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information