Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBA: what are the things you hopefully change in this league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
    This problem you're talking about is even more pronounced with regard to NT players, most of whom come from contenders like TNT and San Miguel. This is a double-edged sword. The 3-conference format is a money-spinner which makes the PBA much more financially viable IMO than its other Asian counterparts. On the other hand, because teams play less games, the quality of the league overall suffers because only the top 4 or 6 teams play a lot of competitive games per season. The bottom 4 teams play only 33 games per season (11 elims games x 3 conferences). The higher level teams will play 10-15 more playoff games, so ultimately only the 2 top teams which will reach the finals on a consistent basis will play 40+ games. Contrast this with the KBL, which has 10 teams that play a 54-game regular season.
    i beg to disagree. it actually runs counter because of the "sawa" factor from fans. 3 conference-season, 10 month long season kills the excitement factor of the pba. i always like the idea by eala of just having a 2-conference since it shortens the league from 10 to 8 months. just imagine june palang, tapos na ang liga. then you have to wait 3-4 months, then you will get excited by the month of october since pba during that time usually starts last week of that month. have you ever guys notice that the gate attendance during those seasons where 2-conference format was implemented was significantly higher than today? i notice it kahit coke at air21 lang naglalaban, the lower box was still jampack unlike today na kahit ynares di pa nila kaya punuin ang lower box.
    Attack
    defend
    Unite

Comment

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
      i beg to disagree. it actually runs counter because of the "sawa" factor from fans. 3 conference-season, 10 month long season kills the excitement factor of the pba. i always like the idea by eala of just having a 2-conference since it shortens the league from 10 to 8 months. just imagine june palang, tapos na ang liga. then you have to wait 3-4 months, then you will get excited by the month of october since pba during that time usually starts last week of that month. have you ever guys notice that the gate attendance during those seasons where 2-conference format was implemented was significantly higher than today? i notice it kahit coke at air21 lang naglalaban, the lower box was still jampack unlike today na kahit ynares di pa nila kaya punuin ang lower box.
      eh limang piso upperbox ticket versus 200 pesos? and it was just 9 years ago.. lol

The reason for this is the fans never have sawa factor lao pag natatalo (ie star).. even in recreational leagues its better to have bawi the next conference rather than next year.. it kills competition from football or uaap/ncaa..

And the bora kangkong marketing of pba in social media age is a work of genius, it eagers fans to watch pba and make "pusta" which is the main advantage of pba being all year..
      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

That's true; but with increased ticket prices, more games will also mean more revenues even if gate attendance decreases. Maybe the PBA is sticking to that model, otherwise they would not have scrapped the 2-conference format. To be honest I agree with you, but the fact is the PBA has stuck to the 3-conference format because it means more play-off games. 3 finals series will generate more money than 2 finals series, especially if a popular team is involved.
        “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
        -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
          eh limang piso upperbox ticket versus 200 pesos? and it was just 9 years ago.. lol
          that's another problem, today tickets are so pricey. people have no choice but to find an alternative watch the games (livestream or just stay at home and watch it in tv mahal kasi). they pba should make a study ala thesis -a review of their operations for the past 10-15 years.
          Attack
          defend
          Unite

Comment

That's true; but with increased ticket prices, more games will also mean more revenues even if gate attendance decreases. Maybe the PBA is sticking to that model, otherwise they would not have scrapped the 2-conference format. To be honest I agree with you, but the fact is the PBA has stuck to the 3-conference format because it means more play-off games. 3 finals series will generate more money than 2 finals series, especially if a popular team is involved.
            i remember, slr-purefoods match, alaska-tnt in 2 conference-format and they were all blockbuster. beating the finals match between smb-tnt. they no longer have special coverage or week-long promotion for the finals. ngayon kasi, basta may finals lang. i also remember during 2005-06 fiesta conference wherein they had a best-of-5 q-finals, many people still both the series. maybe not jampack but the gate attendance was comparable to the semis matches today under narvasa. i was an air21 fan back then watching their series against tnt. i remember many people are watching those games, take note the game was not ginebra, smb or pfoods. medyo mahaba yung series pero worth the wait naman.
            Attack
            defend
            Unite

Comment

I think the solution is to shorten the season to only 8 months & revert back to the 2-conference format, but we increase the frequency of the games.

If we compare the frequency of the games of each PBA team to the frequency of games of teams from other Asian pro leagues, say KBL or CBA, I think we can notice that frequency of games of PBA teams is lower.

Come to think of it, "weak" teams, those that always get eliminated, get to play for around 33 games for the whole 10-month PBA season. 33 games in around 300 days, that is around 1 game for every 10 days.

The NBA regular season w/c runs for about 6 1/2 months have a total of 82 games per team. So that's 82 games in almost 200 days, so that's one game in every 2 and a half days.

I'm not saying we do what the NBA is doing. I'm just pointing out the disparity. BIG disparity at that.
              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

that's another problem, today tickets are so pricey. people have no choice but to find an alternative watch the games (livestream or just stay at home and watch it in tv mahal kasi). they pba should make a study ala thesis -a review of their operations for the past 10-15 years.
                yun nga the pba team owners are earning thur international betting sites..
                To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
                  yun nga the pba team owners are earning thur international betting sites..
                  you know what, i'm just waiting for a new company/team or a visionary individual like eala that will break the status quo in the pba.
                  Attack
                  defend
                  Unite

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                    I think the solution is to shorten the season to only 8 months & revert back to the 2-conference format, but we increase the frequency of the games.

If we compare the frequency of the games of each PBA team to the frequency of games of teams from other Asian pro leagues, say KBL or CBA, I think we can notice that frequency of games of PBA teams is lower.

Come to think of it, "weak" teams, those that always get eliminated, get to play for around 33 games for the whole 10-month PBA season. 33 games in around 300 days, that is around 1 game for every 10 days.

The NBA regular season w/c runs for about 6 1/2 months have a total of 82 games per team. So that's 82 games in almost 200 days, so that's one game in every 2 and a half days.

I'm not saying we do what the NBA is doing. I'm just pointing out the disparity. BIG disparity at that.
                    that's what i don't really understand as pba has 4-playing days a week but still the game frequency is very low.
                    Attack
                    defend
                    Unite

Comment

it's the format. we only have one round of eliminations/regular season play. Other Asian leagues have double or triple round-robin so they play a lot of regular season games.
                      “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
                      -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

it's the format. we only have one round of eliminations/regular season play. Other Asian leagues have double or triple round-robin so they play a lot of regular season games.
                        this means the 2 conference-format was a lot better. both conferences had double-round robins with 4 playing days a week.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

that's what i don't really understand as pba has 4-playing days a week but still the game frequency is very low.
                          Becoz of the stupid 3-conference format. There's a big disparity between the frequency of games of "strong" teams & the weak teams becoz of the 3-conference format. Those strong teams will always make it to the semis or even the finals & that would mean playing more games. Playing more games mean increased frequency of games. Weak teams on the other hand always get eliminated thus would play the minimum No. of games in a season

Just compare the No. of games that San Miguel Beer has played so far this season to that of Mahindra/Kia. You will see the BIG disparity.

Now, try to convert the PBA into a 2-conference format, you will see the disparity in terms of the No. of games between the strong & weak teams won't be that glaring.
                          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

the 5 games per week under salud was good. tuesday/wednesday, friday-sunday.. at least your team will play twice a week not the one bgsm is having once a week on a sunday game..
                            Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

I wonder how long can they last. Lots of empty seats even on big matchups. The network is owned by mvp. 1/3 of the team is owned by MVP. Majority of the ads is by MVP. A lot of players has salaries in the millions.

Comment

Originally posted by trig View Post
                                I wonder how long can they last. Lots of empty seats even on big matchups. The network is owned by mvp. 1/3 of the team is owned by MVP. Majority of the ads is by MVP. A lot of players has salaries in the millions.
                                no creativity from narvasa. not as creative as eala. if we think barrios is one of the worst commissioners then narvasa happened..

their should be "pa miss effect" 8 month season will be fine.. and the old saying, the success of gilas is the success of pba. when gilas fails, pba will get affected. the attendance right now is eye sore even a ginebra game won't fill up the seats till the bleachers of araneta and even ynares at antipolo. the attendance will get more eye sore if gilas fails in asia cup..
                                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information