qatar

group D:
    USA
    puerto rico
    slovenia
    italy
    china
    senegal

the draw is good for lebanon. with some serious preparation we can beat nigeria and venezuela and go to the 2nd round!

Good luck to all teams!
    akis71
    01-14-2006, 11:30 PM
    Groups A and B are easier groups for qualifications while groups C and D are much stronger. That is result of making pots based on geography and not cause of quality of teams. Anyway it is not always that bad to be in a strong group. Being in a strong group and qualifying 1st or 2nd usually has as result to find weaker opponent in the eight-final game
    kestas
    01-14-2006, 11:43 PM #3

the draw is bad. some rather weak teams have green light for the 1/8 finals, while some really solid ones will surely miss it.
    FIBA needs to reorganise from the top down. this organisation is pathetic.
    Sabas 11
    01-15-2006, 12:02 AM

I agree this is a strange draw. How can you have the European champion (Greece) the previous European champion (Lithuania), the champion of the Americas (Brazil) and the Oceania champion (Australia) in THE SAME GROUP?!?!? WTF?

The USA got the easiest draw ever! Slovenia has no experience in playing against them and they have....Rashooooo...enough said. China doesn't know how to compete, everyone knows that. Italy will be either too old, or too young/inexperienced, but they could test the Americans. Italy was only a wildcard entry! Senegal...enough said. Finally, Puerto Rico never plays well or achieves anything special in FIBA tournaments plus they only got there thanks to a wildcard too. Also, they won't have the surprise element against the USA anymore after what happened in Athens.
    DanMajerle
    01-15-2006, 01:05 AM
    Group A and D are the strongest to me. A with three big team in Argentina, Serbia and France . The USA got hard opponents, they didn't look good against Puerto Rico and especially Italy in the past. At least tehy'll have some TV ratings when they play vs Yao .
    01-15-2006, 01:38 AM #6
    Matiz

Re: world cup draw groups
    ------------------------------------
    Quote:
    group D:
    USA
    puerto rico
    slovenia
    italy
    china
    senegal

I agree that the groups are really unballanced, especially comparing C group with others...

as for Slovenia I like the draw, eventhough we've only played with Italy so far and won majority of those matchups, Senegal and China shouldn't be too difficult and unless the "small teams" syndrome is still present in the team, Slovenia should easily qualify in the quarter-finals where when looking at group C it's obvious they'll have a tough job no matter who they'll face, although all 5 candidates are beatable...

Quote:
    Slovenia has no experience in playing against them and they have....Rashooooo...enough said.
    well, thanks to loosing games with smaller teams after beating medal-winning teams is the reason we've never got the chance to play USA. But considering the number of players that play/played in NBA or it's summer leagues, I think it shouldn't be some kind of basketballl shock...
    Having to play against Rasho might be funny to many US fans, but slovenian frontcourt is still (I'd dare to say) the toughest they'll face in the group games (and one of the toughest they can get from europe)... and they're playing international rules...
    anyway US will obviously get the first place in this group, troubles might appear in the elimination games when all depends on onl one game and they'll have a lot to loose unlike their opponents...

01-15-2006, 01:45 AM #7
    wardjdim
    Anorexic
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanMajerle
    Group A and D are the strongest to me. A with three big team in Argentina, Serbia and France . The USA got hard opponents, they didn't look good against Puerto Rico and especially Italy in the past. At least tehy'll have some TV ratings when they play vs Yao .
    Not really Dan.
    Right now, Group B is a joke. Spain is a great team, but only the real Powerhouse in it. Germany will hardly have the same summer like last year and then it all ends... Because you will have two (!) teams among Angola/Panama/New Zeland and of course the hosts Japan to qualify. Japan SHOULD have been in the easiest group in order to keep local interest high and now several really good teams were screwed.
    Group A is not so tough, because u have of course two Powerhouses in Serbia and Argentina and a potential one in France, but then the other three teams are extremely weak. The winner of Nigeria/Venezuela could join them in the top-4.
    Group C is the toughest. Because Greece is on the rise and Lithuania could also come back in high levels with Saras/Macas/Siskauskas in the back-court. Now, I cannot understand how a team among Turkey, Australia or Brazil can be left out of the top-16, when Nigeria/Venezuela or Angola/Panama will do it!!!???
    Same goes for the Group D (a bit less competitive than C IMO), with USA being the clear-cut favorite, but then one of Italy/Puerto Rico/Slovenia and China being left out??? Is that supposed to be fair?
    01-15-2006, 01:55 AM #8
    sime0n

i'm curious as to who's gonna get left out of group D. with china bringing quite possibly its strongest team since 2000 (yi and sun have been developing) and italy bringing maybe its weakest team (all young players). also, PR will not do well unless it brings arroyo and ayuso, i mean pr didnt even qualify from the americas.

i think all the wild card teams are gonna have a tough time if they bring the same teams that caused them to not qualify in the first place.
    01-15-2006, 02:02 AM #9
    Sabas 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matiz
    Having to play against Rasho might be funny to many US fans, but slovenian frontcourt is still (I'd dare to say) the toughest they'll face in the group games (and one of the toughest they can get from europe)... and they're playing international rules...

Slovenian front-court is indeed a good one. It should consist of Brezec, Nesterovic, Slokar, Smodis and Lorbek/Tusek. However these players are all pretty bad defensively and in rebounding. Especially Brezec, who scores some points in the NBA but not much else. As a result they should play zone defence 90% of time, with Rasho anchoring the paint. (Supposedly he is the best zone defence center in the NBA). That will leave them vulnerable to three-poing shooting, but the USA was bad at shooting last time so it might work out for them. You would think that the USA will address the shooting problems though, after what happened in Athens. I've watched some of Slovenia's games from EC 2005 and I was impressed with most things. The fan support was great due to the close location and that really lifted them. They won't have that in Japan so it will be a new challenge for them.
    01-15-2006, 02:05 AM #10
    Matiz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sime0n
    i'm curious as to who's gonna get left out of group D. with china bringing quite possibly its strongest team since 2000 (yi and sun have been developing) and italy bringing maybe its weakest team (all young players). also, PR will not do well unless it brings arroyo and ayuso, i mean pr didnt even qualify from the americas.

i think all the wild card teams are gonna have a tough time if they bring the same teams that caused them to not qualify in the first place.
    I still think that in the group D China has too big of an deficit on quality backcourt players, I do not know much about Senegal, but I suppose they more or less depend on athleticism... so they'd be the teams I'dsay will be left out, eventhough the way I am used of Slovenia I'd say it's likely they'll first beat US, and than automatically loose to China, Senegal, Italy and PR to end up out of the quarters...

Last edited by Matiz : 01-15-2006 at 02:17 AM.

01-15-2006, 02:12 AM #11
    Matiz
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabas 11
    Slovenian front-court is indeed a good one. It should consist of Brezec, Nesterovic, Slokar, Smodis and Lorbek/Tusek. However these players are all pretty bad defensively and in rebounding. Especially Brezec, who scores some points in the NBA but not much else. As a result they should play zone defence 90% of time, with Rasho anchoring the paint. (Supposedly he is the best zone defence center in the NBA). That will leave them vulnerable to three-poing shooting, but the USA was bad at shooting last time so it might work out for them. You would think that the USA will address the shooting problems though, after what happened in Athens. I've watched some of Slovenia's games from EC 2005 and I was impressed with most things. The fan support was great due to the close location and that really lifted them. They won't have that in Japan so it will be a new challenge for them.
    you're absolutely right about that, defensively none of those players is outstanding... Tusek and Smodis are all using their strenght succesfully, but that shouldn't be enough ag. US, since Tusek is undersized (203cm, 6'8) and Smodis unathletic- which is the reason they've never got the chance in NBA. but I am not thinking of comparing slovenian team to US, since they are the favourites there- I'd be glad if an upset happened, if not I won't be depressed or something...

One thing that will be different will be fan support, we've had plenty in Belgrade, while I doubt we'll get much of it in Japan (unless there is a Japan Rasho fan club hideing somewhere ...riiight)... but only Japan and US will get some fan support on this tournament anyway...

I agree with wardjim about the groups...
    01-15-2006, 02:16 AM #12
    Nikoo
    Senegal have decent frontcourt too-Pape Sow(D-league's Amare), Boniface Ndong and Mamoudo N'Daye

01-15-2006, 02:45 AM #13
    akis71
    I dont understand why FIBA is not using the rankings in order to determine the pots of draw and uses stupid geographical criteria. According to FIBA's rankings the pots should have been

1) JPN (host),USA,SGG,ARG
    2) LTU,ESP,ITA,GRE
    3) AUS,FRA,PUR,GER
    4) CHN,BRA,NZL,ANG
    5) TUR,VEN,NGR,SLO
    6) LIB,QAT,SEN,PAN

They could have applied the geographical criteria too if they wanted to according to that pots so the outcome would have been more balanced (although i still dont agree).
    01-15-2006, 04:02 AM #14
    Petran
    group A:
    argentina Strong
    venezuela Weak
    france Strong-Average
    serbia and montonegro Strong
    Lebanon Weak
    nigeria Weak

group B:
    spain Strong
    panama Weak
    germany Strong-Average
    japan Average
    new zealand Average
    angola Weak

group C:
    lithuania Strong
    brazil Strong-Average
    greece Strong
    turkey Strong-Average
    australia Strong-Average
    qatar Weak

group D:
    USA Strong
    puerto rico Strong-Average
    slovenia Strong-Average
    italy Strong
    china Average
    senegal Weak

These rankings summarize my personal (and maybe faulty..) opinion. As I see it, Group C is the toughest, B and D come in between and A is the easiest one. Nevertheless, we know so little about team rosters that predictions are very difficult to make. However, I agree with Akis71. Group C is absolutely nonsense for a rankings point of view...
    01-15-2006, 04:13 AM #15
    Genjuro
    Very early prediction:

Group A:
    1. Argentina
    2. France
    3. Serbia and Montenegro
    4. Venezuela
    5&6. Lebanon and Angola

Group B:
    1. Spain
    2. Germany
    3. New Zealand
    4. Panama
    5&6. Angola and Japan

Group C:
    1. Lithuania
    2. Greece
    3. Australia
    4. Brazil
    5. Turkey
    6. Quatar

Group D:
    1. USA
    2. Slovenia
    3. Italy
    4. Puerto Rico
    5. China
    6. Senegal

Eight-Finals:
    Argentina - Panama: Argentina
    France - New Zealand: France
    Germany - S&M: S&M
    Spain - Venezuela: Spain
    Lithuania - Puerto Rico: Lithuania
    Greece - Italy: Greece
    Slovenia - Australia: Australia
    USA - Brazil: USA

Quarter-Finals:
    Argentina - Greece: Argentina
    Spain - Australia: Spain
    Lithuania - France: Lithuania
    USA - S&M: USA

Semifinals:
    Argentina - Spain: Argentina
    USA - Lithuania: Lithuania

Final:
    Argentina - Lithuania: Argentina

Of course, the final outcome will have nothing to do with this.
    01-15-2006, 04:30 AM #16
    Kenzuke_Nakanomachi
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Genjuro
    Of course, the final outcome will have nothing to do with this.

Thank God.
    01-15-2006, 04:57 AM #17
    Kenzuke_Nakanomachi
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akis71
    Groups A and B are easier groups for qualifications while groups C and D are much stronger. That is result of making pots based on geography and not cause of quality of teams.

Quote:
    I dont understand why FIBA is not using the rankings in order to determine the pots of draw and uses stupid geographical criteria. According to FIBA's rankings the pots should have been

1) JPN (host),USA,SGG,ARG
    2) LTU,ESP,ITA,GRE
    3) AUS,FRA,PUR,GER
    4) CHN,BRA,NZL,ANG
    5) TUR,VEN,NGR,SLO
    6) LIB,QAT,SEN,PAN

So, Group A could be: USA, Spain, France, Brazil, Slovenia and Panama
    And Group B could be: Japan, Italy, Australia, Angola, Venezuela and Libano

It doesn´t look that balanced, if you ask me.
    01-15-2006, 05:05 AM #18
    tiefseerobbe
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wardjdim
    Not really Dan.
    Germany will hardly have the same summer like last year and then it all ends...
    I agree with Group B being the weakest one. However, if you take a close look at Germany, they've had this kind of summer three times out of the last four tournaments they participated in, missing the Finals twice on last-second losses. Thanks to Dirk, he's without doubt the reason as the majority of the German NT defintiely isn't european top class, it's time to take them serious. Other teams may be more talented, but where were they in the past?

But no doubt other groups are stronger.

01-15-2006, 05:26 AM #19
    Guilherme.rcf
    Man, our group is so hard. Theres only one easy game. All the others will be tough and if we win any of them it will be in decide in the last seconds.

I am afraid of being sent home after the groups stage. Which would be a shame.

I can just hope that all our NBA players keep themselves on shape. Otherwise we are out.

01-15-2006, 06:14 AM #20
    allen007
    Group B is ridiculous!
    japan is the weakest team in the world.Even Chinese Taipei can beat them.China PR had beat them 30points without Yao in Asian Tournaments 05.

Group C is unfair! So many strong teams in the same group.

Group A is weaker than Group D for there are several weak teams.

Group D is really hard for china PR to qualify.USA will be the No.1 while Italy ,Slov, P.Rico the three are difficult to beat.
    Anyway,Chinese fans will be happy to see their players play against those NBA stars like Kobe,LJames and AI.
    I believe China PR will be the 4th post in Group D with one of the top3 FIBA centers-- Yao Ming.
    Last edited by stuart; 05-19-2006 at 04:16 PM.

01-15-2006, 06:17 AM #21
    fezqo

[fezqo's Avatar]

Interesting group for the french NT, Serbia will seek for a revenge after their home loss in the EC-2005, and Argentina's Manu Ginobili will put up a good show vs his Spurs teammate Tony Parker! Can't wait!

Group C is really tough...

Please people stop crying like lil' girls about the draw system, these are the World Championships, we all agree it sucks that teams like Lebannon or Qatar are allowed to play in the Worlds but that's the way it is, same case in football. No big deal, the best will win no matter how, no need to hear the same rant over and over again...

01-15-2006, 06:59 AM #22
    L8DBACK

[L8DBACK's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matiz
    One thing that will be different will be fan support, we've had plenty in Belgrade, while I doubt we'll get much of it in Japan (unless there is a Japan Rasho fan club hideing somewhere ...riiight)... but only Japan and US will get some fan support on this tournament anyway...

I agree with wardjim about the groups...

The US Team will get big fan support other than US fans travelling from the US to watch the games, there are currently 50,000 US troops and their families that are currently stationed in Japan.

01-15-2006, 07:15 AM #23
    Sigma

Quote:
    Because you will have two (!) teams among Angola/Panama/New Zeland and of course the hosts Japan to qualify
    I agree that Group B is by far the weakest, but i think New Zeland is much better than Angola/Panama/Japan. I think they might even beat Germany.

01-15-2006, 08:36 AM #24
    DanMajerle

I think Germany will be stronger than in EC as most likely Okulaja and Hamann will play again, two key additions to this team. Maybe also Femerling will be in better shape as he played in EC despite Injury. But in big tournament a lot will depend on daily shape thatd ecides games on this high level.

01-15-2006, 09:05 AM #25
    Sigma

Bottom line is that to win WC it doesn't matter how strong the groups are - you still have to win everything after group games. If team can't qualify to Eight-Finals then they are not good enough team to fight for medals.

01-15-2006, 09:24 AM #26
    FRANKY 13

[FRANKY 13's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezqo
    Interesting group for the french NT, Serbia will seek for a revenge after their home loss in the EC-2005, and Argentina's Manu Ginobili will put up a good show vs his Spurs teammate Tony Parker! Can't wait!

Group C is really tough...

Please people stop crying like lil' girls about the draw system, these are the World Championships, we all agree it sucks that teams like Lebannon or Qatar are allowed to play in the Worlds but that's the way it is, same case in football. No big deal, the best will win no matter how, no need to hear the same rant over and over again...

I totally agree with Fez and Sigma,although some teams not even doing it to the next round just because theyre in a group a lot more difficult than the others is unfair indeed.

And I believe that no matter what Germany does in the tournament,Okulaja and Hamann are gonna help the team improve.

"Alvertis is the best captain I ever had." Zeljko Obradovic

01-15-2006, 10:23 AM #27
    DanMajerle

Yes, some people tend to forget that Germany's game was so focused on Dirk because three starters were missing in EC. If Hamann, Garris and Okulaja return the scoring will be more balanced agan and Dirk's role does not differ much from the one of Pau Gasol in Spains roster.

01-15-2006, 10:25 AM #28
    asdf

Group C:
    1. Lithuania
    2. Greece
    3. Australia
    4. Brazil
    5. Turkey
    6. Quatar

Oh .hit! Very difficult group for Turkey.

Turkey has no chances whatsoever of beating Lithuania* and Greece**. Qatar is easy. Australia and Brazil; well, it depends.

*We have a 1-11 record against them
    **The Turkish NT ALWAYS loses to compact, defensive sides.

01-15-2006, 12:35 PM #29
    ags

I actually think the groups are somewhat even. Yes there are groups that are harder than others, but that is the case in any sport or compeition. Do not underestimate Group B. New Zealand finished 4th in 2002, and Angola has a lot of experience in international competitions.

And do not overestimate group C. LIT, GRE and AUS are very good but the other 3 teams are suspect. Brazil are S. American champions(even though Argentina played with their B team), but they don't have good guard play, which is needed to do well in a competition like this. Turkey struggled in Eurobasket 2005, and Qatar should be happy just to be there.

01-15-2006, 01:42 PM #30
    kestas
    because

[kestas's Avatar]

Quote:
    Group A and D are the strongest to me. A with three big team in Argentina, Serbia and France .

I don't understand you. there are five solid teams in both groups C and D, while only four will advance to top-16. group C is totally unknown and totally strange compared to A and B.
    what's more ridiculous is that groups C and D (imho the strongest groups in the tournament) will play each other in the 1/8 finals. what this means is that for the survivors quarterfinals may actually be a joke. I boldly predict all teams in the semis will be from groups C and D. in A and B only Argentina is a considerable threat imho.
    the tournament will be hugely unballanced and very unfair imho. I can't see it being otherwise.

01-15-2006, 01:48 PM #31
    kestas
    because

[kestas's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ags
    I actually think the groups are somewhat even. Yes there are groups that are harder than others, but that is the case in any sport or compeition. Do not underestimate Group B. New Zealand finished 4th in 2002, and Angola has a lot of experience in international competitions.

when you look at this draw there's no wonder some teams (from A and B primarily) may finish much higher than they ever deserved. I'm afraid the final rankings will include some very bizarre placings

01-15-2006, 01:56 PM #32
    kestas
    because

[kestas's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sigma
    Bottom line is that to win WC it doesn't matter how strong the groups are - you still have to win everything after group games. If team can't qualify to Eight-Finals then they are not good enough team to fight for medals.

worlds championships are not only about medals, they're about the placings as well. this is very important for the FIBA standings. the points given for the placings in the Worlds are five times the amount given for the same placings in Eurobasket, 50 times the amount for Oceania, 25 times for Africa, 6,25 times for Americas.. those standings may not be very important, but they surely aren't irrelevant imho

01-15-2006, 11:49 PM #33
    wardjdim
    Anorexic

[wardjdim's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kestas
    worlds championships are not only about medals, they're about the placings as well. this is very important for the FIBA standings. the points given for the placings in the Worlds are five times the amount given for the same placings in Eurobasket, 50 times the amount for Oceania, 25 times for Africa, 6,25 times for Americas.. those standings may not be very important, but they surely aren't irrelevant imho
    This is a correct thought man. But, dont be too suspicious. The countries that will be benefited will not really deserve it, but it will also take like 1,000 years to benefited so much again!

01-16-2006, 12:21 AM #34
    barrotti
    Forza BlackEagles

[barrotti's Avatar]

well this is world cup like football there are teams weaker&stronger that makes colorful otherwise croatia is soomuch str. then ven. sen. qatar but this isnot euro&america challange..for Turkey players are more concentrated to stronger teams we will see but ofcourse if they become real team instead of arguing eachother like last tournament

01-16-2006, 12:37 PM #35
    kestas
    because

[kestas's Avatar]

btw, fiba com has some very interesting first reactions to the draw.

one of the more amusing was the Australian reaction, I quote:
    about the group C

"Scott Derwin, chief executive of Basketball Australia, said: "It is excellent, and we're happy to be in it."
    (the article so to speak is named "Oceania rivals delighted")

I sincerely can't see what's so exciting for the Ausies in this group. can you??? they got Greece, LTU, Turkey, Brasil to battle, while also trying not to meet USA in the next round.

I was also surprised to see that Germany already told they have an aim to finish in top-3 (that's when rosters of bigest teams are still unknown and it's still very early)
    Spain went even further telling fiba.com that they are going to Japan for the gold. Spanish representative also told this about the draw: "It was magnificent. The organization should be proud"
    (where is my gun?)

Lithuania is represented by mindaugas Zukauskas, who is pretty calm in his remarks. however, people that matter (President of LTU basketball fedetarion, head coach of the NT, etc.) critisized the draw in our press today. especially Sireika (our head coach). some things he said would probably never make it to the fiba.com Sireika basically thinks that every team from our group can be first and every can be last (Qatar doesn't count, they do not expect a single win, according to their representatives, quoted in our press). I agree with him completely.
    anyways, our officials have no aims set as yet. our president of federation (Vladas Garastas) is in favour of treating this tournament as the preparation for the Eurobasket 2007, which, according to him, will be much more important. obviously, we are in transition, so the point would be to have a new, long-term team instead of searching till the last moment for the old stars. the bigist problem our Nt has, according to Garastas, is the lack of a good center (this is very much Garastas' style - he told that as if there were no Javtokas or Lavrinovic brothers, coz he clearly finds them not good enough ). it is not clear how it will look in the end. Sireika imho will try again to get the best players he possibly can.

btw, our press mentions the probable weather conditions in towns that group games will take place. it appears that group C could be competing under about 30 degrees Celsius. there are hotter venues out there as well as colder one. anyways, it should not be a problem, although if the weather will get really hot, then LTU will not look so cheerfull compared to Brasilians, Greeks, Australians or Turks we're by far the most northern country in the group. not that it's a search for excuses, just an interesting note (I made) based on those weather predictions.

anyways, I think FIBA is trying its best to make the tournament look good, but this is not the best start there could be.

k

01-16-2006, 01:30 PM #36
    Saskibaloia

[Saskibaloia's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kestas

one of the more amusing was the Australian reaction, I quote:
    about the group C

"Scott Derwin, chief executive of Basketball Australia, said: "It is excellent, and we're happy to be in it."
    (the article so to speak is named "Oceania rivals delighted")

I sincerely can't see what's so exciting for the Ausies in this group. can you??? they got Greece, LTU, Turkey, Brasil to battle, while also trying not to meet USA in the next round.

Yeah, it's seems crazy to be happy to be in the Group of Death. It would be like saying that Argentina are happy to be in the same group as Holland in the Soccer World Cup.

I believe Derwin is saying that just to look okay in front of the basketball media. He's just trying to be optimistic BUT deep down he's probably thinking, "bugger, we're screwed".

The Kiwis must be so happy they are in their group. I reckon they'll move onto the next round.

Cheers.

01-16-2006, 02:13 PM #37
    wardjdim
    Anorexic

[wardjdim's Avatar]

Well, it all depends on the absences now.
    U.S./Serbia/Italy/Lithuania coud have some major ones.
    Argentina, I dont think they ll have any. Same for Greece and Spain and there go the contenders..
    The rest will depend on the coaches' decisions, the locker room situation, the early disappointment after an unexpected loss and of course the mental strength of the teams' stars over the knock-out games

01-16-2006, 03:49 PM #38
    K-2 Young

[K-2 Young's Avatar]

[Send a message via MSN to K-2 Young] [Send a message via Yahoo to K-2 Young]

I love this draw for Puerto Rico

01-16-2006, 04:32 PM #39
    Toxicity

[Toxicity's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by K-2 Young
    I love this draw for Puerto Rico

I'm happy for you...

01-16-2006, 05:28 PM #40
    Phantim3dx

[Phantim3dx's Avatar]

China and the Group of Death
    got this from Asiabasket.com today. Something itneresting about the WBC and where its going to be played has got me wodnering about something

China Placed in Toughest Group in World Championship - Jan. 16, 2006 - by Arthur Volbert

China was placed in, Group D of the World Championship, a "Group of Death", along with the United States, Italy, Puerto Rico, Slovenia and Senegal. FIBA viewed Group D as the most competitive of the four groups selected. Sunday's draw in Tokyo set the stage for the FIBA World Championship 2006 in Japan from August 19 to September 3. The make-up of the 4 groups determined the match schedule for the first 5 game days of the World Championship.

Group A
    Argentina
    Venezuela
    France
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Lebanon
    Nigeria

Group B
    Spain
    Panama
    Germany
    Japan
    New Zealand
    Angola

Group C
    Lithuania
    Brazil
    Greece
    Turkey
    Australia
    Qatar

Group D
    USA
    Puerto Rico
    Slovenia
    Italy
    P.R. of China
    Senegal

China still has a fighting chance to make the round of 16 and even the round of eight. The United States will be sending an outstanding team and will likely win the group. But Puerto Rico and Italy got into the tournament as "wild cards." While Italy finished second in the Olympics in Athens, it failed to make the quarter-finals of this year's European Championship. Puerto Rico finished 7th in the America's tournament but was missing its best players, all of whom have indicated that they will participate in the World Championship. Still China has beaten Puerto Rico in the past and Slovenia is competing for the first time at a World Championship. I am predicting that China will finish third in this Group, behind the United States and Italy. But all the teams in this group are dangerous and if China does not play well it could emerge winless. Slovenia will have players like Radoslav Nesterovic of the San Antonio Spurs and former Houston Rocket Bostjan Nachbar. Even Senegal may have Dallas Maverick D'Sagana Diop.

The teams will play against each other in the preliminary phase in four groups of 6 teams. The 4 top teams from each group will then qualify directly for the Round of 16. In the Round of 16 China will face a team from Group C. If it finishes fourth in Group D, it might well face Lithuania. If it finishes third it might face Greece or Australia. All the games from the Round of 16 to the finals will be sudden-death eliminations. Teams that fail to make the quarter finals will not receive a placing. Only teams 1-8 will be ranked through playing the medal games or consolation games.

If you look @ where Japan is placed (Group B) they have it fairly well off, what is up with FIBA/FIFA always seem to giving the host naiton ane asier spot, marketing and "better" business dealings? On another topic here, could this have something to do with the strained China-Japan relationce, hence they don't want China to do too well in the WBC06 on Japanese soil? Sometimes I seriously think im analyzing things too in depth like that last statement which is more a political debate than anything. Comments and your statements!

01-17-2006, 12:55 AM #41
    akis71

[akis71's Avatar]

I am not so sure that Austalians were that happy. According to greek media Australians were not satisfied and may complain to FIBA since they believe it is not logical 3 area champions to be drawn in same group.

01-17-2006, 01:10 AM #42
    DanMajerle

Oh come on Lithuania, stop crying. In Group A the current World Champion, the current Olympic Champion and the current EC Bronze Medal Winner are playing. In Group B the African Champion and the third, fourth, fifth placed teams from last WC are playing, two of them are also last EC semi-finalists. In group D the USA, the Asian and the Olympic Vice- Champion are playing. So the groups are not really that unbalanced.

01-17-2006, 01:29 AM #43
    wardjdim
    Anorexic

[wardjdim's Avatar]

Quote:
    Oh come on Lithuania, stop crying. In Group A the current World Champion, the current Olympic Champion and the current EC Bronze Medal Winner are playing. In Group B the African Champion and the third, fourth, fifth placed teams from last WC are playing, two of them are also last EC semi-finalists. In group D the USA, the Asian and the Olympic Vice- Champion are playing. So the groups are not really that unbalanced.
    Oh, they surely are man! Because games in 1st round are takin place in a daily basis and Group C and D teams will have to face different tough opponents back-to-back, with only one easy game per group and with elimination threatening them at any given minute...
    Group A and B teams won't have that..

01-17-2006, 01:36 AM #44
    akis71

[akis71's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenzuke_Nakanomachi
    So, Group A could be: USA, Spain, France, Brazil, Slovenia and Panama
    And Group B could be: Japan, Italy, Australia, Angola, Venezuela and Libano

It doesn´t look that balanced, if you ask me.
    Yes that groups are not balanced but you are taking an extreme possibility. I can take an extreme possibility also based on current way of drawing
    We could have had in a group one of USA-Argentina, one of Lithuania-Serbia-Italy, one of Greece-Spain-France, Turkey, China, one of Australia-Puerto Rico and in other group Panama, Slovenia, Germany, Nigeria, Qatar, Venezuela
    It doesnt make sence to have in same pot USA Argentina and Panama just cause all of them are from America or to have in same pot China and Qatar or Turkey and Nigeria. If pots are needed in a drawing that should be decided based just on teams performances and the only tool we have for it is FIBA's rankings

01-17-2006, 01:39 AM #45
    akis71

[akis71's Avatar]

Quote:
    Oh, they surely are man! Because games in 1st round are takin place in a daily basis and Group C and D teams will have to face different tough opponents back-to-back, with only one easy game per group and with elimination threatening them at any given minute...
    Group A and B teams won't have that..

And note also in 8-finals we have winners of group A and B playing against 4th teams of group B and A which will be probably the weaker teams of the 16 teams that will qualify

01-17-2006, 01:54 AM #46
    caaprius

Quote:

what world champions? the ones that got eliminated in 2003 EC quaterfinals? the ones that got beaten by almost every team in 2004 olympics? or the ones that got humiliated in 2005 EC?

01-17-2006, 01:58 AM #47
    wardjdim
    Anorexic

[wardjdim's Avatar]

Quote:
    In Group B the African Champion...

01-17-2006, 03:33 AM #48
    avduka2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caaprius
    what world champions? the ones that got eliminated in 2003 EC quaterfinals? the ones that got beaten by almost every team in 2004 olympics? or the ones that got humiliated in 2005 EC?
    no, the ones that beat lithuania....in 1995 EC, OG 96, EC 97, the ones that won WC 1998 while lithuania was where?...the ones that won bronze in 99 EC while lithuania was where? the ones that won EC 2001 while mighty lithuania was where? the ones that won WC 2002...those world champions.....

01-17-2006, 07:01 AM #49
    asdf

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caaprius

Oh please!

01-17-2006, 10:23 AM #50
    caaprius

Quote:
    Originally Posted by avduka2
    no, the ones that beat lithuania....in 1995 EC, OG 96, EC 97, the ones that won WC 1998 while lithuania was where?...the ones that won bronze in 99 EC while lithuania was where? the ones that won EC 2001 while mighty lithuania was where? the ones that won WC 2002...those world champions.....

so maybe we should go back to 1937 or 1939 when LT won European championships? ) oh really please, those world champions had been ugly recent years.

01-17-2006, 01:42 PM #51
    kestas
    because

[kestas's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by avduka2

that team is done, can't you see? everybody understands that. they need new blood all over. their recent results were pathetic (having in mind they are the runing world champions). right now they play on par with Latvia or Israel if not worse. if they have some brains they will build a new team arround some of the new leaders like Rakosevic and will make it a force for the Olympic games. team vets liek Bodiroga or Drobnjak should have quit while they're still good, not when they are clearly far from their best years both physically and psychologically.
    sure, if they manage to build a good new team, they stand a chance, but if they will try to collect mostly the same star players as in Eurobasket, they are surely doomed.

btw, in case you think I fancy the chances of LTU over Serbia (so to speak) I must say we're in a simmilar position. thank god our recent transition to new players was pretty succesfull. despite that, it's hard to expect very good results next year. it's more likely LTU will achieve something in 2008 or a bit later, when our recent youngsters will become the core of the team and hopefully we'll get over the lack of Jasikevicius, Stombergas, Zukasukases, Songaila, etc.. next year we will probably have a mixed bag. anyways, it would be stupid to say that Lithuania will not be hoping for a medal. every LTU basketball team is participating in international competitions to win medals. lower aims would not fit our image

Last edited by kestas : 01-17-2006 at 01:51 PM.

01-17-2006, 04:08 PM #52
    EverGreen

[EverGreen's Avatar]

[Send a message via MSN to EverGreen]

This draw is so fixed. Fiba is a complete shambles. They should be ashamed of themselves.

"Some call him God, we call him Panathinaikos"

" I love you my big shamrock,
    wherever you play I will be with you,
    in the good times and the bad,
    my big shamrock only you,

You are a 'sickness' that is unique,
    everything I hold in life,
    successes and many travels,
    deeply engraved in my heart

And if I never had a brain,
    my big shamrock you stole it,
    and if I never had any money
    my big shmarock you took that too"

01-19-2006, 07:59 PM #53
    jokinen

[jokinen's Avatar]

Stop complaining about the Draw, it was good, if you want to win the WC you have to beat every team, plus group C is great!!!, beautiful!!! I hope I get to see every single game of group C, imagine all those strong teams playing each other they know they can't afford to lose, that would be very exciting.
    As for Argentina, a good draw. Both, first and last game of the group stage, will be against very strong teams. That will make us be alert and prepared, plus we will face a team from group B which is probably the weakest group.
    ...and I'm feeling good

01-19-2006, 10:21 PM #54
    kestas
    because

[kestas's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jokinen
    Stop complaining about the Draw, it was good, if you want to win the WC you have to beat every team, plus group C is great!!!, beautiful!!!

I wish you luck as well!!!
    (fingers crossed)

01-20-2006, 11:35 AM #55
    Kenzuke_Nakanomachi

[Kenzuke_Nakanomachi's Avatar]

Quote:
    It doesnt make sence to have in same pot USA Argentina and Panama just cause all of them are from America or to have in same pot China and Qatar or Turkey and Nigeria. If pots are needed in a drawing that should be decided based just on teams performances and the only tool we have for it is FIBA's rankings

That was not the case. There was a pot with the top seeds. (USA, Spain, Argentina, Lithuania). Another one with the Wild Cards (Japan, Serbia, Turkey, Italy) and then South America (Panama, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Brazil), Europe (Greece, Germany, France, Slovenia), "Australasia" (New Zealand, Australia, China, Lebanon) and Africa ( Nigeria, Angola, Senegal, Qatar)

I think all pots were balanced. Except for maybe Japan being in pot 2, but they are the hosts, aren´t they?

Of course, there will be some teams "less happy" with the outcome and some other teams with arguably easier groups, but hey that´s why they make a draw in the first place.

I think this was an imaginative and certainly appropriate way to make the draw.
    I mean, I suppose you could distribute the teams just following FIBA rankings, but -significatively enough- Venezuela ranks higher than Slovenia?

01-20-2006, 01:44 PM #56
    akis71

[akis71's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenzuke_Nakanomachi
    That was not the case. There was a pot with the top seeds. (USA, Spain, Argentina, Lithuania). Another one with the Wild Cards (Japan, Serbia, Turkey, Italy) and then South America (Panama, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Brazil), Europe (Greece, Germany, France, Slovenia), "Australasia" (New Zealand, Australia, China, Lebanon) and Africa ( Nigeria, Angola, Senegal, Qatar)

I think all pots were balanced. Except for maybe Japan being in pot 2, but they are the hosts, aren´t they?

Of course, there will be some teams "less happy" with the outcome and some other teams with arguably easier groups, but hey that´s why they make a draw in the first place.

I think this was an imaginative and certainly appropriate way to make the draw.
    I mean, I suppose you could distribute the teams just following FIBA rankings, but -significatively enough- Venezuela ranks higher than Slovenia?
    Pots were not that and your mistake is obvious. Japan didnt get wild card and also I dont see why Spain could be in a top teams pot instead of Greece. Pots were 1: First 4 eurobasket teams (Greece, Germany, France,Spain) 2:5th-6th of eurobasket (Lithuania, Slovenia) plus Italy and Serbia (the top ranked european wild cards) 3: Top 4 america tournament(Brazil, USA, Argentina, Panama), 4: Asian teams (Japan, China, Qatar, Lebanon) 5ceania teams (Australia, New Zealand) plus the remaining 2 american teams (Venezuela, Puerto Rico), 6: African teams (Nigeria, Angola, Senegal) plus Turkey
    Concerning FIBA rankings I never said are perfect and in fact I believe they wrong cause of long cycle they have. But still it is FIBA's official rankings and should have been a tool for FIBA to make pots. Slovenia appears lower than Venezuela but that is fault of rankings and in any case it was first time that Slovenia was so high in a competition. Of course Venezuela is playing in a weaker competition than eurobasket and earns easier points in rankings but that has to do on how FIBA is calculating rankings. If FIBA doesnt use their rankings then why do they have them ?

01-21-2006, 02:12 AM #57
    Kenzuke_Nakanomachi

[Kenzuke_Nakanomachi's Avatar]

Quote:
    Pots were not that and your mistake is obvious. Japan didnt get wild card and also I dont see why Spain could be in a top teams pot instead of Greece.

Well, It is useless to deny that the Greek NT is the best basketball team in history of the game, alongside Bill Murray and the Looney Tunes. Blatantly contravening this axiom, FIBA followed this other illogical criteria, in order to include these unknown and obviously inferior teams (Spain, USA, Lithuania, Argentina) in Greece´s place. -Probably FIBA rankings -

Seriously, you don´t need to speculate with the composition of the pots. I did follow the draw live.

01-21-2006, 02:28 AM #58
    FRANKY 13

[FRANKY 13's Avatar]

Yeah we know that we Greeks are the coolest ...

Aki I think Kenzuke is right on this.And honestly,there has almost never been a draw satisfying everyone.

"Alvertis is the best captain I ever had." Zeljko Obradovic

01-22-2006, 02:38 PM #59
    wardjdim
    Anorexic

[wardjdim's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FRANKY 13
    Yeah we know that we Greeks are the coolest ...

Aki I think Kenzuke is right on this.And honestly,there has almost never been a draw satisfying everyone.
    Yup...
    I agree on that. Anyways, let's see the Lithuanian absences and then I doubt that we will have any loss before the knock out game. That is, if our team is healthy of course...

02-07-2006, 04:45 PM #60
    ncroc

[Exclamation] Re: world cup draw groups
    Group C
    Lithuania
    Brazil
    Greece
    Turkey
    Australia
    Qatar

In my opinion, group C is the thoughest one. Turkey is pretty god damn lucky to be on this tournament. It will be very nice to see what Mehmet Okur, Hidayet Turkoglu, Mirsad Turkcan, Kaya Peker, Ibrahim Kutluay, and all the others will manage to do. I hope they take Cenk Akyol and Oguz Savas too to the national team. If Mehmet Okur keeps playing like this on Nba and also play close (he should play much better) in the national team, lots of teams in this group will be very disappointed. I dont think Turkey can beat Lithuania, even though at U16, U18, Lithuania is no match to Turkey(new generations are great), but apart from that, Turkey is better than all the other teams on the paper. My guess is that Turkey will finish at the 3rd place in this group and Greece or Australia (probably Australia) will not make it. We'll see!

ncroc
    02-07-2006, 05:04 PM #61

Hi,
    I wanna see the power rankings of the European teams. I dont think that the Greece is the most powerful one. I bet they cannot even beat Serbia or Lithuania once in 10 games.

This is my subjective ranking, no offense

Serbia & Montenegro
    Lithuania
    Turkey
    Spain
    Germany
    France
    Greece
    Slovenia
    Italy
    02-07-2006, 06:54 PM #62
    Saskibaloia

[Saskibaloia's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncroc
    Group C
    Lithuania
    Brazil
    Greece
    Turkey
    Australia
    Qatar

My guess is that Turkey will finish at the 3rd place in this group and Greece or Australia (probably Australia) will not make it. We'll see!

Ouch...Knocking off my mates.
    We'll see about that.
    I ever wonder whether your two superstars will rock up and actually play in the team not try to be the team like what they did in Eurobasket.
    Objectively speaking this group is just as tough as group B in the Soccer World Cup.
    Concerning my NT... well we may not look as good as you other blokes on paper however, looking good on paper doesn't translate into winning.

Quote:
    Hi,
    I wanna see the power rankings of the European teams. I dont think that the Greece is the most powerful one. I bet they cannot even beat Serbia or Lithuania once in 10 games.

Serbia & Montenegro
    Lithuania
    Turkey
    Spain
    Germany
    France
    Greece
    Slovenia
    Italy

Just like everyone, including myself in this forum ... you've just got to rank you NT at a high position. Well it's a good thing I do the same thing with my Boomers

02-07-2006, 10:33 PM #63
    Phantim3dx

[Phantim3dx's Avatar]

i posted something on the group of death earlier, and that is from the perspective perhaps on the chinese nt.
    however upon reading your post ncroc, i have to agree on you on this, group c is the toughest so far on paper with all htose basketball powerhouses.
    my personal opinion/bias is thatt he u.s. will cruise in their group but c wont, its going to be a battle. sorry aussie land. im pickin lithuania, greece, and turkey in no particular order for the top 3 finish

Quote:
    Group C
    Lithuania
    Brazil
    Greece
    Turkey
    Australia
    Qatar

In my opinion, group C is the thoughest one. Turkey is pretty god damn lucky to be on this tournament. It will be very nice to see what Mehmet Okur, Hidayet Turkoglu, Mirsad Turkcan, Kaya Peker, Ibrahim Kutluay, and all the others will manage to do. I hope they take Cenk Akyol and Oguz Savas too to the national team. If Mehmet Okur keeps playing like this on Nba and also play close (he should play much better) in the national team, lots of teams in this group will be very disappointed. I dont think Turkey can beat Lithuania, even though at U16, U18, Lithuania is no match to Turkey(new generations are great), but apart from that, Turkey is better than all the other teams on the paper. My guess is that Turkey will finish at the 3rd place in this group and Greece or Australia (probably Australia) will not make it. We'll see!

02-07-2006, 11:32 PM #64
    Sashikas
    Climamio hater

[Sashikas's Avatar]

[Send a message via ICQ to Sashikas] [Send a message via MSN to Sashikas]

Quote:
    Group C
    I dont think Turkey can beat Lithuania, even though at U16, U18, Lithuania is no match to Turkey(new generations are great), but apart from that, Turkey is better than all the other teams on the paper.
    Lithuanians, as a nordic nation, tend to grow up later, than the southern nations. Look at our skinny guys in those tournaments - they look like two or three years younger than greeks, turks, serbs or spaniards. So it is physically hard for them to compete with more mature opponents.
    IMHO, because of this Lithuanians have a very tiny chances to win in U16 or U18 competitions.

Last edited by Sashikas : 02-07-2006 at 11:42 PM.

02-07-2006, 11:39 PM #65
    ncroc

[Thumbs up] Re: world cup draw groups
    Hi,
    I also dont think that the group D is really a though one. US wont lose a single game on this tournament and I dont know much about what China can do. Slovenia might suprise us. They always have lots of talented players. Italy is very old and they only have average players. My guess is that only the 4th one of the group C will lose against the U.S. The 1st,the 2nd and the 3rd one of the group C will win, pity for the 4th one.

02-09-2006, 01:06 PM #66
    wardjdim
    Anorexic

[wardjdim's Avatar]

Quote:
    Hi,

Serbia & Montenegro
    Lithuania
    Turkey
    Spain
    Germany
    France
    Greece
    Slovenia
    Italy
    hehehe
    i love this ranking. Do you mind explainin me the criteria for creating it?

02-09-2006, 01:09 PM #67
    wardjdim
    Anorexic

[wardjdim's Avatar]

Quote:
    Hi,
    I also dont think that the group D is really a though one. US wont lose a single game on this tournament
    You are very confident in your predictions...
    I am starting to add your quotes in my archive. I am a big fan of your opinion. It s very well formed (especially when the U.S. has lost 6 games during the past WC and Olympics...)

02-09-2006, 01:46 PM #68
    sariss
    monty python fan

[sariss's Avatar]

[Send a message via MSN to sariss]

if I were also to make a bold prediction, I would say USA won't lose a single game in group D, especially because they lost 6 games in the last two tournaments.

as for turkish NT and their chances, I have no confidence in our team's consistency... I'm open for any results in the range of 1st to 5th

02-09-2006, 11:03 PM #69
    ncroc

Serbia & Montenegro
    Lithuania
    Turkey
    Spain
    Germany
    France
    Greece
    Slovenia
    Italy

Well, about my ranking, they are based on the fact that all of the players in those countries will play on their national teams with their average performances. Like Peja and other Lithuanian guys (hard names to remember macauskas? jasikevicius?(I guess Jasikevicius wont play but anyway)) will play. If you have good shooters, teams like Greece, Germany, France cannot be very succesful on defense. I mean what are they gonna do When Peja is sending 3-pointers from down town, 2 or 3 in a row. Zone defense ? Come on. Spain have good NBA players and they have one of the thoughest leagues in Europe (best leagues: spain,italy,turkey,greece). Germany has Nowitzki who is the best European player in my opion,too, but not enough to defeat Spain. France has lots of good players like Parker, Diaw, Pietrus' and some others but they are too young and doesnt have the chances to play leading roles on their teams. (This was a problem for Turkey,too, Mehmet (in Detroit) and Hidayet(in Sacramento), but thanks god, they changed their teams(Jazz and Magic)). Well Greece can do amazing jobs from time to time and they have a really though league but they are by no means stable, there will be lots of stress on them and they were pretty lucky,too. Slovenia have lots of potential (they might even beat Germany very easily) but for some reason they dont do well on the tournaments.So I wouldnt count on them much. Italy is too old, dont have any important NBA players and foreigners take leading roles on most of their teams in Euroleague. I didnt put teams like Russia, Croatia, etc. because they are not playing on this tournament.
    Fair enough ?

02-09-2006, 11:15 PM #70
    ncroc

About U.S. Do you watch NBA ? Do you know the new approach they are taking (professional and long time contracts)? Last night there were 13 players who scored over 30. If you want a team play, Detroit. If you need one-man shows, Le Bron James, Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson. I mean, come on. Best European guards might be Tony Parker, Jasikevicius and Marko Jaric. How many minutes do they play ? (Tony is doing a great job but doesnt score that much in general)

02-09-2006, 11:18 PM #71
    Lietuvis

[Lietuvis's Avatar]

[Wink] Re: world cup draw groups
    In regards to Group C, it would be in best interests of teams not to finish top. The top team is matched up in Group D with the top team. (should be USA).

Avoiding this matchup can get the team to the final game at least, as they will go to winners of groups A & B in 1/4 finals instead and avoid the matchup.

USA will bring a team to beat as we all know they havent won for a while and will want again to make some sort of record out if it!

You dont want to finish 4th in this group either!

02-09-2006, 11:32 PM #72
    ncroc

By the way, why was the ranking subtive then ? Due to the place of Turkey. No body knows what Turkey will manage to do but we have high hopes due to the increase in performances of our NBA players and having a though league. we'll see!

02-10-2006, 12:03 AM #73
    sariss
    monty python fan

[sariss's Avatar]

[Send a message via MSN to sariss]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lietuvis
    In regards to Group C, it would be in best interests of teams not to finish top. The top team is matched up in Group D with the top team. (should be USA).
    You dont want to finish 4th in this group either!
    is it really so? do you mean in 1/8 finals? A&B vs C&D won't play until 1/4 finals?
    if so, I hate this stupid drawing system and schedule

02-10-2006, 01:36 AM #74
    ncroc

I didnt quite understand what he meant. Why would the 1st ones play with each other ? First one should play with the 4th one. Probably the first one in group C will not play with U.S. till the quarter finals or semi-finals if not the final.

02-10-2006, 03:49 AM #75
    Saskibaloia

[Saskibaloia's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phantim3dx
    sorry aussie land. im pickin lithuania, greece, and turkey in no particular order for the top 3 finish

Fair enough but trust me you'll regret it.
    GO THE BOOMERS!!!

02-10-2006, 11:54 AM #76
    Lietuvis

[Lietuvis's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saskibaloia
    Fair enough but trust me you'll regret it.
    GO THE BOOMERS!!!

So what is a BOOMER?

02-10-2006, 12:14 PM #77
    Saskibaloia

[Saskibaloia's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lietuvis
    So what is a BOOMER?

Sorry champ it's a Male Kangaroo. It's the nickname for our men's national basketball team. Does your country have a nickname for their sporting teams?

02-11-2006, 04:02 AM #78
    ncroc

Turkey's nickname is "12 Giant Men" but of course in Turkish "12 Dev Adam".
    We even do have a song you might heard of which starts with " Uh Ah Dev Adam, 12 Dev Adam". Football (soccer) is the far most popular sport in Turkey so they are trying to increase the basketball's popularity using songs, commercials, shows, etc... Its pathetic but what are you gonna do, its hard to change people's habits.

02-14-2006, 08:43 PM #79
    Phantim3dx

[Phantim3dx's Avatar]

"boomer" refers to the phrase of boomer sooner for oklahoma university my university's rival in almost anything. team usa is known as the "dream team" although such usage of this word lately has become an embarassment much like when that french dude tried to get the charging but carter instead jumped over him and dunked.

go USA!

02-14-2006, 09:02 PM #80
    Saskibaloia

[Saskibaloia's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phantim3dx
    "boomer" refers to the phrase of boomer sooner for oklahoma university my university's rival in almost anything.

french dude

Well that definition of Boomer of course is the American English

French Dude is 7'2" Fredreic Weis a 1999 NBA Draft Pick selection of the New York Knicks at no. 15.

However, nowadays he's playing for my 2nd favourite Spanish Bball club Bilbao Lagun Aro Basket.

fezqo
    02-15-2006, 03:24 AM #81

[fezqo's Avatar]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saskibaloia
    Well that definition of Boomer of course is the American English

French Dude is 7'2" Fredreic Weis a 1999 NBA Draft Pick selection of the New York Knicks at no. 15.

However, nowadays he's playing for my 2nd favourite Spanish Bball club Bilbao Lagun Aro Basket.

Yup, Fred "french dude" Weis has been known for years for the Carter dunk and the disapointing 15th choice of the 99 draft, alas. Nonetheless, those last few years, with his spanish teams and with the french NT, Weis has been really excellent, his very late coming to the NT roster for the euro championships was definately instrumental in winning the bronze medal. He used to be a pretty soft player, now Fred is truly a fighter under the rims, we're proud of him at last!

Weis' titles:

- 1 french league championship
    - subchampion of the spanish league
    - 1 french cup
    - 2 Korac cups
    - 1 silver medal in the Olympics
    - 1 bronze medal in the Euro championships.

He is currently the best rebounder and the best shot-blocker of the spanish league.

Not too bad, uh?
    Last edited by stuart; 05-19-2006 at 04:13 PM.