Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 261 to 269 of 269

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - AMERICAs

  1. #261
    Senior Member Federoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,386
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Took everything that Uruguay and FIBA rules and regulations had to throw at us and somehow transformed into a different team in the final five minutes and won anyway.

    RIP Panama
    The NBA, Euroleague, and other top flight leagues are happy with this process. Most of the top tier talent gets four years off while the grunts do all the work, which has the unintended consequence of good ball playing countries like Latvia, Slovenia and Croatia being left out since their stars were ineligible to play during most windows. It's a sham. FIBA is actually undermining the sport's growth and development by adopting a FIFA style approach to qualifying. It doesn't work for basketball, and unless FIBA tweaks the system, it'll only be a matter of time before a big name federation like Spain, Lithuania or Russia gets left out because they couldn't field competitive teams...then the shit will really hit the fan.

  2. #262
    Senior Member Federoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,386
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    USA wins 78-70, way more of a headache than it needed to be, but USA qualified for China.

    US were lucky, Uruguay was dynamite from 3 but shit inside the perimeter.

    Now to sit back and let other people/teams/countries stress out.
    I didn't see the game, but I was definitely worried a bit because we were trailing for most of it, and judging by the score, it doesn't appear we were playing at our tempo. The point you made about playing in Latin America on the road is solid. Their gyms appear to be smaller with no buffer between the players and crowd; like a HS gym, they're right on top of you. I'm sure it's extremely loud and intimidating, so I give our players credit for entering that arena and coming out with a victory.

  3. #263
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    43
    Country: Venezuela

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    I can’t think of a team better advantaged by this awful qualification system than Venezuela. It must be nice to be able to floor the best team possible during these in season windows not to mention to have guys together for weeks of practice that have been playing together for years. Was the entire Venezuela team made up of domestic league players?(except 1 I think). Instead most teams are cobbling together a patchwork of players from all over the world and getting two days of practice together. No Canadian fan expected a road win the other night considering the circumstances. And I would not call this a rivalry. It is more of reminder of the ridiculousness of FIBA to most.

    Anyways - congratulations and good luck in the World Cup and I hope Venezuela represents the America’s well for once. Let’s see if Venezuela can stay within 30 points of any half decent basketball nation fielding anything close to their “A” team. Hopefully it is not another awful embarrassing showing like the Olympics.
    The truth is I don't agree at all with you, when you think without knowing what happens these things happen, because Venezuela has been favored more than the other teams? And for you to understand better you have no idea of the problems that exist in Venezuela in fact half of the national team was not playing in any league because there was a problem for them to play in South American league and remain active, and in the country in these monents has not started the professional league and that's another story, all half of the team was training on its own without playing time and that is necessary to face this type of tournaments.

    The other half of the Venezuelan team if I was playing in South American leagues and only one was playing in Spain, however Canada in this window did not have the NBA but if they had players who are seeing action in the best leagues in Europe, which have a lot of level, then I do not understand why you say Venezuela has been favored?

    Also the players only had a week in Venezuela to meet because they were waiting for those who came from outside to practice as a team, the truth is I do not understand which is the advantage you mean?

    Remember that Venezuela was champion of FIBA Americas 2015 making a very intelligent game and with a great defense against Canada with all its NBA, in the decisive game that gave the qualification to Venezuela for the Rio Olympics, some Canadians also speculate on whether it was a foul in the last play of that game and I have the proof here, was a very obvious foul, although many want to do the crazy, here is the proof:



    What happened with Venezuela in Rio has a logical explanation the selection of Venezuela had a long time without being at the elite level, but by own merits I arrive and when you see and these again in this type of high-level competition, is more like learning because you are facing the best teams in the world and is not easy task, so it is important to always be competing at this level to grow and develop better the game of a national team.

    I remember also in the tournament in the preolimpico of Portland in 1992 Venezuela played Vs Canada the semifinal and also beat them to face in the final to the only and original Dream Team of USA, so it has not been once if not several victories of Venezuela over Canada, we also beat them in the preolimpico of Mar de Plata in Argentina, but that time was for the 5th place in the tournament.

    I think that in order to speak and give an opinion, you have to have a base and knowledge and not say things just to say them.

    Venezuela has classified because they are workers and they have known how to play the matches so they have a record of 8 - 1.

    In fact, if there weren't so many problems in Venezuela we would have a much higher level in basketball, we would have won much more, so the potential is intact to develop.

  4. #264
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    470
    Country: Canada

    Default

    And Canada qualifying with a semi-surprising blowout of Brazil in Sao Paulo. 94-67. Kyle Wiltjer and the Scrubb brothers leading the way.
    Surprising as it has proved to be quite difficult to win on the road and Brazil seemed decent playing against us in the summer in Canada where we had 4-5 NBA players.

    Turns out we had a major flight delay getting to Venezuela and the guys didn't even get in until hours before the game with little to no sleep. No wonder they looked so much better today.....

  5. #265
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,263
    Country: United States

    Default

    3 spots left, 4 teams left

    Brazil : 7-3 : +99 : @Virgin Islands, @Dominican Republic

    Dominican Republic: 6-4 : +61 : Venezuela, Brazil

    Puerto Rico: 6-4 : +24: Argentina, Uruguay

    Uruguay: 6-4 : -70 : @Mexico, @Puerto Rico
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  6. #266
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,251
    Country: United States

    Default

    Unbelievable finish in the USVI-Venezuela game. USVI playing a real home game for the first time in the tournament, up 76-71 with less than 10 seconds left, Venezuela scores and gets the and one, steals the inbounds pass, scores again and gets fouled again, hits the free throw and wins 77-76. Six points in 1.2 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  7. #267
    Senior Member Federoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,386
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    3 spots left, 4 teams left

    Brazil : 7-3 : +99 : @Virgin Islands, @Dominican Republic

    Dominican Republic: 6-4 : +61 : Venezuela, Brazil

    Puerto Rico: 6-4 : +24: Argentina, Uruguay

    Uruguay: 6-4 : -70 : @Mexico, @Puerto Rico
    That loss to the US in a very winnable game for them will ultimately cost them the third and final spot. They can only hope that Mexico, having already been eliminated, plays a passionless game and Puerto Rico will have qualified by virtue of beating Argentina (and the Dominicans losing to Venezuela) and care nothing of their final contest. However improbable, they have a chance.

  8. #268
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    43
    Country: Venezuela

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    Unbelievable finish in the USVI-Venezuela game. USVI playing a real home game for the first time in the tournament, up 76-71 with less than 10 seconds left, Venezuela scores and gets the and one, steals the inbounds pass, scores again and gets fouled again, hits the free throw and wins 77-76. Six points in 1.2 seconds.

    If really incredible for that reason I like this sport is extremely unpredictable, the islanders were already cooling the drinks and placing Reggae to celebrate they won, but Venezuela told them that no, with that great play, could not lose, here I leave the video of the play:

    https://vimeo.com/304356871

  9. #269
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    470
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsonist View Post
    If really incredible for that reason I like this sport is extremely unpredictable, the islanders were already cooling the drinks and placing Reggae to celebrate they won, but Venezuela told them that no, with that great play, could not lose, here I leave the video of the play:

    https://vimeo.com/304356871
    Canadian Roster for the Final Window Announced:
    https://www.basketball.ca/en/news-ar...ll-world-cup-2

    Joel Anthony
    Centre
    6'10"
    Montreal, QC
    San Lorenzo Basket (Argentina)


    Aaron Best
    Guard
    6'4"
    Scarborough, ON
    Riesen Ludwigsburg (Germany)


    Melvin Ejim
    Forward
    6’7”
    Toronto, ON


    Unics Kazan (Russia)
    Brady Heslip
    Guard
    6'2"
    Burlington, ON
    Istanbul BBSK (Turkey)

    Kaza Kajami-Keane
    Guard
    6'2"
    Ajax, ON
    Landstede Zwolle (Netherlands)


    Kyle Landry
    Centre
    6'10"
    Calgary, AB
    Buducnost (Montenegro)


    Conor Morgan
    Forward
    6’9”
    Victoria, BC
    Divina Seguros Joventut (Spain)


    Mychal Mulder
    Guard
    6'4"
    Windsor, ON
    Windy City Bulls (G League)


    Adika Peter-McNeilly
    Guard
    6’3”
    Toronto, ON
    Mitteldeutscher BC (Germany)


    Phil Scrubb
    Guard
    6’4”
    Richmond, BC
    Zenit Saint Petersburg (Russia)


    Thomas Scrubb
    Forward
    6’7”
    Richmond, BC
    Openjobmetis Varese (Italy)


    Kyle Wiltjer
    Forward
    6’10”
    Portland, OR
    Unicaja Malaga (Spain)


    A fairly similar roster to the December window. Melvin Ejim is the big addition here and is likely the best player on the roster. Mychal Mulder (G-League) is a first time add but probably not a difference maker. And Adika Peter McNeilly (German BBL) is new from December but played in earlier windows. Again, not really a difference maker.

    Top players are Melvin Ejim, Phil Scrubb, Tommy Scrubb, Brady Heslip and Kyle Wiltjer....all who have a decent shot at making the summer WC roster. Although we have 13 odd NBA players....I really only expect 6-8 of them to play this summer.

    I'd think roster rested and playing at home should be favored over Venezuela. The trip to Venezuela in December was a travel disaster and had to have some influence on their lethargic play.


    Arsonist - Let me know your thoughts on the Venezuela roster and how it compare to our match-up last December. I'm curious if VEN is fielding a full squad or giving some younger guys a chance to prove themselves (seems to be the case we a few teams that have already qualified).

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •