Page 659 of 659 FirstFirst ... 159559609649657658659
Results 13,161 to 13,168 of 13168

Thread: FIBA Asia Pacific World Cup Qualifiers

  1. #13161
    Senior Member interxavierxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,405
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zairex View Post
    Your right, my bad. They started training in January.

    Just imagine if we can start training that long how good we can be. We will definitely will check Koreans Off rebounding that killed us in the Asian Games.
    And better pressure defense.

    The Korean team doesn't shoot well when under pressure, which is something the Iranians took advantage of in the last Asian Games.
    SAN ANTONIO SPURS FAN
    est. 2001
    *****


  2. #13162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    255
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    IMO, half the lineup for the 2019 WC should be composed of young players who are being eyed to represent in 2023 WC which we are hosting. The other half will be Blatche and veteran internationalists who are still young enough to still play in 2023. Fajardo, Rosario, Romeo, Parks, Pogoy and Clarkson if he gets the green light to play as a local. Japeth Aguilar will still be considered even if he's already around 30 due to the lack of bigs. Shoo-ins from the young turks will be AJ Edu and Remy Martin since both, IMO, are already capable to contribute significantly. The other prospects are Kai Sotto, Juan Gomez di Liano, thirdy Ravena, Kobe Paras, Robert Bollick, Karl Tamayo and Dave Ildefonso.

    This will not be the strongest we can form but I believe that our best chance to really compete is in 2023 because, beside that we are hosting, the talent and size of the new batch is unprecedented. First, you have Kai Sotto whose ceiling is the sky, AJ Edu whose becoming the bigman defensive specialist we have never had, Remy Martin who is an athletic version of Terence Romeo, JGDL who at 19 already showed he can compete against big boys in Dubai, Dave ildefonso has the strength and size of his dad but has the skills of a guard and IF Kobe Paras matures, with his size, athleticism and strength, I still believe he can be one of our assets in international competitions.

    The headcoach will be Tab Baldwin

  3. #13163
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    23
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astigram04 View Post
    IMO, half the lineup for the 2019 WC should be composed of young players who are being eyed to represent in 2023 WC which we are hosting. The other half will be Blatche and veteran internationalists who are still young enough to still play in 2023. Fajardo, Rosario, Romeo, Parks, Pogoy and Clarkson if he gets the green light to play as a local. Japeth Aguilar will still be considered even if he's already around 30 due to the lack of bigs. Shoo-ins from the young turks will be AJ Edu and Remy Martin since both, IMO, are already capable to contribute significantly. The other prospects are Kai Sotto, Juan Gomez di Liano, thirdy Ravena, Kobe Paras, Robert Bollick, Karl Tamayo and Dave Ildefonso.

    This will not be the strongest we can form but I believe that our best chance to really compete is in 2023 because, beside that we are hosting, the talent and size of the new batch is unprecedented. First, you have Kai Sotto whose ceiling is the sky, AJ Edu whose becoming the bigman defensive specialist we have never had, Remy Martin who is an athletic version of Terence Romeo, JGDL who at 19 already showed he can compete against big boys in Dubai, Dave ildefonso has the strength and size of his dad but has the skills of a guard and IF Kobe Paras matures, with his size, athleticism and strength, I still believe he can be one of our assets in international competitions.

    The headcoach will be Tab Baldwin
    This I agree with. The athleticism of this batch is insane compared to the current one.Imagine AJ's offensive game when he gets more minutes next season (all the current seniors will be gone). I'm sure kobe will redeem himself. Carl tamayo will hopefully be taller and more versatile (playing 2,3,4). I also think geo chiu will be a better Isaac Go once TAB starts coaching him. Plus the young players will have valuable experience they can bring to their current teams.

  4. #13164
    Senior Member ros's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    740

    Default

    World Cup isn't the time to experiment on our very young core for 2023. Why take a gamble on our only possible chance to qualify for Olympics even if it's slim. World Cup is the culmination of what Gilas did for 2 years, it would be anticlimactic to use the World Cup as a "leveling up" tournament for our young core. If we were really that serious on acquiring experience for our 2023 core then they should have been the one playing in the Asian qualifiers. You can't just throw them on the big boys highest stage without prior experience.

    Besides our team will only most likely have 3 games in the World Cup. There are small pocket tournaments that the future Gilas can participate, they should regularly participate in Jones Cup and then find other tournaments where they will play yearly until 2023 and also play the Asian qualifiers for the 2023 World Cup since we don't need it.

    Please be realistic.
    Last edited by ros; 03-20-2019 at 04:34 PM.

  5. #13165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    620
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ros View Post
    World Cup isn't the time to experiment on our very young core for 2023. Why take a gamble on our only possible chance to qualify for Olympics even if it's slim. World Cup is the culmination of what Gilas did for 2 years, it would be anticlimactic to use the World Cup as a "leveling up" tournament for our young core. If we were really that serious on acquiring experience for our 2023 core then they should have been the one playing in the Asian qualifiers. You can't just throw them on the big boys highest stage without prior experience.

    Besides our team will only most likely have 3 games in the World Cup. There are small pocket tournaments that the future Gilas can participate, they should regularly participate in Jones Cup and then find other tournaments where they will play yearly until 2023 and also play the Asian qualifiers for the 2023 World Cup since we don't need it.

    Please be realistic.
    But as i said in previous post, (but erased here, i don't know why?) We still need young guns to gain experience in this kind of competition... most of our senior guys will retire in international duties after WC.. putting them atleast 2 youngsters will not hurt our competitiveness.. Are you want to see Slaughter than Edu... Even you,you will choose Edu over Slaughter right now!!! And CYG likes Remy Martin to be part of the line up.. so basically these two kids are ready now in Seniors level (Edu offense is still raw, but his defense is now seniors type of skill right now)... And you see our opponents in WC, those our opponents are big and agile, we need to upgrade our line up.. we have no players in our beloved PBA have those kind of players that we need that same of talents like Martin and Edu right now!!! But putting 6 youngsters is too much already!!! 2 youngsters are fine already!!!

  6. #13166
    Senior Member yogaflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,298

    Default

    Japeth and Edu will be our Gallinari and Bogdanovic, stoppers because of there length, height and athleticism. That is why we need Edu for his defensive skills and versatility in defense. The tall shooters and wing players will be our biggest problem that is why we need Edu now. Troy and Eram are not that versatile to chase down tall shooters. Even Fajardo, we cannot ask him to defend perimeter players because he is not that good in defending perimeter players and switching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #13167
    Senior Member ros's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robert0326 View Post
    But as i said in previous post, (but erased here, i don't know why?) We still need young guns to gain experience in this kind of competition... most of our senior guys will retire in international duties after WC.. putting them atleast 2 youngsters will not hurt our competitiveness.. Are you want to see Slaughter than Edu... Even you,you will choose Edu over Slaughter right now!!! And CYG likes Remy Martin to be part of the line up.. so basically these two kids are ready now in Seniors level (Edu offense is still raw, but his defense is now seniors type of skill right now)... And you see our opponents in WC, those our opponents are big and agile, we need to upgrade our line up.. we have no players in our beloved PBA have those kind of players that we need that same of talents like Martin and Edu right now!!! But putting 6 youngsters is too much already!!! 2 youngsters are fine already!!!
    Is Slaughter even in consideration for the final lineup right now? He was not even included in the final pool on the last window of the qualifier. Such a useless comparison. zzzz

    Remy Martin can play if he wants to since Castro is not getting younger. Edu will have his experience on the U19 World Cup which will happen on June-July.

    Realistically, only Remy Martin can be included in the pool and have an immediate impact.

  8. #13168
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    620
    Country: Saudi Arabia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ros View Post
    Is Slaughter even in consideration for the final lineup right now? He was not even included in the final pool on the last window of the qualifier. Such a useless comparison. zzzz

    Remy Martin can play if he wants to since Castro is not getting younger. Edu will have his experience on the U19 World Cup which will happen on June-July.

    Realistically, only Remy Martin can be included in the pool and have an immediate impact.
    Martin should be included!!!! But he should replace neither Barroca, Lee or Pogoy, I don't want have a 4 PG's in our line up.. Our team will be undersized at the backcourt if happens!!! Also i want to put Edu on the line up because of match ups.. Our line up is small compare to Serbia, Angola and Italy.. I think their ave. height is about 6'6 to 6'7 while our team is 6'2.. Rosario, Erram and Aguilar are not enough.. We see that in 5th window that these 3 are even outhustled by Iranian bigs.. How much the Serbs, Italians and Angolans.. Even Junmar is outmuch also.. I'm not say Edu is better, But he is one of best cross court match ups available right now vs these teams.. We don't need Edu's offense as of now, We need right now on him is defense!! We don't want Blatche to double work, Blatche will be our number 1 option on offense.. It's too much on him if he also double time on Defense!!! If Clarkson will be local.. It's no brainer!!! He will take Thirdy's slot.. But you should temper your expectations on getting Clarkson as local.. If he's not available, Who in the PBA's talent can contribute on our campaign... As i said, We don't want more PG's on our team.. on SG it should only 2, because Lee (If included, or Martin) can play also off - guard!!! As for SF, aside Norwood, we don't have other options at SF.. Can you trust Almazan? His game is also same as Erram and Rosario.. too much already.. Edu, as it young age, His skillset, length and height will give us help in our frontline!!! He can sub for Japeth, or maybe take his minutes, If somehow Japeth is still rattled in in-game situation.. Edu, even in limited minutes in Toledo can contribute big time and destruct opponents offense.. He is best role player available right now even given his young age!!!

Page 659 of 659 FirstFirst ... 159559609649657658659

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •