Can Leo Rautins lead Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Leo Rautins lead Canada?

Can Leo Rautins lead Canada to a medal in the Americas Championship? Is he the right coach for this very young team?

Or is the team just too young and not ready to challenge for a podium position in the absence of Steve Nash? But could they still qualify for a slot in the pre-Olympic qualifying tournament? My understanding is that the top two teams in the Americas Championship qualify for the Olympics while the next three teams gain berths in a pre-Olympic qualifying tournament in 2008.

I have more faith in the team because Samuel Dalembert is
    playing but I don't think Leo Rautins is the right man to coach,
    I would like canada to get a european coach for a while at
    least. I think its really stupid that Leo Rautins's son is on
    the team, what has he done to deserve it?

Comment

Leo Rautins's son is on
      Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

It seems that Andy Rautins was quite good on the Canadian Under-21 team. Do we have anyone better, that is actually willing to play?

Comment

Rowan Barret, but i don't think Leo wants him cause hes
        going with a youth movement these days.

By the way Canada's final roster was annonced

NAME/POSITION/HEIGHT/LAST SCHOOL/CLUB HOMETOWN
        Jermaine Anderson Guard 6'2" Polpak (Poland) Toronto, ON
        Denham Brown Guard 6'5" Tulsa (NBDL) Toronto, ON
        Sam Dalembert Centre 6'11" Philadelphia (NBA) Montreal, QC
        Vlad Kuljanin Centre 6'10" UNC Wilmington (NCAA) Toronto, ON
        Carl English Guard 6'5" KK Zadar (Croatia) Patrick's Cove, NF
        Olu Famutimi Forward 6'6" Arkansas (NBDL) Toronto, ON
        Andy Rautins Guard 6'5" Syracuse University (NCAA) Syracuse, NY
        David Thomas Forward 6'8" Melbourne (Australia) Brampton, ON
        Jesse Young Forward 6'10" Joventut (Spain) Peterborough, ON
        Juan Mendez Forward 6'7" Ironi Nahariya (Israel) Montreal, QC
        Levon Kendall Forward 6'10" University of Pittsburgh (NCAA) Vancouver, BC
        Ryan Bell Guard 6'5" Carleton University (CIS) Ottawa, ON

I'm suprized to see that Ryan Bell made the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ajaxballer
          I have more faith in the team because Samuel Dalembert is
          playing but I don't think Leo Rautins is the right man to coach,
          I would like canada to get a european coach for a while at
          least. I think its really stupid that Leo Rautins's son is on
          I see Andy Rautins in the Marchand Cup and is pretty good!!
          Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
          16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
          Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
          8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

off topic but Leo Rautins plyed terrible in 92 at Portland except for the last 2 games. anywho, sorry for replying on an old thread im just really bored
            My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
            1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
            1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
            1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
            1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
            1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
            1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
            1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Well now since Canada didn't make it to the Olympics, u can say that Leo Rautins did lead Canada (to the pothole that is ).
              I really thought that this current Canadian team had alot of potential but unfortunately Rautins screwed things up because of his excellent relationship with his NBA players.
              Seriously now, I really wish all the best for the Canadian NT and I do hope that u guys prepare well for the next World Championships in Turkey in 2010 (Not that our team (Lebanon) is in any better condition. We just got clobbered in the pre-Olympics and we r facing a major crisis where almost all of our team will be modified within the next few weeks.)

Comment

Let's be objective of the subject ... Instead of blaming the coach, let's us see that state of basketball in Canada. Unlike Hockey or Lacrosse, the sport of basketball hardly get any recognition in this country. Have you heard of any major sponsorship of any basketball org in Canada (of course aside from the Raptors) the way corporations sponsor Hockey? Have you seen the quality of Canada's NCAA basketball teams? Yeah I know ...

What basketball needs in Canada is the support of the government and the cooperation of sponsors that would better the training and exposure of athletes. The way hockey enjoys it.

Comment

I also read somewhere (off topic) that in 92 he considered a possibilty of playing with Lithuania because I guess he could have. Dont think he wouldve made the team though.
                  My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                  1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                  1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                  1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                  1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                  1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                  1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                  1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Originally posted by usausa
                    I also read somewhere (off topic) that in 92 he considered a possibilty of playing with Lithuania because I guess he could have. Dont think he wouldve made the team though.
                    That's also mentioned here although Rautins sound more Latvian than Lithuanian to me...
                    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur
                      That's also mentioned here although Rautins sound more Latvian than Lithuanian to me...
                      Don't know about Lithuanians (although Rautinas or Rautinis would sound more Lithuanian I guess) but there are people with surname Rautins in Latvia for sure.

Might be his ancestors were Lithuanians but they had Latvian surname. Or I don't know, maybe Lithuanians have this surname too like in Mantas Kalnietis' case where it is a common surname for both nations.
                      Last edited by rusher; 10-19-2008, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rusher
                        Don't know about Lithuanians (although Rautinas or Rautinis would sound more Lithuanian I guess) but there are people with surname Rautins in Latvia for sure.

Might be his ancestors were Lithuanians but they had Latvian surname. Or I don't know, maybe Lithuanians have this surname too like in Mantas Kalnietis' case where it is a common surname for both nations.
                        well, neither Rautinas nor Rautinis is common surname in Lithuania. It doesn't sound Lithuanian, I would agree it is more Latvian

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information