FIBA-Asia Championship Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIBA-Asia Championship Coaches

I thought it would be a good idea to talk about the coaches of Asian National Teams for FIBA-Asia Championship. Let's discuss the coaching styles, strenghts, and other attributes of the different coaches.

good day!

draggan racca,s strategy : lebanon,s new coach has a new strategy called playing khatib and vogel 38 to 40 minutes a game depending on the score....if theres a 16pt lead for lebanon with 2 minutes left in the game like with lebanon-kazakhaztan/iran than the coach can manage to give them the last 2 minutes off but the main strategy is to play them until their faces turn blue and cant breathe or walk anymore....im sure its the same strategy for brian wen he arrives....the last 2 spots on the court are available for substitution though .....

Comment

Originally posted by karim
      draggan racca,s strategy : lebanon,s new coach has a new strategy called playing khatib and vogel 38 to 40 minutes a game depending on the score....if theres a 16pt lead for lebanon with 2 minutes left in the game like with lebanon-kazakhaztan/iran than the coach can manage to give them the last 2 minutes off but the main strategy is to play them until their faces turn blue and cant breathe or walk anymore....im sure its the same strategy for brian wen he arrives....the last 2 spots on the court are available for substitution though .....

In contrast, Chot Reyes wants to have fresh guys always. He shuffles his players constantly so that he has fresh players all the time.

Comment

Karim what makes Lebanon better than iran and jordan
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

hmmmmm.......look lebanon has always beaten iran and jordan...and the country has been in the WBC twice....but if u wanna speak this year........Lebanon and Jordan are very similar.....their teams are combined of talented locals,players from the outside and a good naturalized player.....but the main difference now is fadi el khatib....this guy can score 30+ every night even if he was double teamed....and hes not like rasheem cuz rasheem cant score more than 15 a game if u double team and does alot of turnovers...fadi has a bigger body than rasheem and has better range on his shooting especially in free throws where fadi shoots aound 85%,rasheem shoots around 55% this is a main point cuz these 2 players will get to the free throw line alot.....another point is that jordan have no true center where zaid el khas is only 205 and plays as center and is not athletic at all...atleast vogel is 210 and can jump a little and has long arms + lebanon is deeper ...in jordan u have rasheem,sam,zaid and ayman these are the good players they have this guy called enver who they use as a 3pt spot shooter but his shooting percentage the last 2 years has been really down....lebanon has fadi,vogel,brian,roy,fahd and ali mahmoud so just a bit deeper........Abt iran they have tall player but thats abt it no talent what so ever...their wings only shoot threes i,ve never seen them slash into the lane....they rely on that along with some agressive defense...lebanon beat their full roster day 1 of the jones cup even though we had no vogel or brian.....theres a game in 20 min between jordan and leb i expect a close game but jordan winning in the end cuz vogel played 39 min last game i dt expect him to play this game and brian will be arriving today so he also wont play this game + the chemistry of the team is still new , the players are now adapting to the coach,s system but all these problems will l be fixed im sure come the asian championship but i expect a big game from fadi today if he plays his usual 40 min cuz last game he played only 18 min and scored no pts so i expect around 25-30 2day........

Comment

hey karim.. pls include RP in the comparison..

lebanon
            iran
            jordan
            philippines
            LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

I thought this thread was about coacheS

we're drifting off already to comparing NT's
              It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
              I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Palma is a very good coach i think... knows how to utilize time to give instructions to his players... his stance and the way he point instructions is similar to Ron Jacobs... and also he's very active and hyper! but i think there's still one thing that he lacks, the art of hiding players! just proves that he doesn't know Asian coaching especially Korea and Japan!
                Impossible is Nothing!!!

Comment

from this tournament i see that RP and Lebanon are better than Jordan cuz we lost against them by 4 and we,re missing players...lebanon beshara and RP seigle......JOrdan,s coach has been coaching them for 1year+ where our coach is with us for 2 weeks and RP,s coach not longer.....and with all that lebanon were up by 7 entering the 4th quarter until khatib decide to sit on the bench the rest of the game....where jordan was so eager to beat us this time.....we beat them once in 1999,once in 2001 4 times in 2005 in less than month(WABA,Abdullah twice and ABC2005)so its kind of like their 1st win agianst us even though it was just a friendly game.......and Iran is weaker than Jordan.....in group A i dont know anything about China but between the 3 other teams they are ranked RP,jordan and than iran......

Comment

Originally posted by apiSigbinz
                    Palma is a very good coach i think... knows how to utilize time to give instructions to his players... his stance and the way he point instructions is similar to Ron Jacobs... and also he's very active and hyper! but i think there's still one thing that he lacks, the art of hiding players! just proves that he doesn't know Asian coaching especially Korea and Japan!
                    Maybe Jordan doesn't have a bench that deep..he's just utilizing all the resources he has.

I remember Coach Chot's philosophy when he was talking about his team Coca Cola Tigers wherein they don't have that much strong players to back his first 5 but they still manage to win a Championship..it's not wanting what you don't have in the team..it's maximizing the resources you have.. (those may not be the exact words but his principles were there) somethin like that.. and that's what Coach Mario Palma is doing.
                    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Jordan NT Head Coach - Mario Palma

Head Coach:
                      1991-1997: Benfica
                      1997-1998: Estrelas
                      1998-1999: Estrelas, left team in Nov.'98 and moved to Primeiro de Agosto (ANG)
                      2001-2002: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
                      2002-2003: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
                      2003-2004: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
                      2005: Desportivo 1. De Agosto Luanda (ANG)
                      2005-2006: Palma Aqua Magica (ESP-LEB), hired in Feb.'06, resigned next month
                      2006-2007: Fastlink (JOR-Excellent League), left in Jan.'07
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Awards/Achievements:
                      Portuguese League Champion -91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 98
                      Portuguese Cup Winner -91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 98
                      Head Coach: Angolan National Team -99-05
                      Olympic Games -00(Sydney), 04(Athens)
                      African Championships -99(Winner), 01(Winner), 03(Winner), 05 (Winner)
                      Angolan League Champion -02, 03, 04, 05
                      World Championships in Indianapolis (USA) -02
                      Luanda Region Finalist -04
                      Angolan Cup Finalist -04
                      Angolan League Regular Season Champion -03, 04
                      Angolan Super Cup Winner -04,05
                      Angolan Cup Winner -05
                      Africabasket.com AllAfrican Championships Best Coach -05
                      African Club Championships -05 (3rd Place)
                      Head Coach: Jordan National Team -06
                      Asian Games in Doha -06 (Semifinals)

Comment

Lebanon NT Head Coach - Dragan Raca

Head Coach:
                        2002-2003: AEL Limassol (CYP)
                        2003-2004: AEL Limassol (CYP-A1)
                        2004-2005: AEL Limassol (CYP-A1), left in May'05
                        2005: In July signed a two-year contract with Iraklis Thessaloniki (GRE-A1)
                        2005-2006: Iraklis Thessaloniki (GRE-A1), in Dec.'05 moved to Sagesse - Al Hekmeh Beirut (LEB-Div.A)
                        2006-2007: Deltalcon APOEL Nicosia (CYP-Division A)
                        2007:Lebanon NT
                        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Awards/Achievements:
                        FIBA Regional Challenge South winner -03
                        Cyprus Cup Final Four -03
                        Cyprus League Champion -03, 04, 05
                        Eurobasket.com All-Cyprus League Coach of the Year -03, 04, 05
                        Cyprus Cup Winner - 04
                        FIBA Europe League All-Star Game -04
                        Cyprus League Regular Season Runner-Up -04, 07
                        Eurobasket All-FIBA EuropeLeague Coach of the Year -04
                        Head Coach: Cyprus National Team -04-05
                        Coach Assistant: FIBA Europe League All-Star Game -05
                        Cyprus League Regular Season Champion -05
                        Lebanese Cup Finalist -06
                        Head Coach: Lebanese National team -07
                        Cyprus League Finalist -07

Comment

Coach Chot Reyes has a secret weapon. Who? Assistant Coach Binky Favis.... The best coach in the Philippine Basketball Association. Just kidding. Seriously, he is a better scout than a coach.
                          "Life is like chess; an art and a struggle."

Comment

With all due respect to other NT coaches, I think, IMHO, Jordan National Team has the best coaching staff coming FIBA-Asia

Aside from multi-titled coach Mario Palma Jordan NT also has multi-titled assistant coaches and scouts Mario Gomes of Portugal and Zoran Dokic of Serbia

Their vast international experience can't be taken for granted

Comment

Originally posted by aklanarcher
                              Coach Chot Reyes has a secret weapon. Who? Assistant Coach Binky Favis.... The best coach in the Philippine Basketball Association. Just kidding. Seriously, he is a better scout than a coach.
                              I agree

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information