Foreign player quota in TBL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign player quota in TBL

Currently teams are allowed to hold 4 foreign players in their roster, only 3 of which can be on court at the same time (3+1 rule). However, there are rumors this number might expand up to 6 for the next season, even though federation seems reluctant and obstinate to this change.

what are your thoughts on foreign player restriction? Is it good for Turkish basketball, or is it a hidrance?

I'm inclined for permittance of larger number of foreign players in TBL. Becuase,

- The fact that number of foreign players being limited mandates the signing of at least 8 Turkish players for each team. There are 16 teams and at least 128 spots to be filled. When the current supply of Turkish players is considered, this is a big number and I think there's over-employment in TBL! Salaries gets unrealistally higher. Some of the players that should play in lower levels are in TBL rosters, and for big moneys! Quality decreases

- We all know how many high-potential youngsters spark at 19-20 years of age and then fade away without becoming anything special. There could be other reasons like coaching quality, playing time etc., but I think one of the reasons is that they know quite well they'll be recruited by a TBL team for long years with a satisfying pay-check even if they do not show any further develeopment. In absence of tough competion since the foreigner are in limited number, the player's motivation to develop himself vanishes. Quality decreases.

- Teams that compete in European cups have to face with teams formed by the best international players of many nationalities. This years final four: CSKA (7), Maccabi (7), TAU (10), Barcelona (8) (average=8 foreigners /roster). Their budgets are not too bigger than Efes's or Ulker's. Even if the bugdet differences were huge, Efes and Ulker can only buy 4 foreigners no matter how rich they are. Therefore, those big clubs have collect the best Turkish players of TBL in their rosters, sometimes without giving any playing time; and the other clubs have to struggle with remaining mediocre players. So, we see the same finals/same winners every year. Degree of competition decreases, quality decreases.

To sum up, a good player would be able to show himself no matter how many foreigners are around. As I said above, he will have a reason to work hard. Therefore, these concerns about a drop in NT performance, disinterest to youngster teams, or the league's turning into a foreign player garbage are not justified, for me at least. Especially, when countries like Spain, Italy, Greece are considered. Their NT's are the best ones, they continually and more systematically produce youngsters, and yes, they have the best foreigners. Our situation is clear. With all these forced rules, where are we?

edit: I noticed I forgot to add that not all of these views belong to me. It's partly built upon a text by Murat YĆ¼ce.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-21-2006, 08:57 PM.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

The foreigner quote has changed to 3+1+1, now. The rule is the same with the older one except for an opportunity to sign one more player who will sit on the tribune in TBL matches.

But there's some very interesting developments on this subject. I don't know the details, but if it's true, this may change many things.

From the Euroleague Signings thread,
    Originally posted by AssAssin
    İt doesnt need to be a turkish player anymore for Efes. Granger will play in turkish status next year.Because Turkish Basketball Federation announced that players who played in Turkey at least 3 years can get turkish passport.So it seems there are 4 foreign players in the squad.As a result jenkins-nicholas-granger-haislip-prkacin starting lineup is original lineup!
    +
    Form this website, http://www.ntvspor.net/pages/2201.asp
    Originally posted by TBF Leagues Director, Ahmet Arasan
    "Foreigners who have played at least three years in Turkey will be counted in Turkish citizen status."

Comment

Ahh one of Turkey's favourite topics (both in football and basketball) the foreign-player count discussion, well it?s a difficult topic and I have been thinking about it. I always was in favour of restrictions to protect our own players. But the last few months I think I have changed my mind. First of all the restrictions aren?t a guarantee for good Turkish players, they still have to be scouted and educated. So having a lot of foreign players in your league doesn?t change that, a good organisation and youth system will do that. Secondly you need a strong league, a strong league will produce good players. I think a weak league with a lot of Turkish players will be worse for Turkish basketball then a strong league with a lot of foreign players. Just look to Italy in football, their teams consist of 80% of foreign players and they still managed to get the World Cup. Besides in Turkey it?s been fashion now to convert to the Turkish nationality. Suppose we already can be looking forward to the new name of Granger?..hmmm Taner Granger?
      ________
      NO2 VAPORIZER
      Last edited by Spike; 04-15-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Our problem is that we haven't a very strong league. We need competition in Turkey and with those kind of restrictions it will be hard. Of course our Euroleague performance is somehow depending with this case.

My opinion is clear: While Europe's best countries (Italy, Spain, Greece, Russia) both have good NT's and a very competitive league without any restrictions, you can't say "no we are working in a different way and try to be competitive". The fact is that we aren't competitive in contrast to the Top countries.

btw, Murat YĆ¼ce is one of those persons I've very big respect. I know him from the batug forum

Comment

I also agree it will be better for the Tbl if we expand the number of foreigners allowed. Because now some Turkish players with a certain ability are guarenteed to a number of minutes a game because of this restriction. If this restriction is being lifted, they will work harder to get better and get some playing time or go to another team. So in the end we will get better Turkish players due to the increased competition imo.

Comment

The new rule is 3+2.

Clubs may have 5 foreigners in total, but only 3 of them can stay on court at the same time.

Any club that hires the 5th foreigner has to pay an extra fee of 125.000 USD, which will be collected in a pool and the gathered sum will be shared among the teams that have 3 or less foreigners.

The rule will remain as it is for the upcoming 3 seasons, but some regulations regarding the distributions of players according to their continents will be implemented.

From the 2010-11 season on, the total number of foreigners allowed is going to be increased to 6.

[Source]

Comment

Its a good idea to limit the number of foreign players playing together on the court, not a good idea to limit their numbers overall.

Originally posted by parso
              Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
              Originally posted by sseppel
              it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
              Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
              Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

No more restriction in number of foreign players in TBL

No more restriction in number of foreign players in TBL - Mar 26, 2014

POSTED BY: UGUR TURKER

Turkish Basketball Federation is about to remove all limitations in number of foreign players in TBL.

For now, teams in TBL are only allowed 6 foreigners to have in their rosters. 5 of 6 has to be chosen for matches and only 3 players can play on court at the same.

According to new rule, teams will not face any restriction while using their foreigners. All active players on the court can be selected among foreigners, and in roster, 8 players can be registered.

Comment

TBF decided about foreign players rules for BBL - Jun 3, 2014 POSTED BY: FERSU YAHYABEYOGLU

TBF board of directors discussed the foreign players rule in today's meeting. They reviewed the numbers of foreign player in BBL.

At the end of meeting they made decisions:

1- The rule will be changed from 3+2 to 5+0 means 5 foreign players can be on the court at the same time.

2- The rule of European passport player was cancelled. The rule was every team must have min one European passaport player in their foreign players roster.

3- The rule will be effective between 2014-2016 for two seasons. Because TBF think that the number of foreign players may effect to Turkish basketball and national teams negatively.

The decisions will be finalized in the League Committee meeting according to clubs' supports to the national teams.

***** In the early days of the season the clubs wanted to change the rule as 5+2 and dismiss the European passport player rule but the clubs did not agree about these changes.

Comment

One of the issues to be resolved is neutralized player and number of contracts can be done with foreign players.
                    Previous limit was 8. You can sign max 8 foreign player contracts. Six of them were eligible to play in TBL and 5 on the match roster.
                    With current system we know we will have 5 in match roster and all 5 can be on the court at the same time.
                    Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Comment

New Foreign Players Rule in TBL - Jun 11, 2014

New Foreign Players Rule in TBL - Jun 11, 2014

POSTED BY: FERSU YAHYABEYOGLU

TBL board of directors mentioned their final decision about the foreign players rule today.

Here are the main topics of the new rule:

1- Every team can have 6 foreign players (from Europe or other regions) in their rosters.

2- Starting-Five can be made all by foreign players.

3- The teams want to add the 6th player to their rosters need to pay extra fee of 125.000 USD to Turkish Federation except the license fees.

4- The Home Grown Player status will be in charge like in Liga Endesa. Players between 15-21 years old and played min 3 years in youth teams for Turkish Federation will be in HGP status and not in Foreign Player status.

The last rule in place said that 3 foreign players can be played in starting five and 2 players can be on bench. There is HGP rule.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Ermal Kuqo (Albania-TUR), Orhan Hacıyeva (Azerbaijan-TUR), Duşan Cantekin (Serbia-TUR), Kenan Sipahi (Kosovo-TUR), Cedi Osman (FYROM-TUR), Uluğ KaƧaniku (Kosovo-TUR), Kristijan Nikolov (FYROM) = Maybe HGP (Domestic player). Not sure.

* Emir Preldžič (SLO-BIH-TUR), Erwin Dudley(USA-TUR), Keith Simmons (USA-TUR), Michael Wright (USA-TUR), Tomislav Ružić (Croatia-TUR), David Lee Dixon (USA-TUR), = Foreign player

Comment

Originally posted by Peace View Post
                        * Ermal Kuqo (Albania-TUR), Orhan Hacıyeva (Azerbaijan-TUR), Duşan Cantekin (Serbia-TUR), Kenan Sipahi (Kosovo-TUR), Cedi Osman (FYROM-TUR), Uluğ KaƧaniku (Kosovo-TUR), Kristijan Nikolov (FYROM) = Maybe HGP (Domestic player). Not sure.

* Emir Preldžič (SLO-BIH-TUR), Erwin Dudley(USA-TUR), Keith Simmons (USA-TUR), Michael Wright (USA-TUR), Tomislav Ružić (Croatia-TUR), David Lee Dixon (USA-TUR), = Foreign player
                        I am not sure Emir Preldzic, Erwin Dudley, Keith Simmons, Michael Wright, Tomislav Ruzic and David Lee Dixon can be counted as foreign player. They had the right to play as Turkish Player and by law if you gain an identity you can't lose it unless you do something against law. I believe these players will be Turkish players.

This rule will have a date to start and any player gains Turkish nationality after this date - like Keith Langford - won't play as Turk. He will be in national team but won't be counted as Turkish Player in the league. This is what it should be...
                        Go Efes Pilsen - Go Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by Efesdxb View Post
                          I am not sure Emir Preldzic, Erwin Dudley, Keith Simmons, Michael Wright, Tomislav Ruzic and David Lee Dixon can be counted as foreign player. They had the right to play as Turkish Player and by law if you gain an identity you can't lose it unless you do something against law. I believe these players will be Turkish players.

This rule will have a date to start and any player gains Turkish nationality after this date - like Keith Langford - won't play as Turk. He will be in national team but won't be counted as Turkish Player in the league. This is what it should be...
                          I can add Ersan Ilyasova (Uzbekistan origin), Zaza Pachulia (Georgia) in The Home Grown Player.

Comment

foreigner limit and development

Now that we see a failure in most levels, what do you think about foreigner limit?

I believe most people are asking for the numbers to drop so Turkish players can find more playing time but I think thats the problem. Yes they will play (most likely centers and wings) but they will not be given responsibility. Even Cedi and Furkan were role players in the league before they went NBA, they shoot when they got the ball.

Because there is a limit on foreigners teams like Efes and FB built their team for EL and they got the best available Turkish players to maybe play them limited time in the BSL. They are not getting the "good prospects" to actually use them but since they can afford to get them they are using them as warm up guys. Non-EL teams don't have the budget to offer so they are not able to hold on to this guys. One can show up their potential every now and then like SertaƧ but he is almost 30 now and we dont have time to wait or luxury to waste the potential of the youngsters

If there were no limit to how many foreigners you can play, big teams wouldn't offer huge numbers to the guys they won't play. Young guys would play in the teams that actually wants to use them and not be buried in bench. If FB or Efes get a guy then they would get them because they will use them. There is no denying Banvit+BJK helped a lot on the development of Alperen and Sehmus, would they find the playing time in FB or Efes last year? I doubt that.

Comment

Turkish teams dont care about developing Turkish player just Bandirma did. Efes is a special case but also not the leading train in Turkish BB anymore. In such a case foreigner limitations are an obligation since the League is too strong especially the young guys wont see playing time let alone resposibility. If the clubs whine about too few high level Turkish player its their own fault but there are quite young guys who learned from the mistakes of their older colleagues and leave Turkey to play and grow and this will continue.

Efes or FB shouldnt bother developing prospect anyway. Well if there are a guy out of 10 its ok but the others must be sold or loaned.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information