This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dtown View Post
    The big thing with this game vs. some of others was the absolute god awful start. Mexico went off on a 20-0 run to start the game, under FIBA and the quicker games, that's an absolute monster of a deficit to overcome. Factor in raucous crowd and the game was almost won in the first few minutes.
    Even with a G-League roster, being down 0-20 should never happen. They've already made it to the next round, so qualifying is not the concern...but it bothers me that this team, who've been practicing and playing together for at least the last two stages, can't play better team ball. It says some unflattering things about this team: how the team is constructed, poor basketball IQ of some players, did they take the competition seriously enough, or perhaps Van Gundy's rotations weren't great... The U-18 team two weeks ago played brilliantly from a team perspective (they could've just out-athleticized everyone and still won, but they played together to get results), so it begs the question: why can't grown professionals play at the same level?

Comment

• I feel this team definitely needed a warm up game, it was clear they got better as the game went on, but were utterly unprepared for a motivated Mexico to start.

It's a lesson they'll have to remember when they inevitably take trips to Argentina and Uruguay.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dtown View Post
        I feel this team definitely needed a warm up game, it was clear they got better as the game went on, but were utterly unprepared for a motivated Mexico to start.

It's a lesson they'll have to remember when they inevitably take trips to Argentina and Uruguay.
        I guess they played a scrimmage against the Dominican Rep., but they looked equally as terrible in their game against Canada, so apparently neither team benefitted. The points you made were spot on; getting down by 20 in the faster FIBA games is like instant defeat. They need to play 1000% better against Argentina and Uruguay on the road (and at home), or they'll be taking some Ls.

Comment

• Well what do you expect when they keep selecting point guards who have never at any level showed they care about winning or playing the right way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Federoy View Post
            I guess they played a scrimmage against the Dominican Rep., but they looked equally as terrible in their game against Canada, so apparently neither team benefitted. The points you made were spot on; getting down by 20 in the faster FIBA games is like instant defeat. They need to play 1000% better against Argentina and Uruguay on the road (and at home), or they'll be taking some Ls.
            Personally I've already mentally chalked @Argentina and @Uruguay as losses. Now this doesn't fully matter so long as they beat Cuba and defend their home court, but it's the nature of the beast so long as we're sending G leaguers.

Comment

• Brazil lost to Venezuela on Friday and Canada absolutely beat down on the Dominican Republic.

Comment

• US up 13 at halftime, I'd complain about this group, but it's hard to get mad if they win since they can be replaced in September.

US wins comfortably to go to 5-1 and top their group.

Puerto Rico - Mexico

and

Argentina - Uruguay

should be worthwhile
                Last edited by Dtown; 07-01-2018, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Great crowd for this PR-Mexico game. Mexico killing themselves at the line late. Eddie Casiano does a lot of coaching in English.

If I'm understanding the schedule correctly, the US has these games in the second round:

Sep 14: Uruguay
                  Sep 17: at Panama
                  Nov 29: at Argentina
                  Dec 2: at Uruguay
                  Feb 22: Panama
                  Feb 25: Argentina

Three out of the first four on the road will certainly put them under some pressure. Uruguay and Panama are weaker than Puerto Rico and Mexico, so they should be okay, but it just takes one bad loss to change things.
                  Originally posted by Fedfan
                  Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                  Originally posted by GuTO
                  refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Originally posted by JGX View Post
                    Great crowd for this PR-Mexico game. Mexico killing themselves at the line late. Eddie Casiano does a lot of coaching in English.

If I'm understanding the schedule correctly, the US has these games in the second round:

Three out of the first four on the road will certainly put them under some pressure.
                    the good news about those road games is they happen during the season, so weakened rosters.

Mexico/Puerto Rico was close to the FIBA ideal. Great crowd, two teams that were fairly close to their A listers, close game and some intensity. Too bad they can't all be like that.

Comment

• DR came back from 77-66 down with 3:15 left to take an 80-79 lead against the Bahamas, but the Bahamas answered with four straight points and didn't quite have enough time to blow it again, winning 83-82. Huge loss for the Dominicans.
                      Originally posted by Fedfan
                      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                      Originally posted by GuTO
                      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Originally posted by JGX View Post
                        Great crowd for this PR-Mexico game. Mexico killing themselves at the line late. Eddie Casiano does a lot of coaching in English.

Three out of the first four on the road will certainly put them under some pressure. Uruguay and Panama are weaker than Puerto Rico and Mexico, so they should be okay, but it just takes one bad loss to change things.
                        With the records carrying over into the 2nd round, the US is definitely in the driver's seat to qualify. I think the US was in the toughest bracket of the four during the 1st round, and we lucked out by playing a now-resurgent PR in Orlando (A pro-PR, but still). Argentina without question will be the US's toughest road game in the next round, but even with a loss, the US is almost assured a birth given how weak Panama and Uruguay are compared to Mexico and Puerto Rico. My question is, who will be the seventh team to represent the Americas? The US, Canada, Puerto Rico are sitting the prettiest, but if I'm Argentina, especially since some of their stars will be missing during the December and February window, they could be in serious trouble...road games at Puerto Rico, Mexico and the US could test their qualification even though I expect them to make it. Brazil, Venezuela and Dominican Rep. are on equal footing...they could easily qualify or easily not. Mexico has an outside chance, but given their 3-3 record, they've got some work to do...if they can get road wins over Uruguay and Panama, and sweep their home series, that would put them at 8-4; that should be enough to put them through, esp. if Brazil, Venezuela or DR falter. Uruguay has the toughest road to qualify of potential qualifiers. They'd need to go 8-4 to put themselves in a good position...I'm not sure if 7-5 will be enough given how their opponents in Group F have less mind fields to walk through. Unless major upsets occur, anyone at 6-6 has a death mark.

Comment

• The teams for the 2nd round on the way to the World Cup China 2019 have been defined.

Venezuela with a great defense beats Brazil by more than 16 points and then Chile by 19 points leads their group, also Argentina with 2 solid victories these teams qualify as top in their respective groups.

This second round will be interesting because it will raise the level.

Comment

• I'm just glad Mexico made it through. I knew they could.

It would be crazy if these lesser basketball NTs like Uruguay made it to the WC. I'd say Venezuela is a lock though at this point. DR on the other hand is in trouble but at least they're only a game back.

Comment

• Originally posted by CHBB View Post
                              I'm just glad Mexico made it through. I knew they could.

It would be crazy if these lesser basketball NTs like Uruguay made it to the WC. I'd say Venezuela is a lock though at this point. DR on the other hand is in trouble but at least they're only a game back.
                              What do you mean, Venezuela's blocked at the moment?

Comment

• Originally posted by Arsonist View Post
                                What do you mean, Venezuela's blocked at the moment?
                                That most probably Venezuela will qualify.
                                1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information