FIBA 2017 AmeriCup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA 2017 AmeriCup!

So I see that the FIBA 2017 AmeriCup will tip-off on August 25th. It will be contested in the cities of Medellin of Columbia, Montevideo of Uruguay, and Bahia Blanca and Cordoba of Argentina.

The drawing of the groups for the preliminary round went as follows:

GROUP A - Medellin

Brazil
    Puerto Rico
    Mexico
    Columbia

GROUP B - Bahia Blanca

Virgin Islands
    Argentina
    Venezuela
    Canada

GROUP C - Montevideo

Dominican Republic
    USA
    Panama
    Uruguay

Last edited by Hepcat; 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM.

I've not seen any coverage of this event yet in the local press. The only thing I "know" about Canada's team is that tryouts will be held in Toronto in mid-August. This in my opinion is cutting it too close to the tournament for team building purposes.

Nonetheless I hope to see the Scrubb brothers or any other players who once attended a Canadian university end up on the team.

Last edited by Hepcat; 08-06-2017, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Teams won't send proper squads and the tournament really holds no meaning
      We The North

Comment

The tournament was always a glorified qualification tournament, and now it's no longer even that.
        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
          The tournament was always a glorified qualification tournament, and now it's no longer even that.
          Yuuupppp.....

If I could stream it for free i still would, but won't be paying for it. Teams will just use this tournament to get their second and third tier squads without NBA players ready to compete in this new qualifying format.....
          We The North

Comment

While all that may be so, there won't be any asterisk beside the tournament in the record books. Accordingly in five to ten years time all anyone will see is the medal winners, and that's all anyone will care about. Therefore I'd still like to see Canada get the Gold.

Comment

Prelim rosters are starting to surface.

I took a look at Mexico's preliminary list. Looks like a pretty solid squad. All their primary players are there (Gutierrez, Hernandez, Mota, Cruz, Stoll). Seems they are taking this tournament pretty seriously.

Brazil's list is almost entirely made up of young guys, including guys like Bruno Caboclo and George de Paula. Seems they're looking at it as more of a development opportunity.

Puerto Rico has a couple of familiar names (including Shabazz Napier - when did he start playing for PR?), but not too many I recognize. They also had a bunch of guys near the end of their careers the last few tournaments though, with guys like Arroyo, Balkman and Barea, so maybe it's a youth movement more by necessity than design.

No announcement with Canada yet but we expect it to be a team of lower level Pro's and maybe some youth sprinkled in (CIS, RJ Barrett etc.).-We are trying to keep track of the possible player pool for the WC qualification on the RealGM Raptors Board (Look for the Team Canada Basketball thread).

Here is what we are thinking might be available (assuming the AmeriCup would use this pool too, but who knows if they add some EuroLeague or NBA guys).

Canada's Potential Player Pool for FIBA AmeriCup and WC Qualification Games
              This list is focusing on Pro players - Canada Basketball has stated that some CIS guys and younger prospects might be involved as well.

Probably's: (Signed with teams where they officially wont be restricted to play, or FAs that most likely don't sign with restricted teams ie: Euroleague/NBA.

Jermaine Anderson (PG) FA Last season in France
              Junior Caduogan (PG) last season in NBL
              Duane Notice (PG) FA Last season in NCAA
              Olivier Hanlan (PG/SG) FA? last season signed in France. FIBA Champions League team

Justin Edwards (SG) FA? last season in Hungary
              Devoe Joseph (SG) FA? last season in Venezuela
              Andy Rautins (SG) FA? last season in Turkey
              Jason Calliste (SG FA? last season in D-League
              Brady Heslip (SG) signed in Turkey
              Daniel Mullins (SG) FA? last season in Finland

Dyshawn Pierre (SF) signed in Italy. FIBA Champions League team
              Jermaine Bucknor (SF) FA? last season in Germany/Argentina
              Thomas Scrubb (SF) signed in Italy. FIBA Champions League team
              Jevohn Shepperd (SF) FA. signed in France FIBA Champions League team
              Kris Joseph (SF) FA? last season in Italy

Olu Ashaolu (PF) FA? Last season in Japan
              Kyle Landry (PF) FA Last season in Russia
              Chris Boucher (PF/C) signed a two way for G-League
              Owen Klassen (PF/C) signed in Greece
              Jordan Bachynski (C) signed in Japan
              Rob Sacre (C) signed in Japan
              Sim Bhullar (C) Parts unknown, weight unknown....last season in Taiwan and China 2nd Division.

Maybe's: (have the potential to be with teams that won't release them)
              Xavier Rathan Maynes (PG) FA - has a NYK camp invite
              Phil Scrubb (PG/SG) FA. Last year in Germany.
              Dylan Ennis (PG/SG) citizenship - tied to Jamaica? Signed in Serbia.
              Carl English (SG) FA? Maybe retired from National Team?
              Naz Long (SG) FA - citizenship, may play for Greece
              RJ Barrett (SG/SF) Highschool. He is good enough for this team and obviously has tight ties with the program. I could see him taking a break from Monteverde and playing.
              Andrew Nicholson (PF) - FA. Last year in NBA
              Melvin Ejim (PF) Signed in Russia. EuroCup team - unknown if he will be released
              Anthony Bennett (PF/C) FA. Last year in NBA/Euroleague
              Joel Anthony (C) FA - Retired? Last year in NBA

Probably Not's:
              Kyle Wilter (PF) FA Last year in NBA/D-League. Strong rumors tying him to Baskonia (EuroLeague team)
              Dillon Brooks (SF/PF) - Signed with Grizzlies. A chance he will be in the G-league, but doubtful.
              Khem Birch (PF/C) Signed with Magic. Non-guaranteed deal. Could be cut or sent to G-League
              Trey Lyles (PF) Traded to Denver. A chance he will be in the G-League (lots of PFs on Denver roster)

No's: NBA won't release players in conflict windows, neither will Euroleague. We might get them for the summer series'
              All NBA guys.
              Kevin Pangos (PG) Euroleague
              Aaron Doornekamp (SF/PF) Euroleague
              Stefan Jankovic (PF) Euroeague - said he wants to play for Serbia
              Myck Kabongo (PG) last season Mexico? NBL? Playing for DR Congo in FIBA Afrobasket.

Comment

Originally posted by locdogjr View Post
                Teams won't send proper squads and the tournament really holds no meaning
                Well....this tournament qualifies 7 teams for the panamerican games....it has some meaning....¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post

Puerto Rico has a couple of familiar names (including Shabazz Napier - when did he start playing for PR?), but not too many I recognize. They also had a bunch of guys near the end of their careers the last few tournaments though, with guys like Arroyo, Balkman and Barea, so maybe it's a youth movement more by necessity than design.
                  He has yet to play for Puerto rico, and portland did not allow him to play this summer, he has shown interest in playing in future tournaments. His mom is puerto rican so that's why he is eligible to play for PR.
                  sigpic

Comment

Mexico's coach Valdeomillos works currently with these 18 players.

Jorge Gutiérrez, Trabszonspor (TUR)
                    Paul Stoll, Unics Kazan (RUS)
                    Alex Pérez, San Lorenzo (ARG)
                    Pedro Meza, Soles de Mexicali (MEX)
                    Diego Willis, Canarias (ESP)
                    Myron Molina, Academia Conade (MEX)
                    Francisco Cruz, Fuenlabrada (ESP)
                    Josué Lara, St. Augustine High School (USA)
                    Gabriel Girón, Fuerza Regia (MEX)
                    Juan Toscano, Fuerza Regia (MEX)
                    Jorge de la Serna, Academia Conade (MEX)
                    Héctor Hernández, Fuerza Regia (MEX)
                    Antonio Álvarez, Canarias (ESP)
                    Edgar Garibay, Guaiqueríes de Margarita (VEN)
                    Irwin Ávalos, Santos de San Luis Potosí (MEX)
                    Lorenzo Mata, Toros de Nuevo Laredo (MEX)
                    Israel Gutiérrez, Argentino de Junín (ARG)
                    Fernando Benítez, Panteras de Aguascalientes (MEX)

All bold-marked players should make the team...

I from Wisconsin!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Venezuela announce 15-player preliminary list for FIBA AmeriCup title defense

Angel Blanco
                      Harol Cazorla
                      Heissler Guillent
                      Gregory Vargas
                      Pedro Chourio
                      John Cox
                      César García
                      José Materán
                      José Vargas
                      Anthony Pérez
                      José Bravo
                      Miguel Ruiz
                      Luis Carrillo
                      Néstor Colmenares
                      Windi Graterol

CARACAS (FIBA AmeriCup 2017) – The Venezuelan Basketball Federation (FVB) announced a 15-player list that will head to Spain to begin preparations for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.

And Columbia

BOGOTA (FIBA AmeriCup 2017) - The players of joint hosts Colombia have joined coach Guillermo Moreno and begun getting ready for the FIBA AmeriCup.

And USA confirming it will be using G-League players (this will be interesting)
                      COLORADO SPRINGS (FIBA AmeriCup 2017) - The United States will hold their training camp for the FIBA AmeriCup August 17-24 at the University of Houston, USA Basketball have announced.

Camp starts Aug 17

Comment

USA starting camp on august 17?, that's kind of late.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tres equis View Post
                          USA starting camp on august 17?, that's kind of late.
                          I am sure that the AmeriCup is part of training camp for the USA.
                          They like Canada, probably aren't even close to knowing who will be there yet. For Canada all we know is:

"The FIBA Men's AmeriCup 2017 will help prepare our men's national team to compete in the new FIBA competition structure. This team will be fielded with professional players from overseas and potentially USports (Canadian university system) athletes. Tryouts and training to take place in Toronto in mid-August."

The USA squad is going to be quite interesting....

Comment

I am very surprised that USA basketball is even participating in this meaningless tournament. They didn't send a team the previous two Americas tournaments in 2013 and 2009 in which nothing was at stake. If I had to guess now that this tournament will not serve as an Olympic qualifier they probably won't send a team again.

The only purpose I can see this tournament serving the USA going forward is that considering similar type of players will participate in the upcoming qualification for the Fiba World Cup in 2019 it might be a chance for a group of players to gain some experience and cohesion as unit. Same thing for next tournament in 2021 and corresponding qualifying for 2023 World Cup.
                            But then again with about 7 teams making it from the region they could pretty much send any combination out there and qualify.
                            Last edited by usagre; 08-08-2017, 09:56 PM.
                            Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                              I am very surprised that USA basketball is even participating in this meaningless tournament. They didn't send a team the previous two Americas tournaments in 2013 and 2009 in which nothing was at stake. If I had to guess now that this tournament will not serve as an Olympic qualifier they probably won't send a team again.

The only purpose I can see this tournament serving the USA going forward is that considering similar type of players will participate in the upcoming qualification for the Fiba World Cup in 2019 it might be a chance for a group of players to gain some experience and cohesion as unit. Same thing for next tournament in 2021 and corresponding qualifying for 2023 World Cup.
                              But then again with about 7 teams making it from the region they could pretty much send any combination out there and qualify.
                              USA Basketball has pretty much publicly stated this is their intent for participating.
                              which is pretty much the same for everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information