View Poll Results: Who will emerge as the top team in Group D?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • South Korea

34 72.34%
  • Chinese Taipei

3 6.38%
  • Syria

7 14.89%
  • Hongkong

3 6.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Group D (Korea, Hong Kong, Syria, Chinese Taipei)

Default Group D (Korea, Hong Kong, Syria, Chinese Taipei)

main Asian Championship thread (score updates from Kings)

Preliminary Round
    Group D

July 28
    Syria vs. Chinese Taipei
    South Korea vs. Hongkong of China

July 29
    Hongkong of China vs. Syria
    Chinese Taipei vs. South Korea

July 30
    Chinese Taipei vs. Hongkong of China
    Syria vs. South Korea
    Last edited by sinobball; 07-15-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

SoKor!!!

Hehehe...i voted hong kong...
    NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

I voted for Syria.. if the games get physical..and soon enough they'll manage to make the Sokors and Taiwanese get some serious injuries..LOL

seriously, this bracket is bound for South Korea and Chinese Taipei to dominate, Syria will be the dark and ugly horse
    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by saints13
    I voted for Syria.. if the games get physical..and soon enough they'll manage to make the Sokors and Taiwanese get some serious injuries..LOL

seriously, this bracket is bound for South Korea and Chinese Taipei to dominate, Syria will be the dark and ugly horse

very ugly...
    NEW ORLEANS HORNETS 2008

south korea...

Syria... just for Michel Maadelni.
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

Syria played well in Manila Invitational... i'll expect them to upset these two smaller teams...
    Impossible is Nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by apiSigbinz
    Syria played well in Manila Invitational... i'll expect them to upset these two smaller teams...
    yup, i agree...

korea is weak against physical teams
    CT is streaky... if 3-pt shots don't fall, they're in trouble...

Syria have a lot of good players like Michel Maadeli, Hekmat haddad,Sharif Sharif and the 3 bra/Syr players,it would be nice for syria if they beat S.korea and Chinese taipei.
    The last game btw Syria vs S.korea was in 2001 when S.korea beat syria by 1 pt.
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

I think Korea would top this group followed by Syria

i hope this is where the philippines is bracketed
    lol

with the addition of kim joo sung, i guess the story will change.

South Korea's gonna take this. it will still be tough for them tho.

Interesting what will be the line-up of Hong Kong (do they have mainland chinese imports?)? But still it will be exciting to see 3 teams (SoKors, Taiwan and Syria) up for grabs in this group.

South Korea still

This group is certainly will go in favor of South Korea. Although, the exciting part is the battle for 2nd between Syria and Chinese-Taipei.

Hong Kong beat Taiwan's SBL champion Taiwan Beer 100-91 yesterday in the Xiamen Invitational which also featured a team from Macau and China's Fujian Sturgeons.

Taiwan Beer is missing their star Lin Chih Chieh (to their NT) but had many other key players. Hong Kong was led by their star Poon Chi Ho (who had played in China's CBA as well as Taiwan's CBA) with 33 pts. The 2 teams fired 34 three pointers altogether.
    aim low, score high

Default re

Nade Nakdali of the Syria Basketball Association said after the draw in Japan: "I think that the (Group D) competition will be between three teams and Korea will be favourites to top the group.

"The second position will be between Chinese Taipei and Syria who will fight for the second place while Hong Kong could be the weakest link in the group."
    Nakdali says neither he, nor the players, can wait for the tournament to begin.

by fiba news..

I wish our NT play not so hard in Group D games, cuz our goal is 1st place.

Default South Korea seeks Olympic berth after 12 years

South Korea's national basketball team is seeking an appearance in the Olympics after 12 years.

The 12-player South Korean team, led by manager Choi Boo-young, will participate in the 24th Asia Championship for Men in Tokushima, Japan and compete for the only ticket assigned to the Asian region to the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

The championship will be held from July 28 to August 5.

South Korea, which hasn't made an appearance in the world games since the Atlanta Olympics in 1996, are drawn into Group D with Hong Kong, Syria and Taiwan.

As host China is promoted automatically into the finals, South Korea is expected to face-off with other favorites like Jordan, Philippines, Syria, Kazakhstan, Taiwan, Japan, Qatar, Lebanon and Iran to become the other Asian qualifier.

``The players are well prepared for the championship. Since the professional league kicked off, Korean basketball has faded in Asia. To stop its slide, every player has become determined,'' said manager Choi at the Inaugural meeting Friday.

Ahead of the Asia Championship, South Korean team tested its players at the William Jones Cup in Taiwan earlier this month.

At the competition, the South Korean team, troubled by key players, Hyun Joo-yup of the LG Sakers, Bang Sung-yoon of the SK Knights, posted a record of 5-4 to place 5th.

The South Korean team under a generational shift is trying to revive its reputation as Asia's No. 2 behind China.

South Korea ranked fourth in the championships in 2005 and fifth at the Doha Asian Games last year.

To return to its old form, the South Korean team is required to solidify their inside play.

South Korea has depended on three-pointers and a heavy offense through the Jones Cup.

When playing against the tall Middle East countries, they opened up the paint zone too easily and were sold on outside shooting despite having big men with good height.

It is a relief that veteran Kim Joo-Sung (205-C-79) is activated from an injury, which prevented him from showing off his skills at the Toronto Raptors' free agent camp.

If Kim and Ha Seung-jin can build a double-post and Kim Min-soo and Lee Dong-joon live up to their expectations, South Korea will have a competitive post.

The other trouble South Korea is all-rounder Lee Kyu-sup's breakaway.

The Samsung Thunders swingman showed solid performances at the Jones Cup but his thigh injury is preventing him from playing in the preliminary round.

As Lee's replacement, manager Choi added inexperienced collegiate player Yoon Ho-young.

To fill the absence, forward Kim Dong-woo and Yang Hee-jong are expected to be alternated.

``I know people worry about the team after the Jones Cup but Kim Joo-sung did not play in most of the games and a few people also suffered injuries. By facing Asian teams at the tournament, we gained confidence. As every player is motivated to make it to the Olympics, we will be able to claim the berth,'' captain and point guard Shin Ki-sung said.

It's Korea and Syria....
    SMART GILAS: all the way

Bad news for chinese taipei their center tsun wen-din might not play for the Taiwan NT due to injury

_________

Another bad news for Taiwan NT, which will head for Tokushima, Japan for the 2007 Asian Championship. Starting center Tsun Wen-Din (203-C-84) is questionable for the tournament because of a right-knee injury, United Daily News reported. Losing two big men, Taiwan NT is now down to only one big man who's over 6-7 -- Wu Dai-hao -- in its entire roster.

Taiwan NT had already lost another designated starter Tien Lei, who had injuries in his hands and knees.

This was obviously not a good news for the team, which will face Syria in the opening game in Tokushima. And I doubt that Tsun's spot will be replaced by head coach Cheng Kwong Hee because it's still possible that Tsun will suit up.

Tsun sustained the injury in a game vs. the Philippines in the Jones Cup and hasn't practiced with the team since the tournament concluded two weeks ago.

Taiwan is scheduled to meet Syria on July 28, Korea on July 29 and Hong Kong on July 30 in the preliminary round. The game vs. Syria will be the most important one if it wants to advance to the quarterfinal.

asia-basket.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast