FIBA 2017 AmeriCup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usagre View Post
    I am very surprised that USA basketball is even participating in this meaningless tournament. They didn't send a team the previous two Americas tournaments in 2013 and 2009 in which nothing was at stake. If I had to guess now that this tournament will not serve as an Olympic qualifier they probably won't send a team again.

The only purpose I can see this tournament serving the USA going forward is that considering similar type of players will participate in the upcoming qualification for the Fiba World Cup in 2019 it might be a chance for a group of players to gain some experience and cohesion as unit. Same thing for next tournament in 2021 and corresponding qualifying for 2023 World Cup.
    But then again with about 7 teams making it from the region they could pretty much send any combination out there and qualify.
    Because they have to. The only way to qualify for the World Qualifiers is the participate in the Zone Cups. Which means you can't skip them anymore.

Comment

Eurobasket has a long illustrious history and can survive and stand on its own without automatic qualifiers to world events attached. This tournament has no prestige or history and in my opinion will become obsolete and dissapear sooner than people think. Other than serving for Olympic qualifiers it means nothing. The last time an American title had any juice was the old Pan American games up until 1991. Until that point it was second in prestige to the Usa only behind the Olympics and ahead of the World Championships. You'll never see that again.
      Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Eurobasket has a long illustrious history and can survive and stand on its own without automatic qualifiers to world events attached. This tournament has no prestige or history and in my opinion will become obsolete and dissapear sooner than people think. Other than serving for Olympic qualifiers it means nothing. The last time an American title had any juice was the old Pan American games up until 1991. Until that point it was second in prestige to the Usa only behind the Olympics and ahead of the World Championships. You'll never see that again.
        As long as they tie participation in them to other bigger events they're not going away anytime soon. That's why Brazil wanted to make sure they could compete. Missing it would lock them out of everything until after 2020.
        It's less important than before but still required. Which seems like a long road to travel to force Team USA to send a team again.

Comment

I am very surprised that USA basketball is even participating in this meaningless tournament. They didn't send a team the previous two Americas tournaments in 2013 and 2009 in which nothing was at stake. If I had to guess now that this tournament will not serve as an Olympic qualifier they probably won't send a team again.

The only purpose I can see this tournament serving the USA going forward is that considering similar type of players will participate in the upcoming qualification for the Fiba World Cup in 2019 it might be a chance for a group of players to gain some experience and cohesion as unit. Same thing for next tournament in 2021 and corresponding qualifying for 2023 World Cup.
          But then again with about 7 teams making it from the region they could pretty much send any combination out there and qualify.
          I think USA didnt participate because they didnt have to. IIRC it used to be that the team that won the olympics was automatically qualified to the world cup, and the team that won the world cup automatically qualified to the olympics.

Comment

Yeah you're right. But my main point is that this year's tournament and going forward will be the first time that this tournament since its inception in 1980 will have no qualification attached. So basically the only meaning in theory is to determine the champion of the Americas. That can fly in Eurobasket but with the USA not sending anything resembling a top team the title will be hollow. The Pan American games in 1991 and prior to always had legitimacy because the USA sent
            top collegiate players. So for example Brazil who won it in '87 or Puerto Rico in '91 can make a legitimate claim as champion of the Americas since under the rules of the day they beat a top USA team. This tournament will crown a hollow meaningless champion.
            Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Yes, I see your point. Let's see how the new format pans out and what teams the countries will be able to assemble for the windows.

Comment

Yeah you're right. But my main point is that this year's tournament and going forward will be the first time that this tournament since its inception in 1980 will have no qualification attached. So basically the only meaning in theory is to determine the champion of the Americas. That can fly in Eurobasket but with the USA not sending anything resembling a top team the title will be hollow. The Pan American games in 1991 and prior to always had legitimacy because the USA sent
                top collegiate players. So for example Brazil who won it in '87 or Puerto Rico in '91 can make a legitimate claim as champion of the Americas since under the rules of the day they beat a top USA team. This tournament will crown a hollow meaningless champion.
                Qualifications are still attached. You qualify by just being there. Winning doesn't mean anything. Like how the Oceania Championship for the World Cup was set up. A series of expedition games really.

Comment

The last time an American title had any juice was the old Pan American games up until 1991. Until that point it was second in prestige to the Usa only behind the Olympics and ahead of the World Championships. You'll never see that again.
                  The Pan American games in 1991 and prior to always had legitimacy because the USA sent top collegiate players. So for example Brazil who won it in '87 or Puerto Rico in '91 can make a legitimate claim as champion of the Americas since under the rules of the day they beat a top USA team.
                  My brother-in-law was the back-up center for the Canadian team at the 1967 PanAm games. Unfortunately the Canadian team lost to Argentina, Brazil, Cuba and Mexico and finished last in its preliminary group of five. As a result it did not make the playoffs and my brother-in-law is still disappointed that he never got to play against the U.S. team which included future Hall of Famers Walt Frazier and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

The Canadian team salvaged some pride that year though by finishing ahead of Columbia in the final standings.... Still I think just making Canada's national team was and is an incredible accomplishment for any player.

Comment

USA Training Camp roster for AmeriCup
                    Sacramento Kings
                    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                      My brother-in-law was the back-up center for the Canadian team at the 1967 PanAm games. Unfortunately the Canadian team lost to Argentina, Brazil, Cuba and Mexico and finished last in its preliminary group of five. As a result it did not make the playoffs and my brother-in-law is still disappointed that he never got to play against the U.S. team which included future Hall of Famers Walt Frazier and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

The Canadian team salvaged some pride that year though by finishing ahead of Columbia in the final standings.... Still I think just making Canada's national team was and is an incredible accomplishment for any player.

Sounds interesting, do you have more details on that Canadian team?

Concerning the US team, just to point out that neither Monroe nor Frazier did participate. Despite being the top scorer at the trials Monroe was cut and Frazier wasn't invited. However, US team resulted quite strong, loaded with such future pro stars like Wes Unseld, JoJo White and Darel Carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by carlo View Post
                        Concerning the US team, just to point out that neither Monroe nor Frazier did participate. Despite being the top scorer at the trials Monroe was cut and Frazier wasn't invited.
                        Well then I guess my brother-in-law Doug doesn't need to feel so disappointed after all!

However, US team resulted quite strong, loaded with such future pro stars like Wes Unseld, JoJo White and Darel Carrier.

http://www.interbasket.net/forums/sh...=1#post1108391
                        To be fair to Doug though he probably said Wesley Unseld whom I confounded with Earl Monroe because the two were teammates on the great 1970-71 Baltimore Bullets team.

I'll see what more I can learn about that team, but it included now Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame member Barry Howson:

Barry Howson

Doug played for the Beck Spartans high school basketball team with Barry Howson for a year. They also played together on other London area men's basketball teams including the Sarnia Drawbridge Inn Knights which won the Gold at the Canada Winter Games in 1967. Interesting as well that Barry Howson was an incredible all around athlete. He played Senior Intercounty baseball (Ontario's top league) with the St.Thomas Elgins in the 1960’s.

Barry also played football with the London Lords of the Senior Ontario Rugby Football Union which was one level below the CFL at the time and served as a farm league. Doug himself was offered a contract by the Ottawa Rough Riders of the CFL in 1961. The Rough Riders liked Doug's 6'5 1/2" height and wanted him to eventually replace Canadian Football HOF member Kaye Vaughan on the defensive line. Their plan was for Doug to add about 60 pounds to his 220 pound frame. Doug didn't much like that idea though and he preferred basketball anyway. He turned down the Rough Riders' not entirely generous offer. Doug still works out at the YMCA every day and is a very strong and fit 230 pounds or so. Unfortunately decades of playing basketball and jogging on pavement have left his knees shot and he's had knee replacement surgery.

Last edited by Hepcat; 08-16-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

USA announce 16-man preliminary squad ahead of AmeriCup
                          COLORADO SPRINGS - The USA have invited 16 players with NBA, NBA G-League and international club experience to a training camp at the University of Houston to prepare for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.

Mostly G-league players, plus three foreign pros and a couple NBAers (Marshall Plumlee and Darrun Hilliard - at least they were in the NBA last season).

No news on Canada's roster. Tick tock...

USA 16-player preliminary squad for FIBA AmeriCup 2017
                          Billy Baron
                          Rod Benson
                          Alec Brown
                          Larry Drew II
                          Reggie Hearn
                          Darrun Hilliard
                          Jonathan Holmes
                          Ra'Shad James
                          Kendall Marshall
                          Darius Morris
                          Xavier Munford
                          Marshall Plumlee
                          Jameel Warney
                          CJ Williams
                          Reggie Williams
                          Derek Willis

Not too bad considering the circumstances.
                          Seven of the players expected at training camp have experience of playing regular season games in the NBA. They are Larry Drew, Darrun Hilliard, Kendall Marshall, Darius Morris, Xavier Munford, Marshall Plumlee and Reggie Williams.

This lists their most recent clubs:

Comment

Panama 12-player list for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.

PANAMA CITY (FIBA AmeriCup 2017) – Manuel Hussein, Head Coach of the Panamanian National Team, announced the 12-player list for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tres equis View Post
                              Panama 12-player list for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.

http://www.fiba.basketball/americup/...-americup-2017
                              Looks like they've finally shed some of the old guys. No Akil Mitchell, who only played a few games in the D-League after his nasty eye injury in the NBL last year.
                              Originally posted by Fedfan
                              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                              Originally posted by GuTO
                              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                                To be fair to Doug though he probably said Wesley Unseld whom I confounded with Earl Monroe because the two were teammates on the great 1970-71 Baltimore Bullets team.
                                When I talked to Doug about that U.S. team this morning, the two players he mentioned were Wes Unseld and Jo Jo White.

Doug said the Canadian team was competitive in all the games it played, but ended up on the wrong end of the score every time. Here are the names of some of the players:

Bob Croft (who played in the ABA in 1970-71)
                                Barry Howson
                                Bob Inglis
                                John Cook
                                Bob Burrows
                                Dave Murphy
                                Fred Ingladson
                                Gene Rizak
                                Robin Fry
                                Doug Shaver

Comment

Working...
                                X