No announcement yet.

Lithuanians in Euroleague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gudaitis had a solid last season and he's looking strong in Milan. After 6 games he's averaging 12,8 pts and has 20,7 Index Rating that is a 3rd result in EL right now. I had some doubts about that because many players haven't done like they could in this team, but he did like never before. Kuzminskas is the opposite case as he's doing the worst in many years but it's not about the team, it's about his bad shape overall.

I would like to see Lekavicius in other team. He can shine sometimes like he did in the last game, but in PAO he's a pure role player and in many matches he's out of the game even if he gets some minutes.

Not EL, but Giedraitis is rolling in Alba and averages 15 pts in Eurocup. Looks like a good decision to go abroad and the right team to go to.

Kalnietis couldn't succeed in Milan (one of those mentioned many players) and moved to France and is doing well in Asvel. He averages 13,5 pts in the same Eurocup and is one of the best passers (6,8 per game).

After a very long bench in Real Maciulis went to Greece and shows he still can play at his 33.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamcatcher View Post
      Gudaitis had a solid last season and he's looking strong in Milan. After 6 games he's averaging 12,8 pts and has 20,7 Index Rating that is a 3rd result in EL right now. I had some doubts about that because many players haven't done like they could in this team, but he did like never before. Kuzminskas is the opposite case as he's doing the worst in many years but it's not about the team, it's about his bad shape overall.
      When he was playing in LKL for Zalgiris 2 I said that one day he will be one of the best Euroleague's bigs. And here you go. With that said, to me he's a super role center. His skill set is very unreliable and you can't go to him directly offensively, but he can be that very useful, hard working, cleaning up the mess center every team wants. He was so good as a backup for JV and Sabonis and struggled as main peace in the next FIBA window. I like him as back-up at C at the moment for the NT.
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

So with the end of 10's, we can summaries that it was really rough decade for Lithuanian EL level wise, specially compared with extremely wealthy 00's when in 2003–04 we had both Sabas and Saras in first All Euroleague Team, 2004–05 both Saras and Macas, 2005–06 D. Lavrinovic in a second AET, 2006–07 Siskauskas in second AET, 2007–08 Siskauskas in first AET and MVP of the season, 2008–09 Siskauskas in a second AET, 2009–10 Kleiza in first AET and Siskauskas in second. (I'm surprised Stombergas never made it)

In 10's, and I count 10's since 2010, we had only 2 appearances in the second All Euroleague Team. That K. Lavrinovic in 2010–11 and Jankunas in 2017–18. Really rough decade. Not a single guard was even close...

Heading to the future I surely hope more Lithuanians making AET than they did in 10's. ATM, Grigonis has most chances to sneak in since he's getting close to his prime. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a second team one day and obviously we have many players with interesting upside who may or may not end up in the NBA, but to have very solid EL careers.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
        Murauskas, Sirvydis
        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Since Saras took over zalgiris in 2016 their signings we can see one thing:

all new players contracts are sign +1 and all of them are in age range between 23-26 old.That age moment in baller pro life were young turns to mature player and having their best seasons were players become ready go to higher level.Zalgiris tries to sign such unknown players around 24 before that happend and can get them cheap.

No more washed up veterans 32+ like old zalgiris management was doing or growing foreigner youngster around 19-21 .They signed rivers just because there were no players avalaible in middle of season,but when in summers they are signing those young, but one leg matured players already 23-25 old range.

Sharas knows well what age players already have a chance winning on highest level and are possible by zalgiris budget.

players age when they signed with Zalgiris:

Vasturia 25,Dimsa 26,Hayes 24,Leday 25,Landale 23,Geben 24,Grigonis 24,Walkup 25 and so on...
          Last edited by Shawshank; 06-08-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I thought you said that players become ready to win something while they are 27/28 or something... Like current JV, Ulanovas, Butkevicius.

BTW, they also had 20yo Lekavicius, 18yo Jokubaitis, they fished 21 or even 20 Kulboka, 19 Blazevic, ect. It's about the talent. It's all up to possibilities. There's plenty of players between 20-22 who Zalgiris would like to grab, but those are tough to grab, so they grab what they can. OK, maybe not plenty, but there are players who could already contribute at this age.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Im taking about those who plays in euroleague for them right away, not those who is bought for cents to play in lkl 15 min per week or are loan to other lkl clubs .

Data shows 24-32 age is most common numbers at highest level, before 23 and after 33+ only with special talent players it works.

Zalgiris surely would love to buy those totally matured pro players 27-30 at their peak,but they are already proven something and are too expensive.So Zalgiris trying to get them at 24 before their breakthrough seasson happend.

Best pro years is surely 27-31, but first maturity starting around 23-24. Before 22 most of them are just clueless raw different talent material,that coaches can't trust playing against top men players on highest level like euroleague or NT top competions.

Zalgiris is smart taking all those 24-25 old young men in good price just before breakthrough season happens with + in contract
              Last edited by Shawshank; 06-08-2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Fair enough. However, mark my words, Jokubaitis will be a consistent rotation member in EL next season, playing around 10-15min.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                  Fair enough. However, mark my words, Jokubaitis will be a consistent rotation member in EL next season, playing around 10-15min.
                  i also hope for that.Sharas was preparing him for that 2 years and this pandemic is on Rokas side.

I want to believe Jokubaitis will be in special tallent players pool.I like that kid.

Mantas got old and hopefully Sharas will manage to grow for NT too high quality,smart pg from 2022 summer.

Comment

Intresting news that Shengeilia goes to CSKA, not confirmed yet though. This could mean bigger opportunity for Sedekerskis.

Comment

Originally posted by Svajunas View Post
                      Intresting news that Shengeilia goes to CSKA, not confirmed yet though. This could mean bigger opportunity for Sedekerskis.
                      I hardly think so. Sedekerskis is seen there as SF more, also on the bench there's freaking Dusko, who would rather play some guys for 40mins than rotate some youngsters. Also you must show some confidence with Dusko, but Sedekerskis is not the most confident guy around. He should get the hell out of there if there's possibility, maybe loaned out again, maybe the same Neptunas or Rytas

Comment

Dusko sees Sedekerskis at 4 - https://www.basketnews.lt/news-13962...-eurolyga.html

Aside what had been said, Baskonia will get huge sum of money as a buy out. They can grab some huge player or players in Sedekerskis CF position. Obviously that guy won't be better than Shengelia (second best PF in Europe after Mirotic), but I wish Sedekerskis to be loaned again. The problem is that Baskonia doesn't give a d...about his future and interests. If they will decide that they will need Sedekerskis at the back of the bench for safety reasons, they will keep him there for the whole season.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Ok if Dusko sees him at 4, then it makes more sense, anyway I still don't trust Dusko using him too much, if any. More likely he will get another injury in tough physical pre-season practice, which Dusko loves the most. If Baskonia will keep Polonara and will add some higher profile PF, he needs to get out of there. He has to play, enough of these bench warming and waiting for the chance

Comment

hopefully our future youngsters will learn from sedekerskis mistakes signing 10 years contract with elite europe team as 15 kid is ridiculous.Similiar story happend with velicka until he comeback home and started showing something.

Those our softer youngsters need to play and get some father type coach in first years that would care about them.Not every liths youngster has Grigonis tough character at that early age to survive anywhere.
                            Last edited by Shawshank; 06-15-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

There are good and bad examples. Grigonis, Kulboka, D.Giedraitis seem to be good examples. Velicka, Sedekerskis bad ones. But I also think that at the early stage of career some LKL experience is better than warming bench at higher level.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

so far only Grigonis is good example,but those long time our nt players would eventually make it work anywhere either way.

kulboka signed with german team as youngster and was thrown all over the teams and never got seriuos chance in bamberg and finally after 4 years run away from his youth team... and choosen team that gave him playing time and we see obviuos first results.At age of 21 its normal to start foreigner career,but NOT as 16 years old kid...

Giedraitis 6games in acb so far means nothing.At such age youngster need to play way more than 6 games per season...

what the hell our federation was doing that let our best tallents born 1998-2000 be used by foreigner agents like that?
                                Last edited by Shawshank; 06-15-2020, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information