Zalgiris Kaunas 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
    With Micic on the roster, Pangos will be used more as a SG, since Vasa is really a PG and losses a lot of efficiency in SG role. Pangos can play more of a Bobby Dixon role as a shooting guard and scoring. Something he can do.

As for a good idea for SF, bring in Grigonis he should be able to help. Then get an athletic C to run PnR with and defend/rebound.
    Don't believe, that Grigonis could take that role, that we want to give SG/SF player. We need a strong, athletic player for good defence, because this season Zalgiris lacked it with Seibutis, or Milaknis in SF position. Grigonis would be the same. Pangos would take SG role, but he would be a PG because of his height, like this season with Leo, when Pangos would start as PG, but Leo did all the PG work.

Comment

Jasikevicius re-sign another two year contract with Zalgiris. Big win.

Comment

Saras said, that team is thinking what to do with centers, probobly will add a SG. But you can understand, that contract with Lima can be renewed :/ I hope he won't renew and we will search for better C. Now, I think Zalgiris will calm down and wait for the draft, were Hartestein will be drafted, Zalgiris should get a buyout 650k (!). Ten we will search for the best option for the SG and C positions. That was a fun week Two new players, renew with Saras... Now I guess we will wait.

Comment

Could Daniel Hackett join Zalgiris? I mean, would it be possible? How much would a team need to pay him? Have in mind, that Zalgiris has great fans, one of the best arena in Euroleague, a spot in starting lineup and 25+ minutes in EL, plus great locker room atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by ZalgirisFanForLife View Post
            Could Daniel Hackett join Zalgiris? I mean, would it be possible? How much would a team need to pay him? Have in mind, that Zalgiris has great fans, one of the best arena in Euroleague, a spot in starting lineup and 25+ minutes in EL, plus great locker room atmosphere.
            He had a 800-900K salary last year. (bear in mind he was injured for 6 months so his price has obviously dropped). He has been informed that probably Oly won't renew him but his priority is to keep playing for Oly. In any other case there are already some Italian clubs which are interested in him and at the moment it's more likely for him to move there.
            1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Žalgiris might bring Lima for another season, rumours say. If Hartestein goes to the NBA, Žalgiris gets the buyout, another center can join Kavaliauskas and Lima. It would be perfect. And another SG or SG/SF player we are looking for. The things will be moving after NBA drafts and Hartestein situation. Still waiting.

Comment

Žalgiris might bring Lima for another season, rumours say. If Hartestein goes to the NBA, Žalgiris gets the buyout, another center can join Kavaliauskas and Lima. It would be perfect. And another SG or SG/SF player we are looking for. The things will be moving after NBA drafts and Hartestein situation. Still waiting.
                What the limit of foreign players in national competition?

Comment

Originally posted by AMJA View Post
                  What the limit of foreign players in national competition?
                  6- Pangos, Micic, new SG, White, Lima, new C. As you see, there will be 6 foreigners, no Hartestein, I'm 90% sure.

Comment

6- Pangos, Micic, new SG, White, Lima, new C. As you see, there will be 6 foreigners, no Hartestein, I'm 90% sure.
                    I would be so happy if that happen.

Comment

It would be strange two have to foreigner centers. I wish that the third center place would go to Birutis, as he seems to be quite promising.

My perfect roster of 14 players (which Žalgiris traditionally rotates) would be:
                      PG - Mičič, Lekavičius, Valinskas
                      SG - Pangos, Grigonis
                      SF - Anderson, Ulanovas, Milaknis
                      PF - Jankūnas, White, Masiulis
                      C - Lima / [New athletic big], Kavaliauskas, Birutis
                      • I am not yet a big fan of Valinskas, but I think he deserves to continue to serve as the third PG option for LKL, he showed some promise.
                      • Masiulis seems like someone who could become a new Jankūnas, hopefully. I really liked the flashes of potential European star he showed during some LKL games. I hope that after two seasons Žalgiris won't have to be looking for a foreign PF and that Masiulis and Jankūnas would become a very strong PF duo. Once Jankūnas retires, Masiulis seems like he could replace him as the starting PF for Kaunas team. Given the fact that green flows through his veins, I believe that he could become the face of the franchise (though, I hope that from Ulanovas and Lekavičius too, they seem to be near their potential ceiling and I think it won't be hard to maintain them in the team throughout their career, as they both seem like someone, who have patriotic attitude towards the team).
                      • Birutis also proved while in Prienai that he is already a very deserving rotation player for Žalgiris in LKL and he also does seem to have great potential for becoming a good rotation center (15 min) for an Euroleague team.
                      • Both of them seem like one of the purest talents that have been a part of the Žalgiris system in years (like Gudaitis, Grigonis, Velička or Kulboka), but also remained loyal and remained in the team. (though, I also liked Miniotas, who reminds me of Lavrinovič brothers, both from playing style and looks unfortunately, there is no space for him and he would not be able to provide what White will provide if the American fulfills his expectations of being energetic, athletic and flashy)
                      • Grigonis would be a great replacement for Seibutis. He already played in the Lithuanian NT, so he has a sense of what is the atmosphere in the locker room, was a part of Žalgiris youth system and I really liked the way he played during the Olympics, as well as, he had a good season this year. He still has potential, does not lack confidence and is an energetic player. The only concern that I have about him is that when he was younger he was famous for his off-court activities, but with the authorities around him such as Jankūnas, Jasikevičius, Javtokas (as an assistant GM) & others, I think that he would maintain his focus where it is needed to be.
                      • Also, I hope that the rumors you've spread about Anderson will come true, he seems like that missing part to put Žalgiris one level ahead, which would allow to reach TOP-8. (having him and Leo, would've been a dream come true, but I like the potential in Mičič. In addition, the latest work of Žalgiris medical and physical preparation staff is just phenomenal and gives a belief that the players will remain healthy throughout the season.)
                      • I would really like to see no more than 5 foreigners and to see more chances given to the youngsters.
                      • Finally, I don't really see a major difference skill-wise between Solomon and Lima, so if the candidates are at that level of skill, I would prefer to see Lima. I haven't really enjoyed his game the whole season, but he did showed some flashes of being really good in defense and with a little work on his post-game, he would be a good fit, as he already knows what to expect in Kaunas, has good chemistry with the team. Only if the team would find someone with a potential to be some kind of a Vogioukas-Lima mix type of player (creative on offense, athletic, energetic, good on defense), would I think that it's better to take a new player, instead of keeping someone who has already established himself in the team.

Ha! When I started posting, I wasn't expecting to write such a long post!

Anyway, eventually, I have all the trust in Jasikevičius and Motiejūnas joint-ability to pick the right type of players to improve the existing system.

2017/2018 seems like a very promising season!!

Comment

Augusto Lima stays in Kaunas.

Comment

Originally posted by AMJA View Post
                          Augusto Lima stays in Kaunas.
                          Any sources?

Comment

Royce O'Neale is close to Zalgiris Kaunas

Comment

Would be a great signing! I pretty liked him in Ludwigsburg (at the end of his rookie-season he exploded) and he pretty much improved his all-round-game in Gran Canara. Great slasher/athlete, high Basketball IQ, good passer, solid defender, solid Shooter out of the catch and shoot (a bit streaky), but he completely lacks a jumpshot. Though he has a nice runner in his repertoire. After his first season I told my brother, he is gonna be a great Euroleague player one day. You will have a lot of fun with him IMO.

Comment

Roster will look like this, if Lima and Pangos will extend (about 95%) and O'Neale signs:

PG Vasilje Micič(SG), Lukas Lekavičius
                                SG Kevin Pangos(PG), Artūras Milaknis, Paulius Valinskas
                                SF Edgaras Ulanovas, Royce O'Neale(SG)
                                PF Paulius Jankūnas, Aaron White, Gytis Masiulis
                                C Antanas Kavaliauskas, Augusto Lima, 60% possibility of new, decent center.

That's definetly an upgrade. I'm very happy with the team this year. More athletic (like 2x), youngster with more experience, better shooters at PG/SG/SF, only White is worse shooter than Motum. Still waiting on that new center Kavaliauskas was injured (spinal hernia) all season, thats why he played so bad, he will heal it at the summer period.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information