No announcement yet.

Portuguese league 2007/08 - results and news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUts as a curiosity, what MOncho refers when he says "foreigners", non-portuguese? or non EU-citizen?
    I would think that to stablish a number of portuguese players in the roster or even i the court sould benefit the league, we all saw it on Spain and it didnt work bad. But lets not foret that foreigners are also needed, even more if they are talented, cause when you play against and with god players, yo become better too, that could benefit the rest of portugiese players of the teams imo.

And my prediction in the cup:

Q1: Guimarães vs Física Torres Vedras
    Q2: Ovarense vs CAB

4th April
    Q3: Barreirense vs Porto
    Q4: Ginásio vs Benfica

5th April
    S1: Guimarães vs Ovarense
    S2: Porto vs Ginásio

6th April
    Ovarense - Porto

I know im not very original in these predictions
    I KISS BASKET

Comment

• Originally posted by Neozyrus
      JUts as a curiosity, what MOncho refers when he says "foreigners", non-portuguese? or non EU-citizen?
      I would think that to stablish a number of portuguese players in the roster or even i the court sould benefit the league, we all saw it on Spain and it didnt work bad. But lets not foret that foreigners are also needed, even more if they are talented, cause when you play against and with god players, yo become better too, that could benefit the rest of portugiese players of the teams imo.

And my prediction in the cup:

Q1: Guimarães vs Física Torres Vedras
      Q2: Ovarense vs CAB

4th April
      Q3: Barreirense vs Porto
      Q4: Ginásio vs Benfica

5th April
      S1: Guimarães vs Ovarense
      S2: Porto vs Ginásio

6th April
      Ovarense - Porto

I know im not very original in these predictions
      I agree with them

I think he's referring essentially to American players, the league is plagued with them. Some years ago there was an "invasion" of players from Spain and the Balkans, but it suddenly stopped I don't know why. Here there's still the old thought that if you're American you're good at basketball. The contrary is shown over and over again with players being released just after some games. I think the problem is in scouting. With all the strong ties with Brazil, why are there so few Brazilian players here? I don't get it.
      I agree with you, (good) foreign players always rise the level, but the current situation where 4 foreign players are allowed, often making the starting line-up and playing many minutes, is just unbearable. Clubs bet on foreigns and not on Portuguese players in a total unbalanced way. I totally agree with Moncho of course. Hopefully the success in last year's Eurobasket will turn things around and make some people wake up.
      Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
      Artificial Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by rikhardur
        I agree with them

I think he's referring essentially to American players, the league is plagued with them. Some years ago there was an "invasion" of players from Spain and the Balkans, but it suddenly stopped I don't know why. Here there's still the old thought that if you're American you're good at basketball. The contrary is shown over and over again with players being released just after some games. I think the problem is in scouting. With all the strong ties with Brazil, why are there so few Brazilian players here? I don't get it.
        I agree with you, (good) foreign players always rise the level, but the current situation where 4 foreign players are allowed, often making the starting line-up and playing many minutes, is just unbearable. Clubs bet on foreigns and not on Portuguese players in a total unbalanced way. I totally agree with Moncho of course. Hopefully the success in last year's Eurobasket will turn things around and make some people wake up.
        Yes, u r absolutely right. First of all, the problem could be in scouting as u say, in USA there are good players and bad players, as in any other country, the main issue imo could be that the clubs, if doent have much money to spend (as i suppose), it would be very difficult for them to scout players for the other side of the ocean, except as u say with Brazil, (c´mon LEB and LEB2 are plenty of good brazilian players, so it cant be that difficult to find them).

But hey, in Europe if you havent money there are many good players playing in minor leagues all around Europe (Sundov was platying in Cypruss 2 months ago, or, for example, for what i know, im sure that some of the best players of LEB and LEB2 are affordable for all portuguese clubs, and most of them could do more than a decent performance in the Portugal imo). From that places, you can get both good americans and europeans, if u cant scout, theres no need to go really far to find the players.

The spanish system i truly believe that isnt bad at all, a fixed number of protuguese, european and foriegn players (imo the ideal number should be 2 or 3) could be a great solution ad could help a lot to develop some good portuguese players.
        An btw, if i hadnt many money, i would trust more in ex-yu players than in American ones, that in many cases, just come to these small leagues to develop themselves and not to help the team ( i saw it quite a lot of times in LEB Gold and Silver).
        Last edited by Neozyrus; 03-27-2008, 08:51 PM.
        I KISS BASKET

Comment

The spanish system i truly believe that isnt bad at all, a fixed number of protuguese, european and foriegn players (imo the ideal number should be 2 or 3) could be a great solution ad could help a lot to develop some good portuguese players.
          An btw, if i hadnt many money, i would trust more in ex-yu players than in American ones, that in many cases, just come to these small leagues to develop themselves and not to help the team ( i saw it quite a lot of times in LEB Gold and Silver).
          Yes, that would certainly be a good solution. A few years ago I remember some pretty decent Euro players in LCB and Spanish ones like Cargol, Aldama, Toledo, Lleal, Ruf, T. Jofresa and others. Some balance just has to be achieve in order to raise the league's level and the level of Portuguese players in general.
          Artificial Nature

Comment

• Round 21

Vagos 86 vs CAB 97
            Lusitânia 63 Belenenses 94
            Porto 69 Ovarense 75
            Barreirense 82 Ginásio 79

With one game to end the regular season, Ovarense became the regular season champion.
            Artificial Nature

Comment

• Round 21 MVP

José Costa (CAB):

31 pts (2-2 FG, 4-9 3pt, 15-15 FT)
              5 assists
              5 steals
              (31 minutes on court)
              Artificial Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by rikhardur
                Porto 69 Ovarense 75

With one game to end the regular season, Ovarense became the regular season champion.
                A great victory in Porto's court. That could be some kind of premonition in the final?

Anyway, why Porto almost only played with 6 players? The coach doesnt really trust in the rest?
                Btw, i miss watching Nuno Marcal in Spain. At least i can see that he's still at a good level.
                I KISS BASKET

Comment

A great victory in Porto's court. That could be some kind of premonition in the final?

Anyway, why Porto almost only played with 6 players? The coach doesnt really trust in the rest?
                  Btw, i miss watching Nuno Marcal in Spain. At least i can see that he's still at a good level.
                  Yes, it could certainly be a premonition. It was a surprising win for Ovarense considering their change of coach and subpar performances recently.
                  Good question, I really don't know what they played with 6 players only, perhaps it was a technical decision.
                  Yes, Marçal is still in great shape, one of the best Portuguese players ever, definitely
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

• Portuguese Cup

Results of the 2 first quarter-final games:

Guimarães 77 Física de Torres Vedras 75
                    Ovarense 80 CAB 65

The other two games of the quarter-finals will be played today:

Barreirense vs Porto
                    Ginásio vs Benfica
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

• Portuguese Cup

Results of the other two quarter-final games:

Barreirense 66 vs Porto 84
                      Ginásio 61 vs Benfica 44

The games of the semi-finals were played today and surprisingly Ovarense is out of the final

Porto 81 vs Ginásio 57
                      Guimarães 75 vs Ovarense 74

The final is tomorrow: Guimarães vs Porto
                      Last edited by rikhardur; 04-06-2008, 11:14 PM.
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

• Portuguese Cup

Guimarães took the Cup For those who don't know, Guimarães plays in Proliga (sort of semi-professional 2nd division). A great deed definitely! A free throw by Carlos Flechas with 2.6 seconds to go sealed the victory.

Guimarães 65 Porto 64

(Eddie Tommie 27 pts + 11 rebs + 2 blocks, Pedro Azevedo 18 pts, Pedro Tavares 9 pts | Nuno Marçal 18 pts + 7 rebs, Frederick Gentry 16 pts + 7 rebs, Julian Terrell 11 pts + 5 rebs).

MVP: Eddie Tommie

Full stats available here.

Artificial Nature

Comment

• I simply cannot believe it!!, a team coming from the secod division defeated fairly Ovrense and Porto to win the cup!!. Im much more than impressed. Only for this, all his players should be one way or another, at least, in the first division next year.

And this makes me think, if it is a team capable of defeating these teams in a really important competition like this one, if they really have this level, it approaches dangerously to a really ACB-level team

My most sincere congratulations for them, things like this one (and we have many examples this year) are always welcome cause remind us that in Basket money is not always the most important factor.
                          I KISS BASKET

Comment

And this makes me think, if it is a team capable of defeating these teams in a really important competition like this one, if they really have this level, it approaches dangerously to a really ACB-level team
                            Haha it would be nice Unfortunately in a macro view the level is not comparable, but as far as competitiveness is concerned you can surely say that
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

• 20th and last round

CAB 69 Barreirense 84
                              Belenenses 80 Ginásio 94
                              Ovarense 59 Vagos 61
                              Porto 71 Lusitânia 85

Looks like the Cup games did some harm to both Ovarense and Porto...

The MVP

Darrell Harris (Barreirense):

31 pts (9-15 FG, 1-1 3pt, 10-14 FT)
                              10 rebs
                              3 assists
                              2 steals
                              (34 minutes on court)
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

• Regular season final stats

Since the regular season is over, here are the final stats from the main categories (Darrel Harris was justifiedly the regular season MVP btw):

REBOUNDS

ASSISTS

STEALS

BLOCKS
                                Artificial Nature

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information