Lithuanians in Euroleague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    In 5 years, IMO, there won't be coaches in EL as current Saras (he can change theoretically) or Obradovic. That's 20th century shit....
    Fact Check: Coach Željko Obradović - EuroLeague Champion (1992, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2017)

Looks more 21st century than 20th century to me. Making stuff up as you go along to fit your current narrative doesn't help you make your point you know.

All I can say about Coach Jasikevičius is he got Žalgiris to the Euroleague Final Four for the first time in over a decade and that he got off on the right foot at Barcelona as the team was better under his reigns than it was the year before. But that's enough right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
      Fact Check: Coach Željko Obradović - EuroLeague Champion (1992, 1994, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2017)

Looks more 21st century than 20th century to me. Making stuff up as you go along to fit your current narrative doesn't help you make your point you know.

All I can say about Coach Jasikevičius is he got Žalgiris to the Euroleague Final Four for the first time in over a decade and that he got off on the right foot at Barcelona as the team was better under his reigns than it was the year before. But that's enough right now.
      Sure, I was aware of these facts. I made a general statement.

You right. That's what I said when I defended Saras in conversation with Toruko, but looking to Barsa's game today, and I get to watch them more this season since Jokubaitis joined, I just see such a restricted and frustrated team. I doubt elite team can be so restricted long term. And I doubt that this form of basketball is staying any longer. The last time Obradovic won with his authoritarian style was 2017, likely it won't happen ever again. Since then Real, CSKA and last 2 years dominating Efes have won (de facto in 2020) the titles. All of these teams playing different basketball than "Obradovic/Saras". IMO, it's the past. Maybe Saras can win one title somewhere by a chance with such BB, but the tendency, IMO, is more than obvious. Teams like Efes, having creative and unleashed perimeter studs, will dominate archaic BB as Barsa's.
      LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
      Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
      Buzelis, Lelevicius
      Murauskas, Sirvydis
      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• 1. Saras teams early on always struggles because dificult system for player to learn . Saras teams start playing really well around march judge anything about any team from first month of season its just kids talks.

2.Cska coach Itoudis is also apple from Obradovic three like Saras is and he won euroleague in 2019.

3. Woulnt be suprised how this ale 90s outdated basketball style coaches will win euroleague titles in

2017 Zelko
        2019 Itoudis
        2021 Saras or Itoudis ?

main thing from Obradovic three apples is super physical defence (alot of contact) pressuring opponents very hard and that comes from very harsh and demanding coaching. Not every high quality player can play in this system.

M.James or T.Heurtel enought to take these 2 examples from last season .There is no doubt that they are elite euroleague guards,but that demanding defensive minded system doesnt suited them at all and they had conflicts with obro coaching style three.

If you are not pressuring opponents with real contact in defence and are do not playing by system in offence eventually you will be asked to leave doesnt matter how good you are.

Obra coaching system style is bigger than any individual player thats the real reason that system have passed test of time.

Lasso or Ataman freely run systems works from time to time sure.

But most euroleague titles was won by very demanding and systematical Obra coaching style in last 20 seasons.
        Last edited by Shawshank; 09-26-2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• I'm not an expert on Itoudis, but from what I've seen he's more liberal than Saras at the offensive end, leaves more room for players with the ball to make their decisions, not so maniacally prone to set strict offense. Off course, those decisions have to be spot on. James sometimes just goes wild, braking all the rules of team BB and going straight ISO, sometimes stupidly ISO. And he's a bit of a nutcase too, at times completely uncoachable. To be fair, Claver and Huertel are perfect system guys, but they had issues with Saras. Despite both Saras and Itoudis being students of Obradovic, I think Itoudis is more liberal than Saras, and I would put Itoudis in the same shelf with Messina and Pascual. Demanding, intelligent system coaches, but not maniacal authoritative system coaches as Obradovic and Saras. My take anyway.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

And 7min per game for Jokuabitis in first 3 ACB games? Remember active, decisive, "rising star of EL" Jokubaitis? You can for get about it.... It's impossible to have basketball shape playing 7min per game. That never worked.... Jokubaitis will regret vastly that he declined Zalgiris offer, he could play 28 minutes in EL and go through mistake, improvise.
            I agree. I've always maintained that when it comes to development a young player is better served playing for a lesser team where he gets real court time than for a big money club where he's only a bit player. Rokas Jokubaitis went from 6:00 minutes per Euroleague game under Coach Jasikevičius in 2019-20 to 20:23 minutes per Euroleague game in 2020-21 under Coach Schiller and looked poised to have even a greater role with Žalgiris in 2021-22. What more could a player fresh out of his teens have wanted?

So why did Jokubaitis go to Barcelona? Clearly for the money. Sadly his development as a player will now be stunted. Maybe if Barcelona lends him to Lietkabelis or Juventus where he'd get close to thirty minutes per game....

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-26-2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hepcat View Post
              I agree. I've always maintained that when it comes to development a young player is better served playing for a lesser team where he gets real court time than for a big money club where he's only a bit player. Rokas Jokubaitis went from 6:00 minutes per Euroleague game under Coach Jasikevičius in 2019-20 to 20:23 minutes per Euroleague game in 2020-21 under Coach Schiller and looked poised to have even a greater role with Žalgiris in 2021-22. What more could a player fresh out of his teens have wanted?

So why did Jokubaitis go to Barcelona? Clearly for the money. Sadly his development as a player will now be stunted. Maybe if Barcelona lends him to Lietkabelis or Utena where he'd get close to thirty minutes per game....

Funny part is that the rumour is that Zalgiris offered better money. And Schiller was offering starters' spot for him. The logic is simple. To play for the better team, in incomparably better league (ACB), to be in super competitive environment. Now he should just hope that his minutes will increase. Bolmaro seen more playing time in the second phase of the season. In a way it's a transition phase for Jokubaitis, but 7min is too shabby even for current stage. He will improve even under these cirmustances, but I'm sure he would benefit much more playing 25min for Zalgiris in EL and going through his mistakes. He would had been putting up something like 10-12pts and 4-6a for Zalgiris this season as best or second best Zalgiris' backcourt player.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Funny part is that the rumour is that Zalgiris offered better money. And Schiller was offering starters' spot for him.
                Plus his pick of the women in Kaunas. I mean WTF?

Well now he'll get to watch the play in this incomparably better ACB league from a courtside seat on the bench.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-27-2021, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Funny part is that the rumour is that Zalgiris offered better money.
                  That part wouldn't surprise me. In Kaunas Rokas Jokubaitis would be a draw and help to sell tickets and merchandise even if the team was having a mediocre season. In Barcelona though he's just another foreign kid and therefore a non-entity.

Worse yet for Jokubaitis the cost of living in Barcelona has to be much higher than in Kaunas.

Meanwhile on a playing time basis, Jokubaitis is giving up a lot playing for Barcelona instead of Žalgiris. If he ends up playing an average of 10 minutes per game for Barcelona versus 25 minutes for Žalgiris, that's 510 minutes more court time playing for Žalgiris in Euroleague games. Then 750 minutes of court time in LKL games. All he'll be getting to offset these losses is 340 minutes of ACB action.

When I was a kid my mother and older sister used to sound starstruck at the mention of glamorous sunny Florida and California. (I myself can't bear hot climates. Even summers here in Toronto get too hot for my blood.) Is that how Spain and Greece are regarded by many young Lithuanians? Because quite simply I'm trying to understand what Jokubaitis might have been thinking.

Last edited by Hepcat; 09-27-2021, 03:53 AM.

Comment

• I wonder Motiejunas watching Zalgiris guards this season so far 35 old veterans Kalnietis and Milaknis, half injured shadow of 32 Strelnieks dont have ideas that their loan peaking player T.Dimsa could help this barely moving zalgiris trio lineup ?

Men is balling and had second game in 2 weeks with 25pts+ performance and he does that in winning team that won fiba champions qualification.

