Maccabi Tel Aviv 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheMirror View Post
    Smith is actually still a pretty good rebounder (although not as good a defender as he used to be). Iverson himself is also a good rebounder.
    And Smith will not be dismissed. Not this season at least. In fact Maccabi listed him to the league as well, and he played (and played well) in the cup final.

I don't have any hopes from Vujcic. He was a great player, but he's a terrible manager.
    if smith stays it will be a serious problem, he earns a lot of money and he is not an euroleague-level player any more. Apart from his terrible defence his attacking percentages worsen every year. He is an old player now with a broken knee and he grabs 1 million (excluding taxes) a year.

If these are the news I'm afraid that another season will be thrown away.

Comment

Then I have to disagree with you. With the budget Maccabi has, I think Iverson is a good backup center for the EL. Ohayon and Mekel are also good enough for the EL as backups. They are not good enough to be starters and have the team built around them, and that's the problem - they are starters in Maccabi. Iverson should have been a backup to Zirbes, and if Zirbes was functioning properly - that would have been a good plan. Mekel and Ohayon - this is bad planning, I grant you that. Maccabi should have kept one of them, as a backup to a much better point guard.

besides, I have a feeling you think the owners are obliged to provide a CSKA-like budget for the team, and lose tens of millions of dollars every year, just for your entertainment. You're wrong there as well, they don't owe you s**t. What you should expect them to do is to give their money to able managers, and not let failed managers like the troika waste their money. They should treat failed managers like they would in their private business - perform, or go home.
      i guess u dont usually read my post. i never asked for cska,real,fener/ budegt.never i'm very realistic and i'm even proud we never spent crazy budget like those teams considering hour history.turkish teams and russians, are putting so much money on market that u cant rival with actual budget.
      i asked for an higher budget yes, not like those powerhoses. simply some more money to confirm best player u have every year, to bring a 1 mln salary coach, and (mainly) having better scouting, better managers, better eyes, even mainly a different bball phiosophy, that mans a much more european bball style.if they cant put more money, they should seacrch for a partner. if they cant find better managers, directors, scouts, thye should leave because this is he first ability for a team that is not cska or real.
      techincally writing a backups players like those mediocre palyers it would mean thet would play 15-120 min per game and yes, mekel ohayon iverson actual-pnini actual-smith seeley cant absolutely play so much minutes in el

Comment

I don't have any hopes from Vujcic. He was a great player, but he's a terrible manager.
        so , same budget, same manager, ohayon or mekel in and u are hoping to have a better tem next year?

Comment

• the budget is really too low, no one pretends to spend as cska and fener. But considering that they sell all the tickets for the whole season (and at a very high price!) the budget is ridiculous.

Even greek teams (Greece still lives a deep crisis as everyone knows) spend more money. Mr Federman should sell the team and unfortunately it won't happen.

Concerning Ohayon, come on, everybody in Europe laughs with this player. I remember an action in which he was alone and he wasn't able to handle the ball along the court, he gave it to Weems in order to organize the attack. He is not a playmaker, he is not a shooter, he is not a penetrator, he is not a good passer, he is NOTHING.

Unfortunately it seems we'll see him again too next year.
          Last edited by ronmercer80; 02-27-2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by maccabeo View Post
            so , same budget, same manager, ohayon or mekel in and u are hoping to have a better tem next year?
            No, I don't. Because of the managers. I already said several times, Maccabi has no future as long as the troika is there.
            With the budget Maccabi already has today, there should be a much better team if Maccabi had good managers on the professional side.
            Ohayon or Mekel should remain as backup to a starting point guard better than either of them.

But I don't expect Maccabi to have 12 EL stars in the roster. I'm realistic, Maccabi doesn't have the budget for that, and unlike you, I don't think the owners should lose their pants in order to keep me entertained. They don't owe me a cent. Apparently, you think otherwise - you think they owe you tens of millions of dollars every year from their own pockets... I often wonder how people have the gall to think like that.

So what do I expect? I expect that the existing budget will be utilized much better, and managers that keep failing and wasting money will be gone.
            Last edited by TheMirror; 02-28-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronmercer80 View Post
              the budget is really too low, no one pretends to spend as cska and fener. But considering that they sell all the tickets for the whole season (and at a very high price!) the budget is ridiculous.

Even greek teams (Greece still lives a deep crisis as everyone knows) spend more money. Mr Federman should sell the team and unfortunately it won't happen.

Concerning Ohayon, come on, everybody in Europe laughs with this player. I remember an action in which he was alone and he wasn't able to handle the ball along the court, he gave it to Weems in order to organize the attack. He is not a playmaker, he is not a shooter, he is not a penetrator, he is not a good passer, he is NOTHING.

Unfortunately it seems we'll see him again too next year.
              So you, too, expect team owners to be obliged to personally lose tens of millions of dollars every year.
              With all due respect, who are you to make such a demand?
              Maccabi generates ~$20M a year (and probably less last year with the early exit from EL and EC). The budget is ~$30M this year, so the owners personally lose $10M. You think it's ridiculous? How much should the owners lose in order to not look ridiculous to you?

