Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - EUROPE

Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    The Fiba World Cup is naturally doomed to fail. How can an event be elevated or considered prestigious if the best players from the best country in the sport don’t care about it. The Olympic tournament will always be the premier tournament.
    The best solution would be to get rid of it all together and just focus on Eurobasket as the second most important tournament. Olympic tournament every 4 years with Eurobaskets every two years is the way to go. You can even enlarge the Olympic qualifying tournament and hold it the summer before the Olympics. There’s really no tinkering or anything that can be done to enhance the world championships, and if you think there is you are fooling yourself.
    you are definitely right, but FIBA's plan is to replace Olympics in prestige, as in football, with the FIBA world cup. They can only achieve that if Olympic committee sets similar limitations, and I think that's what FIBA scheming for.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    you are definitely right, but FIBA's plan is to replace Olympics in prestige, as in football, with the FIBA world cup. They can only achieve that if Olympic committee sets similar limitations, and I think that's what FIBA scheming for.
    I don't know what is in FIBA plans, but situation in football is certainly not the same as the situation in basketball. I mean, the very reason why the football olympic tournament is so meaningless is schedule in major football leagues. So, there is no room for players in august to participate in such competition.

Basketball is different. No tournaments, no competitions, no games in july, august, september ...

Quote Originally Posted by markkanen View Post
    I don't know what is in FIBA plans, but situation in football is certainly not the same as the situation in basketball. I mean, the very reason why the football olympic tournament is so meaningless is schedule in major football leagues. So, there is no room for players in august to participate in such competition.

Basketball is different. No tournaments, no competitions, no games in july, august, september ...
    I would love to see this tournament be replaced by Ryder Cup style format every four years. The Olympic and Eurobasket tournaments would be the premier international tournaments. And a United States, Europe and you can even throw in a Rest of the world team could have a round robin playoff series. It would be very competitive and would definitely have a lot of juice. A united European team would be on par if not more talented than a B team type United States team.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516