Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Olympic basketball be for the U24 category ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Olympic basketball be for the U24 category ?

Some people are of the opinion that basketball in the Olympics should be played by players U24. That way it can still remain highly competitive, while at the same time WC basketball and the continental championships will be the most important events. All players would want to take part in those championships, because they can rest during the remaining summers. The only players who will have to participate in an international tournament 3 out of 4 summers would be the young bloods. This seems pretty fair.

Moreover, prestige wise, one could argue that basketball deserves more merit than say, field hockey or water polo. Seeing someone playing beach volleyball winning a gold medal, just like the winner of the basketball category seems somewhat degrading for the sport. Even more so, a swimmer or a horse rider can win several medals, while a basketball player can only win one. Seems pretty unfair.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

no. olympic games are the biggest sporting event for every sportsmen.
    it should remain as it is.
    how can winning a gold medal degrade a sport?
    "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
      Some people are of the opinion that basketball in the Olympics should be played by players U24. That way it can still remain highly competitive, while at the same time WC basketball and the continental championships will be the most important events. All players would want to take part in those championships, because they can rest during the remaining summers. The only players who will have to participate in an international tournament 3 out of 4 summers would be the young bloods. This seems pretty fair.

Moreover, prestige wise, one could argue that basketball deserves more merit than say, field hockey or water polo. Seeing someone playing beach volleyball winning a gold medal, just like the winner of the basketball category seems somewhat degrading for the sport. Even more so, a swimmer or a horse rider can win several medals, while a basketball player can only win one. Seems pretty unfair.
      I agree that a U24 or U25 should be the limit for Olympic basketball. This way, it will be a much more interesting event + it will be a launching board for some new talents etc. Most of the top sports already are not culminating the Olympic games anyway, and the merit for success and how good are you at them is already achieved in the other fields and arenas. So basically, beside tradition, Olympics are just a showcase for second-rate and low-rate sports. They change hardly anything among top sports.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
        . Most of the top sports already are not culminating the Olympic games anyway, .
        which are those besides football?
        name one.
        if what you wrote is true why did serbian basketball federation payed 2 millions to organize the OQT just to be at the olympics?

Comment

Olympics is much more prestigious than World Championships.That's just the way it is.Tony Parker has never played a WC in his career(cause he chose not to).USA sends way better teams in Olympics than in WC.It's not even close.Eurobaskets before an olympic year are much more stronger than the ones before WC.And i'm not sure using u23 teams in olympics would make World Cup more prestigious.It would just leave Basketball with no major tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Picek View Post
            which are those besides football?
            name one.
            if what you wrote is true why did serbian basketball federation payed 2 millions to organize the OQT just to be at the olympics?
            Because it is the interest of the country to be represented there in a sport where they can medal. Purely Serbian interest. If it was for fencing, do you think they would pay it? Fuck no. Also it is a national competition before all. So yes, for the countries it is the most important, for the actual athletes and sports not really. Depends on the sport, for minor sports yeah. Any sports that really matter. Nope.

- Football - Not even close, behind all the club and national competitions + all domestic leagues and most cups.
            - Basketball - Behind NBA
            - Tennis - Lol, behind everything
            - Athletics - Ok here it is the most important, still the best results and performances usually come in other events. As well as the money.
            - Motorsports - don't count
            - Cricket - not even close
            - Boxing - not even close
            - Hockey - behind NHL
            - Volleyball - Ok here it is the most important.
            - Golf - not even close

Those are top 10 sports by number of athletes, popularity, watching etc. etc. Olympics are almost irrelevant there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
              Olympics is much more prestigious than World Championships.That's just the way it is.Tony Parker has never played a WC in his career(cause he chose not to).USA sends way better teams in Olympics than in WC.It's not even close.Eurobaskets before an olympic year are much more stronger than the ones before WC.And i'm not sure using u23 teams in olympics would make World Cup more prestigious.It would just leave Basketball with no major tournament.
              Which is fine. The basketball that actually matters is played at the club level anyway. These are just parades for propaganda and corruption anyway.

Comment

I agree 100%. They can call it the World Cup or whatever it wall always be a secondary event.
                Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Because it is the interest of the country to be represented there in a sport where they can medal. Purely Serbian interest. If it was for fencing, do you think they would pay it? Fuck no. Also it is a national competition before all. So yes, for the countries it is the most important, for the actual athletes and sports. Depends on the sport, for minor sports yeah. Any sports that really matter. Nope.

- Football - Not even close, behind all the club and national competitions + all domestic leagues and most cups.
                  - Basketball - Behind NBA
                  - Tennis - Lol, behind everything
                  - Athletics - Ok here it is the most important, still the best results and performances usually come in other events. As well as the money.
                  - Motorsports - don't count
                  - Cricket - not even close
                  - Boxing - not even close
                  - Hockey - behind NHL
                  - Volleyball - Ok here it is the most important.
                  - Golf - not even close

Those are top 10 sports by number of athletes, popularity, watching etc. etc. Olympics are almost irrelevant there.
                  footbal - i already said
                  basketball - what does it mean behind NBA? if it is behind NBA there would be no NBA players present.
                  tennis - yes, Đoković tears surely proved that
                  cricket - I'll quote an indian article: "Cricket, apart from the craze and madness, is only played in a handful of nations. Introducing Cricket in the Olympics would sure be a huge boost for the sport but it can’t be done unless a majority of nations have Cricket teams of their own."
                  boxing - is there a bigger challenge for boxers who are not pro's?
                  hockey - again, if it is like that then there would be no NHL players at the olympics
                  golf - yes, that is the reason why golfers pushed for golf to finally become an olympic sport again after 112 years.

you didn't give a single argument that would back your questionable statement.

Comment

footbal - i already said
                    basketball - what does it mean behind NBA? if it is behind NBA there would be no NBA players present.
                    tennis - yes, Đoković tears surely proved that
                    cricket - I'll quote an indian article: "Cricket, apart from the craze and madness, is only played in a handful of nations. Introducing Cricket in the Olympics would sure be a huge boost for the sport but it can’t be done unless a majority of nations have Cricket teams of their own."
                    boxing - is there a bigger challenge for boxers who are not pro's?
                    hockey - again, if it is like that then there would be no NHL players at the olympics
                    golf - yes, that is the reason why golfers pushed for golf to finally become an olympic sport again after 112 years.

you didn't give a single argument that would stand behind your questionable statement.
                    LOL. You are using terrible logic. Just finding excuses for each sport. I said Olympics is NOT the pinnacle of most important sports in the world. Not what they mean to countries that participate, what is their interest etc. etc.

When u ask, what it means behind NBA and NHL. If it was more important than NHL or NBA, they would not keep cancelling They would make it a priority. Like I said in 2 out of top 10 sports in the world, Olympics are not the highest level of competition or the pinnacle of the sport. So yeah, if you are into fencing, archery, waterpolo and shit like that, yeah go Olympics.

Comment

Most of the top sports already are not culminating the Olympic games anyway,
                      Like I said in 2 out of top 10 sports in the world, Olympics are not the highest level of competition or the pinnacle of the sport. .

what is it then? most of the top sports or 2 out of 10 top sports?
                      It looks like you can not decide.

Comment

what is it then? most of the top sports or 2 out of 10 top sports?
                        It looks like you can not decide.
                        Read the post with more CARE! Most of TOP SPORTS! That is what I said. 8 out of 10, is most. If you want Top 25, here is the list. Then decide where are Olympics there:

totalsportek.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, totalsportek.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

One can not know how the players would react to the WC if the players would not have to play in the Olympics. That said, it would be delusional to think that the WC would not even be more important than it is today. It would be the only tournament which will show which national team is the best on the planet. Frankly, the Olympics doesn't really show that since many potential medal contenders are not even present.

Also, the Olympic basketball qualifications tournaments are rather silly. Players have to team up twice during the summer in order to play for the Olympics, while the qualifying tournament itself starts one week after most competitions end. One can not seriously expect professional teams to be able to prepare themselves in a week. I think the IOC is very disrespectful to basketball players. I would say that the the U24 tournament would be a fitting alternative. Or let 3 X 3 be the basketball event of the Olympics.
                          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Read the post with more CARE! Most of TOP SPORTS! That is what I said. 8 out of 10, is most. If you want Top 25, here is the list. Then decide where are Olympics there:

http://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/
                            I think you are the one who should really read what you wrote..
                            try couple of times..

Comment

I think you are the one who should really read what you wrote..
                              try couple of times..
                              It's a typo, just seen it. You know quite well what I meant. In 2 out of 10 sports Olympics can be considered the pinnacle. The rest not...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information