FIBA "AmeriCup" 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
    Euroleague might not let their players to play too, so far no agreement between them and FIBA, so Euroleague, Eurocup players might be left out aswell
    It was announced by Jordi a few months ago that EuroLeague and EuroCup players would be allowed to play.

Did something change recently?

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
      It was announced by Jordi a few months ago that EuroLeague and EuroCup players would be allowed to play.

Did something change recently?
      About a week ago, after another shareholders meeting, Zalgiris GM said that EL is undecided what to do, no decision yet, most likely it be made only on July, when schedule for next season will be confirmed, but so far it looks unlikely that there'll be any agreement with FIBA

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
        About a week ago, after another shareholders meeting, Zalgiris GM said that EL is undecided what to do, no decision yet, most likely it be made only on July, when schedule for next season will be confirmed, but so far it looks unlikely that there'll be any agreement with FIBA
        This is a mess. FIBA has their heads up their ass per usual. I was talking to someone on another thread (who is usually reliable) and he said he saw an interview with a FIBA official who said the USA would not be without NBA players as they can schedule all their games in the summer windows if they want. Is that true? Who knows... it seems no one knows anything solid.

Comment

This is a mess. FIBA has their heads up their ass per usual. I was talking to someone on another thread (who is usually reliable) and he said he saw an interview with a FIBA official who said the USA would not be without NBA players as they can schedule all their games in the summer windows if they want. Is that true? Who knows... it seems no one knows anything solid.
          I guess even FIBA and ULEB have no idea what will happen. Funny thing that lately France, Turkey, Italy clubs stated that starting from next season, they will go back under ULEB wing. So ULEB will have basically all the best clubs in its tournaments with majority of best players. I just can't imagine who will play for NTs if there'll be no agreement

Comment

I really hope this is true.

Comment

I think you guys are dreaming if you think Nba players are gonna participate in this tournament. Historically Nba players only participated when there was an Olympic birth on the line like in '99,'03 and '07. In the odd years when world championships births were on the line like in 2005 they didn't even participate. So with nothing on the line this tournament is equivalent to the Pan Am games. No chance you'll see Nba players.
              Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

I was talking to someone on another thread (who is usually reliable)
                LOL, I think some people here might have a different opinion of that poster's reliability...or sanity...

Who knows with FIBA though. An ambitious "idea man" like Baumann is always a dangerous thing in an international sports organization. The draw for the qualifiers is just a couple weeks away, so we should have concrete schedule information soon.
                Originally posted by Fedfan
                Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                Originally posted by GuTO
                refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                  I think you guys are dreaming if you think Nba players are gonna participate in this tournament. Historically Nba players only participated when there was an Olympic birth on the line like in '99,'03 and '07. In the odd years when world championships births were on the line like in 2005 they didn't even participate. So with nothing on the line this tournament is equivalent to the Pan Am games. No chance you'll see Nba players.
                  I was talking about NBA players playing in the Qualification games for the FIBA World Cup. Not this "AmeriCup".

During the summer non-NBA season windows I am sure you'll at least see the Team USA "Select Team" level guys playing. Maybe a couple top players sprinkled in. USA Basketball has training camps most summers for the Select guys anyways.

They could easily participate in the AmeriCup as well for training purposes.

Here is the Select Team from 2016

Selected for the 2016 USA Basketball Select squad were: Malcolm Brogdon (University of Virginia); Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns); Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Detroit Pistons); Willie Cauley-Stein (Sacramento Kings); Kris Dunn (Providence College); Aaron Gordon (Orlando Magic); Jerami Grant (Philadelphia 76ers); Gary Harris (Denver Nuggets); Rodney Hood (Utah Jazz); Brandon Ingram (Duke University); Brice Johnson (University of North Carolina), Stanley Johnson (Detroit Pistons); Zach LaVine (Minnesota Timberwolves); CJ McCollum (Portland Trail Blazers); Doug McDermott (Chicago Bulls); Emmanuel Mudiay (Denver Nuggets); Jahlil Okafor (Philadelphia 76ers); Jabari Parker (Milwaukee Bucks); Julius Randle (Los Angeles Lakers); D’Angelo Russell (Los Angeles Lakers); Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Denzel Valentine (Michigan State University); Justise Winslow (Miami Heat) and Cody Zeller (Charlotte Hornets).

Note: Using Team USA in the FIBA Americas in 2005, I think is a poor example. That was the high point of USA Basketball's complete disarray and breakdown. As we know things have changes drastically since. Having a "Select Team" of younger players to draw own that get familiarity with each other and the FIBA game is part of it....
                  Last edited by mojo13; 04-25-2017, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
                    LOL, I think some people here might have a different opinion of that poster's reliability...or sanity...

Who knows with FIBA though. An ambitious "idea man" like Baumann is always a dangerous thing in an international sports organization. The draw for the qualifiers is just a couple weeks away, so we should have concrete schedule information soon.
                    Yes...I understand your point. that is what I said his comment was absurd. But as you say - you never know with FIBA and they have a history of special deals with favoured ($$$) nations. Turkey and Finland know what I am talking about. And Brazil is being extorted by FIBA as we speak...

Comment

Yes...I understand your point. that is what I said his comment was absurd. But as you say - you never know with FIBA and they have a history of special deals with favoured ($$$) nations. Turkey and Finland know what I am talking about. And Brazil is being extorted by FIBA as we speak...
                      Did they they ever pay for that World Cup wild card?

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
                        Did they they ever pay for that World Cup wild card?
                        I think that is still the issue (even though FIBA cites many other issues). You'll see their slot for the AmeriCup as TBA (to be announced). Noticed it is the same for the u19 Worlds which they qualified for. I believe Brazil is currently suspended by FIBA.

Recall they were suspended leading up to the Olympics last year but FIBA baulked at barring them from the Olympics, presumably as they got pressure from the IOC since they were the hosts. The battle has resumed and Brazil is banned until they settle their differences.

Here is FIBA's gripe with Brazil:
                        MIES, Switzerland - FIBA on Monday announced its decision to suspend the Brazilian Basketball Federation (CBB) following the conclusion of its Executive Committee meeting.

Comment

I think that is still the issue (even though FIBA cites many other issues). You'll see their slot for the AmeriCup as TBA (to be announced). Noticed it is the same for the u19 Worlds which they qualified for. I believe Brazil is currently suspended by FIBA.

Recall they were suspended leading up to the Olympics last year but FIBA baulked at barring them from the Olympics, presumably as they got pressure from the IOC since they were the hosts. The battle has resumed and Brazil is banned until they settle their differences.

Here is FIBA's gripe with Brazil:
                          http://www.fiba.com/news/fiba-suspen...ian-federation
                          I was opposed to them getting a wild card that year because they shat the bed the previous summer and going to such great lengths to get it seems to have screwed them over long term.
                          I wouldn't assume to be right but my guess is the slack on payment shined the light on other issues.

Comment

USA Basketball to use non-NBA players for qualifying after FIBA changes

USA Basketball already looking for host cities for the Qualifiers.
                            Last edited by tres equis; 05-02-2017, 08:10 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

FIBA AmeriCup 2017 will launch a generational change for the Dominican Republic
                              SANTO DOMINGO (FIBA AmeriCup 2017) - Melvyn L?pez, Head Coach of the Dominican Republic’s National Team found in the FIBA AmeriCup 2017 a great opportunity to formalize the generational change for the...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tres equis View Post
                                USA Basketball to use non-NBA players for qualifying after FIBA changes

USA Basketball already looking for host cities for the Qualifiers.
                                http://wane.com/2017/05/01/summit-ci...cup-qualifier/
                                The weirdest part about this is not even the statement from USAB mentions the Americup. They simply mention the qualifiers for the World Cup.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information