Tofas - Bursa
    Trabzonspor Medical Park - Trabzon
    Yesil Giresun Bld - Giresun

relegated:
    Turk Telekom - Ankara
    Torku Konya - Konya

7/16 teams are from Istanbul
    League draw is on Aug 2nd.
    5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

There will be a furious derby between Bandirma Banvit and Best Balikesir.
    Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa yaşa;
    Adın yazılacak mücevher taşa.

Comment

Izmir is a huge city. only one team?
      2022/2023:
      PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
      SG: Baldwin, Hollins
      SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
      PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
      PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Comment

Originally posted by Roy M View Post
        Izmir is a huge city. only one team?
        Izmir has not any football clubs in Turkish 1st league as well. Izmir is known as the most secular city in Turkey and government never invests money on there because of this. That's one of the reasons.

Comment

What about Ankara that is ruled by an AKP mayor for a decade or more? Teams there are flourishing maybe?

The truth is that outside of Istanbul there is barely any teams that can match the big 3 in support and finances in any sport. Izmir teams in most sports were not any better and more competitive before this government came to power so blaming all on that is just not right. It's a shame that a city as big as Izmir that is actually also a pretty well developed for Turkish standards doesn't have stronger sports clubs but still Karsiyaka is pretty strong at basketball and Arkas is a good volleyball team even on European level with competing in the Champions league almost every year.

Comment

I don't know how it is currently, but some Anatolian teams in the past used to work/train in Istanbul and fly to their respective towns for "home" games.

The most likely reason for this is, of course, that the teams do not have any real roots in those towns. They are not built naturally after a local interest in bball (by local amateur players). Instead, they are built from top down artificially by a certain company or an institution by buying professional assets on whims of an advertising team. This way, we are forcing bball on towns, and even though some companies did well in generating a genuine bball interest (Tofas, Banvit, Olin, etc), most of them did not stick. Hence, the limited spread.

Comment

What TED plans for this season is really terrible. They are going to play their games with 12 youngsters (Not the ones who are grabbing medals, low profile prospects who haven't even called up youth NTs). All games against TED will be ended up with possible blow-outs. If you can't operate this branch just ask for relegation. There are teams who are ready to play in this league and deserve the promotion. The league administration and federation are harming the brand value of the league and the self-confidence of those youngsters (Those expected blow-outs will disincline them from basketball). It is also waste of time and effort for the opponents. I hope, a new and immediate regulation will take place here. Really sad for those players. It can actually be an opportunity for talented youngsters who want to develop themselves into a competitive environment but as expected most of them won't tend to play there without earning tons of money. The youngsters of TED was quite mediocre last season in Turkish Championship, throwing them to the wolves is not acceptable.
              Last edited by slice me nice; 08-26-2016, 09:34 PM.
              Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
              Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

alright, the league starts this weekend.

day-1 games:
                08-Oct, 15:00: DI Buyukcekmece - Trabzon MP
                08-Oct, 16:00: TED Kolejliler - Besiktas SJ
                08-Oct, 18:00: Pinar Karsiyaka - Banvit
                08-Oct, 18:00: Yesilgiresun Bld - Gaziantep
                08-Oct, 19:00: Darussafaka Dogus - Tofas
                09-Oct, 15:00: Muratbey Usak - Fenerbahce
                09-Oct, 17:00: Galatasaray Odeabank - Best Balikesir
                09-Oct, 19:00: Istanbul BSB - Anadolu Efes

Apparently Digiturk is the broadcaster, and online TBL package seems quite cheap (5€/month or 30€/year). Has anyone tried their online subscription? is it working properly?

Comment

Looks like 10/16 teams in the league will have two games per week; one domestic one European.

Euroleague
                  Anadolu Efes

Darussafaka Dogus
                  Fenerbahce
                  Galatasaray Odeabank

--

FIBA Champions League
                  Banvit
                  Besiktas Sompo Japan
                  Pinar Karsiyaka
                  Muratbey Usak Sportif

--

FIBA Europe Cup
                  DI Buyukcekmece

Gaziantep

--

Istanbul BSB
                  TED Kolejliler
                  Trabzon Medical Park
                  Yesil Giresun Bld
                  Tofas
                  Best Balikesir

Comment

I think I watched one of the worst bball games in quite a while: TED Kolejliler - Besiktas: 51-93

TED is a team concocted in the last minute from scratch with 4 foreigners plus a bunch of 2nd or 3rd league domestic players and a few 17-19 year old kids. Moreover, they signed most of those last week, and started the league with only one prep game. D. Thomas (who got ejected in 4th quarter) and Shorter are good players, and there are maybe 2-3 decent local kids, but if this team can win more than 3 games this season, it will be a miracle.

Besiktas seems fine, but this was not a proper game to judge. Nice to see Ilkan Karaman back on court, though he's very rusty.

PS. tbl.org.tr is possibly the worst website of any league in the world.

Comment

Osiris Eldridge introduces himself to TBL.

Comment

Galatasaray is hosting the league's newcomer Best Balikesir in front of empty seats. Tyus is flying high, Preldzic is doing fine but looking weird, R. Smith is terrible in first half. Pleiss needs to adjust to the team, and the team has to adjust to Pleiss, it's not working at all so far.

Ege Arar played a 2nd league game yesterday with Pertevniyal (30+ minutes, 12 pts, 20 rebs), and today he's on court for Galatasaray. I didn't know that was allowed.

Comment

And Fener lost to Muratbey away 71-70. A bad start of the season I guess but Usak are a pretty solid team and it is the start of the season so it is nothing we should worry too much about.

ps Nice play by this Osiris guy...

Comment

Yeah, this weekend I spared my time to relax and watched plenty of TBL games. My main interest was the domestic player's role, esp the younger ones, but the situation was not very bright.

Yesilgiresun seems to be the team to watch in that regard, with Okben Ulubay in starting five and having a significant role (29mins, 13 pts, 5 rbs). Emircan Kosut and Dogus Ozdemiroglu seem to be in rotation as well. But to my utmost disappointment, Enes Taskiran is again ignored. I don't know what is the problem with TBL coaches, this guy has huge potential but it seems I'm the only one who can see it . He should play 25-30mins every single game.

I like Tofas, I like the way they grow their own talent, and the way they use the domestic players. But they are not the young ones, I was expecting to see Yigit Arslan esp but he did not find playing time. Any way, I still appreciate the way kept their 2nd league squad intact. Their new transfers except Micic did not really show up, but Roberts is a seriously athletic guy, we might see some crazy stuff.

I don;t even want to talk about Karsiyaka... a team which produced so many talents in the past, now letting Egemen Guven rot in the bench... Banvit as well, is a disappointment in this regard.. at least Metehan Akyel got some minutes.. but not a single minute to Tolga? Istanbul BSB also could use some help from their young talents, esp some sharpshooting from Mert Cevik... but of course no chance was given...

TED could be perfect place for promising players who are looking for playing time. Instead, they decided to fill up the roster within the last 3 days with whoever they could find... regardless of their level... Onat Akis is their starting pg.. no disrespect to him, but he's 3rd league player. any way, Devin Thomas is a pretty good find, I just hope he doesn't run away at first opportunity.

Comment

Arifcan Yazgac at Gamaspor published some statistics on Turkish players on first week of the league. I'm happy at least some other people care about this too.

- 66 Turkish players found playing time (excluding Dixon & Preldzic)
                              - total playing time = 770mins, 14 sec (24% of total time).
                              - Okben Ulubay with 28mins 43sec was the player with the longest PT.
                              - TED Kolej gave the most minutes, 80mins in total (out of possible 200min), but they lost by 42.
                              - Fenerbahce gave the least time, only 16mins and only to Mahmutoglu.

in order of playing time;

1 - TED - 79' 41"
                              2 - Yesilgiresun - 76' 11"
                              3 - Besiktas - 72' 30"
                              4 - Tofas - 67' 48"
                              5 - Efes Pilsen - 65' 13"
                              6 - Istanbul BSB - 55' 17"
                              7 - DI Buyukcekmece - 51' 41"
                              8 - Galatasaray - 48' 29"
                              9 - Gaziantep - 42' 66"
                              10 - Usak - 38' 18"
                              11 - Darussafaka - 35' 56"
                              12 - Best Balikesir - 34' 51"
                              13 - Karsiyaka - 29' 42"
                              14 - Trabzon - 28' 48"
                              15 - Banvit - 25' 49"
                              16- Fenerbahce - 16' 54"

Most of these teams have no excuse. Also seeing Banvit and Karsiyaka at the bottom is a disgrace. They have very solid prospects who gets no minutes even in garbage time.
                              This way we are just fooling ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information