Promising Philippine Football Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promising Philippine Football Prospects

Remember Basketball Player JAYVEE GAYOSO? Well his son now has the potential to be the next Phil Younghusband of Philippine Football

Jarvey Gayoso: The Rising Son

By Rick Olivares, contributor (philstar.com) | Updated January 10, 2017 - 11:47am

MANILA, Philippines — Second-generation stars seem to be the norm now as they are finding their place if not having cemented their place in sports.

You have the Ravenas, Tengs, Alases, to name a very select few. There’s one though – whose name is spoken about as many of his games aren’t televised. And that harkens back to a bygone age when reputations spread by word of mouth.

“Have you seen Jayvee Gayoso’s son play?” Jayvee Gayoso, who won championships with the Ateneo Blue Eaglets and Blue Eagles, was a key player for the 1990s Ginebra teams – you know, was the first collegiate star to get his own commercial (Milo, if you remember that from the 1980s).

Oh, the son is playing basketball too?

Not exactly.

Jarvey Gayoso, standing six-foot-one and in his second year in college, is continuing to make a name for himself — in football.

He’s been delivering crazy and pitch perfect passes. He’s been scoring. And well, people have been raving. In fact, several UAAP schools tried to get him to take his talents outside Loyola Heights for college.

“I was introduced to football in kindergarten” he said. “My mom allowed me to play in a football camp and it went well. It didn’t take much for me to fall in love with the sport.”

The young Gayoso would also go to his father’s basketball camps, but he was never pressured to follow in his basketball footsteps, although Jay also excelled in football and track and field.

His father though glows about his son’s potential in basketball. “He’s got the height and the smarts,” glowed the father as he took in last summer’s FilOil basketball tourney. Not to mention the genes.

It isn’t only the father with any sporting pedigree. Jarvey’s grand father, is none other than the late great Ed Ocampo who aside from starring for Ateneo in the 1950s was also named Mr. Football and Mr. Basketball while also representing the Philippines in the Olympics. His other uncle, is Alvin Ocampo, who starred for La Salle’s football team where he also won championships and also suited up for the national team.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://www.philstar.com/sports/2017/...oso-rising-son)
    Philippine Football News on Facebook

rhk111's Military and Arms Page

Jarvey Gayoso: The Alpha and Omega of Ateneo’s Golden Run

LORENZO DEL CARMEN
    1 DAY AGO

Late in the first half, Ateneo striker Jarvey Gayoso intercepted a pass from FEU midfielder Paolo Bugas and unleashed a powerful shot against goalkeeper Ray Joyel who in turn saved it.

Not to be denied, Gayoso rebounded the ball into the net after 38 minutes of action to hand the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles a 1-0 lead against the Far Eastern University Tamaraws in the UAAP Season 79 Men’s Football Tournament Finals.

That goal ended up as the only one scored in the match, and summed up Gayoso as the alpha and the omega of the Blue Eagles’ sixth UAAP title, as he had scored Ateneo’s first and last goals of the season.

“That was a God-given goal for me. We just utilized and we just made the most of what happened. I’m glad that we’re still given the championship,” explained the striker.

“It’s a beautiful season for Ateneo.”

Sports runs in Gayoso’s genes.

The Ateneo standout is the grandson of Olympian Ed Ocampo, son of former Brangay Ginebra cager Jayvee Gayoso, and nephew of La Salle and Azkals player Alvin Ocampo. It has been a long time coming, but the Season 79 MVP and Best Striker finally got the championship that has eluded him since his days as a Blue Eaglet.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/jarve...lden-run/84795)

Comment

Phenom with Pedigree

Sporting excellence runs in his blood, but Jarvey Gayoso is ready to carve his own niche as the country’s next homegrown football wizard

By: Cedelf P. Tupas - Reporter / @cedelfptINQ
      Philippine Daily Inquirer / 12:38 AM May 21, 2017

It has been a long day at school for Jarvey Gayoso, but he’s not done yet. On this Friday afternoon, fresh from an exam at the Ateneo campus, he takes the LRT from Katipunan in Quezon City to Vito Cruz in Manila for the national Under-22 team’s training at Rizal Memorial Stadium.

He may be racing against time, but there’s hardly a hint of panic in the young man, much like the calmness he shows when he’s in front of the goal—he found the back of the net 12 times for Ateneo in the men’s football tournament of UAAP Season 79.

Standing six feet, Gayoso—a third-generation athlete—is nimble and slippery, wiggling out of tight spaces without losing possession. He runs like a gazelle and spots a pass a second ahead of a play.

“If I had a teammate like Jarvey (up front), I would love to give long balls to him,” says uncle and former national team defender Alvin Ocampo. “When he sees the space, he will run to it and finish off the play.”

Jarvey has always played at a level beyond his years, but it wasn’t until early this month when he finally lifted the first major trophy of his career— the UAAP men’s football crown. It also capped a sensational season that saw him collect best striker and Most Valuable Player honors.

“It’s a bit overwhelming because I’ve been trying to give Ateneo a championship for the past five years,” says Jarvey.

He got plenty of help from teammates and was guided by a brilliant young coach in JP Merida, but there was no denying Jarvey’s prodigious talents in the tournament, where he scored his team’s last three goals en route to the school’s first championship since 2013.

Sporting excellence runs in Jarvey’s blood. His grandfather, Ed Ocampo, is a former Mr. Football in the 1950s and Mr. Basketball in the 1960s. Jarvey’s father, Jayvee, is a former Ateneo basketball star who became a solid rotation player in the PBA’s most popular team, Ginebra, in the 1990s.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://sports.inquirer.net/249194/phenom-with-pedigree)

Comment

Jarvey Gayoso

by Kirby G. Jalandoni • Published 20 August, 2017 at 12:30 AM
        from the April 2017 print issue of "The Guidon"

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Email this to someone
        IN THE dying moments of added time in the late-April match between Ateneo and the National University (NU) Bulldogs in the University Athletics Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 78, the Blue Eagles found themselves down 2-3 thanks to a 90th minute goal by Bulldog Marvin Viray. With it being the last game of the elimination round, the Katipunan-based squad desperately needed at least a draw to keep their Final Four hopes alive. A loss would have plummeted the Ateneo Men’s Football Team (AMFT) down to fifth in the standings and the late go-ahead goal by the Bulldogs had seemingly sent the team packing.

Jarvey Gayoso, however, was having none of that. Ateneo’s last ditch efforts resulted to the Bulldogs conceding a free kick a couple of yards beyond the penalty box. The then-rookie, who had scored from a free kick earlier in the game, went up to the spot and powerfully sent the ball to the upper right corner, rocketing past the keeper and into the back of the net. Gayoso’s magnificent stoppage-time goal proved to be the deciding factor in Ateneo’s championship aspirations, and was the defining moment in Season 78 for the freshman striker.

After the departures of midfield ace Mikko Mabanag and the team’s second leading scorer Mashu Yoshioka, Gayoso was pegged to be the leading man in the youth-filled squad of Season 79. Not much was expected from the squad this year due to the inexperienced and rookie-laden roster, but the team shocked many by finishing the elimination round at the top of the table. The sophomore striker’s inspired play has been a big part of the AMFT’s surprise ascension.

Gayoso has consistently been the leading the pack in terms of production. His goal-scoring prowess has been evident with eight goals in 10 games, but he has also had a knack for distributing the ball more this season. He has been among the league leaders in assists, proving that he does more than scoring goals.

“I know that it’s not just scoring that will help my team, but also by being able to help my teammates also get into the scoresheet,” Gayoso explains.

The system implemented by coach JayPee Merida this season has also played towards the forward’s strengths. The team uses a 3-5-2 shape, a defensive formation that emphasizes the use of the counter attack. This is where Gayoso has been especially been potent this season, as his pace and dribbling down the field has fit this free style of play. The Blue Eagles are most dangerous when the ball is on his feet during the counter; the combination of his vision and scoring ability strikes fear on the opposing defenders.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: http://www.theguidon.com/1112/main/2...jarvey-gayoso/)

Comment

Our Youth Football teams have not been at par with the rest of South East Asia for a long time now, it's obvious they need better Coaches, better Training and maybe even better Training Materials or Aids. These might help, though ... https://www.facebook.com/49530982752...2324701493071/

Comment

Something you don't get to see everyday: Fil-For GERRIT HOLTMANN scores his first goal in the Bundesliga ever in a losing cause for FSV Mainz against FC Augsburg recently.

This guy must be awesome, I hope to see him play for the Azkals soon ...

Comment

NEXT BIG THING: Is Jarvey Gayoso Bound for Philippine Football Greatness?

By Santino Honasan on Apr 10, 2018 04:27 PM

"From the very beginning, I've always dreamed about playing in the highest league and playing in the highest competition possible, for the Philippines, for the country. I will never stop visualizing it because it will make me want it more, so that's the dream."

When the Philippine Azkals took on Tajikistan back in late-March, sitting in the stands was someone who was somewhat more than just a fan.

An interested observer, who was, possibly looking at what the future holds for him.

And when the Philippine National Team eventually made history by defeating their Tajik visitors, it simply fueled this fan’s desire to one day, be on the other side, looking up at the stands.

Ateneo football star Jarvey Gayoso was among the 4,600 fans in attendance at the Rizal Memorial Football Stadium to see the Azkals take the biggest step in Philippine football history: qualifying for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. It will the the Philippines’ first time to make the prestigious Asian football tournament.

For years, the Asian Cup had been the dream. On March 27th, that dream became reality.

“I was able to witness everything that happened, except for one goal, I was basically there, and the vibe and the whole experience of making history, of being part of the [AFC Asian Cup] in UAE, it was breathtaking, it was chilling.” Jarvey said. “This is the biggest step since 2010 I believe, for Philippine football, and it was inspiring to see, I was very inspired, I was in awe of the players that were so deserving of this opportunity.”

For the reigning UAAP Men’s Football MVP, getting to see the Azkals go out and take care of business on the biggest match in Philippine football, it was exciting.

It motivated Jarvey to want to get to that level even more.

“It made me want it more. I gave purpose to why I’m doing this, It gave purpose to the hard work that I’ve been putting out in the field.”

“From the very beginning, I’ve always dreamed about playing in the highest league and playing in the highest competition possible, for the Philippines, for the country. I will never stop visualizing it because it will make me want it more, so that’s the dream. Hopefully one day, I’ll be able also to play for them, with them.” Jarvey added.

Jarvey has had some experience with the national team before, playing alongside the likes of Phil and James Younghusband in a series of friendlies in Taiwan.

But of course, friendlies and major tournaments are two different things.

In terms of representing the country, Jarvey wants more.

“I still believe that there’s more for me to give to the country and to the team.”

Pitch Phenom

Few athletes have had as much impact on the UAAP as Jarvey has had this early in his career.

In just two years, the 21-year old already has a pair of Best Striker awards, and with 15 goals in 12 matches so far this season, he’s on track for a third one.

“Jarvey’s a really talented player. Pag hindi mo siya pinag-aralan, mag-sscore talaga siya ng mag-sscore.” says Ateneo head coach Jaypee Merida. “Si Jarvey, iba talaga siya eh. Yung scoring talaga niya, for me, iniisip lagi namin ng mga coaches, parang in-born sa kanya yung scoring.”

Jarvey will be the first to admit that he is looking to score all the time, simply because that’s what he’s out there to do, but it isn’t all about making a name for himself or getting is name across the record books.

For Jarvey, scoring is a way of giving back to his team.

“Personally, it is one of my goals to live my UAAP career known as the best striker, but in the team, it is my role, it is one of my ways of contributing to the team and giving back to the hard work of the team, by doing my best with ball on top of the field, on top of the box,”

“I guess, from the many years that I’ve been playing, I’ve always just been determined to score, not just for my self but for the team also. It’s a good feeling to know that the hard work in training has paid off on the field, so it’s just really my way of giving back to the team.” he continued.

And while it’s an honor to be known as an elite scorer, ask any athlete and they’ll tell you that they’re in the game for an even bigger prize.

Not everyone can be scorers. Not everyone can be champions.

Jarvey belongs in an even smaller group that can say they’re both.

Aside from getting a second-consecutive Best Striker nod, Season 79 saw Jarvey lead the Blue Eagles to their first UAAP Men’s Football title since UAAP Season 75. Not to mention being named Season MVP.

Now, on his third year in the league, he’s looking at a third consecutive scoring title, and if everything goes Ateneo’s way, possibly even back-to-back championships and MVP honors.

Already a pretty impressive resumé for someone who’s just three years into the league.

And as collegiate sports continues to grow even more popular in the country, so do the athletes who have managed to capture the fans’ attention with their talent, much like Jarvey has done.

On social media, people have begun attaching the label of “phenom” to Jarvey, something that the likes of volleyball stars Alyssa Valdez, Marck Espejo, and basketball star Kiefer Ravena have all shared.

While it’s flattering for someone who plays a sport that doesn’t get as much exposure in the country as basketball or volleyball, Jarvey knows better than to let it get to his head.

“I don’t really think about it, I know there’s still a lot for me to achieve, and I think that’s the scary thing about being tagged as a phenom, one tends to be complacent or not as hungry anymore, but looking at the likes of Kiefer Ravena and Alyssa Valdez, who still strive, I image myself as one of them, who would never seek to just stay where they are, to always be hungry for more, and of course, I shouldn’t let it get into my head, and I just focus on my game.”

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: https://sports.abs-cbn.com/uaap/news...m-dreams-40113)

Comment

Jarvey Gayoso, Enzo Ceniza Face Diverging Paths

Published 2 days ago on May 1, 2018
                By Brian Tamayao

“I never lose. I either win or learn.”

Nelson Mandela’s statement couldn’t be truer for the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles, who were denied a third consecutive finals appearance in the UAAP Men’s Football tournament following a shock exit at the hands of the University of Santo Tomas Golden Booters in the semifinal round last Thursday at the Rizal Memorial Stadium.

Just last season, the Blue Eagles eliminated their counterparts from España en route to securing a title they had failed to win at the final hurdle in Season 78. There was no déjà vu for both sides this time around as the Tigers exacted revenge on the Ateneans via an extra time winner converted by Conrado Dimacali.

After the match, instrumental players Jarvey Gayoso and Enzo Ceniza took time to offer their thoughts after being neutralized by the determined UST team coached by Marjo Allado. In their team’s first 14 games, the duo have dealt huge damage to their opponents. Gayoso netted 15 goals in the whole of the elimination round, while Ceniza made the potent Ateneo frontline tick by running plays in midfield.

For both of them, and most of their teammates, this was the first time they didn’t reach the final. Some players experienced the defeat to University of the Philippines in Season 78, while a few got to experience winning the championship in the first attempt when the Blue Eagles won it all a season after.

Gayoso’s Lesson
                As Ateneo faced a semifinal exit since 2015, Gayoso believed that the setback could only benefit their development as players. He, for one, cited a couple of aspects of his game that still need vast improvement. One of them is playing better with his weak foot.

“I know everybody expects me to be lethal on my left foot so my right foot has to be at least more threatening to them,” the leading scorer of UAAP Season 80 admitted.

One of the most difficult to mark in the competition, Gayoso had tormented opposing defenses with his quickness and killer instinct in front of goal. Yet for 120 minutes on a hot Thursday afternoon, the left-footed striker couldn’t break the Tigers’ resolve.

“Full credit to UST. They defended me well, they saw the movement that I’d make in the game,” Gayoso stated after absorbing his first loss in the UAAP men’s football tournament semifinal.

A team they had eliminated in the same stage last season, UST simply did not want to fall once again to the Ateneans, and as far as Gayoso is concerned, it clearly showed over the course of the game.

“They really wanted it, they were very eager to get back at us from last year’s semi-finals match and I guess they had a bigger heart, that’s why they got it,” he uttered.

(Article intentionally cut, to read more go to: https://tiebreakertimes.com.ph/tbt/j...g-paths/115368)

Comment

Here we provide some best Whatsapp modified Apks which is the best alternative and GBWhatsapp have Extra features

Comment

news

This is an One place for Latest News and Technology Tips & Tricks for 7starHD

Comment

Working...
                    X

Debug Information