FIBA Asia Pacific World Cup Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robert0326
    But as i said in previous post, (but erased here, i don't know why?) We still need young guns to gain experience in this kind of competition... most of our senior guys will retire in international duties after WC.. putting them atleast 2 youngsters will not hurt our competitiveness.. Are you want to see Slaughter than Edu... Even you,you will choose Edu over Slaughter right now!!! And CYG likes Remy Martin to be part of the line up.. so basically these two kids are ready now in Seniors level (Edu offense is still raw, but his defense is now seniors type of skill right now)... And you see our opponents in WC, those our opponents are big and agile, we need to upgrade our line up.. we have no players in our beloved PBA have those kind of players that we need that same of talents like Martin and Edu right now!!! But putting 6 youngsters is too much already!!! 2 youngsters are fine already!!!
    Is Slaughter even in consideration for the final lineup right now? He was not even included in the final pool on the last window of the qualifier. Such a useless comparison. zzzz

Remy Martin can play if he wants to since Castro is not getting younger. Edu will have his experience on the U19 World Cup which will happen on June-July.

Realistically, only Remy Martin can be included in the pool and have an immediate impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
      But as i said in previous post, (but erased here, i don't know why?) We still need young guns to gain experience in this kind of competition... most of our senior guys will retire in international duties after WC.. putting them atleast 2 youngsters will not hurt our competitiveness.. Are you want to see Slaughter than Edu... Even you,you will choose Edu over Slaughter right now!!! And CYG likes Remy Martin to be part of the line up.. so basically these two kids are ready now in Seniors level (Edu offense is still raw, but his defense is now seniors type of skill right now)... And you see our opponents in WC, those our opponents are big and agile, we need to upgrade our line up.. we have no players in our beloved PBA have those kind of players that we need that same of talents like Martin and Edu right now!!! But putting 6 youngsters is too much already!!! 2 youngsters are fine already!!!
      Agree with this. If we cant get JC as a local lets get Edu as the Thirdy replacement. He has proven he can move his feet on defense. Thirdy didnt contribute much on the last window. Edu will be more useful defensively. And at this point not much of a downgrade offensively in the perimeter.

And as I said Edus key to NBA stardom is the SF position. His college coach seems hellbent to play him as a center, his perimeter skills, dribbling and shooting, are declining as a result. If his college coach is not developing him the national team should.

I disagree that Edu should bulkup. First he should skillup despite his college coach. On D he is almost there. He can be used against the big SFs and mobile PFs

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
        Agree with this. If we cant get JC as a local lets get Edu as the Thirdy replacement. He has proven he can move his feet on defense. Thirdy didnt contribute much on the last window. Edu will be more useful defensively. And at this point not much of a downgrade offensively in the perimeter.

And as I said Edus key to NBA stardom is the SF position. His college coach seems hellbent to play him as a center, his perimeter skills, dribbling and shooting, are declining as a result. If his college coach is not developing him the national team should.

I disagree that Edu should bulkup. First he should skillup despite his college coach. On D he is almost there. He can be used against the big SFs and mobile PFs
        I disagree with this.Edu can be mobile and have the strength to defend bigs at the same time.I don't think he will be a small forward defender,he is not that quick.We should abolish this "Filipino freak" ambition for him already.I'd be happy to see him as a full time post player and asking him to play the wing will be too much.I'd be happy to see him play as a modern big (that can shoot threes) that can play both the Power Forward and Center position,Edu playing the wing for me is too much to ask.
        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

I’m cool with Edu being a 4 as it’s the position he’s proven to be the most effective.

AJ is currently at 98 kg so he needs to add 9-10 kg more muscle to match a typical NBA power forward like Ibaka or Griffin.
          GILAS WISHLIST:
          6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
            If you saw the ASU vs Buffalo match yesterday, you'd realize how good a defender AJ already is. Buffalo bigs were eating ASU bigs on offense all night while aj Edu defended against them in the MAC games. I don't think there is any single other gilas bigs who defends better than him.

And let's be realistic, we ain't going to get that Olympic slot because the odds against us ending up with the best finish among asia are too much. Remember that Australia and New Zealand are now classified as "asians" plus, look at who we're competing against compared to the teams China is competing against plus it's they're hosting.

And having 6-7 veterans (including blatche and, in case he gets the green light, Clarkson) plus aj Edu, Remy Martin and 3 young players ain't that bad since teams usually rotate around 8-9 players not all 12. That's already 9 good players to rotate around.

Instead of having 3 old playrrs we ain't even going to utilize what time not give the slots to our 2023 prospects
            Under the Olympic qualifying setup, Australia and NZ will contest the Oceania slot. So Gilas has an actual chance to get the Asian slot, maybe one of the best chances it has had in recent memory.
            Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
              I’m cool with Edu being a 4 as it’s the position he’s proven to be the most effective.

AJ is currently at 98 kg so he needs to add 9-10 kg more muscle to match a typical NBA power forward like Ibaka or Griffin.
              108 kg at around 239 lbs,pwede considering he is around 6'10-6'11 but if he reaches around 228-230 lbs. in time for the WBC, I think that would be good enough.Edu and Martin will be very exciting additions to Gilas.
              "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                108 kg at around 239 lbs,pwede considering he is around 6'10-6'11 but if he reaches around 228-230 lbs. in time for the WBC, I think that would be good enough.Edu and Martin will be very exciting additions to Gilas.
                hopefully edu's coach will play him as a 3/4 next season because the seniors will be graduating

Comment

• Originally posted by xenoloxy View Post
                  hopefully edu's coach will play him as a 3/4 next season because the seniors will be graduating
                  Again, i'm not saying that Edu playing small forward will be highly unlikely.There are a lot of good sized small forwards in the Div.1 that are much more quicker than him.

Comment

Again, i'm not saying that Edu playing small forward will be highly unlikely.There are a lot of good sized small forwards in the Div.1 that are much more quicker than him.
                    Well if he is not that quick then fine. But there are slow type of tall SFs like Ingram and that former Spurs guy. They use their size and length to score and defend but not necessarily their explosiveness or speed.

For me Edus physical measurements are below average for a 4 in the NBA. I think he is just around 7' wingspan. PFs usually have around 7'2 wingspan.

If he gains weight, his speed and vertical might decrease somewhat. He will be more effective offensively but his D might suffer a bit. But if he improves his O it might compensate. Weight gain or not there are risks.

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
                      We must not forget that China has the lightest grouping and they are the host. We know what happens when they are hosting. On the other hand, we are facing Serbia, italy and Angola
                      kaya nga were just hoping for the best.. as we need to get a slot in olympic qualifiers
                      To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                      1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Well if he is not that quick then fine. But there are slow type of tall SFs like Ingram and that former Spurs guy. They use their size and length to score and defend but not necessarily their explosiveness or speed.

For me Edus physical measurements are below average for a 4 in the NBA. I think he is just around 7' wingspan. PFs usually have around 7'2 wingspan.

If he gains weight, his speed and vertical might decrease somewhat. He will be more effective offensively but his D might suffer a bit. But if he improves his O it might compensate. Weight gain or not there are risks.
                        basis please

Comment

basis please
                          7'0 wingspan. His shotblocking is mainly due to his timing and good laterals. He is not extremely explosive or long. At least in the US.

Some players have intruguing skills while others can possess unusual background. AJ Edu combines both categories and takes them to another level. As 6’10 tall player with 7 foot wingspan who is still slowly growing, he makes opponents think twice before getting to the paint, shoots mid range and can run

Comment

• at least the statement is more of an article statement than official one..it might be at least seven feet or close to it, we never know.

Comment

7'0 wingspan. His shotblocking is mainly due to his timing and good laterals. He is not extremely explosive or long. At least in the US.

Some players have intruguing skills while others can possess unusual background. AJ Edu combines both categories and takes them to another level. As 6’10 tall player with 7 foot wingspan who is still slowly growing, he makes opponents think twice before getting to the paint, shoots mid range and can run

https://www.foxsports.ph/basketball/...pinas-in-2023/
                              The Deng Camp was in 2017, we don't know if this is still accurate or not.Considering he has a fairly average wingspan, this does not speak about what position he has to play.Remember even Blake Griffin has a relatively short wingspan.Most NBA "white" centers have 7 foot wingspan (Olynik has 6'10 wingspan but his actual height is measured at 7 feet) as well, at least Edu has an average wingspan (considering his height).

Last edited by Alex07; 03-25-2019, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• about other prospects.. seems bobby parks metabolism is slowing down as he started to get baby fats..but if he can somehow convert it to muscle without dust then he is a shoo in senior team and with how badly beat up alab team as a whole, it was surprising to see him not injured..

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information