Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Lithuanians in Euroleague

Pistons remaining being crazy (they added 3 more players to training camp after the media day, just to avoid uncomfortable questions, while there's no spots in the roster anymore). And irrational story with Sirvydis and Pistons continues as well. I like the comparison with Furkan Korkmaz though. If Sirvydis would stick for couple of really solid G league seasons, I think he would eventually snatch some role in the NBA if he's not a bust.

What makes his continued presence with Detroit perplexing is, there is no result that does not make the Pistons management look bad.

1.If Sirvydis actually makes the Pistons, why was he cut to begin with? You didn’t open up a roster spot, because Sirvydis would still be on the roster.
    2,Even if Sirvydis ends up with the G-League Motor City Cruise, again, what is the point? The G-League is to develop into NBA players. The Pistons have already decided Sirvydis is not a prospect for them. Again, if Sirvydis does look good enough to call up to the Pistons, they look bad for cutting him in the first place.
    3. If Syrvidis is simply released at the end of camp, what was the point of having him return for training camp and summer league? You cut him, so, to quote noted basketball expert Elsa from ‘Frozen’: Let it go.

Thrown into the mix, is the fact that Sirvydis’ agent is Michael Tellen, the son of Pistons vice chairman Arn Tellen. Does it mean anything? Didn’t mean enough to stop Sirvydis from getting released to begin with.

Personally, I thought Sirvydis showed some nice flashes at the end of the season, and I would have kept him on the roster. He is 20-years-old, 6-foot-8 and has a nice shooting touch. Furkan Korkmaz of the 76ers has played in the league for a while with similar skills and size.

https://pistonpowered.com/2021/09/28...idas-sirvydis/
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Marciulionis son will be bust like first Sabonis son

Sedekerskis' career high, 15pts, 22ef. Perfect from the field and finally a win for Baskonia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBG...annel=Baskonia

Nice game from Tadas...Still the most physically imposing and athletic lith player currently - hopefully he's finally turning a corner in his career and will become a complete player for his club and our NT

D-Mo reaching for something special this season, 41.7% FT (5/12)

Sedekerskis tonight was beast on a glass snatching some man's rebounds. He's 23 and in upcoming 3 years still should get even tougher growing to the prime. Fine athlete for Lithuanian standards. However, he needs to be looking for his identity offensively with more urgency, he should be more assertive at O.

Jokubaitis played well. Didn't force anything, played within the system, didn't turn the ball over much. His PF were smart except one. He mainly played at the point and that's very important. If he had hit his open three it would be a really nice game for him, now still decent.

Gudaitis slowly getting in shape, he's still far from 100%, but looked pretty well at times tonight.

Kuz is done. He already lost a stint of athleticism, liability defensively and nothing special offensively. I understand why Pascual is benching him.

Giedraitis is OK, but he needs his 33 minutes to score his 12 points...In the NT again he will be bleak with less PT and freedom.

watched replay of game Barcelona-Zenit

Pascual usually calm coach was very angry at Kuzminskas in 1 half just in 1min of his play.

In defence didnt came to help and offensively just lost the ball and thats was it in that game for Kuz.

I think it repeats over and over again with very soft Kuz play in real men league that is getting to coach nerves watching same story every game he put Kuz in game.

Knowing weak Kuzminskas character and im not sure he gonna finish season with Zenit. Russian club could parts way with mutual agreement with compensation.

In that scenerio Zalgiris could sign him with discount and use Kuz seeing how out of shape SF Ulanovas is and what disaster Cavanaugh is at PF.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 10-24-2021 at 10:32 AM.

In that scenerio Zalgiris could sign him with discount and use Kuz seeing how out of shape SF Ulanovas is and what disaster Cavanaugh is at PF.
    Another soft and bad defensive player for current Zalgiris is not good idea, IMO...If sucks for Zenit, he would suck for Zalgiris too...

After Motiejunas' choke they should be looking back to Saras' era and try to imitate it. They had it all, perfect recipe for such club as Zalgiris, but somehow decided to go completely different way. If Motiejunas has any brains as GM (which I doubt and treat him as pure bureaucrat, really good bureaucrat) they should be looking how to establish new core and it will take time. The tragedy of current situation that they don't even have growing players except Nebo and Blazevic. Motiejunas spent tons of moneys on dead horses and it leads nowhere long term. Last few years Zalgiris' vision was a disaster idea from long term perspective. I have no idea what Lukosiunas doing in Zalgiris so long. I argue that they should split ways with him already and to buy Ignas Sargiunas. Other Lithuanian targets should be Arnas Velicka, Ignas Brazdeikis, D. Sirvydis, and maybe D. Giedraitis if he can stay healthy. Zalgiris should be looking to build their core signing 22-24yo players with sneaky upside and to develop them into solid EL players. That was the recipe of Saras and he changed this organization completely. Without Saras it will be difficult, but they should find proper coach who would understand this concept (IMO, Adomaitis could be solid fit basically or some Alex Mumbru) and sign 23-24yo best Lithuanians and some sneaky talented foreign gems available. Then find proper roles for them and develop them.

Now Motiejunas simply badly screwed...The only truth piece they have for proper concept is Nebo (and maybe Mudiay...).

Kuzminskas is soft character player if coach gonna bully him like in army and after every mistake put on bench he will lose him. Scared Kuz play is worse than lkl player.

But if coach trust him he can help any team. Give those Ulanovas minutes to Kuz we have not 4 pts player.

Kuzminskas is upgrade to Cavanaugh and this after seriuos injury Ulanovas version.

That Motiejunas and Schiler did horible job is summer is for sure. Kuzminskas would be risky of fast fix problem with big discount.

Jasikevicius system was to bring 23-26 old upcomming players, not 20-22 . Jasikevicius didnt played players u-22 in euroleague with Zalgiris.

Most 20-22 old kids cant handle physicality of euroleague muscles. After 23 sure most already can because they have men bodies not kids anymore.

Most of those 23-26 was foreigners from German league.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 10-24-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Jasikevicius system was to bring 23-26 old upcomming players, not 20-22 . Jasikevicius didnt played players u-22 in euroleague with Zalgiris.

Most 20-22 old kids cant handle physicality of euroleague muscles. After 23 sure most already can because they have men bodies not kids anymore.

Most of those 23-26 was foreigners from German league.

Let's see at what age Saras' got his essential (best ones) gems whom he discovered and developed:

Pangos 23, Micic 23, Grigonis 24, Davies 26, Westermann 24, Walkup 24, Hayes 24, Jokubaitis 18

In Saras' case, it makes 20,25yo average. But we do agree that 23-24 age is that line when players are usually ready for EL physically and mentally. Jokubaitis case however shows that the sooner you start playing a gem in EL, the earlier he gives dividends. He started to see some PT as 18yo and he already exploded as 20yo.

PS: IMO, Zalgiris shouldn't sleep on Sirvydis either. The fact that he stepped on the Eurocup's court as a 17yo and later had 2 legitimate seasons as 18 and 19 years old with decent role is worth mentioning. I have little doubt that Sirvydis is more ripen for high level basketball than say Sargiunas, Brazdeikis even if both are older than him. That is real deal experience. For Sirvydis currently his individual basketball shape may be in jeopardy, but no-one can take this experience from him and his basketball IQ. If Zalgiris will have a chance it should absolutely grab Sirvydis. I would even suggest to get home all those good upcoming Lithuanians in Brazdeikis, Velicka, Sargiunas, Sirvydis, D. Giedraitis. This would mean they have all best prospects of 99-01 generations (knowing that Blazevic already in) except Jokubaitis who happened to be too good to stay longer. Too bad Zalgiris couldn't get one from 98 genration, one from Sedekerskis, Kulboka. The way I see it 98 generation is that boundary when we are having good Lithuanian generations. 1995-1996-1997 are so meh, not a single piece for EL (there's only NBA star Sabonis in this stretch).
    Last edited by Straight forward; 10-24-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Jasikevicius didnt played Jokubaitis at 18.Even at age of 19 he got like 5minutes a game that not playing and he is lithuanian that was around organisation,not that he brought him to help zalgiris in euroleague.

Tell me foreigner he brought to zalgiris and played euroleague that wasnt atleast 23? none in all 5 years.

Like i said all those players were 23-26 old. Like i repeat million types in NTs with top 10 tallent world team roster is same story before 23 old for 95% of youngsters there is nothing to do there if we want to win now.

Data dont lie. Saras also knew that.

One 20 old example and 9 cases of 23+ old its only strenghtens the rule not other away around.

You are suggesting players that are 21-22 and some if them havent shown nothing seriuos.

Those zalgiris signed 23-26 from german league players was balling there like 12-15pts averages all season before zalgiris . Saras wasnt taking any upcomming player,they have to show something prommising playing men league in germany.

If yuo cant see obviuos numbers and see only generational tallent like Jokubaitis one example i cant help you.

