EL Clubs Budget Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Axl Rose Is God View Post
    In an ideal world, I'd wish all the teams to have great budgets similar to each other, but we aint dwell in one. I have the utmost respect for all teams especially the ones with the low budgets, but I want the big spenders to get the best of their investments and keep on spending those monies so that the quality players can stay in EL. Btw, claiming to be a big club but having low budgets is kinda an insult for these teams, if they are big they should have more budgets regardless of the current economy in their countries. I love my team a lot, but I'll only be claiming that Fener is a great bball club only if we become successful in postObra era. He really is a real game changing factor and wherever he goes would be succesful no matter what given a certain budget.
    How does more money help Euroleague growth?
    I do not have any problem with any specific teams, I understand that sports is not just business but nevertheless having a league where the vast majority of teams loose money year after year just doesn't sound right to me.

Anyway, EL won't be able to bring decent talent from the NBA (Mirotic is an exception, and still he is just 70-80 best player in the league).
    If you want growth, you should focus on increasing income (I don't even speak about profit since it is so far away now). It means starting to give less tickets to countries like Russia (1 is more than enough), with all the respect to their oil money and their decision to spend it on foreign multi-millions instead of on their citizens, they have proven time after time that there is no market for basketball there.
    It also mean stopping with this Final 4 nonsense. We have so many useless games during the season, but when it comes to money time we just finishing the most interesting part of the season in 2 days.

This 2 moves alone will bring you more growth than increasing salary budgets by 50% to every team in the competitions.

Comment

• European basketball has 3 main problems .Basketball isnt massive sport,its hard for creating big incomes,second is existing Nba ,who are more interested for European young players,and law unregulated conmpensation for trasnfers .Third problem are leading people in European basketball ,they in hard situation successed to made very difficult .So,if at least one of this three problems will not be solved,European basketball couldnt be better .I realize ,its hard for Eca by participation in Euroleague give 2 milions all clubs,and for example 20 for winner ,between placed also by merits .But,for victory in Euroleague 40000 Euros,its shame ,couldnt bi bigger .If Eca is normal organization,must to financed at least 1 quarth budget of clubs .If that isnt,than results are degraded and every momemnt one very successful could failed .Like,Virtus 2004, untill now ,they recuparated,like Partizan ,or Cibona,or Aris ,Paok,Benneton which doesnt existst ,Fortitudo .But,clubs from states which invest money in basketball no matter if they sprouted in last 10 or 15 years ,they have some importance in European basketball .Darussafaka,Zenit,Lokomotiva,Bayern,Khimki,Galata saray,and with this two phenomens basketball loses criterions,spirit at finally loses sense .

Comment

• CSKA is going to have 26mln euro budget for salaries next season (13% taxes included)

Comment

• Real Madrid President asks NBA to include team in NBA Eastern Conference
          https://www.rt.com/sport/468755-real-madrid-nba-perez/

They say they have outgrown Euro competition and play many "pointless games"

What are our thoughts on this?
          VEF RIGA
          Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

• Originally posted by Uskoton View Post
            Real Madrid President asks NBA to include team in NBA Eastern Conference
            https://www.rt.com/sport/468755-real-madrid-nba-perez/

They say they have outgrown Euro competition and play many "pointless games"

What are our thoughts on this?
            It's true we've pointless games. But that can be repaired easily. We don't need to change continent. I am pretty sure many teams will agree with this and the teams can force the EL management to play less games in regular season (like accepting only 15 teams maximum) and playing more games by playing the final four in a playoff format. Semi-finals and finals should be no different than the playoffs. One game format is really stupid way to determine the best team of europe. We're playing this as a league format, then we're determining the best team by winning a single game among the best 4 teams. What if one of these teams plays bad on that specific day, or what if one of his players of those teams plays very good on that specific day? That's not fair at all.

Or another solution is this; choose 18 teams again, but there will no playoff. At the end of the season, the team finishes at the top takes the trophy like it's in the domestic football leagues.

As for NBA idea;

Real madrid can invest more money, as well as Barça, and CSKA. Probably Olimpia milano too. But that's it. We're in no condition to increase our budget (30 million dolar) we barely find this amount of money. Not even mention the greek teams like Oly and Pana, Oly barely paid their own players, let alone increasing their budget. Weakest team in NBA, if I am not wrong, has 390 million dolar budget, that's 12 times bigger than an average top EL team like us and 8 times bigger than elite top teams like CSKA or Real, and that's the weakest NBA team. I don't see how even Real or Barça can increase their budget to even 90 million.

Let's say they did it. That's not even the main problem.

1- EL rules are different, especially the most important differences are ; 3 seconds defensive rule, hand checking and +8 minutes more. How can a EL team will adapt to that? And while adapting to this rule, they will again play with European rules in their domestic league? That doesn't sound plausible.

2- Travel difficulties. The flight between USA and Europe takes 10 hours. That's playing with Gran Canaria every time. That would be really, really tiring for both teams. They can do 4 games away, 4 games home, but then what will happen to the domestic games in Europe?

The only way I see this is possible;
            1- NBA will select a couple of European teams, and they will help the European teams financially, if not, only teams like Real and CSKA can join.
            2- The teams will abandon their domestic leagues and other competitions and they will train accordingly to NBA rules. Will the Spain and Russian basketball federation accept that? What will happen to these teams if joining to NBA doesn't work? Are these federation will accept these teams back?

It doesn't seem very possible in the near future. This needs a very detailed work and organization first.
            FENERBAHÇE
            --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020 Turkish Basketball Cup Champion ---
            --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022 Turkish Basketball League Champion ---
            --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
            --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

Comment

• The obvious response to this is that the NBA has even more "pointless" games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jazz View Post
                The obvious response to this is that the NBA has even more "pointless" games.
                Without pointless games there’s less revenue. With less revenue obviously there’s less money to attract the best players and athletes to the sport. It’s a trade off. They play all these games in order to build the sport. The payoff for the NBA season and all those pointless games is the playoffs.
                You can’t have it both ways. Play very few games therefore jam packed with meaning but resulting in a lot less revenue.
                That’s economics/real world 101. Not fairy tale fan wishes.
                Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
                  Without pointless games there’s less revenue. With less revenue obviously there’s less money to attract the best players and athletes to the sport. It’s a trade off. They play all these games in order to build the sport. The payoff for the NBA season and all those pointless games is the playoffs.
                  You can’t have it both ways. Play very few games therefore jam packed with meaning but resulting in a lot less revenue.
                  But the NFL has very few games and generates giant revenue.
                  Won't the importance of less games be a factor that attracts more people?
                  3rd, Euroleague IBN prediction game 2019

Comment

I know I was slightly flippant in my reply, but I was responding to Perez's comments by pointing out that playing in the NBA will involve playing a lot more games. I'm aware of the economic reality and why things are unlikely to change. I guess there's a possibility that with a reduced schedule, fan interest and demand may go up to counteract that but there's no way the business people will take that risk. The NBA could still attract the best players in the world even with significantly reduced revenue though.

A lot of fans do enjoy the grind of the NBA season as well but I just found it a very strange comment from him. Real have been very dominant in the ACB with Barca in the doldrums the last few seasons and have been very successful in the Euroleague, but it's not as if they've been winning it every single season. And right now Barcelona have the strongest roster in the Europe.

Comment

• Originally posted by paspalj View Post
                      But the NFL has very few games and generates giant revenue.
                      Won't the importance of less games be a factor that attracts more people?
                      Yeah but those sports are not conducive to many games. So yes the limited amount of games is attractive there and you get the best possible product because of it. Basketball is different. One of the major factors in why the European player has improved in my opinion was the increased workload. In the 1980’s the European player was not accustomed to playing many games like the American. Many leagues had weekly games. That’s just not enough to hone the necessary skills and you get an inferior product. So something like 30 or 40 games in the long run would hurt the product. So 82 is an arbitrary number and probably too many but you need a lot of games in basketball.
                      Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Yeah but those sports are not conducive to many games. So yes the limited amount of games is attractive there and you get the best possible product because of it. Basketball is different. One of the major factors in why the European player has improved in my opinion was the increased workload. In the 1980’s the European player was not accustomed to playing many games like the American. Many leagues had weekly games. That’s just not enough to hone the necessary skills and you get an inferior product. So something like 30 or 40 games in the long run would hurt the product. So 82 is an arbitrary number and probably too many but you need a lot of games in basketball.
                        The flip side of that is that NBA teams don't really have much time at all to practice. It's probably not possible now at Euroleague level because of the added games but fairly recently European teams would be practicing twice a day during the season. But obviously a player is going to develop more from competitive games.

Comment

• Official budgets of the Russian teams for the season:

CSKA Moscow - 40,7€ million
                          Khimki - 33,3€ million
                          Zenit St. Petersburg- 26,7€ million
                          Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa yaşa;
                          Adın yazılacak mücevher taşa.

Comment

• Originally posted by SaliH View Post
                            Official budgets of the Russian teams for the season:

CSKA Moscow - 40,7€ million
                            Khimki - 33,3€ million
                            Zenit St. Petersburg- 26,7€ million
                            It was for previous season. For current one we'll know next year. All we know that CSKA has 26mln one for salaries

Comment

• Gherardini said that Fener is not a top 5 budget this year. Madrid, Barça, CSKA, Khimki, and Milano or Efes?
                              Dilimde şarkıların gündüz gece
                              Deli gibi aşığız Fenerbahçe
                              Bu dünyayı yakarız senin için
                              Şampiyonluk gelince

Comment

• Zalgiris total budget 11.9mln (+1,2mln bigger than previous season), for salaries 8,5mln (+1.1mln)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information