Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - AMERICAs

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Nothing is listed anymore. Probably not legit but happen to recall any names?
    It was D-League guys (including Bennett), Ejim, Scrubb brothers, Heslip, Notice, Glaze, Amardi, Anderson, Ashaolu, Anthony, Bhullar, Joseph, Trasolini, Ward, Klassen, and maybe a couple others (Pierre?) that I don't recall. The notable omissions were Pangos and Nicholson, don't think Birch was on there either. Burnatowski and Diressa were not listed so it def wasn't just the AmeriCup list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    It was D-League guys (including Bennett), Ejim, Scrubb brothers, Heslip, Notice, Glaze, Amardi, Anderson, Ashaolu, Anthony, Bhullar, Joseph, Trasolini, Ward, Klassen, and maybe a couple others (Pierre?) that I don't recall. The notable omissions were Pangos and Nicholson, don't think Birch was on there either. Burnatowski and Diressa were not listed so it def wasn't just the AmeriCup list.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep my finders crossed that this is even remotely accurate. It would be a big improvement to the AmeriCup team despite losing Nicholson.

Trasolini and Klassen are decent bigs playing at a solid pro level and could add depth to Bennett, Ejim, Pierre, T. Scrubb, Anthony. Cripes - even Bhullar could do some damage at this level. Would be really nice to see Birch on the list.

XRM, Hanlan, Phil Scrubb, Heslip, Anderson is a decent back court.

Dierresa is injured (and shouldn't be on the team anyways), and Caduogan is injured too - so this list that doesnt exist, make some sense. You'd think if Trasolini or Olashu is willing to fly from Japan - Sacre would too. Nicholson from China too. But we don;t know their personal situations.
    Last edited by mojo13; 11-08-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Argentina cut their list down to 13. Only four overseas-based players, including the China-based Scola:
    http://www.directvsports.com/basquet...-eliminatorias

Uruguay missing the injured Fitipaldo:
    http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/bas...e-uruguay.html
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Argentina cut their list down to 13. Only four overseas-based players, including the China-based Scola:
    http://www.directvsports.com/basquet...-eliminatorias

Uruguay missing the injured Fitipaldo:
    http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/bas...e-uruguay.html

VEN down to 15. With 10 guys from their 2015 AmeriCup team.
    http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...-to-15-players

Brazil cuts to 14
    http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...-to-14-players

Chile cuts to 14
    http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...le#|tab=roster

Not a peep from Canada yet. Nothing in the media either.

VEN down to 15. With 10 guys from their 2015 AmeriCup team.
    http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...-to-15-players

Brazil cuts to 14
    http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...-to-14-players

Chile cuts to 14
    http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...le#|tab=roster

Not a peep from Canada yet. Nothing in the media either.
    It is incredible how few people every understood the FIBA qualification system before,
    now?

No one.

I've told people about it, with the games taking place in two weeks, and it is just disbelief. People think I'm joking or just talking out of my ass. What a silly new system

The Halifax Rainmen vs. The Bahama's domestic league in a battle for global supremacy.

FIBA could've had teams play in their countries without copying the FIFA system. This is their big power move and we'll see how long they even stick with it. International basketball has never mattered in the least to North America. What happens when a major European power gets upset over this? What about, Slovenia for example, they can go win Eurobasket but can they even qualify for Worlds without their NBA and Euroleague stars?

Rant over......
    We The North

Quote Originally Posted by locdogjr View Post
    It is incredible how few people every understood the FIBA qualification system before,
    now?

No one.

I've told people about it, with the games taking place in two weeks, and it is just disbelief. People think I'm joking or just talking out of my ass. What a silly new system

The Halifax Rainmen vs. The Bahama's domestic league in a battle for global supremacy.

FIBA could've had teams play in their countries without copying the FIFA system. This is their big power move and we'll see how long they even stick with it. International basketball has never mattered in the least to North America. What happens when a major European power gets upset over this? What about, Slovenia for example, they can go win Eurobasket but can they even qualify for Worlds without their NBA and Euroleague stars?

Rant over......
    I still don't get why they didn't have the windows from July through say September. 6 games spread over 3 months is hardly going to wear people out, and while you may not have gotten everyone's A team you would have gotten at least a few B squads.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Bahamas news:

"Out of the 24 players who have listed to participate, 18 of them have consented to come home and compete on the team," Bowleg said. "So our coaching staff is confident that out of that list, we will be able to field one of the best teams ever assembled to represent the country. A lot of the players are eager to come home and try out for the team."

Players who are expected to compete for their spot on the team are Mark Saint Fort, David Nesbitt, Abel Joseph, Jonathan Augustin-Fairell, Eugene Bain, Michael Carey, Livingstone Munnings, Robert Nortman, Juraun Kino Burrows, Torrington Cox, Michael Bain, Craig Smith Jr, Darshtyn Baker, Lynden Rose Jr, Jackson Jacob, Shaquille Cleare and Shavaro Cooper.
    http://www.tribune242.com/news/2017/...-out-for-team/

Marc Stein is starting to drop Tweets on the USA roster. Maybe look for an official announcement later in the day but it is looking something like this:

PG: Semaj Christon / Xavier Munford / Larry Drew II
    SG: Donald Sloan / Markel Brown
    SF: Elijah Millsap
    PF: Amile Jefferson / Travis Wear / Jameel Warney
    C: Kennedy Meeks

Pretty small team, but most have at least a little bit of NBA experience.

Exclamation

This seems to be the composition of the Canadian team that will play the Bahamas in Halifax on November 24th:

Canadian Men's Basketball Team

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    This seems to be the composition of the Canadian team that will play the Bahamas in Halifax on November 24th:

Canadian Men's Basketball Team

No this is incorrect - This is the AmeriCup team from the summer.
    At the very least Cadougan and Diressa will not be playing due to injuries (thankfully).

I expect the most if the core of this team in XRM, Hanlan, Pierre, Heslip and Anthony to be on the team but after that, it is anyone guess.

Look for some decent additions from a group that includes Bennett, the Scrubb Bros, Ejim, Birch and other G-Leaguers (Long, Mulder, Best) and international pros (Trasolini, Klassen, Sacre, Bhullar, Landry, Kris Joseph)

Marc Stein tweeting some players on the US roster, also comfirms that players on two-way contracts are not eligible:

Marc Stein‏Verified account
    @TheSteinLine
    12 hours ago
    Team USA will be coached by @espn analyst Jeff Van Gundy but cannot have any NBA players -- or even two-way contract players -- on the 12-man roster

@TheSteinLine
    12 hours ago
    League sources say Markel Brown (@okcblue), Travis Wear (@SouthBayLakers), Kennedy Meeks (@Raptors905), Larry Drew (@SFSkyforce) and current free agent Semaj Christon have also made the @usabasketball World Cup qualifying roster

Marc Stein Retweeted
    Chris Reichert‏
    @Chris_Reichert
    12 hours ago
    Hearing that Windy City Bulls forward Jarell Eddie will be on Team USA’s 12-man roster for FIBA World Cup qualifying roster, per league sources #GLeague

@TheSteinLine
    13 hours ago
    Another name, per league sources, for Jeff Van Gundy's 12-man @usabasketball @FIBAWC qualifying squad: Xavier Munford (@WisconsinHerd)

@TheSteinLine
    13 hours ago
    The full 12-man @usabasketball squad that will face Puerto Rico in Orlando on Thanksgiving and Mexico in Greensboro, N.C., on Nov. 26 will be announced this week

@TheSteinLine
    13 hours ago
    League sources say @nbagleague stars Elijah Millsap and Amile Jefferson (@iawolves) as well as Donald Sloan and Jameel Warney (@texaslegends) have earned spots on Jeff Van Gundy's 12-man Team USA roster

Exclamation

No this is incorrect - This is the AmeriCup team from the summer.
    At the very least Cadougan and Diressa will not be playing due to injuries (thankfully).

I expect the most if the core of this team in XRM, Hanlan, Pierre, Heslip and Anthony to be on the team but after that, it is anyone guess.

Look for some decent additions from a group that includes Bennett, the Scrubb Bros, Ejim, Birch and other G-Leaguers (Long, Mulder, Best) and international pros (Trasolini, Klassen, Sacre, Bhullar, Landry, Kris Joseph)
    What the hell? Today is the 14th! The first game is in only ten days time.

Is there a basketball federation in the world that's sloppier and slower in getting its act together than Basketball Canada? Is Team Canada going to consist of the first twelve people that show up for the game in Halifax?

Canada's preliminary list of 24:
    http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/slug-9cc3j2

Pretty much the list that was on the FIBA site but with a couple extra players.

A little late to be announcing the preliminary list, surely they know the 12-man roster by now? Airplane tickets have to be purchased at some point.

Canada's preliminary list of 24:
    http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/slug-9cc3j2

Pretty much the list that was on the FIBA site but with a couple extra players.

A little late to be announcing the preliminary list, surely they know the 12-man roster by now? Airplane tickets have to be purchased at some point.
    Good call on spotting the list earlier - this is pretty much what you said. I few of us have been harassing BBall Canada through emails and Twitter, so this might be to just placate us. I am sure they have an idea of the 12 man roster by now.

