Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithuanian Basketball League (LKL) 2017-18

Top teams from last season are doin' quite interesting job this summer:

Lietkabelis today announced the signing of Juskevicius, he should take the place of Magden. IMO it's good choice for starting SG. Previously they signed Latvian wing Peiners instead of Lukauskis. Latvian is really versatile player, can play in few positions, I guess he might do well here. And of course Cepukaitis looks sure improvement instead of Galdikas. Keeping Brothers, Leonavicius, Skucas, Tarolis were also good moves. Overall, Lietkabelis does a decent job so far. Besides another SF, the only questionmarks left are two PGs, cause nor Williams, nor Janavicius will return. Also will be interesting to see how new coach Stalbergs will do, I don't know much about him

Neptunas signed Seibutis, Delininkaitis and Zelionis, decent additions. I expect much better season from Seibutis after he'll take a rest this summer, will have improved offensive role. IMO he might be among the best players in league next season. Delininkaitis and Zelionis should be great rotation players. Interesting how will pan out situation with Mazeika and those rumours about possible Gailius signing. Also PG and C should be signed. If they'll hit it, Neptunas surely won't be worse than last season

Since Rytas again makes some questionable moves and is in quite messy situation, both, Lietkabelis and Neptunas, should have reasonable hopes to fight for final again.

Other clubs, except of course Zalgiris, which is against obvious favorite to win the league, are quite sleepy so far. Only more notable move was Juventus bringing back Buterlevicius to LKL, but they lost Sirutavicius and Sulskis is about to leave. Diggs most likely is out too, so they'll have plenty of job to do to stay at the same level

Lietkabelis signed another well-known name - Simas Jasaitis. It's hard to tell how much Simas still has in him, cause I didn't really see him last year or two, but if there's smth left, his defense and long range shooting can help Lietkabelis a lot. Basically decent option for back-up SF. Now only these two PGs spots left to fill

Meanwhile, another medal contender Neptunas added Laimonas Kisielius. IMO really nice addition. He didn't have the best season in Rytas obviously, but he is better than that and he could contribute way more than, let's say, Siksnius did last season. On other hand, as expected, Mazeika is about to leave the club. Neptunas simply wasn't too interested to keep him under current conditions, while offered ones were half lower, so player didn't accept it too. Overall, Neptunas roster might be deeper than last season, of course if they'll be able to find decent choices for PG and C. Lorenzo Williams, Simas Galdikas are floating in rumours, but these aren't really the names which sounds too intriguing

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
      On other hand, as expected, Mazeika is about to leave the club. Neptunas simply wasn't too interested to keep him under current conditions, while offered ones were half lower, so player didn't accept it too.
      That seems to be current consensus. No idea what it's based on

End of an era really. I'm sure he will join Zukauskas and Macijauskas soon
      He literally gave Neptunas invitation to EL
      Lietuvos krepšinio lygos (LKL) pusfinalio pirmosios rungtynės Prienuose. Susitinka vietos „Tonybet" ir Klaipėdos „Neptūnas".

Last edited by LuDux; 07-28-2017, 06:09 PM.
      The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Originally posted by LuDux View Post
        That seems to be current consensus. No idea what it's based on
        Maybe on last season. I mean he really didn't have the best one, to say the least, especialy play-offs were really dissapointing, also he is aging. But nonetheless, guy is a fighter, have been symbol of Neptunas lately, so I'd say he deserves some more recognition than that

Comment

Maybe on last season. I mean he really didn't have the best one, to say the least, especialy play-offs were really dissapointing, also he is aging. But nonetheless, guy is a fighter, have been symbol of Neptunas lately, so I'd say he deserves some more recognition than that
          I meant supposed details of negotiations

Comment

Originally posted by LuDux View Post
            I meant supposed details of negotiations
            I don't know original source or where exactly it comes from, but one friend of mine from Klaipeda, wrote it yesterday as an info from one guy close to Mazeika. But I've read such rumours in fb/comments earlier too, just didn't pay too much attention, looked like ordinary attention seekers or trolling

Comment

That sounds like a very plausible scenario .
              If team offered Mazeika half or so his previous salary , so I feel it is about right in terms of his , plus combined with team , performances.
              Maybe that money can be spent on actual upgrade than just being spent on him in lieu for his old heroics .
              On the other hand if he feels that he is worth more and can get that money elsewhere , then fair dues .
              Neither side should feel bad .
              What makes me sad though is the fact that Utena seems to have lost momentum and they won't be competing for the big four spot .
              I think that the gap between them (5th) and Klaipeda (4th) was just too big last year , unexpectedly , perhaps , but so far they don't look like even trying to close that gap .
              And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

I'm concerned about Kedainiai Nevėžis, my personal favourite Lithuanian team.

Nevezis - Vaitkus.jpg

While Nevėžis was 8-4 in the Baltic Basketball League last year, the team was second last in the LKL with a record of 7-29. Moreover the club doesn't seem to have the budget to sign players who might improve the team's results this coming year.

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
                  I'm concerned about Kedainiai Nevėžis, my personal favourite Lithuanian team.

While Nevėžis was 8-4 in the Baltic Basketball League last year, the team was second last in the LKL with a record of 7-29. Moreover the club doesn't seem to have the budget to sign players who might improve the team's results this coming year.

Nevezis will participate in FIBA Europe Cup qualifiers, that was confirmed just recently, this is debut for them on European scene. That was the reason why they signed coach Cvirka and tries to build a bit more serious roster. Let's wait and see if they'll succeed in that, but atleast it looks for the better

Comment

It's a bit surprising to see Siauliai moving so fast in market. They almost completed their roster or even did so (but i hope not). I guess it's a sign that club is rising from that mess bit by bit, of course Sireika, Zukauskas must be the main reasons here. Birutis will be one of the most interesting players to follow, I hope he will shine in LKL, also Urbutis might be a steal. After serious injury it's always a risk to sign a player, but if he'll be able to stay healthy, he is decent big for LKL standarts. Then Vaitkus should be valuable addition. Also both new foreigners looks intriguing. Hopefully Sabeckis will continue his performances from the end of last season, when he simply exploded. Anyway, I'd like to see one or couple signings more. Some PG would be good and f.e. some veteren to add experience for his team from the bench, let's say the same Salenga

Comment

It's a bit surprising to see Siauliai moving so fast in market. They almost completed their roster or even did so (but i hope not). I guess it's a sign that club is rising from that mess bit by bit, of course Sireika, Zukauskas must be the main reasons here. Birutis will be one of the most interesting players to follow, I hope he will shine in LKL, also Urbutis might be a steal. After serious injury it's always a risk to sign a player, but if he'll be able to stay healthy, he is decent big for LKL standarts. Then Vaitkus should be valuable addition. Also both new foreigners looks intriguing. Hopefully Sabeckis will continue his performances from the end of last season, when he simply exploded. Anyway, I'd like to see one or couple signings more. Some PG would be good and f.e. some veteren to add experience for his team from the bench, let's say the same Salenga
                      They did exactly what they said they would . Young players , they are cheap and plentiful. Still , they would be lucky not to finish last .
                      And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
                        They did exactly what they said they would . Young players , they are cheap and plentiful. Still , they would be lucky not to finish last .
                        Of course they are cheap... I mean what did you expect from a club which almost went bankrupt... But cheap has few meanings in basketball. Depends how you use these money. If last season team really looked cheap, this year I don't see the same picture. Maybe they'll finish last, I don't know, lot of teams are still in building phase, so it's impossible to tell, but baring injuries/finansies crisis, I don't think they'll be that awful like they were in 2016/17, no way. And that's already good news.

Goin' back to other teams

Pieno Zvaigzdes added Alexey Zhukanenko today. IMO really nice add for Pasvalys side

Comment

nor Williams, nor Janavicius will return
                          Well, if Janavicius has a new club and won't return, Lonzo Williams didn't manage to find one, which would fulfill his increased recquirements and he re-signd with Lietkabelis after finding a compromise. Good news for Panevezys side. Now let's see who'll be another PG. I guess they needs some shoot-first PG here

Comment

Juan Palacios to Neptunas. Played only 13 games after injury, 4.6pt on 31% shooting, but claims to be in best shape ever
                            Jerai with better range

Comment

Interesting choice. In Rytas, later in Karsiyaka he was really good, but after horrible last season (serious injury, fatal hot air balloon accident), his price dropped and Neptunas took a risk. Knowing that Palacios is hardworking player, I think he did it all to get back on shape and if will stay injury-free, can be a steal for Neptunas, atleast he'll surely have lot of motivation to do so. Let's see who'll be back-up C and another PG

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information