Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronze Medal Match: Australia vs Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Steadysoul View Post
    I mean what's the point of Eurobasket if it doesn't get you a spot in the WC anymore?
    Ethical.At least for us like Liths,Serbs,Spaniards and the rest,you can't boycott a tournament.And I am sure despite all those sayings,most fans here will demand a medal.

Quote Originally Posted by R1ou View Post
    Ethical.At least for us like Liths,Serbs,Spaniards and the rest,you can't boycott a tournament.And I am sure despite all those sayings,most fans here will demand a medal.
    And that's fine but I don't expect any NBA players to participate. It's hard to justify to a FO. "Yeah it doesn't count as a qualifier anymore but I really want to play for my country" isn't going to fly for many of the players. FIBA should have kept them as qualifiers and given teams 2018 off completely.

And that's fine but I don't expect any NBA players to participate. It's hard to justify to a FO. "Yeah it doesn't count as a qualifier anymore but I really want to play for my country" isn't going to fly for many of the players. FIBA should have kept them as qualifiers and given teams 2018 off completely.

Hopefully Giannis will accomplish his promise Jokes aside,I didn't expect myself for them to play when FIBA announced the new schedule.But the rookies will most likely play their first competition in 3 years from now.No Eurobasket,no qualifiers+free summer.For God's sake,FIBA.

Hopefully Giannis will accomplish his promise Jokes aside,I didn't expect myself for them to play when FIBA announced the new schedule.But the rookies will most likely play their first competition in 3 years from now.No Eurobasket,no qualifiers+free summer.For God's sake,FIBA.
    there desire to give players a summer off was great....their execution? straight butt cheeks. The qualifiers are the only issue.

I feel Eurobasket might still be decent, but it won't have the same feel as the Olympic Qualifying years. Still it has enough history to survive I feel.

Likewise, the Asia-Pacific, Africa titles should be fine because teams rarely get the chance to compete in major tournaments.

FIBA Americas though is dead. Unlike the other tournaments FIBA Americas has always just been a qualifying tournament. I can't see the US ever sending even a D team to it. Same goes for all the powerhouses now.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    I feel Eurobasket might still be decent, but it won't have the same feel as the Olympic Qualifying years. Still it has enough history to survive I feel.

Likewise, the Asia-Pacific, Africa titles should be fine because teams rarely get the chance to compete in major tournaments.

FIBA Americas though is dead. Unlike the other tournaments FIBA Americas has always just been a qualifying tournament. I can't see the US ever sending even a D team to it. Same goes for all the powerhouses now.

They still can skip it.Qualification for Tokyo comes from Mundobasket 2019.The Top-3 teams from America's,the Top-4 from Europe etc.

Eurobasket could be decent,but Imo I didn't like the fact that from now on the tournament will be held every 4 years,after 2017.Plus as it's already been mentioned,no motivation for the superstars to come and play.This truly sucks,considering that the NBA catches every young prospect.It could be like another Euroleague just with national teams participating.After some years I believe(not hope) that it could have the prestige of lower continental championships.It might not be seemed 2017 and 2021,but honestly overhyped rookies won't/don't give a shit about FIBA.Come and playing once or twice in 3 years would reduce the level of international basketball.No competition anymore,just the luckiest one who will produce consistently players will dominate in the region.Boring as hell.

Short of FIBA making it mandatory (which they might have done for all we know) USA Basketball will continue to skip the zone cups.

Short of FIBA making it mandatory (which they might have done for all we know) USA Basketball will continue to skip the zone cups.
    Which is to be expected, but I can't imagine seeing Argentina, Brazil, or Canada's A listers anymore either. They'd have more luck making it an U20 tournament.

Which is to be expected, but I can't imagine seeing Argentina, Brazil, or Canada's A listers anymore either. They'd have more luck making it an U20 tournament.
    I have vague memories of the Pan Am Games being somewhat of a big deal. Bobby Knight coached a team at least once. I looked at the 2015 roster and we had a 31 year old Keith Langford on the team. That told me we no longer take the tournament seriously.
    Last edited by Beez; 08-21-2016 at 02:57 AM.

Oh this takes Canada out at the knees. They're going to struggle to get players to participate

They still can skip it.Qualification for Tokyo comes from Mundobasket 2019.The Top-3 teams from America's,the Top-4 from Europe etc.

Eurobasket could be decent,but Imo I didn't like the fact that from now on the tournament will be held every 4 years,after 2017.Plus as it's already been mentioned,no motivation for the superstars to come and play.This truly sucks,considering that the NBA catches every young prospect.It could be like another Euroleague just with national teams participating.After some years I believe(not hope) that it could have the prestige of lower continental championships.It might not be seemed 2017 and 2021,but honestly overhyped rookies won't/don't give a shit about FIBA.Come and playing once or twice in 3 years would reduce the level of international basketball.No competition anymore,just the luckiest one who will produce consistently players will dominate in the region.Boring as hell.
    Nonsense. Eurobasket is a respectable tournament by itself. Countries will want to become European champions first and foremost. Prestige wise, it is harder to win a medal at Eurobasket rather than the WC. Second tier and perhaps third tier European teams are better than most Asian and African teams.

Actually, it was disrespectful from FIBA to use Eurobasket as a qualifying tournament. And also, the point ranking system has to be adapted. Eurobasket champions should at least get almost as many points as an Olympic or World champion.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

That lineup with Patty Mills and the backups is brutal. Yes, they move the ball...they pass it around until the last second on the shot clock and Mills jacks up a contested 3. Just not enough scorers for Australia.

Australia came out shakey at first, but their offense settled in. This might be a good game.

Russell Crowe has let himself go

Just a two point game at halftime.

Australia needs to continue being physical with Spain. It's the Boomers only chance.

Nice game so far. I hope Rubio will splash in 2nd half GO España!!!

Stupid foul by Bogut to start the third.

Edit: And they didn't get him out of the game. Bogut's done.

43-42 lead.. momentum is on boomers side

damn bogut..

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast