Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBA: what are the things you hopefully change in this league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big fan of MBA but don't know how fans will react if you make the pba, regional. Fandom that has been transferred from one generation to the next then suddenly you assign the team to a certain region or city. GenSan GinKings? Iloilo Meralco Bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by jords33 View Post
      Regionalizing the league is actually Already feasible if you only have 10 teams in the league,If the PBA regionalizes it should start with only 10-12 teams then after our economy and transport system gets better, they should introduce expansion teams para umabot na sa 20. I can name at least 10 cities kung saan magthri-thrive ang isang Pba team if that city was their homecourt, sa VISMIN nga lang you have the metropolitan areas of Cebu, Bacolod, Iloilo, Davao, CDO, GENSAN and Zamboanga all of these aformentioned metro areas have interconnecting flights with one another, and Madali lang magconstruct ng basketball arena sa mga areang iyan kun talagang sadyain ng mga ciudad na ito.
      Let's be real, regionalizing the pba is a great idea and i'm also a fan of it but i don't see it happening in the next 5-10yrs...you say it is easy to construct arena in that areas? But who would spend millions of pesos to build it? PBA? Local goverments? Pba teams? Even 2,500 capacity small arenas cost millions. Let's say there are already existing arenas. Ang tanong naman are the players willing to travel regularly day after day from one place to another? Mga player pa naman natin mga sakitin. *cough *cough Hehe. MBA nga nabuwag dito dito lang sa luzon yun lalayo pa tayo, baka maghirap mga pba teams kia pa naman walang pampasweldo hehe.

Regionalizing the PBA would be expensive. A more cheaper way maybe they can do like what the other poster here said "11. Regionalization, each team represents a region/province/city". just representation but not neccesarilly relocating the teams to other places. We can follow the korean basketball league and Japanese league. They are something like that.
      Last edited by Thegloryball; 07-30-2017, 03:56 PM.
      Ako ang may pinakamalakas na confidence!

Comment

Originally posted by trig View Post
        big fan of MBA but don't know how fans will react if you make the pba, regional. Fandom that has been transferred from one generation to the next then suddenly you assign the team to a certain region or city. GenSan GinKings? Iloilo Meralco Bolts?
        you can't force a die Hard Star fan from GenSan to cheer for his home team of GenSan Ginkings against let's say Star Hot Shots Laguna same with a die hard Ginebra fan from Laguna.. Eh suklam na suklam nga sa isa't-isa yung mga fandom na yan e Lol

Comment

Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
          you can't force a die Hard Star fan from GenSan to cheer for his home team of GenSan Ginkings against let's say Star Hot Shots Laguna same with a die hard Ginebra fan from Laguna.. Eh suklam na suklam nga sa isa't-isa yung mga fandom na yan e Lol
          yeah, the only way I see this happening is if you build a fanbase thru dleague. Say you have Mindanao Aguilas, funded by pacman and other businessmen from mindanao. Have players that have a fanbase like Kiefer, Jeron, Parks etc then move to PBA and elevate 5 players. Then fill the bench with players from VisMin.

Comment

Originally posted by trig View Post
            yeah, the only way I see this happening is if you build a fanbase thru dleague. Say you have Mindanao Aguilas, funded by pacman and other businessmen from mindanao. Have players that have a fanbase like Kiefer, Jeron, Parks etc then move to PBA and elevate 5 players. Then fill the bench with players from VisMin.
            batangas team and cagayan rising suns are the perfect models for regionalization. i remember when cagayan was still playing in the d-league, they were able to bring home games at tuguegarao with many watching to cagayan.
            Attack
            defend
            Unite

Comment

Originally posted by ja.he View Post
              batangas team and cagayan rising suns are the perfect models for regionalization. i remember when cagayan was still playing in the d-league, they were able to bring home games at tuguegarao with many watching to cagayan.
              Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Batangas team just a farm team of Globalport (which has significant operations in the Batangas port)? The best examples of regional teams were those that played in the old Liga Pilipinas. The Rising Suns also had a good run but they never recovered from the Adeogun incident.
              “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
              -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

1) tracking cameras in venues
                like the ones used in the NBA (Synergy Sports provides them I think.) I believe this is an investment the PBA owners should make. It would make available loads of data about our players and how they can improve. And we might be able to confirm the rumors about sold games.

2) allow naturalized Filipinos and foreign graduates of UAAP/NCAA schools to join as locals
                More than lifting height limits, a better solution would be to open the PBA to:
                -aliens permanently residing in the Philippines (like Kirk Long and Alex Compton). After all resident aliens are taxed as if they were Filipino citizens, so why can't they play as citizens?
                -foreigners who have played at least 4 years in a UAAP or NCAA varsity team (like Ola Adeogun and Sam Ekwe) and who have graduated from such schools; and to
                -naturalized Filipinos (like Douthit and Blatche).
                -this "Filipino blood" requirement sounds racist to me.

We can even require foreign player-graduates of schools to submit a letter of intent to become a permanent resident/citizen of the Philippines.
                We can even pay them the same salary as locals (since it is assumed that they will be living here as well).

These people are Filipinos too. They may have no Pinoy blood but culturally they are just like us. They even play the same brand of basketball as we do, so why are we barring them from pursuing a decent living in a sport they love in the country which they chose to settle in? These players should be allowed to join the PBA draft and play as local players.

3) allow foreign coaches to coach
                I know this is a pipe dream and few PBA teams have the means to do so, but we have to remember that Ron Jacobs and Tim Cone are among the best coaching minds in the Philippines. Tim Cone now has his own coaching tree. This is transfer of technology at its most basic level.

4) higher salary cap and imposition of heavy penalties for violating it
                yes, this is indeed wishful thinking hehehe. It's more an issue of implementation and the will to enforce the rules.

5) restricted list
                I think this has been done before. The Iranian league has it too.

6) 2 conferences plus a playoff between the champs to determine overall season winner
                So there will be more time preparing for the international cycle. And more rest for our players.

7) mandatorily send the PBA champion as PH representative to the FIBA Asia Champions Cup
                to maximize exposure to international play.

8) adopt FIBA rules; send PBA referees to intl clinics
                AFAIK, the NBA and the PBA are the only pro leagues which do not use FIBA rules. The NBA is the biggest name in basketball so they can get away with it. But the PBA? We're not even sure if a PBA team can prevail in a tournament of Asia's best pro ball clubs. So what makes us special? If we want to be successful internationally, we have to play by the international rules. Will it make the PBA less entertaining? We're not sure. The only way to find out is to actually adopt the FIBA rules and see for ourselves.
                -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

Stronger pba d league, and summer league system(well cba runs 6 months but nbl is running in off season..) where one conference where joseph sedurifa's, cedric de joya are carrying the load of meralco and global port in absence of the national team players
                  To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                  1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Reduce the extremely looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooong PBA season to 8 months.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the PBA has the longest running season among the professional basketball leagues in the entire universe (well, don't know if aliens play basketball) China's CBA runs for only about 5 months. Pro leagues of other Asian countries run for only 6 to 7 months per season. Eh yung NBA nga w/c is obviously the biggest basketball league in the world run for only 8 months.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                      Reduce the extremely looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooong PBA season to 8 months.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the PBA has the longest running season among the professional basketball leagues in the entire universe (well, don't know if aliens play basketball) China's CBA runs for only about 5 months. Pro leagues of other Asian countries run for only 6 to 7 months per season. Eh yung NBA nga w/c is obviously the biggest basketball league in the world run for only 8 months.
                      The PBA season is lengthened by the breaks between the conferences. Compared to the CBA, KBL, and B-league, the PBA plays far fewer games.
                      -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
                        The PBA season is lengthened by the breaks between the conferences. Compared to the CBA, KBL, and B-league, the PBA plays far fewer games.
                        teams like mahindra and balckwater have long bakasyons..

And you heard it from richard del rosario's jason webbs they dont want long vacations..and with the home and away format lo lang nabigyan ang reason ang pba to do 3 conference format and just smack the breaks with the qualifying windows..

Comment

Correct. Fewer games in such a long season means low frequency of games.

The problem with this set up is that its going to be grueling & tiring to the players, specially players from strong teams like SMB, Ginebra, Star, TnT since they always make it to the finals in every conference. If the players don't have a game, what are they doing? They are practicing, right? Imagine players have to be physically condition for about 11 months per season. I say 11 months becoz as the PBA season runs for 10 months, about one month before the opening of a new season, players have to go back to the basketball court for practice. Halos wala nang bakasyon.

There are 2 types of players in the PBA, yung pagod becoz their teams always play in the finals so they play more games, and yung di masyadong pagod becoz their teams always get eliminated early.

And this 3-conference per season format also sucks. Why not revert back to the 2-conference format? All-Filipino conference & an import-laden conference.

This 3-conference format diminishes the significance of championship titles eh. May I ask, how many of us here remember if who won the 3rd Conference (Governor's Cup) title in the 2009-2010 PBA season?
                          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                            Correct. Fewer games in such a long season means low frequency of games.

The problem with this set up is that its going to be grueling & tiring to the players, specially players from strong teams like SMB, Ginebra, Star, TnT since they always make it to the finals in every conference. If the players don't have a game, what are they doing? They are practicing, right? Imagine players have to be physically condition for about 11 months per season. I say 11 months becoz as the PBA season runs for 10 months, about one month before the opening of a new season, players have to go back to the basketball court for practice. Halos wala nang bakasyon.

There are 2 types of players in the PBA, yung pagod becoz their teams always play in the finals so they play more games, and yung di masyadong pagod becoz their teams always get eliminated early.
                            This problem you're talking about is even more pronounced with regard to NT players, most of whom come from contenders like TNT and San Miguel.

And this 3-conference per season format also sucks. Why not revert back to the 2-conference format? All-Filipino conference & an import-laden conference.

This 3-conference format diminishes the significance of championship titles eh. May I ask, how many of us here remember if who won the 3rd Conference (Governor's Cup) title in the 2009-2010 PBA season?
                            This is a double-edged sword. The 3-conference format is a money-spinner which makes the PBA much more financially viable IMO than its other Asian counterparts. On the other hand, because teams play less games, the quality of the league overall suffers because only the top 4 or 6 teams play a lot of competitive games per season. The bottom 4 teams play only 33 games per season (11 elims games x 3 conferences). The higher level teams will play 10-15 more playoff games, so ultimately only the 2 top teams which will reach the finals on a consistent basis will play 40+ games. Contrast this with the KBL, which has 10 teams that play a 54-game regular season.
                            -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

This problem you're talking about is even more pronounced with regard to NT players, most of whom come from contenders like TNT and San Miguel.

This is a double-edged sword. The 3-conference format is a money-spinner which makes the PBA much more financially viable IMO than its other Asian counterparts. On the other hand, because teams play less games, the quality of the league overall suffers because only the top 4 or 6 teams play a lot of competitive games per season. The bottom 4 teams play only 33 games per season (11 elims games x 3 conferences). The higher level teams will play 10-15 more playoff games, so ultimately only the 2 top teams which will reach the finals on a consistent basis will play 40+ games. Contrast this with the KBL, which has 10 teams that play a 54-game regular season.
                              Shortened seasons benefits our so called stars.. theyw ill still be paid millions and able to play nt duties to be in shape..

in bbl (CS case).. they play once a week for the lower tiered teams as the top teams have euroleague games to play for..

Comment

if your team is making at least the semi finals for 3 conferences, the team will end up playing at least close to 60 games..

let's say we'll max the games (full 7 games of semis and finals from afc then 5 games semis and 7 games finals in next two)

33 games elims
                                21 game finals
                                17 semi finals
                                3-4 qf games

that totals 75 games per season for a contending team in a 10 month season.

scrapping the 3rd conference is a good idea.. 11 games plus 12-13 playoff games won't affect pba at all. that's extra months of rest and they can start the next season fresh by 1st week of october. so that some pba teams can join sone tournaments like merlion cup and some mini tournament international and some pba player will play in 3x3 world tour and fiba games.. i remember way back from eala days that they have pre season tournament. they can have that..
                                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information