Ray "Bobby" Parks Jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    well its just two games. i am reserving my opinion after the season is over. hopefully he gets his act together.
    Off course we will wait and hope his game will come around. but just looking at his core skills, he really doesn't have the goods. You can't manufacture that. it's either you developed it thru the years or not. You have a lot of players who despite not getting the stats and are struggling , you can see has the potential. From what i see with Parks , it's simply not there. He's never shot at a high % from three in any league. (even against inferior UAAP players), he's averaging zero, Not 5 or 6 pts in the D- league. I hope i'm wrong, but like i said i've never seen anyone go from zero to averaging like 30 pts , or from low % shooter to all of a sudden be a great shooter. Or suspect ball handler and PG to being an excellent facilatator. I can't really see the goods.
    I've seen athletic players who are raw , become great defensive players and develop a reliable outside shot (e.g. Bowen , Danny Green), but Parks , there is nothing no upside.

Since it's been awhile since we last saw parks in competitive ball here in the Philippines, i was hoping him working on his game in the US would translate to a more skilled game, but watching him play (there really isn't any noticable improvement that is needed to get to that level
    Last edited by analyzed; 11-16-2015, 01:24 AM.
    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
    https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• The worst thing about Parks situation is this:
      Coach Van exel and the Legends have just confirmed with their actions the real reason why they made Parks their 1st choice in the draft.
      Go figure he was their first choice (legends) , yet he is one of the last players off the bench (in the 10 man team) , Van excel actions (giving limited time) is clearly inconsistent with his talk of high regard for Parks.
      This just confirms it's a marketing gimick
      NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Can they boot out Parks? How do player contracts work in the D-League? How easy is it to replace him?

Realistically-speaking Parks won't find it easy to succeed in the D-League, not to mention the NBA. He is playing with guys from the NCAA, D-League veterans and former players in Europe, the same guys we get as imports here in the PBA. The same guys who dominate leagues abroad but can't even crack the worst NBA teams.

To be at par with them means he needs to play like a PBA import at the very least. To be called up to the NBA means he needs to be better than guys like Champ Oguchi, Reggie Williams, Andre Emmett, Donald Sloan, Mario West and Jeremy Wise.

Let's be real. If the top performers on his team haven't been called up, what more Parks?

He should stay in the US until the next PBA draft comes. Then he should come home because at the end of the day, it will eventually be about the money. Hopefully he will now be better than how he was in NU and Hapee.
        Last edited by greenarcher; 11-17-2015, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by greenarcher View Post
          Can they boot out Parks? How does player contracts work in the D-League? How easy is it to replace him?
          My memory of Jap's situation escapes me, ( but i remember they have a 10 man travelling team ) thing is a lot of the 10 don't last the full season (e.g. get a call up or get an offer overseas which pays better).. As a 2nd round pick i think Parks has a a guranteed contract for the season. (which doesn't pay much) , but the point is as the 10 man team will surely lose players (to call -ups and offers outside), Parks is unlikely to be cut. (he's actually one of the few players in the roster that is happy to be there, most of his teammates who are blue chip college stars. see playing in the d-league as like being in pergatory , they're waiting for offers and call -ups and will take the 1st opportunity they can get out of there. If a PBA team offers any of his teamates a contract as an import. they're gone!

BTW the whole team minus the NBA players relegated are drafted, so really Parks being the 1st pick of the legends and a bench warmer is really ironic. He's literally like their mascot or the face of the team but sits on the bench

Comment

• So he got drafted before his other teammates? Talk about marketing!

I guess he just has to wait for his teammates to be picked up by teams abroad then he will get his playing time eventually.

Comment

• ^
              Absolutely for Marketing : Reynolds and Bropleh who were selected after Parks all average more minutes (double in fact) , as i said Exel and the legends talk of Parks (as in anlaysis below is inconsistent to their actions of how they use him)

Texas Legends (Dallas)

Round Player Pos. School
              2 Bobby Ray Parks, Jr. G Philippines
              4 Justin Reynolds F Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
              5 Jon Octeus* G Purdue
              5 Thomas Bropleh G Boise State
              7 Stan Simpson F Memphis
              *Traded to Oklahoma City for Patrick Miller

Analysis: Parks, one of the Philippines’ best young players the past few years, played for the Mavericks Summer League squad and impressed enough to be picked with their first selection. He has the ability to create his shot in a variety of ways, as well as being able to move to the point guard spot if needed. His game still needs a lot of refining, but the Legends’ staff will help him a lot.

Comment

So he got drafted before his other teammates? Talk about marketing!

I guess he just has to wait for his teammates to be picked up by teams abroad then he will get his playing time eventually.
                Yes realistically he should get minutes. but it also depends on who they get to replace the call -ups or players who leave. (most likely they're not as good) , but really his chances really look dim from a purely player perspective (not marketing) of getting a call up. I've never seen a guard who avg zero in any 2 games get a call up eventually.

Comment

• If orlando johnson, who scored 40 + points with BGSM, scored fewer than 5 points in their season debut how much more BRP jr? It'll be a long hill to climb for parks jr.
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                    If orlando johnson, who scored 40 + points with BGSM, scored fewer than 5 points in their season debut how much more BRP jr? It'll be a long hill to climb for parks jr.
                    I don't think there is a single ex-import who Parks can beat either by output or 1 on 1. So yes it really is a steep climb for him.

I would use the experience to get better but landing on an NBA team is very far-fetched unless a team decides to do a Tabuse or Sun Yue on him.

Comment

• ^
                      Or a Manny Pacquiao the legends are obviously already doing a Tubase
                      I'll give Van Excel credit , he's a very diplomatic and politically correct in interviews

Comment

• i'm sure i'm sounding like I'm un- supportive of Parks, don't get me wrong I admire his decision to play in the d-league, and it's an excellent opportunity for Parks to develop, He should only get better with the experience.

But let's call a spade a spade his selection and inclusion is really too obvious a marketing gimmick

Comment

I don't think there is a single ex-import who Parks can beat either by output or 1 on 1. So yes it really is a steep climb for him.

I would use the experience to get better but landing on an NBA team is very far-fetched unless a team decides to do a Tabuse or Sun Yue on him.
                          My wish is that he at least reaches his late father's level of play (non-lemon PBA import level). Hopefully playing against this level of talent (at least in practice) and having access to better sports science facilities and coaching personnel will be a big help for him.

But in the long run, decent 6-4 combo guards are a dime a dozen in the US, making an NBA callup unlikely. Rayray has yet to showcase the level of talent that would make him stand out from among the incredibly deep guard pool in US basketball. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

I wonder though if he get more PT if tries out for another league, like maybe in a 2nd division European league, or in South America or Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                            Off course we will wait and hope his game will come around. but just looking at his core skills, he really doesn't have the goods. You can't manufacture that. it's either you developed it thru the years or not. You have a lot of players who despite not getting the stats and are struggling , you can see has the potential. From what i see with Parks , it's simply not there. He's never shot at a high % from three in any league. (even against inferior UAAP players), he's averaging zero, Not 5 or 6 pts in the D- league. I hope i'm wrong, but like i said i've never seen anyone go from zero to averaging like 30 pts , or from low % shooter to all of a sudden be a great shooter. Or suspect ball handler and PG to being an excellent facilatator. I can't really see the goods.
                            I've seen athletic players who are raw , become great defensive players and develop a reliable outside shot (e.g. Bowen , Danny Green), but Parks , there is nothing no upside.

Since it's been awhile since we last saw parks in competitive ball here in the Philippines, i was hoping him working on his game in the US would translate to a more skilled game, but watching him play (there really isn't any noticable improvement that is needed to get to that level

an exception to the rule that "never seen anyone go from zero to averaging like 30 pts , or from low % shooter to all of a sudden be a great shooter" is the lose of confidence.. having inferiority all of a sudden.. being overwhelmed. I think parks is all that. Another factor going against him is his being too obedient. he did that with NU, and he is doing that again her in D-League.

In NU, had he really have the drive, he could have gotten out of his way to make his teammates more ready to play instead of waiting for him or supporting him. I remember in Grantland story, he was asking Coach ewan Altamirano if he can do the things like passing, being a little bit passive, etc. and let his teammates do more.. coach Ewan Altamirano said that Parks should do it all because they don't have the means yet to really contend.. tiis lang daw muna... what Parks could have done that time, is to really go on Bwakaw mode for the next 3 years like bwakaw as in American Import mode, or he should have resisted Coach Ewan's Approach and talked and trained individually to his teammates so that he could have included them more in the game. Having done this, he would have been a much better outspoken leader, a better point guard, better defender, a better SG, a better SF, and hence a much better all around player.

In the summer league as well as in the D-League, Parks is doing the obedient soldier again.. I know he should be... but what I am saying is, you need to find an opportunity to really show your wares in order for the coaching staff to give you more leeway. An example of this is when Pingris decided to defend an opposing import longer than he should have. the team suffered a few blunders during that game, but at the end of the game, the star shots won because of what Pingris did.

it is a risky and tricky proposition. but if you are passionate enough... and sincere enough and the coach staff sees an allowance for error to be committed, such actions may actually pay off. But Parks is not that guy.. So, he would suffer the circumstances again like he had in NU.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaVi View Post
                              an exception to the rule that "never seen anyone go from zero to averaging like 30 pts , or from low % shooter to all of a sudden be a great shooter" is the lose of confidence.. having inferiority all of a sudden.. being overwhelmed. I think parks is all that. Another factor going against him is his being too obedient. he did that with NU, and he is doing that again her in D-League.

In NU, had he really have the drive, he could have gotten out of his way to make his teammates more ready to play instead of waiting for him or supporting him. I remember in Grantland story, he was asking Coach ewan Altamirano if he can do the things like passing, being a little bit passive, etc. and let his teammates do more.. coach Ewan Altamirano said that Parks should do it all because they don't have the means yet to really contend.. tiis lang daw muna... what Parks could have done that time, is to really go on Bwakaw mode for the next 3 years like bwakaw as in American Import mode, or he should have resisted Coach Ewan's Approach and talked and trained individually to his teammates so that he could have included them more in the game. Having done this, he would have been a much better outspoken leader, a better point guard, better defender, a better SG, a better SF, and hence a much better all around player.

In the summer league as well as in the D-League, Parks is doing the obedient soldier again.. I know he should be... but what I am saying is, you need to find an opportunity to really show your wares in order for the coaching staff to give you more leeway. An example of this is when Pingris decided to defend an opposing import longer than he should have. the team suffered a few blunders during that game, but at the end of the game, the star shots won because of what Pingris did.

it is a risky and tricky proposition. but if you are passionate enough... and sincere enough and the coach staff sees an allowance for error to be committed, such actions may actually pay off. But Parks is not that guy.. So, he would suffer the circumstances again like he had in NU.
                              is this a complimentary or hate term? i'm interested

Comment

• Originally posted by Wannabe View Post
                                is this a complimentary or hate term? i'm interested
                                ha complementary to Parks I guess, and a hate term to coach Ewan hahaha

If you would look back naman kasi, the NU team is a strong team. They did the dugas way of supposedly supporting the youth team's development, only to find out that their intention was to pluck these kids and bring them to NU. I like those NU teams. plus with Parks, Jr and their capacity -- it is not an overstatement to say that they could win a championship in Parks, Jr second year in NU. In fact, they were consistent semifinalists.. and that can be owing to the capabilities of the kids. Coach Ewan lang was too complacent.. and he did not help improve Parks, Jr abilities. He wasted not only Parks, Jr. talent but all the other members of the National Youth team that went NUs way.. so yeah, it is a hate term against coach E.. but then that is just my opinion hehehehe

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information