Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 361

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - EUROPE

  1. #301
    Efes fan Levenspiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    6,962
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    The Fiba World Cup is naturally doomed to fail. How can an event be elevated or considered prestigious if the best players from the best country in the sport don’t care about it. The Olympic tournament will always be the premier tournament.
    The best solution would be to get rid of it all together and just focus on Eurobasket as the second most important tournament. Olympic tournament every 4 years with Eurobaskets every two years is the way to go. You can even enlarge the Olympic qualifying tournament and hold it the summer before the Olympics. There’s really no tinkering or anything that can be done to enhance the world championships, and if you think there is you are fooling yourself.
    you are definitely right, but FIBA's plan is to replace Olympics in prestige, as in football, with the FIBA world cup. They can only achieve that if Olympic committee sets similar limitations, and I think that's what FIBA scheming for.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

  2. #302
    Senior Member markkanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    351
    Country: Finland

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    you are definitely right, but FIBA's plan is to replace Olympics in prestige, as in football, with the FIBA world cup. They can only achieve that if Olympic committee sets similar limitations, and I think that's what FIBA scheming for.
    I don't know what is in FIBA plans, but situation in football is certainly not the same as the situation in basketball. I mean, the very reason why the football olympic tournament is so meaningless is schedule in major football leagues. So, there is no room for players in august to participate in such competition.

    Basketball is different. No tournaments, no competitions, no games in july, august, september ...

  3. #303
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markkanen View Post
    I don't know what is in FIBA plans, but situation in football is certainly not the same as the situation in basketball. I mean, the very reason why the football olympic tournament is so meaningless is schedule in major football leagues. So, there is no room for players in august to participate in such competition.

    Basketball is different. No tournaments, no competitions, no games in july, august, september ...
    I would love to see this tournament be replaced by Ryder Cup style format every four years. The Olympic and Eurobasket tournaments would be the premier international tournaments. And a United States, Europe and you can even throw in a Rest of the world team could have a round robin playoff series. It would be very competitive and would definitely have a lot of juice. A united European team would be on par if not more talented than a B team type United States team.

  4. #304
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1
    Country: United States

    Default

    This is how we latest urdu news end https://urdu.arynews.tv/ up with Slovenia, the defending European champion, home of the Dragics and Luka Doncic, out of the 2019 World Cup nine months before it even began.

  5. #305
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,314
    Country: United States

    Default

    Wild day

    Finland wins and forces a do or die game with Russia on Sunday. If Russia wins they're in, and if Finland wins by 3 or more they're in.

    Serbia friggin loses to Estonia, and will have to wait for results today or will have to play for their lives on Sunday.

    edit: And now Israel beat Germany setting up a massive game against Serbia on Sunday.
    Last edited by Dtown; 02-21-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  6. #306
    Senior Member markkanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    351
    Country: Finland

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Wild day

    Finland wins and forces a do or die game with Russia on Sunday. If Russia wins they're in, and if Finland wins by 3 or more they're in.

    Serbia friggin loses to Estonia, and will have to wait for results today or will have to play for their lives on Sunday.

    edit: And now Israel beat Germany setting up a massive game against Serbia on Sunday.
    Two words, one man - Jamar Wilson. We will see, Petteri is with team now and he will play against Russia in do or die game on Sunday.

  7. #307
    Senior Member Tevfik1907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    İstanbul / Türkiye
    Posts
    997
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Czech RP
    France
    Germany
    Turkey
    Greece
    Lithuania
    Spain

    Qualified

    5 teams more (probably Italy, Russia, Serbia, Latvia and Poland) , and the latest European Champion Slovenia has no chance to be one of them. I hope FIBA is really proud of what they done.

    Not only Slovenia, Croatia has almost no chance too if I am not mistaken.

    Anyway, we will play a formality game with Slovenia today, it's really weird.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish Cup Champion ---
    ---1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish League Champion ---
    ---2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

  8. #308
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,059
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Wild day

    Finland wins and forces a do or die game with Russia on Sunday. If Russia wins they're in, and if Finland wins by 3 or more they're in.

    Serbia friggin loses to Estonia, and will have to wait for results today or will have to play for their lives on Sunday.

    edit: And now Israel beat Germany setting up a massive game against Serbia on Sunday.
    I was expected Finland to win, they were favorites against this France, but how Serbia fcked up is just amazing. I couldn't believe it when a friend told me yesterday at pub, thought he is already done I mean against Estonia, latter not even bein' at best... Of course Serbia still are main contenders to advance, they can even lose vs Israel by 21pts as long as Georgia will beat Estonia at home, making it 3-way tie between Serbs, Israel and Georgia, where Serbia will have advantage thnx to 2 huge wins over Georgia. Anyway, you can't put yourself into such position what so ever


  9. #309
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    1,735
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Comon Latvia and Finland you just need one good away win and you are in for WC19.In one game such shooting teams are always dangerous and unpredictable.

  10. #310
    Senior Member markkanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    351
    Country: Finland

    Default

    Today is Jamar's birthday. Wish him best, and another great game on Sunday , and of course - another win. Although, without a proper center it will be very difficult task.

  11. #311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Serbia friggin loses to Estonia, and will have to wait for results today or will have to play for their lives on Sunday.
    Wow. Seriously? And Serbia had Teodosič. We are talking about arguably second best NT in the world after USA. Their B or C teams should play way better, specially when they badly needed it. On other hand, Estonia! Congrats.

    As for Latvia, I would like to see them in WC because of guys like Bertans and Kurucs, but obviously Porzingis wouldn't play anyways after sitting out so long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

  12. #312
    Senior Member Tevfik1907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    İstanbul / Türkiye
    Posts
    997
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Wow. Seriously? And Serbia had Teodosič. We are talking about arguably second best NT in the world after USA. .
    Yeah.

    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish Cup Champion ---
    ---1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish League Champion ---
    ---2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

  13. #313
    Senior Member Tevfik1907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    İstanbul / Türkiye
    Posts
    997
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Buğrahan Tunçer played very well, I don't know what this kid is doing at Efes's bench, he has no chance to play there with Efes's wide guard rotation and he is wasting his time, he need to go to a team that he can play. Sinan's 5 assists, and Metecan's ribaunts were important too. We also had no Cedi, Furkan, Ersan and Wilbekin in this game.

    Last edited by Tevfik1907; 02-22-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish Cup Champion ---
    ---1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish League Champion ---
    ---2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

  14. #314
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,314
    Country: United States

    Default

    Early games starting to wrap.

    Poland eliminates Croatia and might qualify today depending on Italy vs Hungary

    Montenegro comes back from 19 down to eliminate Ukraine.

    Latvia loses close to Spain.

    Montenegro vs Latvia will be for the last place in the group. Montenegro just needs to win, Latvia needs to win by at least 9 to get in.

    Edit: Italy demolishes Hungary and eliminates them. Italy (first since 2006) and Poland (first since 1967) both qualify.
    Last edited by Dtown; 02-22-2019 at 08:47 PM.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  15. #315
    Senior Member Tevfik1907's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    İstanbul / Türkiye
    Posts
    997
    Country: Turkey

    Default

    Even if Montenegro lose with -8 points at home against Latvia, they get the ticket. It's almost a miracle now.

    Too bad for Croatia, they could actually do something in the tournament with their real roster, just like Slovenia could.
    Last edited by Tevfik1907; 02-22-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    FENERBAHÇE BASKETBALL
    --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019 Turkish Cup Champion ---
    ---1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 Turkish League Champion ---
    ---2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
    --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

  16. #316
    Senior Member madmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Croatia have only themselves to blame for playing like crap even when they had their NBAers available - they were still playing the same individual iso basketball which just doesn't work in FIBA unless you have the roster of US Dream Team lol. Good riddance I say and let this be a lesson for them

  17. #317
    Senior Member Federoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,399
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Early games starting to wrap.

    Poland eliminates Croatia and might qualify today depending on Italy vs Hungary

    Montenegro comes back from 19 down to eliminate Ukraine.

    Latvia loses close to Spain.

    Montenegro vs Latvia will be for the last place in the group. Montenegro just needs to win, Latvia needs to win by at least 9 to get in.

    Edit: Italy demolishes Hungary and eliminates them. Italy (first since 2006) and Poland (first since 1967) both qualify.
    I'm pulling for Montenegro a bit. Should Serbia lose to Israel (not sure what point differential is needed for Israel to overtake Serbia if both are 6-6, along with Georgia should they win and create a three-way tie), Montenegro would be the only team representing the Balkans. Shocking collapse by Ukraine to even put Montenegro in a position to qualify. Russia-Finland should be a good battle on Sunday also.

  18. #318
    Senior Member Federoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,399
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tevfik1907 View Post
    Czech RP
    France
    Germany
    Turkey
    Greece
    Lithuania
    Spain

    Qualified

    5 teams more (probably Italy, Russia, Serbia, Latvia and Poland) , and the latest European Champion Slovenia has no chance to be one of them. I hope FIBA is really proud of what they done.

    Not only Slovenia, Croatia has almost no chance too if I am not mistaken.

    Anyway, we will play a formality game with Slovenia today, it's really weird.
    We discussed this when FIBA first announced this format. This format has killed the FYR teams, and there's a real possibility that Serbia could also miss the World Cup should they stumble against Israel. Montenegro is in a good position, but they aren't out of the woods yet. Should be an interesting Sunday.

  19. #319
    Senior Member Shawshank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Klaipeda
    Posts
    1,735
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tevfik1907 View Post
    Even if Montenegro lose with -8 points at home against Latvia, they get the ticket. It's almost a miracle now.

    Too bad for Croatia, they could actually do something in the tournament with their real roster, just like Slovenia could.
    Latvians euroleague players strelnieks,timma,bertans was watching game ending in arena versus Spain,they will try to help Latvia in do or die match versus Montenegro.Wouldnt call latvians chance only miracle ones,with those euroleague player they are capable way more than without them.Latvians usually dont have 2 bad shooting games like versus spain they did.Sure montenegro at home and having +8 is favourites,but its not like they have +22 you know..

    i wouldnt call latvians with euroleague players chances winning +9 vs montenegro worse than lets say Finlands chances beat Russia in moscow +3
    Last edited by Shawshank; 02-23-2019 at 10:18 AM.

  20. #320
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,314
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Federoy View Post
    Should Serbia lose to Israel (not sure what point differential is needed for Israel to overtake Serbia if both are 6-6, along with Georgia should they win and create a three-way tie), Montenegro would be the only team representing the Balkans. Shocking collapse by Ukraine to even put Montenegro in a position to qualify. Russia-Finland should be a good battle on Sunday also.
    In event of three way tie Serbia's almost a mathematical certainty. Israel would need to beat them by 22 (Serbia demolished Georgia in their games)

    However if Georgia loses to Estonia, all Israel has to do is win to get in and knock out Serbia.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •