11/08 Iran 87 Syria 63
    13/08 Iran 83 Jordan 71
    16/08 Iran 80 Lebanon 70
    19/08 Iran 87 South Korea 81
    20/08 Iran 56 Australia 79

FIBA World Cup Qualifiers

24/11 Iran 66 Iraq 74
    27/11 Iran 65 Qatar 39
    Last edited by Kings; 11-28-2017, 12:36 AM.

TEHRAN (FIBA Asia Cup 2017) - Mehran Hatami has been named the successor to Dirk Bauermann as head coach of the Iran national men's basketball team.

TEHRAN (FIBA Asia Cup 2017) - Mehran Hatami has been named the successor to Dirk Bauermann as head coach of the Iran national men's basketball team. The 52-year-old Hatami played for Team Melli in the Asian Games and FIBA Asia Championships during the 1990s.

Comment

Iran Squad for WABA Champs

Oshin Sahakian
      Arsalan Kazemi
      Rouzbeh Arghavan
      Behnam Yakhchali
      Erfan Nassajpour
      Sajjad Mashayekhi
      Vahid Dalirzahan
      Asghar Kardoust
      Mohammad Jamshidi
      Mohammad Hassanzadeh
      Amir Hossein Khandanpour
      Ehsan Samadi

Coach: Mehran Hatami

Comment

After WABA, the iranian NT has to go to Japan to play two friendlies, they wanted to send the U18 team but Japan didn't accept that and now they have to send the same team to Japan just to satisfy Japan while this is not even a good time for such friendlies ! but this is a free trip after all. Japan will pay everything.

Comment

They called up 17 players to the national camp for the new national season, for playing few friendlies in China. there were rumors that we will see Samad and Kamrani in this list but nothing, atleast not yet.

1. Hamed Haddadi (Petro)
          2. Oshin Sahakian (Petro)
          3. Rouzbeh Arghavan (Petro)
          4. Behnam Yakhchali (Petro)
          5. Mohammad Jamshidi (Petro)
          6. Farid Aslani (Naft)
          7. Sajjad Mashayekhi (Naft)
          8. Asghar Kardoust (Arak)
          9. Navid Niktash (London Lions, BBL)
          10. Ali Allahverdi (Azad)
          11. Mohammad Hassanzadeh (Naft)
          12. Mohammad Yousefvand (Azad)
          13. Navid Rezaeifar (Mahram)
          14. Arsalan Kazemi (Niroo Zamini)
          15. Vahid Dalirzahan (Niroo Zamini)
          16. Amir Sedighi (Chemidor)
          17. Keivan Riaei (Chemidor)

Coach: Mehran Hatami !

Hatami was supposed to be just a caretaker but he is still the coach, I wonder if they are really after a foreign coach or not ?!

Comment

Originally posted by mohsena2631 View Post
            They called up 17 players to the national camp for the new national season, for playing few friendlies in China. there were rumors that we will see Samad and Kamrani in this list but nothing, atleast not yet.

1. Hamed Haddadi (Petro)
            2. Oshin Sahakian (Petro)
            3. Rouzbeh Arghavan (Petro)
            4. Behnam Yakhchali (Petro)
            5. Mohammad Jamshidi (Petro)
            6. Farid Aslani (Naft)
            7. Sajjad Mashayekhi (Naft)
            8. Asghar Kardoust (Arak)
            9. Navid Niktash (London Lions, BBL)
            10. Ali Allahverdi (Azad)
            11. Mohammad Hassanzadeh (Naft)
            12. Mohammad Yousefvand (Azad)
            13. Navid Rezaeifar (Mahram)
            14. Arsalan Kazemi (Niroo Zamini)
            15. Vahid Dalirzahan (Niroo Zamini)
            16. Amir Sedighi (Chemidor)
            17. Keivan Riaei (Chemidor)

Coach: Mehran Hatami !

Hatami was supposed to be just a caretaker but he is still the coach, I wonder if they are really after a foreign coach or not ?!
            Who is this guy? a big who shoot threes, oh no ..
            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

It seems our federation (and Mashhoun in particular) doesn't care much anymore, they didn't hire a foreign coach yet which means Mehran Hatami will coach the team in FIBA Asia Cup. time for a new blood for the IBF. Mashhoun did great in his early years but not anymore.

and btw in a recent interview Hamed Haddadi said he prefer to not play at the FIBA Asia Cup. here are few lines of his interview

Talk about yourself, when you will join the team ?
              * I talked to Mr Mashhoun and he was nice to let me rest so far, it's 50-50 for me to play in FIBA Asia Cup. I asked them if that's possible to let me rest the whole summer to join the NT later for the World Cup qualifiers. My eternal wish was to play for the NT and I was always available for the team. this is my honor to wear the NT shirt . once that was like a dream for me and it's still a valuable dream to play for the national team. but this year I'm a bit injured and has to take care of that.

So you may not play at the FIBA Asia Cup ?
              * I'm not saying this tournament is not important but this is not a qualifier for the World Cup nor the Olympics. still I will try, if I get better I will play with honor but still I prefer to rest this summer.

Without Samad and Kamrani, if you don't join the team we won't have the "golden generation" in Asia after ten years ?
              * I will play for the NT as long as I can, even Samad is always saying he still wants to play. but that was coach's decision to not call him up. he is one of the best, always played in highest level. to me whoever is good should play for the NT (no matter how old) He did a lot for the country and the national team, he was our captain for years and had important roles in our previous victories. but if they want to put him away ,,, I don't know what to call this but they could do it in a better way (with more respect)

What do you think about the coach ? Mehran Hatami or a foreign coach ?
              Next question please !

what about Australia and New Zealand being in Asia ?
              This is good for basketball, we may lose at first but the more we play with stronger teams the better we become.

Comment

I think the young guys would be the best bet to beat nz and australia in the future and not Haddadi that why 2017 tournmanet should be a transition one (as eventually they will make 2021 tournmaent to be more prestigious once they learn the pros and cons of home and away qualifiers), i still believe that home and away could be an olympic qualifier and as wildcard tournamaent to the ones who didnt win a medal in continental tournaments. But still the qualifiers thru continental championships cannot treat the home and away lightly as the best home and away record qualifies them to olympics..

Comment

I agree with Haddadi, the Asian Cup is a meaningless tournament now, players with nagging injuries shouldn't risk their careers in this tournament. Big men especially are going to break down easily without adequate rest, just look at Yao Ming. Besides, you can't play Haddadi forever, it's very likely he'll still be the best Iranian player at age 40, but one day he'll be gone and the sooner you are used to this the better.

However, I also understand the position of the Iranian federation, because without Haddadi the Iranian offense will change dramatically, from great to mediocre (kind of like China without Yao). I watched a few of Iran's games in China. They lost 2 of 3 games against China Red, which is also an unimpressive team. Iran's defense is still solid and they still rebound great. But offense is a problem. Sahakian didn't come either, the bigs were Arghavan and Kazemi. If I'm not mistaken, neither has any low-post game, Arghavan likes to hang around the elbow setting screens and Kazemi lurks around the baseline or perimeter only interested in offensive rebounds. Of course, nowadays a team doesn't need low post players to carry out an offense, but you need to have talented perimeter players who can break down the defense, and I'm afraid Iran do not have them. The perimeter guys that went to China don't have a quick first step and when picks don't work, they have to take tough shots like they are Kobe Bryant or Stephen Curry. The point guard Mashayekhi has talent, but at this stage he's not good enough. Leave him space, like in a fast break, he can be very creative, but put pressure on him, especially if you appear to double-team him, he'll immediately pick up his dribble. In Game 1, Iran ran a lot of pick-and-rolls and that's how they beat China Red. In Games 2 and 3, especially Game 3, China Red improved on defending pick and rolls and Iran really struggled that game offensively. If they had Haddadi they could have beaten China Red easily.
                  Last edited by sinobball; 07-06-2017, 07:29 PM.
                  aim low, score high

Comment

But why in the world would Iran think that Argavhan is the answer in their center position moving forward?

Comment

I don't understand why some people here think that because it's not a qualification, federation don't have to send their best players. It's an official cup, it's the Asian cup ! In football every team send their best players (Euro, Asian cup, Copa America, Can) to win it because you are champion of your continent for 4 years, etc.
                      So that's how i see it : every NT who can win it without their two or three main players can rest them. it's ok as long as you are competitive and can win it whithout them but come on except Australia and China no Asian teams can go without their 3 best players and win it. It's a NT competition not a friendly tournament ! I will always send my best players to the NT. No matter the age of my best players (they can be 17 or 38, i don't care). What matters me is how can I win it ? And not I have to send youngsters for the future. Maybe Iran will never have the chance to win it anymore so more you can win it better is for your country !

Comment

Originally posted by Lebasketball View Post
                        I don't understand why some people here think that because it's not a qualification, federation don't have to send their best players. It's an official cup, it's the Asian cup ! In football every team send their best players (Euro, Asian cup, Copa America, Can) to win it because you are champion of your continent for 4 years, etc.
                        So that's how i see it : every NT who can win it without their two or three main players can rest them. it's ok as long as you are competitive and can win it whithout them but come on except Australia and China no Asian teams can go without their 3 best players and win it. It's a NT competition not a friendly tournament ! I will always send my best players to the NT. No matter the age of my best players (they can be 17 or 38, i don't care). What matters me is how can I win it ? And not I have to send youngsters for the future. Maybe Iran will never have the chance to win it anymore so more you can win it better is for your country !
                        We love being tagged best in asia, but we have also an "itch" to fight our idols, nba stars, world class nt's, although in reality we get close losses not because were that good but we cause we played hard even if the game isnt winnable, thats why we prioritize to qualify in World Cup and to have the best players available that time, there is possibility that we might sacrifice preparation or even participation of some of our best talents. Its inevitable for us now..

Even me as a Filipino I want Fadi to win an Asian championship before he hang his sneakers what more the lebanese at their own soil..
                        Last edited by reamily; 07-07-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

For me you are for sure in the top 3 in Asia.
                          You are number one for your love for the game. It's just unbelievable how you love basketball (We are maybe number 2 in Asia but we are still faaar away from you).
                          Gilas is surely the team who play with the most energy (playing hard, running). I had the chance to see your team in Fiba stankovic cup in Lebanon and it was quite impressive.
                          In the last 4 years, you were the best ambassador of the Asian continent.
                          I love basketball so i can't but just love Philippines NT.
                          But to stay on topic.
                          My wish is to meet Iran in the final ( just for the revenge ).
                          My heart wants Philippines.
                          But to be realistic i see an Australian-Chinese final.

Comment

For me you are for sure in the top 3 in Asia.
                            You are number one for your love for the game. It's just unbelievable how you love basketball (We are maybe number 2 in Asia but we are still faaar away from you).
                            Gilas is surely the team who play with the most energy (playing hard, running). I had the chance to see your team in Fiba stankovic cup in Lebanon and it was quite impressive.
                            In the last 4 years, you were the best ambassador of the Asian continent.
                            I love basketball so i can't but just love Philippines NT.
                            But to stay on topic.
                            My wish is to meet Iran in the final ( just for the revenge ).
                            My heart wants Philippines.
                            I dont see any grit for china in this tournament, maybe we can see after our "first" game..

Australia will be ahving their nbl guys who are 2016 olympians, they will leave a message by trying to be the inaugural champion..

A lot of sentiment for you guys in this tournament this is unlike 2015 where you just came from a suspension and expectations "internally" (because I am sure lebanese fans will never settle anything less than a finals appearance) is low that time, you didnt even fight your right to play in OQT (Iam sure in our country the sbp leaders would be chastised publicly by not giving them opportunity to see our gilas fight the best in the world..)

Comment

Australia-New Zealand final is a lot more likely in my opinion, but we'll have a better idea when the rosters are announced.

You can't compare basketball with football, because Europe/South America rules football while USA is the absolute king in basketball. In football, FIFA World Cup is the premiere event by far. In basketball, NBA rules. Few Americans watch international basketball compared to their domestic basketball (NBA/NCAA). (Perhaps I should say few Americans follow ANY international tournaments.) When USA hosted the 2002 FIBA World Championships the seats were almost empty. Can you imagine Brazil hosting a World Cup with nobody attending? When the best country in basketball doesn't care that much about FIBA (remember USA sent D-league level teams in many Americas tournaments) you can't blame the other countries for not following suit.

But this discussion is probably better suited for another thread somewhere....
                              aim low, score high

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information