Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 282

Thread: 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - AMERICAs

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,452
    Country: United States

    Default 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers - AMERICAs

    I guess this deserves its own thread instead of being mixed in with the AmeriCup stuff. Here is a video describing the draw format for the first stage:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGQZngm8izA

    The South American teams and Panama will be placed in Groups A and B, while the North American/Caribbean teams and Mexico will be placed in Groups C and D.

    Who gets in if Brazil is still suspended? The next-placed team at the South American championships was Bolivia, who are really really bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,498
    Country: United States

    Default

    The draw itself will be held on Sunday 7 AM EST if I'm not mistaken. Though I'm not sure if that's all the draws for the FIBA qualifiers, or if they'll drag it out one region at a time.

    It's really impossible to get a feel for the event itself since it's likely the only teams capable of bringing their A squads will be the dregs of the region. Everyone else is coming with their B, C, or D (league) teams. It makes me wonder on roster restrictions.

    Still with 7 teams making it and potentially no Brazil (why are they suspended anyway?) it's hard not to see the big boys qualifying.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    641
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    The draw itself will be held on Sunday 7 AM EST if I'm not mistaken. Though I'm not sure if that's all the draws for the FIBA qualifiers, or if they'll drag it out one region at a time.

    It's really impossible to get a feel for the event itself since it's likely the only teams capable of bringing their A squads will be the dregs of the region. Everyone else is coming with their B, C, or D (league) teams. It makes me wonder on roster restrictions.

    Still with 7 teams making it and potentially no Brazil (why are they suspended anyway?) it's hard not to see the big boys qualifying.
    FIBA list of the many reasons to suspend Brazil is here:
    http://www.fiba.com/news/fiba-suspen...ian-federation

    The true reason is they never paid their $1-2MM fee to FIBA to purchase their wildcard entry into the 2014 World Cup. FIBA was close to suspending them leading up to the Olympics by the IOC didn't want the politics of the host country not participating.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    FIBA list of the many reasons to suspend Brazil is here:
    http://www.fiba.com/news/fiba-suspen...ian-federation

    The true reason is they never paid their $1-2MM fee to FIBA to purchase their wildcard entry into the 2014 World Cup. FIBA was close to suspending them leading up to the Olympics by the IOC didn't want the politics of the host country not participating.
    Not paying them exposed a number of structural issues. They would have honestly been better off missing the event

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,452
    Country: United States

    Default

    I wonder if they are combining groups A/B and C/D for the second stage, leading to a fully North/South regionalized qualifying tournament, or whether they will combine a north group with a south group (or if they'll have a random draw to decide which groups are combined). For travel and rivalries/interest it's probably better to keep it regionalized in the Americas, but in Asia (where the first stage groups are also regionalized) it would be pretty crazy since the East is much stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,498
    Country: United States

    Default

    Draw's done, and honestly I think the US might have landed in the toughest initial group.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_F..._qualification

    United States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba.

    I imagine Cuba's the odd team out, but I think Puerto Rico and Mexico can create some pretty decent teams sans NBA/Euroleague talent.

    If the Americas stay regional in the second round it means one of United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic is missing the World Cup.

    The South American draw looks much easier.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,608
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post

    If the Americas stay regional in the second round it means one of United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic is missing the World Cup.
    Without looking at rosters and just using history as a guide it appears going in that there are 8 teams for 7 spots.
    USA, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Mexico. If the USA is the one odd team out no matter who's on the team they deserve not to participate in the World Cup. Any combination of D- Leaguers should be able to accomplish this result at a minimum.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,498
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Without looking at rosters and just using history as a guide it appears going in that there are 8 teams for 7 spots.
    USA, Canada, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Mexico. If the USA is the one odd team out no matter who's on the team they deserve not to participate in the World Cup. Any combination of D- Leaguers should be able to accomplish this result at a minimum.
    The thing is given the setup, if they stay regional, it's more like two separate competitions. One for South America and one for North America.

    So it's more like US, Canada, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Mexico competing for 3 guaranteed spots. With Brazil (if they play), Argentina, Venezuela and maybe Uruguay competing for three separate spots.

    Out of those five in North America I think Canada might have the roughest time without access to NBA or College Kids.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,608
    Country: United States

    Default

    Ok I see your point. But in all honesty no matter what the format and considering that all teams will have players missing I would probably make a D league USA team the favorite anyway to win the whole tournament let alone qualify.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    The thing is given the setup, if they stay regional, it's more like two separate competitions. One for South America and one for North America.

    So it's more like US, Canada, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and Mexico competing for 3 guaranteed spots. With Brazil (if they play), Argentina, Venezuela and maybe Uruguay competing for three separate spots.

    Out of those five in North America I think Canada might have the roughest time without access to NBA or College Kids.
    The only way it stays regional is if they redraw for the second set of groups. More likely they seed them based on how they finished in the previous group round.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,452
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Draw's done, and honestly I think the US might have landed in the toughest initial group.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_F..._qualification

    United States, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba.

    I imagine Cuba's the odd team out, but I think Puerto Rico and Mexico can create some pretty decent teams sans NBA/Euroleague talent.

    If the Americas stay regional in the second round it means one of United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic is missing the World Cup.

    The South American draw looks much easier.
    Yeah, the US definitely got the tougher team from the PR/DR and Mexico/USVI groupings. How many Cuban players will defect when they play here?

    Venezuela got a much easier group than Argentina if Brazil doesn't play.

    Schedule with dates:
    http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldc...s/fullschedule

    US opens at Puerto Rico on Thanksgiving, which should draw a television rating of 0.001.
    Last edited by JGX; 05-08-2017 at 12:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,452
    Country: United States

    Default

    BTW the FIBA regulations seem to indicate that groups A/C and B/D get combined for the second stage, so it is not totally regionalized:

    Second Round
    Qualifications for the FIBA Basketball World Cup
    The twelve (12) teams qualified from the the FIBA Basketball World Cup
    Americas Qualifiers shall be divided into two (2) groups of six (6) teams (E,
    F). Each team shall play home and away games against the three (3) new
    teams in its own group (total of six (6) games per team). The results of all
    games played in the First Round are valid for this Round.
    • Group E: 1A, 2A, 3A, 1C, 2C, 3C
    • Group F: 1B, 2B, 3B, 1D, 2D, 3D
    The three (3) best placed teams from each group and the best fourth placed
    team (total of seven (7) teams) shall qualify for the FIBA Basketball World Cup.
    All twelve (12) teams remain in the FIBA AmeriCup Qualifiers for the following
    FIBA AmeriCup Cycle

    With no Brazil groups A/C would certainly be tougher, though it still drops off a lot after the top four of USA/ARG/PUR/MEX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  13. #13
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,498
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JGX View Post
    BTW the FIBA regulations seem to indicate that groups A/C and B/D get combined for the second stage, so it is not totally regionalized:

    Second Round
    Qualifications for the FIBA Basketball World Cup
    The twelve (12) teams qualified from the the FIBA Basketball World Cup
    Americas Qualifiers shall be divided into two (2) groups of six (6) teams (E,
    F). Each team shall play home and away games against the three (3) new
    teams in its own group (total of six (6) games per team). The results of all
    games played in the First Round are valid for this Round.
    • Group E: 1A, 2A, 3A, 1C, 2C, 3C
    • Group F: 1B, 2B, 3B, 1D, 2D, 3D
    The three (3) best placed teams from each group and the best fourth placed
    team (total of seven (7) teams) shall qualify for the FIBA Basketball World Cup.
    All twelve (12) teams remain in the FIBA AmeriCup Qualifiers for the following
    FIBA AmeriCup Cycle

    With no Brazil groups A/C would certainly be tougher, though it still drops off a lot after the top four of USA/ARG/PUR/MEX.
    While I'm happy it's not regional, wow A/C is like on another level difficulty if Brazil's not there.. Even without their NBA talent if Canada can't get through that they're never doing anything.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    641
    Country: Canada

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    While I'm happy it's not regional, wow A/C is like on another level difficulty if Brazil's not there.. Even without their NBA talent if Canada can't get through that they're never doing anything.
    Yes, this is a nice draw to see. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Brazil remains suspended. We have no idea what quality of team Canada can field yet as we really have little to no domestic talent. Even if we are using no EL/EC guys we'd need to drag guys across the world from Europe or Asia to participate, hoping that their club teams will release them.

    You'd think Brazil and Venezuela might have the biggest advantage with their domestic league but both have their own set of serious political/domestic issues. DR doesn't seem to have much depth without their star players. At least Canada theoretically has some depth, with a good amount of decent players tied to the national team in non EL/EC leagues or Asia and even some guys domestic in the D-League.

    Some names off the top of my head that we may be able to pull from include:

    Both Scrubbs (Phil and Thomas), Olivier Hanlan, Melvin Ejim, Doornekamp, Dyshawn Pierre, Daniel Mullins, Andy Rautins, Carl English, Rob Sacre, Sim Bhullar, Jordan Bachynski, Junior Cadugan, Myck Kabongo, Levon Kendall, Jermaine Anderson, Jermaine Bucknor, Kris and Devoe Joseph (I'm throwing out as many names as possible of guys affiliated with the SMNT over the last couple years - the sun has probably set on more than a few of these guys).

    We probably also have access to some guys like Kyle Wiltjer, Brady Heslip, Dylan Brooks, Chris Boucher, Xavier Rathan Maynes depending on where they end up (d-league of foreign leagues). Khem Birch, Anthony Bennett, Kevin Pangos are out the moment being on EL teams.

    This list could change as European teams realign their affiliation again this coming year and guys change teams but it should be Enough to get through the first round at least.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Mojado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Little Tobago
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Mexico will most certainly be without Ayon in the qualifiers. Depending on the availability of Gutierrez, Stoll and Cruz, the team does look good on paper to compete with a D-League team and/or Puerto Rico.
    No idea who will be playing for PR these days, probably a young and ambitioned team without its college players.
    Cuba comes in with a solid squad that needs Justiz in the middle in order to be a factor.
    USVI and Bahamas are two teams that were able to rely heavily on overseas pros and college players that went home for vacations during summer. Now, with college-players probably being off-limits and pro-players need to be jetted in, I think these two countries suffer the most from the new schedule. Bahamas will probably be without DeAndre Ayton, who was their go-to-guy last year and who will be a freshman in Arizona.

    I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

    TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

  16. #16
    Senior Member tres equis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    210
    Country: Puerto Rico

    Default

    Puerto Rico’s Casiano acknowledges the risks of playing well-known rivals in the World Cup Qualifiers
    http://www.fiba.com/basketballworldc...cup-qualifiers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,498
    Country: United States

    Default

    Jeff Van Gundy to coach the US through qualifiers. http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/27/...up-qualifying/
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,452
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    Jeff Van Gundy to coach the US through qualifiers. http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/06/27/...up-qualifying/
    Yay, a guy with no international experience who hasn't coached in a decade. In fairness I suppose there are limited options, since no currently employed coach is going to be able to do this.

    Canada is hosting their opening qualifier against Bahamas in Halifax:
    http://globalnews.ca/news/3548314/ha...all-world-cup/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,452
    Country: United States

    Default

    Official Van Gundy announcement, will coach the AmeriCup team as well:
    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...q-coaches.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,452
    Country: United States

    Default

    US will host Mexico at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex Fieldhouse (next door to the actual Greensboro Coliseum), home of the G-League's Greensboro Swarm.

    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...boro-game.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •