This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
    The Fiba World Cup is naturally doomed to fail. How can an event be elevated or considered prestigious if the best players from the best country in the sport don’t care about it. The Olympic tournament will always be the premier tournament.
    The best solution would be to get rid of it all together and just focus on Eurobasket as the second most important tournament. Olympic tournament every 4 years with Eurobaskets every two years is the way to go. You can even enlarge the Olympic qualifying tournament and hold it the summer before the Olympics. There’s really no tinkering or anything that can be done to enhance the world championships, and if you think there is you are fooling yourself.
    you are definitely right, but FIBA's plan is to replace Olympics in prestige, as in football, with the FIBA world cup. They can only achieve that if Olympic committee sets similar limitations, and I think that's what FIBA scheming for.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
      you are definitely right, but FIBA's plan is to replace Olympics in prestige, as in football, with the FIBA world cup. They can only achieve that if Olympic committee sets similar limitations, and I think that's what FIBA scheming for.
      I don't know what is in FIBA plans, but situation in football is certainly not the same as the situation in basketball. I mean, the very reason why the football olympic tournament is so meaningless is schedule in major football leagues. So, there is no room for players in august to participate in such competition.

Basketball is different. No tournaments, no competitions, no games in july, august, september ...

Comment

• Originally posted by markkanen View Post
        I don't know what is in FIBA plans, but situation in football is certainly not the same as the situation in basketball. I mean, the very reason why the football olympic tournament is so meaningless is schedule in major football leagues. So, there is no room for players in august to participate in such competition.

Basketball is different. No tournaments, no competitions, no games in july, august, september ...
        I would love to see this tournament be replaced by Ryder Cup style format every four years. The Olympic and Eurobasket tournaments would be the premier international tournaments. And a United States, Europe and you can even throw in a Rest of the world team could have a round robin playoff series. It would be very competitive and would definitely have a lot of juice. A united European team would be on par if not more talented than a B team type United States team.
        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• This is how we latest urdu news end https://urdu.arynews.tv/ up with Slovenia, the defending European champion, home of the Dragics and Luka Doncic, out of the 2019 World Cup nine months before it even began.

Comment

• Wild day

Finland wins and forces a do or die game with Russia on Sunday. If Russia wins they're in, and if Finland wins by 3 or more they're in.

Serbia friggin loses to Estonia, and will have to wait for results today or will have to play for their lives on Sunday.

edit: And now Israel beat Germany setting up a massive game against Serbia on Sunday.
            Last edited by Dtown; 02-21-2019, 07:20 PM.
            Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dtown View Post
              Wild day

Finland wins and forces a do or die game with Russia on Sunday. If Russia wins they're in, and if Finland wins by 3 or more they're in.

Serbia friggin loses to Estonia, and will have to wait for results today or will have to play for their lives on Sunday.

edit: And now Israel beat Germany setting up a massive game against Serbia on Sunday.
              Two words, one man - Jamar Wilson. We will see, Petteri is with team now and he will play against Russia in do or die game on Sunday.

Comment

• Czech RP
                France
                Germany
                Turkey
                Greece
                Lithuania
                Spain

Qualified

5 teams more (probably Italy, Russia, Serbia, Latvia and Poland) , and the latest European Champion Slovenia has no chance to be one of them. I hope FIBA is really proud of what they done.

Not only Slovenia, Croatia has almost no chance too if I am not mistaken.

Anyway, we will play a formality game with Slovenia today, it's really weird.
                FENERBAHÇE
                --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020 Turkish Basketball Cup Champion ---
                --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022 Turkish Basketball League Champion ---
                --- 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019 Euroleague Final Four ---
                --- 2017 Euroleague Champion ---

Comment

Wild day

I was expected Finland to win, they were favorites against this France, but how Serbia fcked up is just amazing. I couldn't believe it when a friend told me yesterday at pub, thought he is already done I mean against Estonia, latter not even bein' at best... Of course Serbia still are main contenders to advance, they can even lose vs Israel by 21pts as long as Georgia will beat Estonia at home, making it 3-way tie between Serbs, Israel and Georgia, where Serbia will have advantage thnx to 2 huge wins over Georgia. Anyway, you can't put yourself into such position what so ever

Comment

• Comon Latvia and Finland you just need one good away win and you are in for WC19.In one game such shooting teams are always dangerous and unpredictable.

Comment

• Today is Jamar's birthday. Wish him best, and another great game on Sunday , and of course - another win. Although, without a proper center it will be very difficult task.

Comment

Wow. Seriously? And Serbia had Teodosič. We are talking about arguably second best NT in the world after USA. Their B or C teams should play way better, specially when they badly needed it. On other hand, Estonia! Congrats.

As for Latvia, I would like to see them in WC because of guys like Bertans and Kurucs, but obviously Porzingis wouldn't play anyways after sitting out so long.
                        LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                        Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                        Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                          Wow. Seriously? And Serbia had Teodosič. We are talking about arguably second best NT in the world after USA. .
                          Yeah.

FENERBAHÇE
                          --- 1967, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2019, 2020 Turkish Basketball Cup Champion ---
                          --- 1991, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022 Turkish Basketball League Champion ---

Comment

• Buğrahan Tunçer played very well, I don't know what this kid is doing at Efes's bench, he has no chance to play there with Efes's wide guard rotation and he is wasting his time, he need to go to a team that he can play. Sinan's 5 assists, and Metecan's ribaunts were important too. We also had no Cedi, Furkan, Ersan and Wilbekin in this game.

Last edited by Tevfik1907; 02-22-2019, 07:14 PM.
                            FENERBAHÇE

Comment

• Early games starting to wrap.

Poland eliminates Croatia and might qualify today depending on Italy vs Hungary

Montenegro comes back from 19 down to eliminate Ukraine.

Latvia loses close to Spain.

Montenegro vs Latvia will be for the last place in the group. Montenegro just needs to win, Latvia needs to win by at least 9 to get in.

Edit: Italy demolishes Hungary and eliminates them. Italy (first since 2006) and Poland (first since 1967) both qualify.
                              Last edited by Dtown; 02-22-2019, 08:47 PM.
                              Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• Even if Montenegro lose with -8 points at home against Latvia, they get the ticket. It's almost a miracle now.

Too bad for Croatia, they could actually do something in the tournament with their real roster, just like Slovenia could.
                                Last edited by Tevfik1907; 02-22-2019, 11:35 PM.
                                FENERBAHÇE

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information