Team USA 2019/2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team USA 2019/2020

With the conclusion of the 2016 Olympics, who do you think will be considered for the next two events?

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
    With the conclusion of the 2016 Olympics, who do you think will be considered for the next two events?
    There has been talk lately of LeBron James not really retiring from USA basketball. Media quickly fueled assumptions that James will play in 2020, but four years from now, I don't believe he will play.

Media are having fantasy lineups for 2020: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-mi...163145010.html

Even up to 2024! http://247sports.com/Gallery/What-th...-2024-46903624
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, James Harden, Klay Thompson, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard,
      Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond.

These 12 will all be in their prime.
      Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
        Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, James Harden, Klay Thompson, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard,
        Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond.

These 12 will all be in their prime.
        But you know all those guys won't play for various reasons: injuries, NBA finals run, bruised ego, etc. So the challenge is picking the surprises.

Devin Booker is my outside guy. Pop should pick him for no other reason than to recruit him for future USA teams. Booker could be a foundation piece like Carmelo has been for USA basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Beez View Post
          But you know all those guys won't play for various reasons: injuries, NBA finals run, bruised ego, etc. So the challenge is picking the surprises.

Devin Booker is my outside guy. Pop should pick him for no other reason than to recruit him for future USA teams. Booker could be a foundation piece like Carmelo has been for USA basketball.
          Blake, Kawhi, and Drummond have the highest possibility since they haven't suited up for the Olympics yet. Davis is right below them but I wouldn't be shocked if the 2019 team is full of guys who came into the league after 2014

Comment

Colangelo has stated they want to avoid entering tournaments with a large number of inexperienced players in the future but it seems any time that's happened it's been out of necessity due to players deciding not to participate. They also need to continue to incorporate younger players where possible to ensure some level of continuity into the future. It's hard to imagine many of the players who've participated in recent tournaments ending up on the '19 World Cup team so I expect them to be young and inexperienced.

I'll be interested in seeing just what kind of draw playing for Popovich will end up being. I can't see him taking the laissez-faire approach Coach K took but it's also hard to see him being as tough on players as he is with the Spirs in this context. I I believe players would consider it a valuable/unique experience to work with him either way so perhaps it will create some enthusiasm.

One factor that should help things with '20 is that Tokyo almost certainly won't present the issues that Rio was seen to have which likely affected participation, though in retrospect they seem embarrassingly overblown.

Comment

Originally posted by cagney View Post
              Colangelo has stated they want to avoid entering tournaments with a large number of inexperienced players in the future but it seems any time that's happened it's been out of necessity due to players deciding not to participate. They also need to continue to incorporate younger players where possible to ensure some level of continuity into the future. It's hard to imagine many of the players who've participated in recent tournaments ending up on the '19 World Cup team so I expect them to be young and inexperienced.

I'll be interested in seeing just what kind of draw playing for Popovich will end up being. I can't see him taking the laissez-faire approach Coach K took but it's also hard to see him being as tough on players as he is with the Spirs in this context. I I believe players would consider it a valuable/unique experience to work with him either way so perhaps it will create some enthusiasm.

One factor that should help things with '20 is that Tokyo almost certainly won't present the issues that Rio was seen to have which likely affected participation, though in retrospect they seem embarrassingly overblown.
              2019 will be new guys and I couldn't play because Blank guys.

Comment

Still far away, but Demarcus Cousins wants to play in Tokyo 2020: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/de...okyo-olympics/
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                  Still far away, but Demarcus Cousins wants to play in Tokyo 2020: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/de...okyo-olympics/
                  He should still be in his prime. He's a young 25, no playoff wear and tear since he plays for the Kings.

Comment

Lamarcus Aldrige would be the first to compete in 2019/2020,and then Kyrie Erving,Stephen Curry,Russel Westbrook,Isaiah Thomas,Eric Bledsoe,Jordan Clarkson,Kawhi Leonard,Gordon Hayward,Hassan Whiteside.Kemba Walker,Roy Hibbert,Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum.
                    Do you want to save big bucks for a T-shirt👕?Hurry up for our Online Store Promo,Our Volt Design T-shirt has Some Old Stocks T-shirts that are selling for 49 Pesos plus 79 pesos Shipping fee nationwide.🛵COD within Metro Manila is available,Pay 79 pesos shipping fee first on Provincial COD.Order Now!!🥰
                    Buy here👉https://www.pinoyhoopz.com/promo.html

Comment

Marc Stein: USA Basketball will attempt to qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup using non-NBA players
                      USA Basketball will attempt to qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup using non- NBA players due to changes in the qualifying format, according to Marc Stein of ESPN...
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                        Marc Stein: USA Basketball will attempt to qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup using non-NBA players
                        http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...cup-qualifying
                        Not surprising at all. With the amount of qualifying spots available they could basically send a high school team and qualify. What does it matter if you finish first or fifth as long as you qualify ?

Actually they can even finish 7th and qualify.
                        Are there even 8 countries in the Americas that can field a halfway decent team ?
                        Last edited by usagre; 05-02-2017, 11:58 PM.
                        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
                          Not surprising at all. With the amount of qualifying spots available they could basically send a high school team and qualify. What does it matter if you finish first or fifth as long as you qualify ?

Actually they can even finish 7th and qualify.
                          Are there even 8 countries in the Americas that can field a halfway decent team ?
                          Very true. Case in point is Mexico's situation with Ayon and Stoll alongside others who are also doubtful in the Home-and-Away format by FIBA: https://www.debate.com.mx/deportes/G...0425-0287.html
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

That could be a mistake. The wrong players get rated the highest these days and they could easily end up building a team of ball-dominant, no defense primadonnas who could cost them their chance at qualifying.

Comment

Originally posted by CHBB View Post
                              That could be a mistake. The wrong players get rated the highest these days and they could easily end up building a team of ball-dominant, no defense primadonnas who could cost them their chance at qualifying.
                              It's not like they'll have to win that many games to qualify. FIBA America isn't that deep.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information