View Poll Results: the Olympic Champion will be

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • the USA

    7 58.33%
  • Serbia

    5 41.67%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 376

Thread: Gold Medal Match: USA vs Serbia

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    It's the first summer for Jokic, Bjelica who's normally a big part isn't there. No one stopped the US from playing in FIBA americas, they chose the rest which is a luxury for others.

    That the other teams have access to some mystical chemistry because some of their players played together for a month last year is an excuse.
    It's makes as much sense to say that the US has better chemistry because all its players meet for the all-star weekend.
    Facts are facts. You mentioned Jokic for Bjelica as key players that were different. Why did you stop there ? Oh because there aren't any other differences. Stop being biased a blind squirrel can see that this Serbian team is all but identical for three consecutive summers. It's not an excuse it's a fact. It's an advantage that they have but weighed against all their disadvantages I agree that if Usa loses like you said that's just too bad. They could have participated in other events to build cohesion. But don't pretend that it's some mythical chemistry. It's real.
    Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-21-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: quotation fixed

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,773
    Country: Greece

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usagre View Post


    Facts are facts. You mentioned Jokic for Bjelica as key players that were different. Why did you stop there ? Oh because there aren't any other differences. Stop being biased a blind squirrel can see that this Serbian team is all but identical for three consecutive summers. It's not an excuse it's a fact. It's an advantage that they have but weighed against all their disadvantages I agree that if Usa loses like you said that's just too bad. They could have participated in other events to build cohesion. But don't pretend that it's some mythical chemistry. It's real.
    Yes, the kind of chemistry you attain by playing together with some of the same players for 1 month every year is definitely mythical.
    I've seen basketball enough to know that teams don't have any special chemistry in October.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oly_fan View Post
    Yes, the kind of chemistry you attain by playing together with some of the same players for 1 month every year is definitely mythical.
    I've seen basketball enough to know that teams don't have any special chemistry in October.
    Ok we'll agree to disagree. But let me get this straight your position is that all teams start from an identical spot during camp before a tournament. And if units remain identical summer to summer that creates no leg up or advantage against a team put together for the first time ?

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    123
    Country: United States

    Default

    Whatever you say about Kyrie's game -- and he is one of the most critiqued players in The Association -- no one can accuse him of being afraid on the big stage. I would play George more and Melo less and encourage Kyrie to look for his shot. But Coach K hasn't lost a game in 10 years, so it's difficult to question him if he believes Melo is the better option.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,972

    Default

    @Beez

    I agree 100%. We all know Kyrie can't play defense and that he isn't a true playmaking point guard. But if you let that be the entire narrative then you just being unfair. He is a lethal offensive weapon that can finish at the rim and shoot mid range and long range. And only haters could argue with how clutch he is after the NBA finals and his destruction of Curry.
    I think he's gonna be big in this game and other than Durant I want him shooting with the game on the line more than anyone else on this team.

    And I definitely prefer George to Melo. He's a better passer and defender and with Klay, Durant and Kyrie we don't need his scoring when they are all on the same court. Now in the past Coach K never hesitated to bench Carmelo in the big moments both in '08 and '12 against Spain. In '08 he went small with Wade, Kobe and LeBron and in '12 he went with LeBron and Durant.
    Last edited by usagre; 08-20-2016 at 02:54 PM.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,273
    Country: United States

    Default

    Okay hold up a second here....

    One of the most critiqued players in the NBA? By who? I've literally never seen Kyrie criticized or critiqued. I've seen nothing but universal praise no matter how crappy he plays.

    He got handed the keys to the franchise on draft day. From his rookie year on, the Cavs were the "Kyrie Show". He didn't pass the ball to Waiters. Waiters was made out to be a baby. Delly comes in and misses a shot after Kyrie spent an entire game dribbling the air out of the ball and missing a bunch of shots. Delly is called garbage and blamed. He didn't pass the ball to Love. Not only is Love made out to be garbage and somebody who needs to be traded, LeBron is blamed for it the same way he took the heat in Miami when Wade didn't pass it to Bosh. In the Finals, he redeems his atrocious play in every game with a clutch three after bricking a bunch of shots and almost costing his team the game in every game of that playoffs, and he's made out to be amazing.

    On Team USA, it's been the exact same thing. I've yet to see him have even an above mediocre game in a US uniform.

    And I'm sorry but I refuse to call somebody who can't get past even a decent defender without a screen an offensive weapon or a scorer. Is that really how far our standards have dropped?