The fact is that Jokubaitis started to see some playing time in EL at the age of 18. Any minute at this age is priceless, specially mentally. It's not to say he was important player, it's to say that he already got his legs wet. He played 70min total as 18yo and 64min total as 19yo (second season). His LKL role was much bigger. The fact is that Jokubaitis is one of the best Saras' projects and it started him being 18. The point of counting an average 20.25 is to say that the one like Saras can surely snatch one generational talent at least once in 4 years. He had no problem making 20yo Bolmaro a serious PO rotation player for contending Barsa. He obviously has no problem using his own discovered generational talent 20yo Jokuabitis as legit Barsa's rotation player this season. Knowing Saras scouting talent, there's a big chance that he would discover another generational talent in 4 years working with Zalgiris (hell, I think with Barsa it's even easier, give him some Nunez and he would make him legit EL player at 19-20yo). I bet that if he started to work with Zalgiris sooner, he would had discovered Micic and Pangos even earlier.

There's no question that with the mind of Saras, the average start of his EL projects would be around 20-21,5. He would get plenty of 23-24yo going and would grab at least one 18-19yo generational talent.

I'm suggesting players for Zalgiris not for instant huge contribution. I'm suggesting material from which one can develop a solid EL players who would eventually contribute and would be a part of a winning core for some time.

BTW, I do believe that Saras would be much more aggressive taking young foreigners as well, but it's not simple. Most of really good young players either directly being drafted and goes to NBA or say are glued to their hometown teams. It's really hard to snatch an elite young gem from their environment. Let' say it's some upcoming PG Maledon. He's balling for his own ASVEL as 17yo and Saras calls him and says, come to KAUNAS? Hell, no, it's not gonna work. FOA, that guy already knows that whole freakin' NBA is after him and he has no business to go to Zalgiris and second he wants to stay in his own country, playing for better money most likely. That's why all what's left for Saras is to try to get those best "drop outs", overlooked, underdeveloped 23-25yo foreigners.

You overlook the fact that Saras aggressively tried to integrate youngsters as Orlauskas, Jokubaitis, Uleckas, Blazevic (plenty of guys like Sargiunas, Velicka got their chance in workouts). He would do the same with foreigners, but as I said to get an elite young gem is nearly virtually impossible. There's always great guys who can play early in EL as Maledon, Hayes, Mannion, Bolmaro, Alocen just to mention point guards. But good luck getting those to Zalgiris.

Sedekerskis emerging as the best combo forward (3/4) in the country. In last 2 EL games, he snatched 11 and 12 rebounds. His per 36 rebounding is elite 12. Threes don't fall too well so far, but I've seen plenty in and out for him, love that he takes it with confidence. He doesn't shoot much of twos, but he does it with ridiculous efficiency 77,8%. That's Tavers' territory. I knew there has to be something from Tadas. Last games highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbN...channel=LuckyD

Most efficient EL Liths thus far (pretty sad not to see Grigonis on the map):

R. Giedraitis 14,6
    T. Sedekerskis 12,3
    D. Motiejunas 10.2
    A. Gudaitis 8.3
    L. Lekavicius 6.7
    R. Jokubaitis 5.8

All Zalgiris Lithuanians playing really crappy except Lekavicius, but even he is a bit below his usual efficiency. Kalnietis is unable to step into last years Jokubaitis' shoes and this year Jokubaitis would much better for Zalgiris. Gudaitis can surely play better, he's off shape yet and we yet to know if Grigonis can bring something for CSKA. BTW, Jokubaitis thus far provides a bit more efficiency in 14min for Barsa than Mudiay for Zalgiris in 19min. Basically Jokubaitis would be best guard of Zalgiris today if stayed and it's pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Sedekerskis emerging as the best combo forward (3/4) in the country. In last 2 EL games, he snatched 11 and 12 rebounds. His per 36 rebounding is elite 12.
    Maybe the criticism he took for for being soft last summer has motivated him to play more physically. Good to finally see him pulling down an impressive number of rebounds anyway.

Its interesting how to judge Gudaitis vs Motiejunas. So far it was pretty close . I like Gudaitis defence way more from what i saw. Dmo can offer more in offence.

But they both know they will be 3rd center in NT and max 8-10min per game and in some games no minutes.

Jokubaitis role in barcelona is going down to 5min per game this week in tough 2 away games . In first 2 games Rokas scored 21pts in next 5 games only 14pts.

Sharas in away games plays Rokas way less,he plays him more in home games. In tough road games he goes with more experience guys like Calathes and Laprovitola/Kuric.

Sedekerskis looks very solid. I like his all around game and defence he is true PF and play only there in Baskonia. Maskoliunas made mistake last summer and most fans saw that when he took coaches son instead.

R.Giedraitis i still dont know how judge him. He looks like best lithuanian in euroleague overall .

Ulanovas is by far biggest dissapointment this season.

Kalnietis at 35 for pg euroleague is too fast and too athletic for him at this stage of his career.Reminds me of last season of Jasikevicius in Zalgiris as player brain understands what to do body just not in time.

Lekavicius is that crazy rabbit in offence,but when Zalgiris asked after mudiay injury to do more and gave more minutes he couldnt deliver. He is 17-18minutes player not more with that energy and speed he must play to be good on that level because of height limitations.
    Last edited by Shawshank; 10-29-2021 at 05:36 AM.

It's about Jokubaitis performances lately as well. Recently, after great 2.5 months, his shape shrunk a little bit. Normal for any player, and specially young one.

R. Giedraitis, IMO, again will give very little benefits for NT. It's just how it is. He gets it going with tons of playing time and complete freedom. In NT he doesn't feel like one of the keys, he's playing smaller stretches and the game style is not favorable for him. Thus, we will never see much of contribution from Giedraitis in the NT, IMO.

Ulanovas at this point is completely unusable. He can't play. It can change it somewhere during the season, but now the feeling is that it ain't happening any time soon.

Lekavicius would play much better for Saras. He knew how to utilize him to maximum. Both Schiller and Zdovc are far from that.

Agreed on Kalnietis. It's just how it is. Motiejunas' idea to sign him for guaranteed 2 years was a crazy idea.

PS: Watching at what level Lekavicius and specially Kalnietis performs in pretty messy Zalgiris team in EL environment , I have a feeling Velicka already could come up with more efficient performances given proper role.

Zalgiris 2 players Milaknis and Nebo tried to play basketball this week in 2 games.What others 10 was doing i dont know.

I see Maccabi and Asvel type teams winning euroleague games with 5-6 athletic jumpers and beating more tallented teams.

Zalgiris have Nebo and others white slow shooters. No chance in euroleague with such team. Its men league with more and more athletism.

Typical Sedekerskis after good game next game 24min 0 attempted shots... Tadas sometimes has B.Simmons vibe fantastic defender,super athlete but shoots layups or dunks and nothing more.

Baskonia without Giedraitis this week both games was just destroyed.It seems his 15pts maters to that team alot.

Motiejunas looks lost againts Cska.

Very bad day 7 for lithuanians in euroleague.

Big night for Sedekerskis in ACB (22pts, 35eff) and Velička in Italian League (26pts, 30eff).

Velička should be looking to join some Zalgiris, Alba kind of environment in EL next season. He'll be 22 and he's already strong young PRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    Big night for Sedekerskis in ACB (22pts, 35eff) and Velička in Italian League (26pts, 30eff).

Velička should be looking to join some Zalgiris, Alba kind of environment in EL next season. He'll be 22 and he's already strong young PRO.
    So that's how it looks when Sedekerskis scoring His ACB shooting % looks nice - 83,3%, 42,9%. In EL he shoots twos +70%. He should cut that and be more aggressive. Sedekerskis example is probably prime example how much mentality plays a role in your career. You have to push this guy to shoot!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sNP...annel=Baskonia

Velicka draw 11 fouls. That's a slasher's numbers. I like that he ain't going to the cup straight blind, straight through force. He polished nice hesitation, hanging in an air, a la "Andrius Giedraitis" move which makes him more versatile and dangerous finishing inside.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adk1...ab_channel=LBA

Sedekerskis one game 10pts+ game other will be 2 pts.Thats how his career went to this point. His shooting % from field is like B.Simmons layups and dunks ,but they far from being reliable shooters.

It seems Tadas point numbers depends how much he gets layups in fast break and cuts in positional basketball. IF opponents team defends seriuosly that do not allow those easy things he ends up with 2-4 pts,if it is open fast type game he ends up with 10+pts games.

We wont see Tadas driblling ball and scoring 1 vs 1 like Sf can,he is natural PF position player by style.

But defence always good that stays in every game with Sedekerskis.

Birutis also scored 24pts against Barcelona yesterday,but those acb numbers is not uleb or euroleague numbers offensive playing style is diffrent in acb compared to euroleague/uleb.

Velicka as i said he is combo scoring guard and that is not bad thing lithuanian NT could use in the future such type of players.

35min 26pts 1 asists and 13 taken shots with 5 tournavers . Thats how american combo type scorers stats looks.

Next year i would like to see Velicka in Uleb team and see how he does on that level.

I still waiting maybe this season his team will win 50% of games ? Because if player always plays in loosing teams where the hell he learns how to be winning basketball player?
    Last edited by Shawshank; 11-08-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast