No announcement yet.

Israelis Abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucks have officially invited him to their summer league.
    11th Commandment: You shall not say Maccabi is a mediocre team!

Comment

GB national team appointed Guy Goodes as their assistant coach. He will work with coach Joe Prunty and of course, continue with his job as Blatt's assistant.
      5 times European champion
      50 times domestic league champion
      40 times domestic cup holders
      4 times league cup holders
      1 time Adriatic league champion
      1 time intercontinental cup holders

Comment

The Cavs did not extend a Qualifying Offer to Omri Casspi, thus making him an unrestricted free agent

Also, Hapoe'l Holon's coach Dan Shamir was released from the club last week to join CSKA Moskow as a lead Assistant Coach

Comment

Reports say, Mekel agreed with Mavs for a multiyear contract. That means Calathes rights will be traded elsewhere. Here you go: 2nd Israeli born player in NBA!!!
          11th Commandment: You shall not say Maccabi is a mediocre team!

Comment

Viva Israel!

Maccabi Tel Aviv

EUROLEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS - 1977 & 1981 & 2001 & 2004 & 2005 & 2014
            Intercontinental Cup - 1980
            Adriatic League Championship - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by [M-120] View Post
              Viva Israel!
              The Dallas Mavericks received word Monday morning from Israeli point guard Gal Mekel that he is committing to sign a multiyear guaranteed contract for the league minimum, sources told ESPN.com

Probably, the least heralded Israeli ever brought in connection with the NBA. What a career move it would be for him. A player, who didn't crack MTA's roster as a young guy, then doing a lot of wrong stuff in Galil, like overdribbling, stopping attacks, losing his PT on the Israeli NT, going to Treviso and playing injured through the season and now he has had a really good season and is with one foot in the end, moreover, on a very solid team, like the Mavs. He is neither very fast nor nighly athletic nor a profilic shooter. That shows you that you can make it, if you just play the game the right way despite all of your shortcomings.

Congratulations, Gal Mekel!!!
              burnstein

Comment

Originally posted by frodoborg View Post
                Reports say, Mekel agreed with Mavs for a multiyear contract. That means Calathes rights will be traded elsewhere. Here you go: 2nd Israeli born player in NBA!!!
                you beat me to the news...
                good luck to Mekel! with Collison gone, he could get a serious look.

Comment

Originally posted by goga78 View Post
                  http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...multiyear-deal

Probably, the least heralded Israeli ever brought in connection with the NBA. What a career move it would be for him. A player, who didn't crack MTA's roster as a young guy, then doing a lot of wrong stuff in Galil, like overdribbling, stopping attacks, losing his PT on the Israeli NT, going to Treviso and playing injured through the season and now he has had a really good season and is with one foot in the end, moreover, on a very solid team, like the Mavs. He is neither very fast nor nighly athletic nor a profilic shooter. That shows you that you can make it, if you just play the game the right way despite all of your shortcomings.

Congratulations, Gal Mekel!!!
                  Totally agree. I bet that Jerusalem feels stupid now for not wanted to sign him last season due to his request for release clause in case of an offer from European team. Haifa bet on him and it paid off. With all the respect I have for Casspi, I think that Gal has more of what it takes to make it there and hopefully to remain his good level. Casspi started very good but from season to season his numbers reduced (not always his fault) and now after 4 years he's an unrestricted FA and to be honest, I don't see a team which will gamble on him.
                  By the way, I wonder what Gal will do regarding the Eurobasket. For me, it'll be legitimate if he'll want to work hard this summer and not joining the national team, I personally will understand. The first year in the NBA is the most important and you have to be at your best. With or without Gal I highly doubt if we'll achieve top 8 or, god forbid, top 4, so I would advise his to keep wirking in the US and join the national team as a better player next summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Idans10 View Post
                    Totally agree. I bet that Jerusalem feels stupid now for not wanted to sign him last season due to his request for release clause in case of an offer from European team. Haifa bet on him and it paid off. With all the respect I have for Casspi, I think that Gal has more of what it takes to make it there and hopefully to remain his good level. Casspi started very good but from season to season his numbers reduced (not always his fault) and now after 4 years he's an unrestricted FA and to be honest, I don't see a team which will gamble on him.
                    By the way, I wonder what Gal will do regarding the Eurobasket. For me, it'll be legitimate if he'll want to work hard this summer and not joining the national team, I personally will understand. The first year in the NBA is the most important and you have to be at your best. With or without Gal I highly doubt if we'll achieve top 8 or, god forbid, top 4, so I would advise his to keep wirking in the US and join the national team as a better player next summer.
                    Well, this summer the chances are there for the NT to make a splash, as everyone is healthy and the strongest teams are not sending their strongest rosters. But I also think, Mekel will rather work out in the States.

Casspi got into a bad situation. In Sacramento, he could play but they had a coach who was experimenting in every game and didn't have a plan of what to do. He bet his money on Tyreke Evans. Back then, I used to watch some SacTown games because of Casspi. Evans puts good numbers on the scoreboard but he is not a good player for a team. He is a shaky shooter, he overdribbles, he doesn'T pass the ball in the right moment. A typical NBA behaviour of going one against all that should be reserved only for the truly best players. But, if you are getting told from junior high on that you are the best and then you have a league full of players who are wannabe bests, it can be tough. That's why only a handful of NBA teams is working properly, while the rest is just inflating the number of teams. The league has so many good player. If they would only have good coaches and play the right way, their basketball could be great. Instead, you have 6/25 FG nights on a daily basis. And the coach will never pull a player out, when he sees that it is not his night. And the player won't stop shooting and hurting his team.

Then, Casspi went to Byron Scott, a very strange coach who has relied on a offensively very strong PG throughout his career but doesn't really know how to involve the rest. Basically, the PG is doing his job. Casspi should have demanded a trade. For several NBA teams, he is a welcomed addition and even more because of his ethnical heritage than because of his basketball skills (he can play without a doubt). New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and some more places are the right destinations for him, where he will also get PT because people will be coming to the arena to watch him play.
                    burnstein

Comment

By the way, even though I'm a Knicks fan and born to suffer, that's why I like European basketball as a game to watch, rather than the showtime of the NBA. You get bored so quick to see Melo shooting over and over even if his percentage is below 30 and Woodi won't take him out. You don't see ball movement like european teams do and in general I rather to see the atmosphire in Nokia, Greece, or Spain rather in MSG.
                      And as for Casspi, like I said, it wasn't completely his fault. He is a good player who can still be a good role player in several teams, but after 4 years he have to prove himself all over again now because of his last couple of years. Anyway, I wish them both luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Idans10 View Post
                        By the way, even though I'm a Knicks fan and born to suffer, that's why I like European basketball as a game to watch, rather than the showtime of the NBA. You get bored so quick to see Melo shooting over and over even if his percentage is below 30 and Woodi won't take him out. You don't see ball movement like european teams do and in general I rather to see the atmosphire in Nokia, Greece, or Spain rather in MSG.
                        And as for Casspi, like I said, it wasn't completely his fault. He is a good player who can still be a good role player in several teams, but after 4 years he have to prove himself all over again now because of his last couple of years. Anyway, I wish them both luck.
                        Though never being a shooter in Israel, Casspi was proclaimed a shooter in the NBA. His main weapon is his aggressiveness, his energy. Instead of that, he is waiting in the corner for an occassional shot. in the EBC Qualis he started shooting a lot from the outside. Basically, 40% of his shots come from the outside. Surprisingly, his stroke has been good - 2.5 threes per game on 52%. But he is more than that. If a coach wants to degrade his game, he has to change the team because that way he won't get better. He will just lose his self-confidence. I think, especially for him it will be well to go and play the EBC this year. He doesn'T have to work out for anybody. Better, he shows what he really can do here and opens some eyes over there.
                        burnstein

Comment

The 25-yesr-old Israeli power forward, Omri Casspi (204-SF-88), who became a free agent, signed a two-years-deal contract with the Houston Rockets for 2.6 million dollar, while the Houston Rockets has the option to release him after one year. Casspi will try to prove himself in Houston after his last season with the Cavs which was his worst season in his 4 years in the NBA. Omri played only in 43 games, 11 mpg and finished with an average of 4 ppg & 2.7 rpg.

Comment

Last night's HOU - DAL pre-season game.

Sacramento Kings
                            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                              Last night's HOU - DAL pre-season game.

Awesome!

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

According to David Pick via twitter;
                                D'Or Fischer is married to a Israeli woman, and yet he is not qualified for Israeli citizenship. Why? Thought anyone who married Israeli can qualify for Israeli citizenship. What's going on?

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information