Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azovmash 2006-07 Ukranian champion

01 June 2007

EuroCup runners-up Azovmash Mariupol have clinched their second Ukrainian Superliga title in a row after routing BC Kyiv 91-64 in the decisive Game Five of the playoffs.

Azovmash took the lead early and never gave it up as they used the long-ball to dominate.

Rodney Buford finished with 19 points, Khalid El-Amin had 18 and Panagiotis Liadellis 17 for an Azovmash team that made 17 of 25 from beyond the arc.

Kyiv could not stay in the contest as they suffered from poor shooting, making only 21 of 55 from the field. Jermaine Jackson finished with 12 points and Marko Maravic had 11 with seven rebounds.

Azovmash could have wrapped up the playoffs at home in Game Four, but suffered a narrow defeat.

"Certainly we should have won in Mariupol but we suffered a one-point loss," said Azovmash coach Rimas Girskis.

"I'm glad that we've lived through that frustration.

"(In Game Five) we acted like one team. Everybody did his job well."

The Lithuanian coach was the man to lead Azovmash to the title last season as well - a victory that was also recorded in Kiev.

This term, they become only the second team in Ukraine to clinch gold without winning the
    regular-season title.

Kyiv coach Tomo Mahoric had to admit that his side were beaten by the better team.

"I think we let the title go from the start," he said. "I tried to change the game but nothing worked. However, I'm satisfied with my work in Kiev this season."

Mahoric took over the team following their elimination in the first round of EuroCup.

This was a fifth loss for BC Kyiv in seven appearances in the finals.

Khimik Yuzhny claimed third place by beating Cherkaski Mavpy 3-1 in the bronze medal series.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature
Working...
X

Debug Information