Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Olympics ( Rio de Janeiro ) - your final thoughts

Did you enjoy the tournament ?
    What do you think about your team/ opponents results and performances ?
    Best players or biggest disappointment ?
    Future for your team ?
    And or anything that comes to your mind after tournament had finished .

Edit :
    best game of the tournament ?

Edit 2 :
    was this tournament more interesting for you than London 2012 ?
    Last edited by auris1; 08-21-2016, 10:24 PM.
    And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Originally posted by auris1 View Post
    Future for your team ?
    Yes I did. Even the bad games.
    Gotta say even though they only won one game I'm proud of Nigeria.
    USA Basketball is going to be fine. The King is Dead(Coach K). Long Live the King(Pop).
    Maybe FIBA comes to their senses and fix the cycle before it starts.

Comment

Group games were more itneresting than final round.The thing i'll remember from this olympics is the disgusting robbery of Australia.I'll never forget it,the refs simply took their bronze and handed it to Spain.What a shameful behavior to a country where bball isnt even top 10 sport but they've been producing solid players for 20 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
        Group games were more itneresting than final round.The thing i'll remember from this olympics is the disgusting robbery of Australia.I'll never forget it,the refs simply took their bronze and handed it to Spain.What a shameful behavior to a country where bball isnt even top 10 sport but they've been producing solid players for 20 years now.
        I did not go into that specific thread and now i am afraid is too late .
        So i am just going to ask you - are you talking about the last call against Mills or just general refereeing for that game ?
        I saw last 2 quarters ,but since i really did not care for the winner ...there was some funny calls , was there ?

Comment

Future for your team ?
          I always enjoy international basketball, summer is dull sporting wise so it's always a great break.
          Biggest disappointment: France, A poor outing from them.
          Biggest Surprise/disappointment: Australia's development. I feel they should have made it out with a medal. Disastrous outing against Serbia followed by a heartbreaking loss to Spain.
          Future: New coach, and transitioning out of the Redeem Team era (though Lebron has hinted at 2020)
          Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

For me , the biggest surprise was Spain - the way they came back from two very disappointing loses was remarkable .
            And have nothing but admiration for this generation of Spanish players .
            And i am sort of disappointed not to see Spain and Serbia play against each other .

Comment

I did not go into that specific thread and now i am afraid is too late .
              So i am just going to ask you - are you talking about the last call against Mills or just general refereeing for that game ?
              I saw last 2 quarters ,but since i really did not care for the winner ...there was some funny calls , was there ?
              last two calls..Baynes foul on Gasol,questionable at best(and a call Baynes would never get on the other side)..The final call on Mills was simply one of the worst calls in history of international basketball.Up there with Pitsilkas calling foul on Scola in 2002 WC final.

Comment

This year was the end of the old guard (Argentina, Spain) and a sneak peek at the new (Serbia, Croatia, Australia). Nigeria may become the first African country to be taken seriously in FIBA.

Still, the new king is the same as the old one. My biggest takeaway on the American side is they are still the only country that emphasizes defense as an individual talent, instead of simply a team strategy. That remains the biggest difference between them and the rest of the world: they have a much wider margin for error because they can rely on their defense when their offense isn't working. For everyone else when shots aren't falling they lose focus and fall apart.

Comment

Best game of the tournament was Brazil/Argentina, followed closely by Spain/Australia.
                  Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

I think it was a great tournament in general, mainly thanks to group B. Knockout rounds saw maybe 2-3 really inferesting games, so I think that phase was generally disappointing, bronze and final games maybe the most.
                    A proper rollercoaster for Serbian fans. Disappointing games with Australia and France, then a huge moral boost against USA, then the expected nail biting game with Croatia, followed by a new big moral boost with Australia, which was basically our goal fulfilled, and then a massive disappointment in the finals, potentially ruining everything. No one expected us to win, but we definitely didn't expect an epic blowout either.

But oh well, good times ahead for us, big European rivals getting old and retiring while our team will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                      ..The final call on Mills was simply one of the worst calls in history of international basketball..
                      I do not know about that . Soft call ,maybe ? 50/ 50 ? One could argue about it with no end .
                      Not so sure if anyone would care enough to jeopardise their careers for this one game or call .

Comment

our team would have had great chances of reaching semifinals if our opponent would have been another team. We didnt have a chance against US.
                        I liked the group games better. knockout games were blowouts, except bronze medal game Spain vs Australia.

Olympic champion always from Americas.
                        1992, 1996, 2000
                        2008, 2012, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                          our team would have had great chances of reaching semifinals if our opponent would have been another team. We didnt have a chance against US.
                          You do not blame Lithuania for that, do you ?

Comment

You do not blame Lithuania for that, do you ?
                            nope. 5 teams in group b were evenly matched and competitive teams.

Comment

Not a great Olympic games for basketball at all. We have not seen a really good display of the sport.

Brazil vs Argentina was the best match by far.

An interesting point that I would like to add is that Brazil won the gold medal in football and volleyball and reached the quarters finals of the handball and waterpolo tournaments. So how can basketball changes its current bad situation through the country being out of the playoff played at home? The answer is: There is no hope for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information