This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dtown View Post
    the good news about those road games is they happen during the season, so weakened rosters.

Mexico/Puerto Rico was close to the FIBA ideal. Great crowd, two teams that were fairly close to their A listers, close game and some intensity. Too bad they can't all be like that.
    I was at the PR vs Cuba game and the atmosphere was amazing. Last time I saw the PR NT was in the 2003 Tournament of the Americas at the same venue.
    Had a ticket for the PR vs MEX game but sold it since I couldn't find more tickets for my family, it was sold out! Everyone in the island was excited about the game and everyone was talking about it the day after.

Comment

• Originally posted by R1ou View Post
      That most probably Venezuela will qualify.
      Exactly.

That's awesome, MottoMonku! Exactly what the sport needs.

Comment

• USA-Uruguay at Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas:
        Originally posted by Fedfan
        Most ppl get childish when they lose.
        Originally posted by GuTO
        refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Originally posted by JGX View Post
          USA-Uruguay at Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas:
          https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...egas-site.aspx
          Vegas is a favorite venue for USA Basketball, but I thought Santa Cruz was an excellent host for both the Cuba and PR games (albeit pro-PR crowd). I would prefer keeping the home games in smaller markets. Portland, ME, Providence, RI, Albuquerque, MN or Dayton, OH would've been my choices.
          Last edited by Federoy; 07-17-2018, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• Brazil announced its 13 man preliminary roster for upcoming games vs Canada and USVi.

Similar to their prior teams. Barbosa and Lima would be the main adds. Seems to be missing most of their current NBA talent. My bet is that has to do with paying insurance.
            SAO PABLO (FIBA Basketball World Cup 2019 Americas Qualifiers) - Brazil National Team coach Aleksandar Petrovic announced his 13-player preliminary list for Brazil's match-ups against Canada and the...

Comment

• Panama named a 16-man squad for their games against Puerto Rico and the US:

1. Trevor Gaskins
              2. Carlos Javier Rodríguez
              3. Eugenio Luzcando Bocaz
              4. Joel Muñoz
              5. Iverson Molinar
              6. Daniel Girón
              7. Michael Hicks
              8. Tony Bishop
              9. Alejandro Grant
              10. Ernesto Oglivie
              11. Jamaal Levy
              12. Akil Mitchell
              13. Javier Carter
              14. Josimar Ayarza
              15. Jonathan Salazar
              16. Leonardo Pomare
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Nothing official yet but early media reports are saying Canada should have a similar team to what we had in July - likely minus RJ Barrett but adding Tristan Thompson.

The more impact names from that group would be:
                Kelly Olynyk
                Cory Joseph,
                Dwight Powell
                Dillon Brooks
                Khem Birch
                Tristan Thompson
                Phil Scrubb
                Anthony Bennett
                Melvin Ejim
                Brady Heslip

Sounds like no Jamal Murray, Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas, Trey Lyles, Shai Gilgeous Alexander

But no insight yet on Tyler Ennis, Kevin Pangos, Xavier Rathan Mayes, Naz Mitrou Long, Chris Boucher, Kyle Wiltjer, Aarron Doornekamp. Any of those would be fairly helpful additions.

Andrew Wiggins is really digging himself a hole with Team Canada and Canadian bball fans. Especially with the next wave of great young guards/wings coming in, pretty soon I can see a case for just telling him to piss off. Add in Shai Gilgeous Alexander, RJ Barrett, Nickeil Alexander Walker and a few others into the mix with the next 2-3 years and Wiggins really wont be missed (Nik Stauskas too for that matter).

Comment

• US training camp roster. Includes several players who played in the NBA last year, although none of them are very good:

Returning to contend for a USA roster spot after previously playing with USA World Cup Qualifying Teams are guard Reggie Hearn (Grand Rapids Drive) and center Jameel Warney (Texas Legends).

Rounding out the U.S. training camp roster are Bryce Alford (Oklahoma City Blue); Dwayne Bacon (Charlottw Hornets); V.J. Beachem (Free Agent); Jordan Crawford (New Orleans Pelicans); Henry Ellenson (Detroit Pistons); Isaiah Hicks (New York Knicks); Dakari Johnson (Free Agent); Frank Mason III (Sacramento Kings); Ben Moore (Fort Wayne Mad Ants); Chasson Randle (Capital City Go-Go); Travis Trice (Milwaukee Bucks); and Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs).

Comment

• Big win for Canada over Brazil to go to 6-1. Allows them to keep pace with Venezuela who's also 6-1, with Brazil at a respectable 5-2.
                    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Big win for Canada over Brazil to go to 6-1. Allows them to keep pace with Venezuela who's also 6-1, with Brazil at a respectable 5-2.
                      Brazil rides on the same old horses. Seems like one of the NT that will be weaker in the nearest future, in the same path as Argentina.

And how Canada managed to perform so poorly so far? Seems like they stuck with their way becoming international powerhouse. Bennet became a bust. Wiggins has issues with NT, right? I guess now the biggest hope Barret? Still plenty of NBA material, plenty prospects, but the feeling is that Canada just can't put it all together...
                      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                      Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                        Brazil rides on the same old horses. Seems like one of the NT that will be weaker in the nearest future, in the same path as Argentina.

And how Canada managed to perform so poorly so far? Seems like they stuck with their way becoming international powerhouse. Bennet became a bust. Wiggins has issues with NT, right? I guess now the biggest hope Barret? Still plenty of NBA material, plenty prospects, but the feeling is that Canada just can't put it all together...
                        To my knowledge it's a combination of choking (they should have qualified out of the Americas in 2015), talent not developing like they thought, and talent being non committal (Wiggins)

That said they're in a good spot right now. A win vs Chile next and they're well positioned to qualify. The key, I believe, for the World Cup will be selling it as qualification for the 2020 Olympics for their non commitals. They have the talent to be really good it's just a matter of actually applying it.

Comment

To my knowledge it's a combination of choking (they should have qualified out of the Americas in 2015), talent not developing like they thought, and talent being non committal (Wiggins)

That said they're in a good spot right now. A win vs Chile next and they're well positioned to qualify. The key, I believe, for the World Cup will be selling it as qualification for the 2020 Olympics for their non commitals. They have the talent to be really good it's just a matter of actually applying it.

It's that and more...
                          First it is not like there has been many opportunities to play over the last few years, but let's start with 2015 FIBA Americas as really our supposed coming out party. It was a team stacked with supposed big NBA names at the time (Wiggins, Bennett, Stauskas - all high draft picks) along with Cory Joseph, Kelly Olynyk and an undeveloped Dwight Powell. We ran through opponents by an average margin off +20 per game. But then the semi vs VEN everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Yes we choked but it was one game were anything can happen - it sure didnt help that multiple guys were mysteriously food poisoned (in Mexico) and spent the prior two days in the hospital, VEN played fantastic hit end of the clock threes over and over, the Latin American refs clearly were favoring VEN and we were a very, very young team. It happened, life goes on - but I think it left a sour taste in many people's mouths. Wiggins and Nik Stuaskas have not suited up for Canada since. But we have always had trouble getting guys to play for a variety of reasons and that problem continues.

Canada Basketball hast historically been run poorly (we just hired Glen Grunwald this week as president - Bryan Colangelo may be assisting him so that is great news). We never have had elite international coaching - we always seem to insist on a Canadian coach putting us at a disadvantage. We have also never had a full-time coach. We have run through three different head coaches already in 2018 - another serious handicap. Further Canada is a hockey mad nation, making it difficult to get fan and media attention for the basketball NT. That doesn't help with participation - there seems to be too many guys like Wiggins who are indifferent about playing for the NT and the media and fans don;t hold them accountable. Something you likely wouldn't see in Lithuania, Serbia, Greece etc.

After 2015 FIBA Americas we really only played the 2016 Manila qualifiers and lost to a strong French team in the final (beating NZ, Turkey, Senegal along the way). It was not a strong Canadian team (participation issue again) and with only a few of our NBA players (Joseph, Tyler Ennis, Tristan Thompson) this was to be expected.

The qualifiers have been very difficult to manage for Canada - pulling guys from all over the world, very different teams each window, different coaches each window. Yet we are 6-1 with a +161 point differential. This seems a testament to things turning the right direction in my option. We have depth of talent all over the world (lots of guys in top European and Asian leagues) and are getting by fairly well so far in these Qualifiers without anywhere near our best talent.

I expect good things going forward - especially if Grunwald and Colangelo can make a difference. We have so much young talent (Jamal Murray, RJ Barrett, Dillon Brooks, Shai Gilgeous Alexander - and another 5-7 possible 1st round NBA picks over the next 2 years) and some great veteran leaders now in their prime (Cory Joseph, Kelly Olynyk, Tristan Thompson) - even if we continue to miss guys like Wiggins, Stauskas, Trey Lyles I am not sure we'd be much of a disadvantaged if we had the key vets and enough young talent on board.

The talent is there - the structural issues with poor NBA participation, media attention, poor management and coaching are still there but they seem to be moving in the right direction.

Guys missing from yesterdays game that seem very interested in Team Canada include RJ Barrett (at the game, Dad's the GM), Dillon Brooks, Dwight Powell, Jamal Murray, Shai Gilgeous Alexnder, Tyler Ennis - all seem engaged in some way or another (eg Tweeting about the game and results - telling the media they want to play).
                          Wiggins, Stuaksas, Trey Lyles - don't show any signs - and I don't expect them next year if we qualify. But you never know.
                          Last edited by mojo13; 09-14-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Venezuela Follows with Firm Step the Way to the World China 2019.

Yesterday Venezuela played its encounter against Virgin Islands, the Vinotinto selection began its encounter somewhat tenuous but dominating the first 2 quarters, in the third quarter Venezuela elevated its game and began to find efficiently the perimeter building a solid advantage of 20 Pts. With a 25-14 partial in that quarter.

In general the selection of Venezuela was balanced in offense and it was evident that some players still need to take rhythm, have to improve in the free throws and must be more forceful Vs Dominicana.

Good triumph for Venezuela that allows them to continue taking the right steps towards the World Cup in China 2019.

Comment

• What a difference a window makes. Team USA looking vastly better than last window, and given that most of this roster either played in the nba or has contracts with teams it's not that surprising.

28-8 USA after 1

56-24 USA after 2 *sigh I wish we could have this team next window...*

In the meantime Argentina survives a nasty scare and Mexico loses in heartbreaking fashion. 78-74

USA wins by a damn Dream Team score 114 - 57.

This is easily the first time during the world cup qualification when I've had no complaints. This result means the US NBDL team that follows will have to miraculously shit the bed not to have a tie breaker over Uruguay.

If this squad can secure a win over Panama, then they'll likely only need to go 1-3 the rest of the way to qualify.
                              Last edited by Dtown; 09-15-2018, 03:51 AM.

Comment

• Uruguay left some of their starters at home...I guess they are playing for fourth place. 57-point win will lock up the head-to-head tiebreaker if that becomes an issue.

Argentina win is a great result for the US.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information