Comment

So you, too, expect team owners to be obliged to personally lose tens of millions of dollars every year.
                With all due respect, who are you to make such a demand?
                Maccabi generates ~$20M a year (and probably less last year with the early exit from EL and EC). The budget is ~$30M this year, so the owners personally lose $10M. You think it's ridiculous? How much should the owners lose in order to not look ridiculous to you?
                if u realized having no money even to get a better coach than edel and alla coaches added from goodes till today, u should for example searching for new partner

Comment

• No, it means you should utilize your money better, and not let failed managers waste it inefficiently. a $30M is a dream budget for almost all teams in Europe, and most of the teams with the same budget (and even lower than than) use it better than Maccabi does. It won't make a difference if you have higher budgets with the troika, all that will happen is that they'll have more money to waste.

So before any partner or budget raise, which (with all due respect) is not our mandate to demand, I would like to see the existing money given to able professional managers and scouts who know what they're doing.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen... I don't understand the source of power Even and Vujcic have over the team owners, but apparently they have the power. The more they fail, the more powerful the owners make them... if the owners acted the same way in their private businesses - let failed managers waste their money without consequence - they would go bankrupt in a day.

Comment

No, it means you should utilize your money better, and not let failed managers waste it inefficiently. a $30M is a dream budget for almost all teams in Europe, and most of the teams with the same budget (and even lower than than) use it better than Maccabi does. It won't make a difference if you have higher budgets with the troika, all that will happen is that they'll have more money to waste.

So before any partner or budget raise, which (with all due respect) is not our mandate to demand, I would like to see the existing money given to able professional managers and scouts who know what they're doing.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen... I don't understand the source of power Even and Vujcic have over the team owners, but apparently they have the power. The more they fail, the more powerful the owners make them... if the owners acted the same way in their private businesses - let failed managers waste their money without consequence - they would go bankrupt in a day.
                    anyway, i dont think mta budget is currently 30.where did u officially read it?

Comment

• considering new add simpson, apart budget and money, we can surely say that technically hey still continue making same mistakes. adding a fwd unable to shoot by the arch is classical mta error and totally far from actual bball style played in europe
                      no way
                      ps i still wait to know the official year expenses by mta. i think we are so far from 30mln as posted here by somebody

Comment

• Originally posted by maccabeo View Post
                        anyway, i dont think mta budget is currently 30.where did u officially read it?
                        Maccabi's GM (who has since left) declared the budget to be "over 100M Israeli shekels". if you estimate it at 105-110M, that's about $30M or close to it.

Comment

Maccabi's GM (who has since left) declared the budget to be "over 100M Israeli shekels". if you estimate it at 105-110M, that's about $30M or close to it.
                          looking at mta roster i cant see 30 m budget.

Comment

• the only classification i found is talkbasket's.

Maccabi's budget concerning players (and coach?) is given 11 milions. 12th place according to their classification. As i have written, even greek teams (their country still lives a deep crisis) have a bigger budget.

Cska 35 milions, Real 27, Fener 23, Efes 18, Armani 19, Panathinaikos 14, Baskonia (surely not a rich team) 11,5 just to mention some examples.

To be considered is that Maccabi as far as i know has largely the most expensive tickets in Europe, and they sell almost the 100%.

Without new investitors the team will never win again the competition.
                            Last edited by ronmercer80; 03-07-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronmercer80 View Post
                              the only classification i found is talkbasket's.

Maccabi's budget concerning players (and coach?) is given 11 milions. 12th place according to their classification. As i have written, even greek teams (their country still lives a deep crisis) have a bigger budget.

Cska 35 milions, Real 27, Fener 23, Efes 18, Armani 19, Panathinaikos 14, Baskonia (surely not a rich team) 11,5 just to mention some examples.

To be considered is that Maccabi as far as i know has largely the most expensive tickets in Europe, and they sell almost the 100%.

Without new investitors the team will never win again the competition.
                              I am not sure that it is completely true for all teams. My guess based on the players you have, is around 15 mil. That is somewhere in the middle in the Euroleague. I don't think it's impossible to build a contender in that price range, you just have to be good at scouting and picking players. Keep in mind that Miller and Zirbes are both 1mil+ acquisitions per year that have given you almost nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                                I am not sure that it is completely true for all teams. My guess based on the players you have, is around 15 mil. That is somewhere in the middle in the Euroleague. I don't think it's impossible to build a contender in that price range, you just have to be good at scouting and picking players. Keep in mind that Miller and Zirbes are both 1mil acquisitions per year that have given you almost nothing.
                                there's no doubt that the actual budget can be spent much more profitably.

That's why i mentioned the title, i didn't write that it is impossible to improve. You forgot Devin Smith, one milion a year for an old player with a broken knee.

As i have read in haaretz (an israeli newspaper) there has been a lot of confusion concerning the player's choice.They claim that Federman brought some of them himself, Mizrahi added one or two, Edelstein chose two or three himself, Vuijic selected another three, Evin brought someone too.

A competitive team can't be built in such a manner, even if they increase the budget (they won't).

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information