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    703
    Country: Cyprus

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beez View Post
    Whatever you say about Kyrie's game -- and he is one of the most critiqued players in The Association -- no one can accuse him of being afraid on the big stage. I would play George more and Melo less and encourage Kyrie to look for his shot. But Coach K hasn't lost a game in 10 years, so it's difficult to question him if he believes Melo is the better option.
    I agree with this judgment, Irving's talent seems indispensable at this moment in order to break the opponent's defence, moreover he gives me the impression to consider the importance of this competition more seriously than others. Butler was a disaster and i don't like him anyway, i have to admit that i also dislike DeRozan and his chronic anarchic style.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Steadysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    351
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronmercer80 View Post
    I agree with this judgment, Irving's talent seems indispensable at this moment in order to break the opponent's defence, moreover he gives me the impression to consider the importance of this competition more seriously than others. Butler was a disaster and i don't like him anyway, i have to admit that i also dislike DeRozan and his chronic anarchic style.
    When I look at how Demar plays it just seems so disconnected to the stats he puts up.
    With that said, I hope we don't pick the team like this again. We need a full training camp in order to put together a more complimentary team. Egos be damned the old way worked.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,905
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    If USA play like they did against Spain, we will win.

    But I have a feeling that tonight we will watch the best of USA in Rio.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    688
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    CoachZ, yor last tip with Markovic was good for me Who would you expect to have good game against USA. I will have Teo, but need your opinion again about Jokic, Bogda, Markovic and Macvan. Also Melo, could you guys make him choke like Mills ?

  11. #51
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,173
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LDK View Post
    CoachZ, yor last tip with Markovic was good for me Who would you expect to have good game against USA. I will have Teo, but need your opinion again about Jokic, Bogda, Markovic and Macvan. Also Melo, could you guys make him choke like Mills ?
    I was lucky enough to stay away from Melo lately I mean look at his % in last games after that explosion vs Australia, it's horrible - 7/20 from 2, 5/20 from 3. But I bought him today for wtf reason


  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    688
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I am thinking about Melo too, because he is most experienced player and gets many shots with Durant. DeAndre coud be interisting option too, because Cousins is brainless. Irving, Klay and Durantula are must for me from team USA.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    If USA play like they did against Spain, we will win.

    But I have a feeling that tonight we will watch the best of USA in Rio.
    And if Serbia plays like they did against Croatia it'll be a massacre.You guys never learn.It's like reading 2014 WC final thread all over again.Team USA didnt look convincing back the neither,Serbia looked like a well oiled machine,and we know what happened.

  14. #54
    Senior Member ThePeraCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    1,651
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    If USA play like they did against Spain, we will win.

    But I have a feeling that tonight we will watch the best of USA in Rio.
    lolol hahaha
    Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

  15. #55
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,905
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    And if Serbia plays like they did against Croatia it'll be a massacre.You guys never learn.It's like reading 2014 WC final thread all over again.Team USA didnt look convincing back the neither,Serbia looked like a well oiled machine,and we know what happened.
    It' true. But what I wrote is also true...

  16. #56
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,905
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePeraCar View Post
    lolol hahaha

    hahahaahahahahahahahah

    lol

  17. #57
    Senior Member CoachZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,225
    Country: Serbia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LDK View Post
    CoachZ, yor last tip with Markovic was good for me Who would you expect to have good game against USA. I will have Teo, but need your opinion again about Jokic, Bogda, Markovic and Macvan. Also Melo, could you guys make him choke like Mills ?
    I think you should bypass Markovic in this one since he will not be able to penetrate as much as he did vs Australia, and his shot is inconsistent. He might play great but it's a gamble. Jokic will have a good game since he plays well vs Physical centers. Bogdanovic was cold vs Australia, so he should be hot now, but bear in mind that they will try to lock him up with second best defender in the backcourt. Macvan is gonna have a good game since I expect us to start again with a big lineup so him vs Melo, that is very favorable. I would go with Macvan first and Jokic second.

  18. #58
    Moderator Mindozas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,173
    Country: Lithuania

    Default

    I think the team which will score more points will win


  19. #59
    Senior Member Jon_Koncak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obina View Post
    It' true. But what I wrote is also true...
    no its not true.USA beat Spain convincingly.Last time a Gasol led team lost a knock out game convincingly was in 2003.If any other european team had beaten Spain the way USA did two days ago everyone would praise them.The expectations for USA are jsut unreal.Anything less than a 25 point win seems like a failure and a sign of weakness.

  20. #60
    Senior Member Obina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,905
    Country: Montenegro

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
    no its not true.USA beat Spain convincingly.Last time a Gasol led team lost a knock out game convincingly was in 2003.If any other european team had beaten Spain the way USA did two days ago everyone would praise them.The expectations for USA are jsut unreal.Anything less than a 25 point win seems like a failure and a sign of weakness.
    The point is that we have some small chances. We need to give our maximum and USA to play mediocre like some games on this tournament. In Spain we were without chances because USA played like a hell during whole tournament, imo the best USA team in last couple of years..

    I can say 90-10 for USA.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •