Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Rubio : The Next Pistol Pete / Drazen

He's the youngest player ever being "Spanish MVP" of a round in ACB history
    I KISS BASKET

after a few years in the NBA, i bet he'll be better than Calderon. only thing calderon over rubio is experience which he got from international games and the NBA. still, its rubio > calderon.

// 11 December 2007

If you're good enough, you're old enough.

That's the message Spain coach Pepu Hernandez gave this week when talking about the possibility of DKV Joventut sensation Ricky Rubio playing at the Beijing Olympics.

The 1.9m Rubio, who only turned 17 on October 21, has led DKV to 10 wins in their 11 games in the ACB - the toughest league in Europe.

He is averaging 14.4 points in 24 minutes per contest.

"I really like the fact that there is a debate regarding which players will be included in the team," said Hernandez, who led Spain to gold at the 2006 FIBA World Championship and silver at this year's EuroBasket in Madrid.

"I want to have problems when selecting the team as I don't want a closed team, hence young players and new players can always be included."

There are three big reasons why Rubio may not make the trip to Beijing, though, and their names are Jose Calderon, Carlos Cabezas and Sergio Rodriguez.

Calderon is on the verge of superstardom with the Toronto Raptors while Cabezas is a veteran playmaker with leading European side Unicaja Malaga and Rodriguez a reserve with the Portland Trail Blazers.

"Ricky is mature and that gives everyone enthusiasm," Hernandez said.

"The national team is not a question of age and the group needs new players.

"It's true that Ricky could be at the Olympics but we cannot forget that we have great players already in his position."
    http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_WI0u,B...leMode_on.html
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Nice article here comparing Rubio's last season with the season so far.

Translation:

"With 10 rounds played so far in regular season, there are only two players in ACB who have managed to score at least 10 points in 11 games: Ricky Rubio and Marc Gasol. Besides showing some great steadiness, the extremely young guard has scored 158 points in ACB this year, one point ahead of the total score in 33 games in regular season last year. He also improved all statistical elements of the game

Although he's 17 years old, Ricky Rubio has already played more than two seasons in ACB for a total of 68 games. In his second full season in ACB, the guard is showing great steadiness, as well as an improvement in all statistical elements of the game. In fact, Rubio, who scored 11 points in the last round in Seville [where he got injured and played just 14 minutes, scoring 11 points], has already a total score of 158 points, exactly one point ahead of the total score in regular season last year.
    The most amazing fact is his point improvement, almost ten more points than his average last season, as well as his 18.6 index rating, 10.4 more than his numbers last season. In shot percentage (free throws, 2-point and 3-point shots) his improvement is also amazing."

Check the tables there for a more comprehensive analysis of his season last year and this year and his steadiness so far. Absolutely amazing! And he's just playing 4 minutes more than last season...
    Artificial Nature

Lets say it clear:
    Ricky with only 17 years, is right now one of the best pg's of the world's second best league. As simple as that and as really impressive as that. This kid dosnt stop to amaze me.
    I KISS BASKET

Curiously enough, I think we have a doppelgänger case between Pete and Ricky (well, except for Ricky's curved nose ):

Artificial Nature

So, we could correlate face form to basketball abilities....

Nice pics Rik!

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur
    Have you guys checked Rubio's stats as of late?

ACB (7 games played):
    14.1 ppg
    3.1 apg
    2.9 spg
    2.4 rpg
    60% FG
    35% 3pt
    89% FT
    24 mpg
    Some more games played, 24 to be exact and his stats are:

11.9 ppg
    4 apg
    2.3 spg
    3.5 rpg
    50% FG
    34% 3pt
    80% FT
    Artificial Nature

He is third in ranking...

Now the defenses are much more on him and its more diffcicult for him to find a good place to shoot. Also it looks sometimes like he could be a little "tired2, but i cant really confirm this, its just an impression.
    Anyway and saying again that he's just 17, and as damelo said, he's 3rd in ranking of the ACB, well, we all are already impressed, arent we?
    I KISS BASKET

Rubio became the youngest player in ACB history to make part of a season's ideal 5 in a vote made by fans, journalists, coaches and players.
    Artificial Nature

Is it true that he will not leave his contract until 2011?

Well, you never know, but, as experience proves with player in Spain, they stay for a while in their club. So, I really don't expect him to go to the draft before this year, maybe a little later...
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Ricky, 17 years old, will become the second youngest player to join the Spanish NT in the 2008 Olympics (the first one was Corbalán).
    Artificial Nature

Default The Next Ricky Rubio

This kid could be the Ricky Rubio ... of Spanish (Valencia) and Filipino origin now residing in Toronto, Canada. Plays the point guard position really well for his age. I've included some videos from when he was 10 and now that he just turned 12. Started playing varsity ball for La Salle Greenhills in Manila at age 7 ... now plays for CanSix in Toronto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC0_GdD_Nps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmmiz...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QMI...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtauDURAtXM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QMIesVS-Q

Cheers!

this kid is amazing... my next idol..

Spain is so lucky they will still have the next Spanish NBA superstar already
    It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
    I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Well, let's ad a line to what he's done at 17...

Sliver medalist, and he proved Chris Paul is not too much for him, which is quite of a preformance too.
    He's drove the Americans mad when he wanted. He is just a little better than what I expected from him.
    It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

This kid has great potential. It's scary how much he's developed and matured over the past year. I hope he continues like this and for sure he'll be one of the greatest European players soon.

Ricky Rubio should be the next Jason Kidd. The next pistol Pete is does not make sense because Rubio is not a scorer is a good pg.

Next Steve Nash. Not Pistol Pete. This guy is a better playmaker than scorer (as of no), and that's what sets him apart. At any rate, he'll be a lottery pick next year.
    Keep running, big boy.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast