Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zalgiris Kaunas 2017-18

Augusto Lima stays in Kaunas.

Quote Originally Posted by AMJA View Post
    Augusto Lima stays in Kaunas.
    Any sources?

Royce O'Neale is close to Zalgiris Kaunas

Would be a great signing! I pretty liked him in Ludwigsburg (at the end of his rookie-season he exploded) and he pretty much improved his all-round-game in Gran Canara. Great slasher/athlete, high Basketball IQ, good passer, solid defender, solid Shooter out of the catch and shoot (a bit streaky), but he completely lacks a jumpshot. Though he has a nice runner in his repertoire. After his first season I told my brother, he is gonna be a great Euroleague player one day. You will have a lot of fun with him IMO.

Roster will look like this, if Lima and Pangos will extend (about 95%) and O'Neale signs:

PG Vasilje Micič(SG), Lukas Lekavičius
    SG Kevin Pangos(PG), Artūras Milaknis, Paulius Valinskas
    SF Edgaras Ulanovas, Royce O'Neale(SG)
    PF Paulius Jankūnas, Aaron White, Gytis Masiulis
    C Antanas Kavaliauskas, Augusto Lima, 60% possibility of new, decent center.

That's definetly an upgrade. I'm very happy with the team this year. More athletic (like 2x), youngster with more experience, better shooters at PG/SG/SF, only White is worse shooter than Motum. Still waiting on that new center Kavaliauskas was injured (spinal hernia) all season, thats why he played so bad, he will heal it at the summer period.

Quote Originally Posted by thiago94 View Post
    Would be a great signing! I pretty liked him in Ludwigsburg (at the end of his rookie-season he exploded) and he pretty much improved his all-round-game in Gran Canara. Great slasher/athlete, high Basketball IQ, good passer, solid defender, solid Shooter out of the catch and shoot (a bit streaky), but he completely lacks a jumpshot. Though he has a nice runner in his repertoire. After his first season I told my brother, he is gonna be a great Euroleague player one day. You will have a lot of fun with him IMO.
    Thanks for the report! From the videos he does seem like his jumpshot needs a lot of polishing as he has this wrist-bending shot and does not shoot in a singular flow (I am not really sure how to express it, but I hope everyone understands what I mean ) ).

He seems to be good in transition though and slashing through defense, also an energetic player, as Jasikevičius wanted.

I feel like Žalgiris still lacks a consistent shooter, which cannot be left open, as both supposed-snipers Pangos and Milaknis (maybe Lekavičius) seemed to have had too many off-days where they were missing open-shots. Our most reliable three point shooter was Motum and White is also far from being an upgrade as a sniper.

Still, as mentioned before, I am a complete believer in coach Jasikevičius and GM Motiejūnas and they feel which players will benefit the most for the positive results.

Also, does it mean the debates about Anderson should be stopped or shall I stop hoping that Grigonis will rejoin his hometown team?

Quote Originally Posted by bakas View Post
    Thanks for the report! From the videos he does seem like his jumpshot needs a lot of polishing as he has this wrist-bending shot and does not shoot in a singular flow (I am not really sure how to express it, but I hope everyone understands what I mean ) ).

He seems to be good in transition though and slashing through defense, also an energetic player, as Jasikevičius wanted.

I feel like Žalgiris still lacks a consistent shooter, which cannot be left open, as both supposed-snipers Pangos and Milaknis (maybe Lekavičius) seemed to have had too many off-days where they were missing open-shots. Our most reliable three point shooter was Motum and White is also far from being an upgrade as a sniper.

Still, as mentioned before, I am a complete believer in coach Jasikevičius and GM Motiejūnas and they feel which players will benefit the most for the positive results.

Also, does it mean the debates about Anderson should be stopped or shall I stop hoping that Grigonis will rejoin his hometown team?
    I heard, that Grigonis don't want to go from Spain for now. He want to develope into better player. He is not a player we need for now. Grigonis over Milaknis would be nice, but we have a long contract with him so that's not hapening. Anderson, apparently has a contract for one more year with Dacka.

Quote Originally Posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
    Roster will look like this, if Lima and Pangos will extend (about 95%) and O'Neale signs:

PG Vasilje Micič(SG), Lukas Lekavičius
    SG Kevin Pangos(PG), Artūras Milaknis, Paulius Valinskas
    PF Paulius Jankūnas, Aaron White, Gytis Masiulis
    C Antanas Kavaliauskas, Augusto Lima, 60% possibility of new, decent center.

That's definetly an upgrade. I'm very happy with the team this year. More athletic (like 2x), youngster with more experience, better shooters at PG/SG/SF, only White is worse shooter than Motum. Still waiting on that new center Kavaliauskas was injured (spinal hernia) all season, thats why he played so bad, he will heal it at the summer period.
    The team does seem like more athletic, which is great, but I would disagree about better three point-shooting. Basically, Seibutis will be changed with O'Neale who is 35% shooter (making less than one shot out of two per game on average), which is a minor upgrade for Seibutis in case of 3pt, though it is an upgrade in other areas.

Micič and Westermann are practically identical shooters and White is a worse shooter than Motum. Milaknis is getting older and opponents have become really good at not letting him take his shots.

My hopes go to Pangos, as I believe he will have a better second season and he does seem to have an ability to catch fire. I also, hope that Lekavičius will improve this summer even more.

In my opinion this team could be a positive surprise next year.

I beleive that Zalgiris if the roster is completed making the right movements, will be able to fight for playoffs considering that the coach will be again the same good one.

The team does seem like more athletic, which is great, but I would disagree about better three point-shooting. Basically, Seibutis will be changed with O'Neale who is 35% shooter (making less than one shot out of two per game on average), which is a minor upgrade for Seibutis in case of 3pt, though it is an upgrade in other areas.

Micič and Westermann are practically identical shooters and White is a worse shooter than Motum. Milaknis is getting older and opponents have become really good at not letting him take his shots.

My hopes go to Pangos, as I believe he will have a better second season and he does seem to have an ability to catch fire. I also, hope that Lekavičius will improve this summer even more.
    Well, I believe, that Micič is definetely better shooter, he developed it in Turkey, made 2 per game, attempted 5,5 per game. I believe that Milaknis will have a better season, because he will be in his spot- SG, playing less, less running, more shooting. White will be a downgrade at shooting, but he definetly can't be left wide open. O'Neale is definetly an upgrade at 3pt compared to Seibutis, who shot terrible. Lukas should have a better shooting season too, because he is almost a sniper, how Šaras said.

Vasa Micic is slow motion...

Quote Originally Posted by AirBall View Post
    Vasa Micic is slow motion...
    Diamantidis was slow motion too, but he is a legend. Micic is perfect player to replace Leo. Knowing that Zalgiris budget is limited, I am happy with this signing

Bad draft night for us. Hartenstein dropped to 43rd and it seems we won't get a nice buy-out cash as Houston doesn't plan to get him to NBA next season. We could sign player or two for that money, now no idea what to do with him

Edit: according to latest GM words - we have deal with Hartenstein till 2020, that's interesting, no info was announced about re-signing at all. So that's good, we have another two summers

Source: Zalgiris Kaunas agreed to deal with Gran Canaria forward Royce O'Neale, who has NBA out and will play Summer League.

Quote Originally Posted by edvinas9 View Post
    Source: Zalgiris Kaunas agreed to deal with Gran Canaria forward Royce O'Neale, who has NBA out and will play Summer League.
    So, Isaiah Hartenstein becames the sixth foreigner, which is over the LKL limit (5). My bet is that he is going to be rented to Neptūnas or Lietkabelis. Those teams will play internationally next season and have two good coaches, who will really help him develop. It would be the best option for him, for Žalgiris and for one of those teams as they would get a quality player (possibly a starting PF).

What do you guys think?

So, Isaiah Hartenstein becames the sixth foreigner, which is over the LKL limit (5). My bet is that he is going to be rented to Neptūnas or Lietkabelis. Those teams will play internationally next season and have two good coaches, who will really help him develop. It would be the best option for him, for Žalgiris and for one of those teams as they would get a quality player (possibly a starting PF).

What do you guys think?
    Limit is 5+1, you can add another player by payin' 14500 euro. So no problem. One way or another, there's surely no place for all the big youngsters on roster now - Hartenstein, Birutis, Masiulis, then Sajus might join preparations (not sure if he has valid deal), maybe even Echodas, whos contract expired, but he might be invited to practise and see how it goes. But there are basically only two places as 5th-6th bigs. So someone will have to go. I think if Hartenstein and his agent will express a will to stay and fight for playin' time, he will. A lot depend on their opinion. Then summer preparations will tell. There're strong talks that some will be loaned to Siauliai then

Quote Originally Posted by Mindozas View Post
    Limit is 5+1, you can add another player by payin' 14500 euro. So no problem. One way or another, there's surely no place for all the big youngsters on roster now - Hartenstein, Birutis, Masiulis, then Sajus might join preparations (not sure if he has valid deal), maybe even Echodas, whos contract expired, but he might be invited to practise and see how it goes. But there are basically only two places as 5th-6th bigs. So someone will have to go. I think if Hartenstein and his agent will express a will to stay and fight for playin' time, he will. A lot depend on their opinion. Then summer preparations will tell. There're strong talks that some will be loaned to Siauliai then
    Which LKL teams will play internationally next year?

I read the rumors about Šiauliai, but I think that the players will probably be loaned to the clubs playing in international competitions. I think that there is much more use for the loaned players to be able to get this type of experience. Though, on the other hand, Sireika is a great coach to be mentored by. Still, I find Maksvytis and Adomaitis to be (especially, Maksvytis) good coaches for young player development. I hope to see our youngsters playing for those two coaches. Lietkabelis also proved to have a very good coaching and medicall staff overall. Having in mind the doubts that fans had of Lietkabelis chances to remain healthy and competitive throughout the season - they did an extraordinary job. If they get to keep some of the veterans it will be a very valuabe experience for the youngsters.

Both Maskvytis and Adomaitis are free right now

Which LKL teams will play internationally next year?
    Lietkabelis, Rytas (Eurocup), Neptunas, Juventus, Vytautas (FIBA BCL). Some might play in FIBA Eurocup, atleast Nevezis applied for it

Royce O'Neale official. Still has an opportunity to go to NBA if he gets a guaranted contract. But all in all, roster is done. This is how it will look:

PG Vasilje Micič(SG), Lukas Lekavičius, Paulius Valinskas
    SG Kevin Pangos(PG), Artūras Milaknis
    PF Paulius Jankūnas(C), Aaron White, Gytis Masiulis/Isiah Hartestein(C)
    C Brandon Davies(PF), Antanas Kavaliauskas, Laurynas Birutis/Martynas Sajus/Martynas Echodas(PF)

Micič will be our brain on the court, our creator. He will have to be able to defend PG/SG/SF.
    Pangos will be our main shooter, a little bit of creator, scoring help.
    Ulanovas and Jankūnas will be our defence and stability guys, that can average 8-12PTS per game and defend very well. Creat too.
    Davies and O'Neale will have to help in scoring, rebounding and especially on defence were they can swith on smaller or bigger opponents. It's a key detale.
    White will help on defence and rebounding, should make a couple of shots, a couple finishes to the basket. Again, he will help on switches.
    Lekavičius will be our sixth man, that gets everyone going with his speed. He will be our main scorer of the bench.
    Milaknis came back to his primal spot- SG. Now he will shoot more, less running, less minutes equels better percentage.
    Kavaliauskas should be a decent scoring center of the bench, especially when he will heal his injury.

All in all, team got way more athletic, maybe a little bit worse on creation (Westermann gone ), but on shooting we got a little bit upgrade. Yeah we lost our one of the best shooters Motum, but White is not a bad pick up, then Davies is way better shooter than Lima and O'Neale is way better shooter than Seibutis. Micič, how statistics shows, should be better shooter than Westermann as well. Can't wait till the start of the season

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast