Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Eurobasket teams for each country.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Eurobasket teams for each country.

Not counting defunct Soviet Union and Yugoslavia, here are my best teams for each country that has won a Eurobasket medal in the last 30 years.

Spain 2011

I also considered '09 and '15 champs but I think '11 had its best players probably at their best. Arguably the first or second best non USA team of all time in my opinion.

Serbia 1995

'97 and '01 champs got consideration but like '11 Spain in the argument for best European team of all time.
    Dominated in '95-'96 against excellent competition with only loss coming to USA in '96 Olympics in a good game for 30 minutes.

France 2013

I took them since they won it all but one can argue 2011 team that ran into Spanish juggernaut or 2015 team that also got eliminated by Spain were stronger.

Croatia 1995

Loaded team that won bronze in the best Eurobasket field of all time. No other real competition.

Greece 1989

I took this edition over the championship teams of '87 and '05 in a very tough call. Can't go wrong with any of the three but '89 was better than '87 because Galis was still Galis and Fasoulas and Christodoulou were a little older and closer to their prime. Also semifinal defeat of defending Olympic champion Soviet Union at just about full strength is extremely impressive more so than '87 team home court accomplishments. Also hard to penalize them for getting beat by Yugoslavia one of the handful of greatest European teams of all time on their home court. That Yugoslavia team was on a mission to destroy everyone in that tournament and capture a gold medal for the first time in a major event in almost a decade.

Turkey. 2001

Runner up with no other competition.

Germany 2005

I'll take this runner up over the '93 champion because of prime Dirk and the fact that the '93 field was weak.

Italy 1999

1997 also considered but I'll go with the Champ.

Russia. 2007

2011 also considered but I'll go with the Champ.

Lithuania 1995

My toughest call since the '03 champion was deeper but I'll take the top heavy runner up who could have easily won its tournament.
    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

I pretty much agree with all of your picks apart from the Lithuania one - the '03 team simply played a flawless offensive basketball and was filled with deadly shooters all still being in their prime at that time (Jasikevicius, Siskauskas, Macijauskas, Stomberbas). One could easily argue that '04 team which beat US squad and should have realistically won Olympic gold too if not for the disastrous semi against Italy was even better, since it had all those same players but with just more experience under their belt.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
      I pretty much agree with all of your picks apart from the Lithuania one - the '03 team simply played a flawless offensive basketball and was filled with deadly shooters all still being in their prime at that time (Jasikevicius, Siskauskas, Macijauskas, Stomberbas). One could easily argue that '04 team which beat US squad and should have realistically won Olympic gold too if not for the disastrous semi against Italy was even better, since it had all those same players but with just more experience under their belt.
      You're probably right but I just couldn't not pick a team with the two greatest Lithuanians of all time.

Comment

For Serbia teams from 2001 and 2001 are on pair with the great mid 90's teams . That team in 2001 was so dominant I don't think they played close game at the tournament.
        UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by madmax View Post
          I'd choose 2003 Lithuanian team is well. From 2003 onwards up until 2007 there was endless of upcoming talent and in my opinion this generation played in a stronger international basketball era to.
          Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
          FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
          FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

Croatia is such a shame that lost Drazen in 1993... Would have been one of the best teams ever. Can't disagree with your Greece choice, either.
            I also agree with the others on the 2003 Lithuania.

Comment

Lithuania 1999 was a bit of a mix of 1995 and 2003. I mean Sabas + one of the best European players of that time Karnisovas + one of the best bigs in Europe Einikis + rising Jasikevicius + Zalgiris players who just won EL including Stombergas, E.Zukauskas, M.Zukauskas, who all played important role in 2003 too. That team had it all to win Eurobasket, after a tough start, we got better and better, played amazing, on our road beat the upcoming champs Italy easily, but then 1/4 vs Spain happened.. what, how, why it's hard to explain even now. Sabas fouled-out in just 15mins or so, none could stop Herreros, majority of players looked shadow of themselves, probably psychological issues hit us, don't know, but it was surely the chances wasted by one of the most talented teams we ever had. Atleast we didn't collapse and made it to Sydney Olympics

Comment

Yugoslavia 1989 **RIP** Totally dominate whole tournament
                Drazen Petrovic
                Dino Radja
                Vlade Divac
                Toni Kukoc
                Zarko Paspalie
                Jure Zdovc
                Stoiko Vrancovic
                No reason to say more names
                41st place - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game!!

Comment

Originally posted by softice View Post
                  Yugoslavia 1989 **RIP** Totally dominate whole tournament
                  Drazen Petrovic
                  Dino Radja
                  Vlade Divac
                  Toni Kukoc
                  Zarko Paspalie
                  Jure Zdovc
                  Stoiko Vrancovic
                  No reason to say more names
                  Just two more, Danilovic and Cutura. For the most part they played nine guys in that tournament.

Comment

France 2003 team was probably the best in our history. Young underachievers, but the best (Sonko - Moiso - Abdul-Wahad - Parker - Foirest - Diaw - F. Pietrus - Digbeu - Foirest - Julian - Turiaf +rp's)

Comment

Originally posted by Alvertis4 View Post
                      Croatia is such a shame that lost Drazen in 1993... Would have been one of the best teams ever. Can't disagree with your Greece choice, either.
                      I also agree with the others on the 2003 Lithuania.
                      They are lucky Serbia was under UN sanction at that time , they would have played zero finals if we were around in 1992
                      UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

Comment

Luck had nothing to do with this

Comment

Originally posted by Srle View Post
                          They are lucky Serbia was under UN sanction at that time , they would have played zero finals if we were around in 1992
                          Weren't Croatian players the main force of Yugoslavian team back in 1989/1990/1991? Closest years to 1992 Olympics. I mean Drazen, Kukoc, Radja of course here. Besides them there were Komazec, Perasovic, who weren't playin' the last roles in Yugo team. Maybe I forgot someone else. Of course Serbia, as always, had big pool of talent, but really wouldn't go thus far as sayin' that Croatia wouldn't be in a single final during these days Actually, I'd probably favor little bit Croats with Drazen

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                            Weren't Croatian players the main force of Yugoslavian team back in 1989/1990/1991? Closest years to 1992 Olympics. I mean Drazen, Kukoc, Radja of course here. Besides them there were Komazec, Perasovic, who weren't playin' the last roles in Yugo team. Maybe I forgot someone else. Of course Serbia, as always, had big pool of talent, but really wouldn't go thus far as sayin' that Croatia wouldn't be in a single final during these days Actually, I'd probably favor little bit Croats with Drazen
                            I agree. It's close but I would favor Croatia '92 over a potential Serbia '92 team.
                            I like Petrovic, Kukoc, Radja (at the top of their games) , Vrankovic, Komazec, and Perasovic over Djordjevic, Danilovic, Vlade, Zarko, Savic and a very young Bodiroga. If it was a 7 game series I would take Croatia in 6 or 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Srle View Post
                              yeah right

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information