Overall I generally think this is a big improvement on the AmeriCup team and one that I think should be good enough to qualify if there is any sense of chemistry and decent coaching.
    Of course this is the 24 man list - It will be interesting if any bigger names fall out for the 12 man roster.

Losing Nicholson hurts - but adding Bennett, both Scrubbs, and Ejim more than make up for it.

Khem Birch I now think was unavailable because he has an NBA contract and we now know (per Stein) Boucher (two-way contract) won't play when healthy either.

I think if Bennett can effectively play center in the G and has been our starting center in the PanAm games - he will be our starting C here. I think our Cs were Bennett and Bhullar at the PanAms?

Bhullar is a real wild card here and could provide some terrible mismatches for our opponents over short stretches. I hope he makes the final 12 and they figure out how to use him.

We had no depth up front at the AmeriCup but now with Trasolini and Klassen - two very under rated pros, we should be ok up front. Trasolini is probably a better player than Sacre right now if you ask me. Go look at their J-League stats.

I am very happy with the guards. I think Hanlan and XRM can be very effective here, but still worry about their youth and inconsistency. It seemed in the small sample size of the AmeriCup that one would have a great game and the other would disappear. Having Scrubb and Heslip there and much more depth upfront lessens the risk we'd face if they both had off games.

Kris Joseph is a big and surprising name, but I'd keep expectations low. He fills a weakness we have at SF (he might be our only true SF), but he has been a bit role player the last few years on average European teams. Good to see him back in the fold though and hopefully he surprises.

Still no real go-to scorers among the forwards, but allot of guys now that can do a little of everything. Maybe Bennett, Ejim, T. Scrubb, Pierre, Trasolini can all score by committee with the guards doing the heaving lifting.

Still allot of flak on the list that I hope we don't need to use (Kendall, Keane, Notice, Glaze, Ward, Friesen, Olashu, Best) but even then most of them can fill a roll in limited minutes.

Adika Peter-McNeilly is an interesting names and good to see here - he is having a great rookie season in Europe and is someone to watch. I don't know much about him.

My preferred 12 man line up:

Guards:
    Phil Scrubb /XRM/ Hanlan / Heslip / Anderson

Forwards:
    Ejim / T. Scrubb / Pierre / Joseph

Bigs:
    Bennett / Bhullar / Trasolini

However I think Joel Anthony sneaks in there as a long term vet.

5 man starting line up? I'd go:
    XRM
    Hanlan
    T. Scrubb
    Ejim
    Bennett

Hanlan and XRM both combo guards start at the 1/2 for consistency from the AmeriCup with Scrubb as the main guard off the bench. I'd heat check Heslip but limit his minutes drastically if he is not feeling it early.

I'd like T. Scrubb at the Olympic qualifiers in 2016. Do it all role player - solid defender. Hopefully there is some chemistry with Ejim from 2016 as well.

I like Pierre and Trasolini as the main forwards off the bench. And I'd like to see Bhullar get minutes - but I have no idea how they properly use him or even if he is remotely in shape.

I am fairly happy here considering the AmeriCup roster and knowing that AmeriCup was actually pretty decent (just had no prep time).

I am sure they have an idea of the 12 man roster by now.
    You are? On what basis? Basketball Canada looks to me to have been nothing but sloppy to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat View Post
    You are? On what basis? Basketball Canada looks to me to have been nothing but sloppy to this point.

Well I am one of their biggest critics, but to play devils advocate....
    This posted 24 man list is exactly the same as what JGX posted a week ago - which was posted on the FIBA Americas site as Canada's roster for an hour or two before it was taken down. That tells me that Canada had submitted this 24 man roster by the supposed deadline of Nov 6. but asked FIBA not to post it as they were not ready to make it public. Why? Who knows...for all we know it may be for competitive reasons as they don't want opponent time to prepare or scout tape on players. We have been hassling them with emails and Tweets and they may have loosened them up to release the 24 man roster. Perhaps they were just going to to role right into announcing the 12 man roster like the USA. Someone said the 12 man roster should be released later this week (Raptors Republic I think). Canada Basketball's communications may suck - but I don't think they are any less focused than most other countries behind the scene. We are among the most disadvantaged countries in this new process with all our best players in the NBA or Europe. The guys in Europe have a long way to go and communications with their clubs on their availability was/is likely strained. Countries like Mexico, Venezuela, PR and even ARG and BRA have most of their players in their domestic leagues, where it is much easier to communicate and pressure to release guys.

I can be quite critical of Basketball Canada but if this 24 man list is real and we expect to have the best 12 guys from this list - I think it is a good accomplishment by Team Canada putting together a very strong pool of players considering who is available (no NBA, No Euroleague, No G-League two way contracts).

Tell me who is missing from that 24 man pool that should (or can be there). Nicholson is the obvious one, but Chinese clubs have been spotty releasing guys. Sacre? Trasolini is probably better. Birch? Not available due to NBA contract. Bachynski or Boucher? Hurt. Maybe Long or Mulder in the G, or maybe Edwards but are they better than XRM / Hanlan / Scrubb / Heslip? (No, I say). Landry maybe? But he is not better than Klassen or Trasolini.

This is a pretty good list (maybe great) considering the situation.

US officially named their roster:
    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...q-players.aspx

Only four players from the AmeriCup roster, but Warney/Munford/Hearn were probably the best players on that team. Hilliard and CJ Williams are both on two-way contracts so unavailable. A little surprised that they would go with two rookies in Jefferson and Meeks.

I predict a couple NBLC or free agent players on the Canadian roster. At a minimum someone has to be the 11th and 12th man, is it really worth flying someone in from Europe or the Far East to sit on the bench for two games?

For the Americans...looks like all the Americas and European qualifiers will be available for streaming on ESPN3/WatchESPN.
    Last edited by JGX; 11-15-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Tell me who is missing from that 24 man pool that should (or can be there).
    I have no problem with the composition of the 24 man pool. My problem with Basketball Canada is twofold:

1. Basketball Canada derives a healthy portion of its funding from the government of Canada, i.e. the taxpayer. More than the barest minimum of communication with us the taxpayer is the least we should expect from the organization in return.

2. There's a game in Halifax on the 24th. A decent crowd would be nice to see, partially because it would raise funds for Basketball Canada thus helping to allay the need for taxpayer funding. Publicity would help draw a crowd. For Basketball Canada to have been more forthcoming about the content of the team and the background of the players would have been useful in this regard.

Last edited by Hepcat; 11-16-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Dominican Republic narrows their list to 14:
    http://www.basketdominicano.com/rd-r...imera-ventana/

Los armadores Gelvis Solano, Adris de León y Ronald Ramón, así como los tiradores Víctor Liz, Rigoberto Mendoza y Gerardo Suero, continúan en los planes de la Selección Nacional. Los delanteros Dagoberto Peña, Sadiel Rojas, M.J. Rhett, Edward Santana, Robert Glenn y Eulis Báez, además de los centros Eloy Vargas y Jonathan Araujo completan la preselección tricolor.
    Lorenzo Mata getting impatient for Mexico to name their team:
    https://twitter.com/RealMataLo14/sta...51203084304384
    Last edited by JGX; 11-16-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Canada announces final 12 man roster.
    http://www.fiba.basketball/basketbal...cas-qualifiers

Joel Anthony
    Centre
    6'9"
    Montreal, QC
    Free Agent

Anthony Bennett
    Forward
    6'8"
    Toronto, ON
    Northern Arizona Suns (G-League)

Grandy Glaze
    Centre
    6'7"
    Toronto, ON
    St. John's Edge (NBL of Can)

Olivier Hanlan
    Guard
    6'4"
    Aylmer, QC
    Austin Spurs (G-League)

Brady Heslip
    Guard
    6'2"
    Burlington, ON
    Trabzonspor (Turkey)

Kaza Kajami-Keane
    Guard
    6'1"
    Ajax, ON
    Raptors 905 (G-League)

Owen Klassen
    Centre
    6'10"
    Kingston, ON
    PAOK (Greece)

Dyshawn Pierre
    Forward
    6'6"
    Whitby, ON
    Banco di Srd (Italy)

Xavier Rathan-Mayes
    Guard
    6'4"
    Scarborough, ON
    Westchester Knicks (G-League)

Phil Scrubb
    Guard
    6'3"
    Richmond, B.C.
    Fraport SKY (Germany)

Thomas Scrubb
    Forward
    6'6"
    Richmond, B.C.
    Scandone AV (Italy)

Marc Trasolini
    Centre
    6'9"
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Hokkaido L. (Japan)

Our best players seem to be XRM, P. Scrubb, Hanlan, and Bennett.
    Then Heslip, Pierre, T. Scrubb, Trasolini and Klassen after that.

That is likely the bulk of the rotation and I can see us utilizing a good number of small ball lineups and pushing the pace.

Not bad all things considered. Melvin Ejim is the big loss for the 24 man pool - he is on a EuroCup team, so maybe that influenced his decision.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast