Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Bronze Medal Match: Australia vs Spain

But, of course, that play shouldn't even have happened. But just because the referees forgot their most important rule during the previous play: always help Spain!

For those of you who didn't catch the replays, previously on this court Baynes had made a hook shot with a bit of a lucky bounce. As the ball bounced off the rim, there was a little Spanish player ready to swipe it preventing the basket. A 2.06, athletic player otherwise known as Victor Claver.

Look at the looming, pixelated figure just behind him. He's David Andersen and he's having nothing of it.

Just as Claver jumps up, he places both hands in his back and a miracle happens.

In an unexpected turn of events, Claver loses his balance and fails to reach the ball.

That mysterious force even sends him to the floor afterwards. It's like someone shoved him from behind, but that's impossible because there was just David Andersen and we know he's like the saint patron of sportsmanlike behaviour. For God's sake, earlier in the game he was unrattled when dirty Lllull smeared his greasy beard all over his elbow and didn't retaliate as was his right. Surely he wasn't going to risk his 5th foul here, was he?

But let your imagination fly and think for a moment the refs would have fall for the obvious flopping from Claver and called a foul on Andersen. The basket wouldn't count, and Spain could extend their lead to 3 with less than 10 seconds to go. And we all saw how nicely the Aussies played their last possession. Not the right way to end such a battled game. Maybe it was better to wait for an even more blatant way to handle Spain the medal. Those little, mischievous refs!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
    But, of course, that play shouldn't even have happened. But just because the referees forgot their most important rule during the previous play: always help Spain!

For those of you who didn't catch the replays, previously on this court Baynes had made a hook shot with a bit of a lucky bounce. As the ball bounced off the rim, there was a little Spanish player ready to swipe it preventing the basket. A 2.06, athletic player otherwise known as Victor Claver.
    That was a good one. Couldn't see the replays so thanks for the post!
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-22-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Quoted text reduced in size

Ah the liitle old trick of putting screencaps to prove if there was or not a foul.How cute.By using stills you can "discover" a foul literally on every play of a basketball game.Of course in the second case it backfires cause Gasol also pushes Ingles so at best it's a double foul and Australia stiil gets the points.99% percent of twitter basketball community agreed that it was a bs call.But of course only Darell Armstrong and ACB foros know the rules,the rest of the world who saw no foul are just Spain haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    Ah the liitle old trick of putting screencaps to prove if there was or not a foul.How cute.By using stills you can "discover" a foul literally on every play of a basketball game.Of course in the second case it backfires cause Gasol also pushes Ingles so at best it's a double foul and Australia stiil gets the points.99% percent of twitter basketball community agreed that it was a bs call.But of course only Darell Armstrong and ACB foros know the rules,the rest of the world who saw no foul are just Spain haters.
    I provided evidence. You provide hate

In the Mills play, will you deny he is in a bad position to defend the basket and creates contact with his right leg? In the Baynes play, actually I thought I established no one shoves anyone. Why would you think Andersen is doing anything more than softly caressing Claver's back? Just because he crashes onto the floor afterwards? He's a pussy. And Ingles is able to land perfectly safe? Of course! He's a tough Aussie!

No Mills has a legal defending position.you dont have to be still once you establish a position,you can move back just like Mills did.Rodrigues initiated the (minimal) contact..what was Mills supposed to do,dissapear?

No Mills has a legal defending position.you dont have to be still once you establish a position,you can move back just like Mills did.Rodrigues initiated the (minimal) contact..what was Mills supposed to do,dissapear?
    It's not about being still. It's about moving his right leg outside his cylinder, leaving it in the path of the player with the ball. Backtracking is not the cause for the foul. It's just a way to cover up for the previous contact.

Maybe you need to see it again:

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 09.02.53.jpg

OMG! An extended leg! Touching Sergio! But clearly not a foul because...

your stills mean nothing to me..i have seen actuall gifs of the play from both angles.As has the rest of basketball world.And 99% agree that it was a bs bailout call.Forgot to add Bill Simmons tweet..(another well known Spain hater)

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/stat...96812512604160

your stills mean nothing to me..i have seen actuall gifs of the play from both angles.As has the rest of basketball world.And 99% agree that it was a bs bailout call.Forgot to add Bill Simmons tweet..(another well known Spain hater)

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/stat...96812512604160
    Why don't you provide those gifs, then, instead of quoting guys who just provide their opinion?

what's the point?You wont change my opinion,i wont change yours..the thing is that when only spaniards and about 1% of the rest of bball fans think that it was a good call then it was propably just what it seemed.A nonexistant foul given by refs who were helping Spain all game long(didnt even bring bs Banyes foul on Gasol on the discussion,in a game that was goin toe to toe last 4 Spanish points were because of soft foul calls)

what's the point?You wont change my opinion,i wont change yours..the thing is that when only spaniards and about 1% of the rest of bball fans think that it was a good call then it was propably just what it seemed.A nonexistant foul given by refs who were helping Spain all game long(didnt even bring bs Banyes foul on Gasol on the discussion,in a game that was goin toe to toe last 4 Spanish points were because of soft foul calls)

So, you dismiss the evidence I provide on basis of not being consistent with your opinion. And you expect me to do the same! LOL!

/thread

lmfao at calling a bunch of blurry screencaps along with your interpretation of rules "evidence"

Why don't you provide those gifs, then, instead of quoting guys who just provide their opinion?
    For a better judgment maybe, a gif was provided last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Picek View Post
    now find me a foul here:
    https://streamable.com/k7nc
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

I don't see why we're focusing on the last call only. The refs were pushing Spain all throughout the 2nd half. There would have been way more fouls called on Spain if their was meritocracy in their calls and way more free throws awarded to Australia. Or fouls of Gasol that were given to other players.

In the words of Andrew Bogut:
    Some of them you could see on the tape how obvious they were. You tap these guys and they go flying and the referees bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by kukulas View Post
    I don't see why we're focusing on the last call only. The refs were pushing Spain all throughout the 2nd half. There would have been way more fouls called on Spain if their was meritocracy in their calls and way more free throws awarded to Australia. Or fouls of Gasol that were given to other players.

In the words of Andrew Bogut:
    Some of them you could see on the tape how obvious they were. You tap these guys and they go flying and the referees bought it.
    OMG!!! Then it was a non called foul!

There is also an undeniable bias towards Spanish NT about their flopping, which has been earned over the years, and it won't wash away easily. Others have done it too, but this got stuck to Spain. Especially when players like Rudy still keeps the habit. Do you remember the play where he knocked the ball out of Mills' hands, then put his hands over his head, regretting he could have stolen the ball? and then he suddenly changed his mind and challenged the refs for no reason at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    For a better judgment maybe, a gif was provided last night.
    Wow. The same blurry source material I derived the captures from. And it's even more obvious there that Mills never establishes position, as he's going left and has to stop, regain balance, and start moving back and to his right in a few milliseconds to prevent Rodriguez from advancing.

Wow. The same blurry source material I derived the captures from. And it's even more obvious there that Mills never establishes position, as he's going left and has to stop, regain balance, and start moving back and to his right in a few milliseconds to prevent Rodriguez from advancing.
    I shared the gif as requested, not to support any side of the debate.

But the fact that you had to dissect the whole play into tiny fragments to be able to find an evidence of foul shows that it was not a clear call, and it feels bad when it decides the outcome. A non-call would do the same, but would "look" more fair. So I personally do not consider this as a blatant mistake, but an unfortunate play to end a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Levenspiel View Post
    I shared the gif as requested, not to support any side of the debate.

But the fact that you had to dissect the whole play into tiny fragments to be able to find an evidence of foul shows that it was not a clear call, and it feels bad when it decides the outcome. A non-call would do the same, but would "look" more fair. So I personally do not consider this as a blatant mistake, but an unfortunate play to end a great game.
    I said it before: there's minimal contact in that play and Sergio clearly exaggerates it. It could have been a no-call. If I had to dissect it it's because some were crying over that play claiming Australia had been robbed. And that's not the case. Following the rules, it's not a bad call. And about letting the players decide the outcome of the game, the refs did just that in the previous play ignoring the possible offensive foul on Andersen. So you're asking them to bail Australia out two plays in row.

The real issue here is Australia defended that play really poorly. No way Mills should have been in that position.

Again I was vindicated 100% AND for the spanish basketball junta.They get all the calls as i have said for many years.
    And people make the mistake of focusing on the last play.
    In the last 5 minutes Belocevic gives 3 scandalous plays to Spain:

Around 3:00 before the end belocevic turns a clear defensive foul of rudy to a charge.In fact is the definition of a defensive foul rudy is moving his feet and miraculously the serb gives a charge.
    At 40 seconds before the end Belocevic again gives a non-existent touch foul against Baynes and sends Gasol to the FT line.
    And the last play where mills backslides and tries to avoid contract is not a foul.
    I think the third decision is least bad and the first the most scandalous of all.

Belocevic had a clear INTENTION to help spain in the last 5 minutes.Whoever knows basketball saw and can understand that and those who don't are clueless and clearly biased.
    Belocevic with this shameful performance should be stigmatized and FIBA sould expell him from all future FIBA competitions.
    Anything different from that will be a cover up and will tarnish the crediblity of future FIBA competitions substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by mchale View Post
    Again I was vindicated 100% AND for the spanish basketball junta.They get all the calls as i have said for many years.
    And people make the mistake of focusing on the last play.
    In the last 5 minutes Belocevic gives 3 scandalous plays to Spain:

Around 3:00 before the end belocevic turns a clear defensive foul of rudy to a charge.In fact is the definition of a defensive foul rudy is moving his feet and miraculously the serb gives a charge.
    At 40 seconds before the end Belocevic again gives a non-existent touch foul against Baynes and sends Gasol to the FT line.
    And the last play where mills backslides and tries to avoid contract is not a foul.
    I think the third decision is least bad and the first the most scandalous of all.

Belocevic had a clear INTENTION to help spain in the last 5 minutes.Whoever knows basketball saw and can understand that and those who don't are clueless and clearly biased.
    Belocevic with this shameful performance should be stigmatized and FIBA sould expell him from all future FIBA competitions.
    Anything different from that will be a cover up and will tarnish the crediblity of future FIBA competitions substantially.
    To turn this into a joke This must all be Jordi's fault as well

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast