Foreign players in our collegiate leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    i doubt NCAA is after the betterment of Ph basketball. they have their own agenda. once viewership goes down and revenue's plummet for sure they will turn around this rule.
    Yeah. And I doubt any of these crabs can actually outrecruit SBU. No more excuses and alibis. With or without foreigners these crabs won't win. What's next they're also going to put a height limit on the fil-foreigners?

Comment

Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
      Yeah. And I doubt any of these crabs can actually outrecruit SBU. No more excuses and alibis. With or without foreigners these crabs won't win. What's next they're also going to put a height limit on the fil-foreigners?
      actually i was kind of hoping SBU would go to UAAP.
      The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

https://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa-...feed_1-fbfirst

“Banning an import is not a good idea, if you ask me, because it’s gonna make them more lazy,” he said. “I say it for the Filipinos’ side, it’s gonna make the players more lazy. They think that it’s easy to go for layup and its easy to do those stuff, and when they get to Fiba, it’s gonna get worse because they wouldn’t have it easy.”

Eze feels strongly against the decision as he believes that basketball-wise, foreign players have done nothing but good things for Filipino players.

In his time with the Altas, the Nigerian has battled against smaller yet feisty forwards like Kevin Racal, Bradwyn Guinto, and Sidney Onwubere, all of whom are now in the pro league.

“The Philippines is helping us get our education and have a better life,” he testified. “Before, I wasn’t as responsibile person as I am today. But now, I feel responsible for the team to help us get to the playoffs. They shouldn’t do that because they’re helping us too. Everybody back home appreciates what the Philippines is doing for us.”

Despite everything that has happened, Eze is just grateful for the chances this country, especially Perpetual, has given him with this opportunity to not just play but also learn.

“It gives me the peace of mind that if I stop playing basketball today, I have something to fall into. I’ll start a business because I can easily express myself. I’m not a shy person and I can do business,” he said.

“Studying and having the college education here is a lot for me because back home, it’s really expensive for my parents, for my father. It’s a big deal for me. But after NCAA, I’ll make sure I’ll get my degree.”

Comment

future NCAA players will also see their draft stock drop. When a 6'4 forward produces godly stats in NCAA, scouts will still doubt whether he can do it vs taller competition. UAAP players will have an advantage since PBA scouts can see them compete against 6'7+ players both locals and foreigners.

Comment

^they can always go to Pacquiao's league where they'll be playing against senior citizens and bansot fil foreigners. Heck some of them are already playing na

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
              actually i was kind of hoping SBU would go to UAAP.
              I have been waiting for this for a long time. Now that they are a University, WHEN are they going to move to the UAAP?!!
              Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

I agree, it is incredibly stup@% for the NCAA to ISOLATE itself from International Standard of Basketball. It will only give a FALSE SENSE OF WORTH for the players and teams, will result in the deterioration of the quality of Basketball at least in the NCAA.

There are twelve players, only one or two foreigners were allowed before, with only one foreigner allowed to play on the floor at any given time. Majority of the players will still be Filipino, it's just that they are exposed to competition against better players.

NCAA: San Beda Coach Makes Case for Foreign Student-athletes

Camille B. Naredo, ABS-CBN News
                Posted at Jun 28 2018 07:22 PM

MANILA, Philippines – San Beda University has long prepared for the eventuality that foreign student-athletes – commonly referred to as "imports" – will no longer be allowed to play in the NCAA.

It was San Beda that started the wave of foreign players in collegiate basketball, when they featured Nigerian Sam Ekwe in NCAA Season 82. Ekwe was nothing short of dominant, and with him leading the charge the Red Lions won three consecutive championships.

Since then, foreign student-athletes have become a norm in collegiate basketball, not just in the NCAA and the UAAP, but even in leagues such as the CESAFI in the Visayas. Most of these players are from Africa, including current San Beda big man Donald Tankoua and former De La Salle University standout Ben Mbala.

But the days of foreign student-athletes in the NCAA are numbered. The league confirmed earlier this month that "imports" can only play until Season 95; by 2020, no foreign players will be allowed in the NCAA.

The league's decision, which applies to all sports, not just basketball, has been greatly debated. San Beda, however, always knew that this time would come, especially after the rule was first discussed 5 years ago.

"In 2013, when they imposed that ban . . . alam na namin 'yung magiging sitwasyon namin," San Beda coach Boyet Fernandez said during an appearance on CNN Philippines' "Sports Desk" on Thursday morning.

"That's why we enrolled Donald, we enrolled everyone who we think will help the team until the end of the ban. Nabigla lang kami na medyo napaaga."

Prepared as they may be, but this does not mean that Fernandez agrees with the NCAA's new ruling. He told CNN Philippines' Andrei Felix that foreign players have gone a long way toward improving collegiate basketball in the country.

"May malalaki nga tayo, (pero) kaunti lang," he said. "So 'yung iba, 'pag hindi makakuha 'yung teams, hindi makakuha ng malaki, medyo may disparity na kaagad."

To read the rest of the article, go to:
                http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/06/28...udent-athletes
                Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Comment

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

On the flip side this will help our locals play defense without resorting to MMA moves. The amount of physicality allowed to be played against foreigners is ridiculous. That's probably one of the reasons we have trouble adjusting to fiba officiating.

Anyway this is why the NCAA will always be the number 2 collegiate league in the land. Who knows maybe in a few years the CESAFI or the currently lesser leagues will surpass it.

Comment

Originally posted by hmbopbaduwap View Post
                      https://www.spin.ph/basketball/ncaa-...feed_1-fbfirst

“Banning an import is not a good idea, if you ask me, because it’s gonna make them more lazy,” he said. “I say it for the Filipinos’ side, it’s gonna make the players more lazy. They think that it’s easy to go for layup and its easy to do those stuff, and when they get to Fiba, it’s gonna get worse because they wouldn’t have it easy.”

Eze feels strongly against the decision as he believes that basketball-wise, foreign players have done nothing but good things for Filipino players.

In his time with the Altas, the Nigerian has battled against smaller yet feisty forwards like Kevin Racal, Bradwyn Guinto, and Sidney Onwubere, all of whom are now in the pro league.

“The Philippines is helping us get our education and have a better life,” he testified. “Before, I wasn’t as responsibile person as I am today. But now, I feel responsible for the team to help us get to the playoffs. They shouldn’t do that because they’re helping us too. Everybody back home appreciates what the Philippines is doing for us.”

Despite everything that has happened, Eze is just grateful for the chances this country, especially Perpetual, has given him with this opportunity to not just play but also learn.

“It gives me the peace of mind that if I stop playing basketball today, I have something to fall into. I’ll start a business because I can easily express myself. I’m not a shy person and I can do business,” he said.

“Studying and having the college education here is a lot for me because back home, it’s really expensive for my parents, for my father. It’s a big deal for me. But after NCAA, I’ll make sure I’ll get my degree.”
                      I simply don't get it...in those UAAP and NCAA schools during actual class discussions this so called men and women from the academe keeps on barking eloquently about Global Competitiveness, Global Community, Borderless Environment, Filipino as a Global Citizen, Filipinos in the 21st Century and beyond among others with conviction and stage presence inside the classroom. Now here's this very irritating news(again) that starting next year this so called student athlete will be barred from playing in any sports activities whatsoever. Nasobrahan na ba sa katalinuhan ang mga namamahala ng Organization na ito at feeling nila nasa great disadvantage ang mga local born student athlete if pitted against this foreign born students. As I said to my previous posted items I have nothing against this schools and universities because they are the best educational institution this country can offer but everytime I read something in a news about this and that..I keep on wondering is this the effect of being to smart?

They keep on talking this Patriotism and Global Competitiveness in their respective classrooms but not on actual implementation.

Comment

IMO this has nothing to do with patriotism or protecting our locals. This is the work of some insecure crabs trying to bring down a very good basketball program. Nainggit sa trophies at recognition. This is them waving the white flag even before the battle has even begone. The talent disparity gap is just to wide. While they're waiting for scraps and hand me down players the other school is busy scouting and recruiting players here and abroad.

Comment

True, which makes it a hundred times more disgusting. They used patriotism as an excuse for bringing down San Beda, instead of stepping up their game themselves. And to think most of these schools don't lack for funding. I can understand JRU, Arellano, Lyceum, and even SSC-R struggle to recruit since they are basically profit-driven operations, but the likes Benilde, Letran, Mapua have a rich alumni network and are backed by powerful institutions.
                          “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
                          -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

In the long run, I am expecting San Beda and Benilde to be the most dominant teams in the NCAA. Both have the resources. Benilde is already doing well in the FilOil with their new FilAm recruit and expect more to come.

Comment

Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post
                              True, which makes it a hundred times more disgusting. They used patriotism as an excuse for bringing down San Beda, instead of stepping up their game themselves. And to think most of these schools don't lack for funding. I can understand JRU, Arellano, Lyceum, and even SSC-R struggle to recruit since they are basically profit-driven operations, but the likes Benilde, Letran, Mapua have a rich alumni network and are backed by powerful institutions.

The funny thing is, all these NCAA schools have or had imports. So it's not really about San Beda only. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by mangangalakal View Post

Almost everyone has had foreign players but you don't see them playing in championship games every year. Oraeme has been the best player in the NCAA the last couple of years and even he couldn't drag his team to the final four. Having a good foreign player doesn't guarantee a championship.

The Stags and Knights have beaten San Beda before using an all filipino lineup and San Beda swept the Pinatubo trio led Stags without Sudan.

These schools wants the trophy to be handed to them on a silver platter. Garapalan na. Don't be deceived with their Filipino first BS

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information