Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 155

Thread: Team USA 2019/2020

  1. #1
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default Team USA 2019/2020

    With the conclusion of the 2016 Olympics, who do you think will be considered for the next two events?

  2. #2
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    22,080
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    With the conclusion of the 2016 Olympics, who do you think will be considered for the next two events?
    There has been talk lately of LeBron James not really retiring from USA basketball. Media quickly fueled assumptions that James will play in 2020, but four years from now, I don't believe he will play.

    Media are having fantasy lineups for 2020: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-mi...163145010.html

    Even up to 2024! http://247sports.com/Gallery/What-th...-2024-46903624
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,713
    Country: United States

    Default

    Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, James Harden, Klay Thompson, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard,
    Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond.

    These 12 will all be in their prime.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    123
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, James Harden, Klay Thompson, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard,
    Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Andre Drummond.

    These 12 will all be in their prime.
    But you know all those guys won't play for various reasons: injuries, NBA finals run, bruised ego, etc. So the challenge is picking the surprises.

    Devin Booker is my outside guy. Pop should pick him for no other reason than to recruit him for future USA teams. Booker could be a foundation piece like Carmelo has been for USA basketball.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beez View Post
    But you know all those guys won't play for various reasons: injuries, NBA finals run, bruised ego, etc. So the challenge is picking the surprises.

    Devin Booker is my outside guy. Pop should pick him for no other reason than to recruit him for future USA teams. Booker could be a foundation piece like Carmelo has been for USA basketball.
    Blake, Kawhi, and Drummond have the highest possibility since they haven't suited up for the Olympics yet. Davis is right below them but I wouldn't be shocked if the 2019 team is full of guys who came into the league after 2014

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    98
    Country: United States

    Default

    Colangelo has stated they want to avoid entering tournaments with a large number of inexperienced players in the future but it seems any time that's happened it's been out of necessity due to players deciding not to participate. They also need to continue to incorporate younger players where possible to ensure some level of continuity into the future. It's hard to imagine many of the players who've participated in recent tournaments ending up on the '19 World Cup team so I expect them to be young and inexperienced.

    I'll be interested in seeing just what kind of draw playing for Popovich will end up being. I can't see him taking the laissez-faire approach Coach K took but it's also hard to see him being as tough on players as he is with the Spirs in this context. I I believe players would consider it a valuable/unique experience to work with him either way so perhaps it will create some enthusiasm.

    One factor that should help things with '20 is that Tokyo almost certainly won't present the issues that Rio was seen to have which likely affected participation, though in retrospect they seem embarrassingly overblown.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cagney View Post
    Colangelo has stated they want to avoid entering tournaments with a large number of inexperienced players in the future but it seems any time that's happened it's been out of necessity due to players deciding not to participate. They also need to continue to incorporate younger players where possible to ensure some level of continuity into the future. It's hard to imagine many of the players who've participated in recent tournaments ending up on the '19 World Cup team so I expect them to be young and inexperienced.

    I'll be interested in seeing just what kind of draw playing for Popovich will end up being. I can't see him taking the laissez-faire approach Coach K took but it's also hard to see him being as tough on players as he is with the Spirs in this context. I I believe players would consider it a valuable/unique experience to work with him either way so perhaps it will create some enthusiasm.

    One factor that should help things with '20 is that Tokyo almost certainly won't present the issues that Rio was seen to have which likely affected participation, though in retrospect they seem embarrassingly overblown.
    2019 will be new guys and I couldn't play because Blank guys.

  8. #8
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    22,080
    Country: United States

    Default

    Still far away, but Demarcus Cousins wants to play in Tokyo 2020: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/de...okyo-olympics/
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    123
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Still far away, but Demarcus Cousins wants to play in Tokyo 2020: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/de...okyo-olympics/
    He should still be in his prime. He's a young 25, no playoff wear and tear since he plays for the Kings.

  10. #10
    Senior Member allan_373's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    114
    Country: Philippines

    Default

    Lamarcus Aldrige would be the first to compete in 2019/2020,and then Kyrie Erving,Stephen Curry,Russel Westbrook,Isaiah Thomas,Eric Bledsoe,Jordan Clarkson,Kawhi Leonard,Gordon Hayward,Hassan Whiteside.Kemba Walker,Roy Hibbert,Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum.

  11. #11
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    22,080
    Country: United States

    Default

    Marc Stein: USA Basketball will attempt to qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup using non-NBA players
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...cup-qualifying
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,713
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CKR13 View Post
    Marc Stein: USA Basketball will attempt to qualify for the 2019 FIBA World Cup using non-NBA players
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...cup-qualifying
    Not surprising at all. With the amount of qualifying spots available they could basically send a high school team and qualify. What does it matter if you finish first or fifth as long as you qualify ?

    Actually they can even finish 7th and qualify.
    Are there even 8 countries in the Americas that can field a halfway decent team ?
    Last edited by usagre; 05-02-2017 at 11:58 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member CKR13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    22,080
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post
    Not surprising at all. With the amount of qualifying spots available they could basically send a high school team and qualify. What does it matter if you finish first or fifth as long as you qualify ?

    Actually they can even finish 7th and qualify.
    Are there even 8 countries in the Americas that can field a halfway decent team ?
    Very true. Case in point is Mexico's situation with Ayon and Stoll alongside others who are also doubtful in the Home-and-Away format by FIBA: https://www.debate.com.mx/deportes/G...0425-0287.html
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    That could be a mistake. The wrong players get rated the highest these days and they could easily end up building a team of ball-dominant, no defense primadonnas who could cost them their chance at qualifying.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    That could be a mistake. The wrong players get rated the highest these days and they could easily end up building a team of ball-dominant, no defense primadonnas who could cost them their chance at qualifying.
    It's not like they'll have to win that many games to qualify. FIBA America isn't that deep.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    It's not like they'll have to win that many games to qualify. FIBA America isn't that deep.
    It's deeper than you're making it out to be, and if they build the wrong team they could easily not win any.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    It's deeper than you're making it out to be, and if they build the wrong team they could easily not win any.
    That seems a bit like overkill
    There's maybe two teams in FIBA Americas that will be even close to full strength.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    That seems a bit like overkill
    There's maybe two teams in FIBA Americas that will be even close to full strength.
    That's an incorrect usage of the word. I believe the term you were looking for was an exaggeration.

    Scrappy depleted teams will beat teams with fundamental flaws nine times out of ten. Waste enough offensive and defensive possessions and you'll see how much "talent" does for you.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    390
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    That's an incorrect usage of the word. I believe the term you were looking for was an exaggeration.

    Scrappy depleted teams will beat teams with fundamental flaws nine times out of ten. Waste enough offensive and defensive possessions and you'll see how much "talent" does for you.
    Are you just assuming they'll pluck players at random without thought to chemistry? That seems insane, even for you. That's a worst case scenario at best. Beside what would you have them do instead? It's not like they can use college players or NBA players. Besides, this is the D-League. When has anyone ever over hyped the talent of a D-League player?

  20. #20
    Senior Member Dtown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts
    3,499
    Country: United States

    Default

    First round draw is done and I think US might have landed in the toughest group.

    United States, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba.

    Now really they really just have to get two wins against Cuba to make the next round, but I think Mexico and Puerto Rico might have some decent non NBA/Euroleague talent.

    edit: Funny enough Game 1 of the qualifiers is on Thanksgiving in the US.
    Last edited by Dtown; 05-07-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

    Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •