FIBA "AmeriCup" 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA "AmeriCup" 2017

Tournament has been expanded to 12 teams and shortened--it will be three groups of four, followed by semifinals and finals. Groups will be played in Medeillin, Montevideo, and Bahia Blanca, with the semis and finals in Cordoba (Argentina). Argies will automatically qualify for the semis as hosts. USA is listed as a participant, no idea what sort of team they'll send.
    International Basketball Federation (FIBA) Americas has announced that Argentina, Colombia and Uruguay will jointly host the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.
    Originally posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Originally posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Canada and the USA have auto bids but the USA has opted out every time since 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
      Canada and the USA have auto bids but the USA has opted out every time since 2009
      Not a peep about this in Canada.
      I have no idea if we'll try to field a real national team as preparation for the first World Cup Qualification games (1st round is Nov. 20-28 2017) or send a young Junior/"B"/"C" team just get some FIBA experience.

I would have to assume this would be a good prep opportunity for the full national teams.

Comment

Draw results:

Draw.jpg

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA AmeriCup 2017) – The draw for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017 took place in Buenos Aires, Argentina, at midday on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by carlo View Post
          Draw results:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9568[/ATTACH]

http://www.fiba.com/americup/2017/ne...-americup-2017

Top three teams from the 2015 FIBA Americas in the same pool? Interesting. Not that it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
            Not a peep about this in Canada.
            I have no idea if we'll try to field a real national team as preparation for the first World Cup Qualification games (1st round is Nov. 20-28 2017) or send a young Junior/"B"/"C" team just get some FIBA experience.

I would have to assume this would be a good prep opportunity for the full national teams.
            Canada will probably send whom ever is willing. It is really weird that outside of a tweet today, USA basketball has been pretty silent about it.

Comment

Canada will probably send whom ever is willing. It is really weird that outside of a tweet today, USA basketball has been pretty silent about it.
              I can easily see Canada using this a pre-requisite for the Qualification team. Or at least try to get most of the group together. It would be nice to see the better non-NBA guys there.

I would say 99% of USA basketball fans have no idea of the new qualification process. Or even care at this point.
              They will soon be surprised that the USA needs to play in qualification games for the WC (as opposed to directly qualifying by winning the Olympics) and without NBA players.

I am sure USA Basketball has some sort of plan in place. A D-league allstar team would be good enough to qualify through the first round at least. The 2nd round? Probably but who knows?

This AmeriCup really doesn't have much value though other than a training session of sorts.

I think the best Canada could hope for with the first WC Qualification window in November is something like:

K. Pangos, O Hanlan
              P. Scrubb, Brady Heslip
              Aaron Doornekamp, T. Scrubb
              Melvin Ejim, Kyle Wiltjer, Anthony Bennett
              Khem Birch, Robert Sacre
              Last edited by mojo13; 04-20-2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I can easily see Canada using this a pre-requisite for the Qualification team. Or at least try to get most of the group together. It would be nice to see the better non-NBA guys there.

I would say 99% of USA basketball fans have no idea of the new qualification process. Or even care at this point.
                They will soon be surprised that the USA needs to play in qualification games for the WC (as opposed to directly qualifying by winning the Olympics) and without NBA players.

I am sure USA Basketball has some sort of plan in place. A D-league allstar team would be good enough to qualify through the first round at least. The 2nd round? Probably but who knows?

This AmeriCup really doesn't have much value though other than a training session of sorts.

I think the best Canada could hope for with the first WC Qualification window in November is something like:

K. Pangos, O Hanlan
                P. Scrubb, Brady Heslip
                Khem Birch, Robert Sacre
                Idk USA Basketball tweets about everything. I didn't even know they were in the event until I saw it in this forum. I openly hope they send a team of players from non playoff teams this year. Beyond that they'll have to send D-League teams.

Comment

This Americup is supposedly a qualification tournament for the Panamerican Games, i think 7 teams qualify.
                  sigpic

Comment

USA Basketball made yesterday official announcement:

Top three finishing teams and Argentina will advance to sf.

Comment

For the US I liked the idea of sending a single D-League team to the qualifiers during the NBA season. With limited preparation time there will be a big advantage in having guys who already play together.

Really curious to see what other Americas teams are able to assemble for the qualifiers, especially Canada where a lot of the guys who play the qualifiers would be pushed aside for NBA players if they actually make it to the World Cup.
                      Originally posted by Fedfan
                      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                      Originally posted by GuTO
                      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

K. Pangos, O Hanlan
                        P. Scrubb, Brady Heslip
                        Khem Birch, Robert Sacre
                        Euroleague might not let their players to play too, so far no agreement between them and FIBA, so Euroleague, Eurocup players might be left out aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          Euroleague might not let their players to play too, so far no agreement between them and FIBA, so Euroleague, Eurocup players might be left out aswell
                          I totally get what FIBA was trying to do but they took the long way round.
                          They could have made every event every four years and give teams a break after the Olympics instead of that stupid schedule in the middle of seasons.

Comment

I totally get what FIBA was trying to do but they took the long way round.
                            They could have made every event every four years and give teams a break after the Olympics instead of that stupid schedule in the middle of seasons.
                            Indeed. FIBA was desperate to increase World Champs level, cause it went down drastically, not much players cared about it, for that they even changed the name of competition to look more like FIFA World Cup. But that wasn't a bad move, they made some other, just liek you wrote - schedule is most obvious. Thnx god that atleast they understood and listened to players opinion, that Olympics is the main event and made WC only as qualifiers to it. Otherwise who knows what would have happened, we could even lose only international event where all the bigest starts comes to compete

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                              Indeed. FIBA was desperate to increase World Champs level, cause it went down drastically, not much players cared about it, for that they even changed the name of competition to look more like FIFA World Cup. But that wasn't a bad move, they made some other, just liek you wrote - schedule is most obvious. Thnx god that atleast they understood and listened to players opinion, that Olympics is the main event and made WC only as qualifiers to it. Otherwise who knows what would have happened, we could even lose only international event where all the bigest starts comes to compete
                              I mean the ultimate issue is that most players were playing every summer in the previous format. The better teams had no time off. When only two teams has spots for the next big event and one team has a monopoly on one of those spots it makes it hard. This is especially true of the NBA players. Hard to justify playing in both Eurobasket and the Olympics if you have to do the additional QT as well and them do it again the next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information