+ guard in his peak of his powers is moving on defence too,those 3 veterans doesnt seem to do that anymore.
                    Last edited by Shawshank; 09-27-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

You right. That's what I said when I defended Saras in conversation with Toruko, but looking to Barsa's game today, and I get to watch them more this season since Jokubaitis joined, I just see such a restricted and frustrated team.
                      That though is still a dramatic about face in opinion after just three ACB games (which incidentally Barcelona won) in this young 2021-22 season.

Comment

• Pistons remaining being crazy (they added 3 more players to training camp after the media day, just to avoid uncomfortable questions, while there's no spots in the roster anymore). And irrational story with Sirvydis and Pistons continues as well. I like the comparison with Furkan Korkmaz though. If Sirvydis would stick for couple of really solid G league seasons, I think he would eventually snatch some role in the NBA if he's not a bust.

What makes his continued presence with Detroit perplexing is, there is no result that does not make the Pistons management look bad.

1.If Sirvydis actually makes the Pistons, why was he cut to begin with? You didn’t open up a roster spot, because Sirvydis would still be on the roster.
                        2,Even if Sirvydis ends up with the G-League Motor City Cruise, again, what is the point? The G-League is to develop into NBA players. The Pistons have already decided Sirvydis is not a prospect for them. Again, if Sirvydis does look good enough to call up to the Pistons, they look bad for cutting him in the first place.
                        3. If Syrvidis is simply released at the end of camp, what was the point of having him return for training camp and summer league? You cut him, so, to quote noted basketball expert Elsa from ‘Frozen’: Let it go.

Thrown into the mix, is the fact that Sirvydis’ agent is Michael Tellen, the son of Pistons vice chairman Arn Tellen. Does it mean anything? Didn’t mean enough to stop Sirvydis from getting released to begin with.

Personally, I thought Sirvydis showed some nice flashes at the end of the season, and I would have kept him on the roster. He is 20-years-old, 6-foot-8 and has a nice shooting touch. Furkan Korkmaz of the 76ers has played in the league for a while with similar skills and size.

Deividas Sirvydis was cut by the Detroit Pistons, despite a contract. Yet, the Lithuanian has played for them in summer league and now training camp.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                        Murauskas, Sirvydis
                        Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Sedekerskis' career high, 15pts, 22ef. Perfect from the field and finally a win for Baskonia:

Toda la información también en:Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/baskonia1959​​ Twitter: https://twitter.com/Baskonia​​Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/...

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                          Murauskas, Sirvydis
                          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Nice game from Tadas...Still the most physically imposing and athletic lith player currently - hopefully he's finally turning a corner in his career and will become a complete player for his club and our NT

Comment

• D-Mo reaching for something special this season, 41.7% FT (5/12)

Sedekerskis tonight was beast on a glass snatching some man's rebounds. He's 23 and in upcoming 3 years still should get even tougher growing to the prime. Fine athlete for Lithuanian standards. However, he needs to be looking for his identity offensively with more urgency, he should be more assertive at O.

Jokubaitis played well. Didn't force anything, played within the system, didn't turn the ball over much. His PF were smart except one. He mainly played at the point and that's very important. If he had hit his open three it would be a really nice game for him, now still decent.

Gudaitis slowly getting in shape, he's still far from 100%, but looked pretty well at times tonight.

Kuz is done. He already lost a stint of athleticism, liability defensively and nothing special offensively. I understand why Pascual is benching him.

Giedraitis is OK, but he needs his 33 minutes to score his 12 points...In the NT again he will be bleak with less PT and freedom.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                              Murauskas, Sirvydis
                              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• watched replay of game Barcelona-Zenit

Pascual usually calm coach was very angry at Kuzminskas in 1 half just in 1min of his play.

In defence didnt came to help and offensively just lost the ball and thats was it in that game for Kuz.

I think it repeats over and over again with very soft Kuz play in real men league that is getting to coach nerves watching same story every game he put Kuz in game.

Knowing weak Kuzminskas character and im not sure he gonna finish season with Zenit. Russian club could parts way with mutual agreement with compensation.

In that scenerio Zalgiris could sign him with discount and use Kuz seeing how out of shape SF Ulanovas is and what disaster Cavanaugh is at PF.
                                Last edited by Shawshank; 10-24-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information