Team USA 2019/2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
    It's not like they'll have to win that many games to qualify. FIBA America isn't that deep.
    It's deeper than you're making it out to be, and if they build the wrong team they could easily not win any.

Comment

Originally posted by CHBB View Post
      It's deeper than you're making it out to be, and if they build the wrong team they could easily not win any.
      That seems a bit like overkill
      There's maybe two teams in FIBA Americas that will be even close to full strength.

Comment

That seems a bit like overkill
        There's maybe two teams in FIBA Americas that will be even close to full strength.
        That's an incorrect usage of the word. I believe the term you were looking for was an exaggeration.

Scrappy depleted teams will beat teams with fundamental flaws nine times out of ten. Waste enough offensive and defensive possessions and you'll see how much "talent" does for you.

Comment

Originally posted by CHBB View Post
          That's an incorrect usage of the word. I believe the term you were looking for was an exaggeration.

Scrappy depleted teams will beat teams with fundamental flaws nine times out of ten. Waste enough offensive and defensive possessions and you'll see how much "talent" does for you.
          Are you just assuming they'll pluck players at random without thought to chemistry? That seems insane, even for you. That's a worst case scenario at best. Beside what would you have them do instead? It's not like they can use college players or NBA players. Besides, this is the D-League. When has anyone ever over hyped the talent of a D-League player?

Comment

First round draw is done and I think US might have landed in the toughest group.

United States, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba.

Now really they really just have to get two wins against Cuba to make the next round, but I think Mexico and Puerto Rico might have some decent non NBA/Euroleague talent.

edit: Funny enough Game 1 of the qualifiers is on Thanksgiving in the US.
            Last edited by Dtown; 05-07-2017, 05:31 PM.
            Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
              First round draw is done and I think US might have landed in the toughest group.

United States, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba.

Now really they really just have to get two wins against Cuba to make the next round, but I think Mexico and Puerto Rico might have some decent non NBA/Euroleague talent.

edit: Funny enough Game 1 of the qualifiers is on Thanksgiving in the US.
              If this was 2008 it would be the toughest but Mexico is the only real threat in this group. PR isn't what they use to be and Cuba is going to be a clean sweep.

Comment

If this was 2008 it would be the toughest but Mexico is the only real threat in this group. PR isn't what they use to be and Cuba is going to be a clean sweep.
                I agree. A full strength Mexico could make things interesting if USA Basketball decides to get sloppy and throw a team of D-leaguers or Euro-based players together for one week. Obviously, even on the low end of the talent pool, we have tremendous depth that's usually strong enough to overpower teams...but chemistry has always been our Achilles heal, and I'm not so certain that a team of D-leaguers/Euro-based players can come out of the qualifiers unscathed. Non-NBA players have a less-than-stellar record over the last decade against the elite American teams. That being said, FIBA Americas is pretty damn weak right now, so even a C-level, non-NBA team should compete for a spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
                  I agree. A full strength Mexico could make things interesting if USA Basketball decides to get sloppy and throw a team of D-leaguers or Euro-based players together for one week. Obviously, even on the low end of the talent pool, we have tremendous depth that's usually strong enough to overpower teams...but chemistry has always been our Achilles heal, and I'm not so certain that a team of D-leaguers/Euro-based players can come out of the qualifiers unscathed. Non-NBA players have a less-than-stellar record over the last decade against the elite American teams. That being said, FIBA Americas is pretty damn weak right now, so even a C-level, non-NBA team should compete for a spot.
                  The one good thing about this format is because it's so spread out, you could potentially have a team that has months of playing together by the time it's all said and done, provided you don't have any dramatic roster changes. Like if you have a dedicated roster of 20 or so players, there's no reason they wouldn't develop chemistry over the course of about a year and a half.
                  Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Question, can we assume that the D-League NT of USA will be stronger than that of the 2015 Pan-Am NT? I remember USA then lost to Brazil and got eliminated by Canada.
                    Sacramento Kings
                    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                      Question, can we assume that the D-League NT of USA will be stronger than that of the 2015 Pan-Am NT? I remember USA then lost to Brazil and got eliminated by Canada.
                      Wasn't that more or less a college team with a few NBA wash outs? Third place is pretty good for what they sent. Besides that wasn't exactly worst Canadian team. It was nearly the same team they sent to FIBA Americas later that summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                        The one good thing about this format is because it's so spread out, you could potentially have a team that has months of playing together by the time it's all said and done, provided you don't have any dramatic roster changes. Like if you have a dedicated roster of 20 or so players, there's no reason they wouldn't develop chemistry over the course of about a year and a half.
                        I'm inclined to agree. The only caveat: DL and Euro-based players are in a consistent state of flux, so even with a large pool of players there's no guarantee a solid core can remain intact over the qualification period. Nevertheless, it would take a monumental collapse for the US to not qualify. Actually, in the long run, it's not the "B" team I'm concerned with...it's our "A" team that could have the more strenuous growing pains. Unless Euroleague joins the NBA by not permitting its players to compete during the regular season, elite European teams (excluding their NBA-based players) will have a major advantage over US NTs comprised of NBA players. The level of chemistry they'd develop over a year and a half would far exceed anything USA Basketball could cobble together once the real competition starts. As far as chemistry, NBA-based US teams trailed their European counterparts under the old system...it could get worst under this new format.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree. The only caveat: DL and Euro-based players are in a consistent state of flux, so even with a large pool of players there's no guarantee a solid core can remain intact over the qualification period. Nevertheless, it would take a monumental collapse for the US to not qualify. Actually, in the long run, it's not the "B" team I'm concerned with...it's our "A" team that could have the more strenuous growing pains. Unless Euroleague joins the NBA by not permitting its players to compete during the regular season, elite European teams (excluding their NBA-based players) will have a major advantage over US NTs comprised of NBA players. The level of chemistry they'd develop over a year and a half would far exceed anything USA Basketball could cobble together once the real competition starts. As far as chemistry, NBA-based US teams trailed their European counterparts under the old system...it could get worst under this new format.
                          The lack of chemistry is the result of an embarrassment of riches. Those teams developed that chemistry because they've been playing together for most of their time on their respective national teams. The turnover rate for your average national team is pretty low. If not for all of the options they'd have it.

Comment

The lack of chemistry is the result of an embarrassment of riches. Those teams developed that chemistry because they've been playing together for most of their time on their respective national teams. The turnover rate for your average national team is pretty low. If not for all of the options they'd have it.
                            I don't disagree with your point. Our depth has resulted in a trade off...we don't have the chemistry other nations have developed over a number of years, but we have overwhelming talent that keeps us ahead. But my question is how long can we rely strictly on depth and talent? I'm not complaining about the results, but to be honest, I envy the way Spain, Australia and Serbia play with cohesion. Imagine if we had that sort of team play...Scary.

Comment

Imo even with just the euro US players... Wanamaker, Wilbekin, Randolph, Hunter, Jackson, Doelmann, Doudelock, Udoh etc. US qualification shouldn't be a question at all.

Federoy; I'm glad you don't have that cohesion Even as of now, the difference in quality is just too big for these games to be interesting really.
                              Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

I don't disagree with your point. Our depth has resulted in a trade off...we don't have the chemistry other nations have developed over a number of years, but we have overwhelming talent that keeps us ahead. But my question is how long can we rely strictly on depth and talent? I'm not complaining about the results, but to be honest, I envy the way Spain, Australia and Serbia play with cohesion. Imagine if we had that sort of team play...Scary.
                                As long as our talent pool is so much better than everyone else? Forever probably. I mean the better non US players get the more likely they are to play in the NBA which means those teams will be in the same boat having to adjust.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information