33. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA

15 45.45%
  • Spain

18 54.55%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SF: USA vs. Spain

Default SF: USA vs. Spain

The US seemed to wake up against Argentina, but Spain has been playing incredible ball since they thrashed Lithuania. There may not be a better opportunity for Spain to finally top the US at the Olympics. Is this the year they get it done? Or does this continue to rivalry equivalent of Hammer vs. Nail?
    Last edited by Dtown; 08-17-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

More worried about this one than I was in 08 or 12. Spain isn't as good as they were those years but neither are we, and they're playing really well at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Quote Originally Posted by Dtown View Post
    The US seemed to wake up against Argentina, but Spain has been playing incredible ball since they thrashed Argentina. There may not be a better opportunity for Spain to finally top the US at the Olympics. Is this the year they get it done? Or does this continue to rivalry equivalent of Hammer vs. Nail?

The blowout game with Argentina might relaxes USA going to this game.

We've seen this movie before. Shootout at the OK corral. Defense is optional. Both teams in 100's or definetely in the 90's.
    Kevin Durant will not let us lose. If Spain tilts towards him, too many scorers on team USA. Give Spain a 20% chance.

Spain is the only team left who can beat USA .
    I hope they can do that ,although chances are slim .

USA is a 15.5 point favorite. A little too high for me. I would set it in the 10-12 range.

Without Marc and Ibaka Spain will be smashed.

I can't see Spain winning this one. Understand that Pau will not dominate our bigs like he did Gobert and Lauvergne, which means Mirotic won't be able to just go off. Their guards will outclass our starters for a bit but we aren't France. Coach K will put in Lowry, Butler, Draymond, etc and we'll swing the game back. Only way we can lose is if Coach K keeps the starters in too long.

The score was 19-9 when Coach K substituted George for Carmelo. USA went on a 7-0 run. Argentina called time out after a George steal and dunk. That was the turning point in the game.

Hopefully, we'll see more Durant and George together at the forward positions against Spain, especially since Mirotic is not really a power forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Beez View Post
    The score was 19-9 when Coach K substituted George for Carmelo. USA went on a 7-0 run. Argentina called time out after a George steal and dunk. That was the turning point in the game.

Hopefully, we'll see more Durant and George together at the forward positions against Spain, especially since Mirotic is not really a power forward.
    He substituted in the entire second unit. To give PG the credit because of one play is asinine. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice -albeit lucky play- but it wasn't a momentum type of play. PG gets credit for the great play on both ends by Lowry, Butler, and -defensively at least- by Draymond because of a lucky steal and lazy fast break dunk.

America will beat Spain, Spain should be able to keep it within 15 , but Australia is Americans biggest challenge to come.

Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    He substituted in the entire second unit. To give PG the credit because of one play is asinine. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice -albeit lucky play- but it wasn't a momentum type of play. PG gets credit for the great play on both ends by Lowry, Butler, and -defensively at least- by Draymond because of a lucky steal and lazy fast break dunk.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, just not your own facts. Coach K did not substitute the entire second unit. He substituted George for Carmelo first. Later in the 1st quarter he substituted Lowry, Cousins, and Butler but left Durant and George in. Durant finished with an efficiency rating of 34 and +21. George was +28. They were deadly together. But we know that facts don't matter to you...you have your opinion and it never changes.

DMC plays better as a reserve. In 2014, Boogie's deficiencies were masked by by mostly playing backup to Anthony Davis. I'd bench Cousins for the remainder of the two games.
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    America will beat Spain, Spain should be able to keep it within 15 , but Australia is Americans biggest challenge to come.
    Australia still needs to qualify for the finals, don't get too cocky. You will face much different Serbia first.
    As for this one, I really do think that Spain has a decent chance. Gasol can dominate.

I think it's impossible that Spain beat USA.

USA will play specially strong and not let any opportunity.

This is another classic matchup. Not as tired as France vs. Spain, but due to the characteristics of both teams there's little space for surprises too. Spain and USA both push the ball exchanging blow-for-blow all game long. This has always favoured Team USA due to their longer bench and being more talented overall. But Spain simply doesn't have the tools to turn the game into an slugfest. Spaniards make up what they lack in individual talent with spacing, team play and ball movement. USA's defence hasn't impressed me yet, so I assume Spain will be able to score around 90 points; as long as their outside shots keep falling.

The deciding factor, then, is going to be USA's offensive performance. They can get a lot of points in extremely short stretches, mainly through fast breaks after a turnover or long rebound, and by hitting the quick three. Spain has a lot of ball handlers used to NBA game speed (actually, everyone but Reyes and Lllull has either played in the NBA or is going to play this season), so I expect they'll take care of the ball a bit better than other teams. But there's no one on the team (or in any other team, for that matter) who can stop Durant, Melo, Irving, Thompson and George from getting hot and nailing three-pointer after three-pointer. It doesn't matter how many points Spain can score, USA can easily keep the pace as long as one of their scorers has it. And the moment the Spanish bench falters, it will be game over again.

That said, even once in a million events happen from time to time. So maybe this is the game when no one can buy a basket and Team USA finally gets beat. All I know is it's going to be fun to watch, regardless of the outcome.

With the way US play earlier.. an upset is highly possible especially on how spain beat France..And US already raise their gear in qf...I just think the big man quality of the Americans would be exposed here..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..

USA has let France to score 97, Australia 88, Serbia 91. I think Spain has a great chance to score over 100 points, just like in 2 last Olympics which may be enough for a win. Current USA team is not able to play team defense, as games have shown, doesnt matter, which unit. Spain will get shitload of easy baskets while USA must hit their contested threes and Cousins to dominate offensively to have a winning chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richey666 View Post
    USA has let France to score 97, Australia 88, Serbia 91. I think Spain has a great chance to score over 100 points, just like in 2 last Olympics which may be enough for a win. Current USA team is not able to play team defense, as games have shown, doesnt matter, which unit. Spain will get shitload of easy baskets while USA must hit their contested threes and Cousins to dominate offensively to have a winning chance.
    But they do this all the time. Durant is 66% from three. Melo and Irving over 40%. Thompson has been cold, but he certainly has the ability to go 5-for-5 with a hand in his face. Same for Paul George. Spain has no one who can match up with them athletically. And they may play 4 of them at the same time, spreading the floor like no other team can. Anything can happen, but Spain is a long shot to win this match, pun intended.

This is will be a shootout, I expect the second unit of the US to play serious minutes in the fourth, Durant to get heavy minutes as well. Leaning 107-100 US.
    Pistons: 2018-2019 In the middle of nowhere

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast