• Serbia

9 25.71%
  • Spain

1 2.86%
  • Turkey

5 14.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Talent Pool Leading into 2020 Olympics

You are missing Czech republic (their golden generation should be in their prime by then) and Latvia (at least) in the poll. The obvious choice (for me) is Croatia, as long as they can get a good duo at the pg spot. Their frontcourt will be on top for a few years at least, and the wings are fine too (they will always have some 3D guys to play behind Bogdanovic & Hezonja).

For France, we have a lot of unproven prospects. We are thin again at pg and center position (unfortunately the most important ones) but we will be competitive as outsiders and much better defensively (even though replacing Diaw & Pietrus - not for this campaign - will be unpossible).
    Something like this is likely :

De Colo - Ntilikina - Heurtel - Westermann
    Fournier - Ouattara
    Batum - Luwawu - Tchouaffé ?
    Inglis - Moerman - Jean-Charles - Yabusele ?
    Gobert - Lauvergne (as pf/5 unless we develop a moiso type of center hopefully) -Jaiteh ?

Guys like Cordinier, Jackson, Cornelie, Konate, Gombault, tillie (Kilian) etc will be tested most likely. Depending on their role and developpement of course.
    I just hope we don't turn into another "Italy" (no offense, i mean that for the pg/center spot and lack of toughness) but we have hungry young players and hopefully they are smart enough to do the normal sacrifices to shine at that level.

Kyle Wiltjer is a gutless chicken to be honest Like I said, he will choose where he wants to play. Noone should be bitter about his choice, since he has valid reasons to choose either options. That being sad, I would gladly take him. If he was smart he should've looked for a team in Europe for a season or two before going to NBA and finding a role. Now he will be roster bubble guy, which is just a shitty idea. He will not develop like that.
    Not sure I agree with the Kyle Wiltjer statement (not sure if is a joke or not) but the rest I agree with.

One of Canada's problems is too many young end of the NBA bench guys that don't develop as well as they could taking a bigger role in a lesser league. I actually fidn my self routing against some of our young guys for making NBA teams. I like to see Kevin Pangos, Melvin Ejim, Olivier Hanlan, Khem Birch grow in Europe and I think they will be more important to the Canadian national team than most Canadian fans have any understanding of. They are far better off there than toiling the D-League or a 12-15 spot on an NBA team. Thus I hope Kyle Wiltjer gets cut from the Rockets. Tyler Ennis and Anthony Bennett would probably be better off in Europe too.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post
    Not sure I agree with the Kyle Wiltjer statement (not sure if is a joke or not) but the rest I agree with.

One of Canada's problems is too many young end of the NBA bench guys that don't develop as well as they could taking a bigger role in a lesser league. I actually fidn my self routing against some of our young guys for making NBA teams. I like to see Kevin Pangos, Melvin Ejim, Olivier Hanlan, Khem Birch grow in Europe and I think they will be more important to the Canadian national team than most Canadian fans have any understanding of. They are far better off there than toiling the D-League or a 12-15 spot on an NBA team. Thus I hope Kyle Wiltjer gets cut from the Rockets. Tyler Ennis and Anthony Bennett would probably be better off in Europe too.
    I think Wiltjer future is in Europe. He is too soft for NBA. Guys said that Sabonis is soft, but Wiltjer is even softer . A big man with that shooting ability could easily find a place in good Europe team. Should go to ACB mid table team like Pangos first and after some good years or two go to Euroleague.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo13 View Post

I didn't mean anything bad by Wiltjer statement. He deals very bad with adversity and his Kentucky days have proven that. He bailed for Gonzaga, where he played well trashing shitty college teams and again had to wait for other guys to bail him out in many key games. Again, he is really talented but by now seems to have developed a mental weakness...

Quote Originally Posted by CoachZ View Post
    I didn't mean anything bad by Wiltjer statement. He deals very bad with adversity and his Kentucky days have proven that. He bailed for Gonzaga, where he played well trashing shitty college teams and again had to wait for other guys to bail him out in many key games. Again, he is really talented but by now seems to have developed a mental weakness...
    Here is Jankovic talking about Canada vs Serbia this summer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQh...ature=youtu.be

Whole interview is interesting but if you want to skip to the "meat" it is at 1:40. I still thinks he takes the Serbia route.

If the things 'll go as planned ( ) and the players have no downsides reaching their peaks,I'd go with this:

Calathes,Mantzaris
    Sloukas,Pappas,Dorsey
    Antetokounmpo,Charalampopoulos,Papanikolaou
    Printezis,Papapetrou
    Koufos,Papagiannis

Other possible players that would have developed by then:

Agravanis
    August
    Mitoglou
    Toliopoulos
    Kostas
    Lountzis (????)

And whether they're still fit and available(doubt it)

Bourousis,Perperoglou,Mavrokefalidis

We can start with the first squad by the next year,just let Antetokounmpo and Papagiannis spend their summers at US.As I see we are only not fading.Results have not helped us big time,as well as the draws.It's really bad luck when you need to play your first knockouts with Serbia,Spain,France etc meanwhile you're not dead last in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by CHBB View Post
    Caboclo can be that Mirotic, Ibaka, Livio Jean-Charles, etc type of player. After him not Nogueria because he is soft but Felicio showed this Olympics that he can definitely play at a high level as did Lima and both are very young. Then you have not just Neto but Benite. That's a very solid foundation right there.

No way Barbosa plays after this Olympics. Nene either I don't think. Hettsheimeir is only 30 I believe. Splitter as well. Maybe Marquinhos plays but who knows..

That's a solid team IF they play up to their capabilities.
    Brazil reached its peak in 2014. We are not getting any better.

For 2018 we might have pretty much the same squad of Rio16 plus Splitter (31) and Varejão (33). After that, we gonna struggle badly even to qualify for Tokyo. (Canada will dominate Americas)

We have some young talent playing the national league, but I dont believe they are world class players. Names like Lucas Dias(21) and Leo Meindl(23) will probaly be part of the team.

Australia - they will add Ben Simmons and Dante Exum who are both going to be established NBA players in 4 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by guilherme.rcf View Post
    Brazil reached its peak in 2014. We are not getting any better.

For 2018 we might have pretty much the same squad of Rio16 plus Splitter (31) and Varejão (33). After that, we gonna struggle badly even to qualify for Tokyo. (Canada will dominate Americas)

We have some young talent playing the national league, but I dont believe they are world class players. Names like Lucas Dias(21) and Leo Meindl(23) will probaly be part of the team.
    Felipe Dos Anjos from Real Madrid is a brazilian center with a lot of potential. The NBA is putting an eye on him, he is 2,18 m tall and he is only 18.

our only hopes are Arcidiacono's citizen and Mussini,Oliva in Ncaa!

Abass could become our 3 & D that we need in the next olympics cylce!

Flaccadori and Amedeo will replace Belinelli and Aradori:

Arcidiacono-Hackett-Mussini
    Della Valle Flaccadori
    Gentile-Datome-Abass
    Gallinari-Oliva-Pascolo
    Cervi-Melli-Baldi Rossi

A bunch of Australia's current roster
    Delly, Mills, Broekhoff etc (still under 30 when tokyo comes around)

+ Australia's highest rated prospects and 2020-2024 Olympic hopefuls
    CG Vasljevic 6'2 (Miami-college)
    CG McDowell-White 6'5 (Fresno state-college)
    CG Exum 6'6 (Jazz-NBA)
    G/F Drmic 6'6 (Pro)
    G/F Adel 6'7 (Louisville-college)
    G/F White 6'7 (Duke-college)
    G/F Simmons 6'10 (76ers-NBA)
    CF Cooks 6'8 (Winthrop-college)
    CF Bolden 6'10 (Ucla-college)
    PF Jois 6'8 (Pro)
    PF/C Froling 6'11 (Smu-college)
    PF/C D.Gak 6'11 (Unsigned-college)
    PF/C T.Maker 7'1 (Bucks-NBA)
    C Mathiang 6'10 (Louisville-college)
    C Humphries 7'0 (Kentucky-college)
    + others in college...

+ young players applying there trade in the National basketball league.

Quote Originally Posted by reptilia View Post
    CF Bolden 6'10 (Ucla-college)
    Bolden left UCLA and signed in Serbia for the upcoming season.

Nick Duncan an interesting player with his fat-guy three-point shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Australia's starting lineup could very well be:

PG 6'4 Dellavedova
    SG 6'6 Exum
    SF 6'10 Simmons
    PF 7'1 Maker
    C 7'0 Bogut (if he plays till 35)

Very Big and versatile... And now with athleticism in most positions as well as shot blocking.

Latvia could be in a mix for medal contenders. We have quite good results in youth tournaments.
    And of course we hope Porzingis could become next european superstar(like P.Gasol, Nowitzki, Parker)
    PG Strelnieks(89), Vecvagars(93)
    SG/PG Skele(92)
    SG Dairis Bertans(89); Lomazs(96); Gluditis(95)
    SF/SG R.Kurucs(98); J.Berzins(93)
    SF Timma(92)
    SF/PF Davis Bertans(92); Silins(93)
    PF/SF Smits(95); Mejeris(91)
    PF/C Porzingis(95); K.Berzins(85)
    C Pasecniks(95); Cavars(96); Gromovs(94)

LDK, hyping one-dimentional player Giedraitis who at the age of 24 can't crack Rytas' rotation as some future upgrade of NT is too funny man Too funny Also he's small forward with horrific defence at 2. That kind of lineup at 2 would suck unless Grigonis would turn out to be a star who can play 35 minutes. Giedraitis is barely a prospect any more, he'll turn to be a decent LKL player, maybe will crack Rytas/Zalgiris rotation, but that's pretty much it. I mean in terms of NT there are much better options already as Ulanovas and Sedekerskis with Kulboka have sky hight upside compared to Giedraitis.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The flick from the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Straight forward View Post
    LDK, hyping one-dimentional player Giedraitis who at the age of 24 can't crack Rytas' rotation as some future upgrade of NT is too funny man Too funny Also he's small forward with horrific defence at 2. That kind of lineup at 2 would suck unless Grigonis would turn out to be a star who can play 35 minutes. Giedraitis is barely a prospect any more, he'll turn to be a decent LKL player, maybe will crack Rytas/Zalgiris rotation, but that's pretty much it. I mean in terms of NT there are much better options already as Ulanovas and Sedekerskis with Kulboka have sky hight upside compared to Giedraitis.
    Milaknis defence and footwork was even more terrible and he also was bench warmer in Zalgiris and even was on loan or kicked to other LKL teams. Idon't remmeber actually... Also he was mutch older than he started developing his defence and footwork. So don't underestimate 24 yo player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chacho View Post
    Spain could have a team like this:

Rubio-Rodríguez-Vives
    Llull-Abrines
    Rudy- Hernangomez
    Claver- Mirotic or Ibaka
    Gasol-Hernangomez-Diop

Rodríguez, Rudy and Gasol would arrive with 34 and 35 at Tokyo, but we have player like Colom, Abalde, Marc García, Yankuba Sima, Yusta, Sáiz, Díez.

We won't dominants, but we will still being very competitive.
    Colom now dominates VTB super League,and he is a good choice of Spain NT in the future.

By the way,do we also count next year's continental championships in the thread? If so,what do people think?
    Tokyo is too far to predict,and ofc you need to have a good(really good) Wc at 2019.Who knows what will have happened by then.

Quote Originally Posted by reptilia View Post
    Australia's starting lineup could very well be:

PG 6'4 Dellavedova
    SG 6'6 Exum
    SF 6'10 Simmons
    PF 7'1 Maker
    C 7'0 Bogut (if he plays till 35)

Very Big and versatile... And now with athleticism in most positions as well as shot blocking.
    That is a nice theoretical line up if it all works out. Still major questions about them all though.
    Delly seems a big time injury risk the way he plays. I can see him nursing a major injury every other offseason as he gets older. I love his grit and reckless abandon, but guys who play as hard as he does seem to have injury plagued careers (i.e. Gerald "Crash" Wallace)..
    Exum is still pretty unproven, but the potential is still there. This will be a big year to find out.
    I am a big fan of Simmons - I think he will be legit.
    Maker seems questionable to ever play for Australia. Has he ever indicated he will? Just curious as few (probably uniformed) fans in Canada seem to think he has left Oz in the dust and will get Canadian or American citizenship. I doubt that but who knows as his handlers may push him that direction. The performance sure helps Australia's cause to reel him in.
    Bogut just seems too old and injury prone to be around at that age. But again who knows.

Just to counter I think Canada's dream 12 man squad by then would be:
    PG - Cory Joseph / Tyler Ennis / Kevin Pangos
    Wings - Andrew Wiggins / Jamal Murray / Nik Stuaskas / Melvin Ejim
    PF/C - Trey Lyles / Kelly Olynyk / Tristan Thompson / Dwight Powell / Andrew Nicholson

Guys like Olivier Hanlan, Anthony Bennett, Khem Birch, Dillon Brooks, Kyle Wiltjer, Chris Boucher and a few others could all grow into a spot as well.

with the Oceania and Asian region combining, it'll give New Zealand a chance to finally show there talent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast